EX-1850 - Weeks 5 & 6

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

EX-1850 - Weeks 5 & 6

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:39 am

EX-1850 - Weeks 5 & 6.

Lisa B

Unread post by Lisa B » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:22 am

We are in week 6 of Exploration to 1850. Anyone else doing that year? We have enjoyed learning about our country's early settlers. Last week the kids dressed up as Pilgrims and Indians and we played Indian games.

We are persevering with memorizing the book of James! We are on verse 13 of Chapter 1. Even the 3 and 5 yr. olds are picking up the verses. I found 98 cent weekly pill organizers at Walmart and filled each day with 3 tic tacs which can be eaten one-by-one as they say their daily memory verse (at breakfast, lunch, and dinner). The kids think that is really neat!

Another fun thing we did is to glue a copy of the hymn of the month (The Lord's My Shepherd) on the back of the hornbook that the children made. They use the hornbook each morning as we sing the hymn.

My 5 yr. old is doing MFW 1st grade. We recently had fun collecting seeds. We sorted them in a muffin tin and labeled them, from the big peach pit to tiny, unnamed wilflower seeds.

Oh, and we made bird's nests today (edible). One daughter is allergic to peanut butter, so we substited raw honey. Messy, but fun!

Thanks for letting me share.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:19 am

Sounds like you are having fun Lisa. We had a "Colonial Day" with some friends studying the same time period of history (but not MFW) and we got some activity books from the library.

At our day, we made the hornbooks and "had school" where the kid who brought in the firewood for the day got to sit near the fire. We chanted the "In Adam's Fall, we sinned all" poem.

We made mob caps for the girls and a powdered wig for my son (the only boy there).

We also made little canvas rugs that the kids still have in the doorways to their bedrooms.

For lunch, we had baked chicken, bread, apple crisp, and lemonade.

It's fun to share history with another family now and then.

I like your idea of putting the hymn on the hornbook.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Art - Rembrandt
1. My ds got a lot more excited about "etching" when we read about how it was probably done with a needle
(paragraphs 4 & 6)
http://www.rembrandtpainting.net/rembra ... hnique.htm
(warning - a couple of nudes in sidebars - though Rembrandt did this much less than some of the others!)

2. Here's are more visuals of Rembrandt's etching
http://www.aucklandartgallery.com/whats ... -rembrandt

3. Here are color versions of the "Annunciation" paintings that we compared to Rembrandt this week (we still liked Rembrandt's black & white the best!):
http://www.teachingmom.com/graphics/annunciation.jpg
http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=5594&rendTypeId=4

Science - Birds
1. The owl pellet was a great addition. We actually didn't get to it until the end of the Vertibrates in science (week 9), but it was a good finale. It was more like an archaeology dig than a dissection -- dry & not too yucky. There were a lot of bones and two skulls with little teeth in our pellet. I saw owl pellets at our convention, so that's a good place to look for them.

2. Also, I finally got us a decent magnifying glass at convention, and that was nice to have. Funny, I worried about the $200 microscope before the $5 magnifying glass :o)

3. While we studied birds, our co-op "happened" to have a nature center field trip and we made an easy little craft. It was a hanger for nesting materials.
  • - Use a 1-lb. onion net bag.
    - Fill it with different nesting materials like old string, yarn, and some kids even used a bit of tinsel to attract the birds' attention.
    - Tie up the bag and poke some of the strands out for the birds to see.
    - Just hang it up outside!
Colonies - Extra notes
During weeks 5 & 6, several colonies are in the readings but not all are assigned notebook pages. If you want to notice/discuss every single one, here is a list I made:

Colonies covered during weeks 5-6:
  • Massachusettes
    Rhode Island
    (New Hampshire is skipped in Bldg. a City pgs. 271-4, but is mentioned in In God We Trust - Wheelock - and in Sarah Whitcher's Story for the younger set)
    New York
    (New Jersey is read about in Bldg. on pgs. 303 & 300, but not notebooked separately)
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sun May 03, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:12 pm

HISTORY:
We loved learning about Massachusetts Colony. We originally come from MA and are planning a trip back soon and are very excited to be planning a trip to the Mayflower and Plymouth Plantation. It was neat studying about our home state. I have been learning so much myself from Building a City on a Hill. We made the hornbook and the butter (all kids made the butter) and it was fun! We ate our butter on crackers and even had some leftover buttermilk to make pancakes the next day. We could truly appreciate the physical labor of these people, and that was just making the butter! Reading about slavery has been touching. I nearly cried starting Amos Fortune and we are having great discussion about how much God loves all people and this terrible sin of slavery and taking people from their homes and family. It is neat how Marie has tied it right into the weekly history reading. The kid are asking me not to stop reading it. (We may attempt to also go and visit a memorial in Jaffrey, NH--we used to live close to Jaffrey).

SCIENCE:
The owl pellets were WAY COOL! Do not skip it!!! As I mentioned in a previous post, here in MO we are able to get educational trunks from the local conservation commission and they have one on Owls. We were able to watch a video on owls, how they collect the pellets, how the owls digestive system works and I was also able to get the pellets from them. It's all free. Check out your local conservation commission. We got together with a few other homeschoolers and did it. Several of the children had multiple skulls. Even my four year old loved this. It was great hands-on learning. We also got a Birds box from the conservation commission. It had a neat experiment of beak adaptation that we did. It was time consuming but great learning for the kids. We had several stations set up with three different representations for beaks (say, chop sticks, salad tongs and tweezers) and then the kids would have to see which "beak" could take uncooked rice out of a piece of wood (rice representing insects inside a tree). To add to this, we also did a library trip this week (which is an hour away) and we listened to Jonathan Park on the way and it was the first volume, where the Dad talks all about adaptation versus evolution, the finches on Galapagos Island, and Charles Darwin's findings. Isn't God so good to always put things "together" for the kids learning? It was neat. We made the birds' nests. One set with peanut butter, one with honey. They were tasty, but the ones made with honey does not need a whole cup of honey (oops!) I think next time I will try marshmallow fluff instead (I've done this before with marshmallow fluff). Oh, we loved the "pockets" for the marsupials. The kids made their pouches and little joeys to go inside. Another fun hands-on craft.

MEMORY:Even my four year old is doing it. It is going well and I am continually surprised by the children and their memorizing. It has been challenging for me too. They are doing their cursive practice with their bible memory. Tonight, the four year old recited to Dad at dinner almost the entire selection we have memorized so far (James 1:1-15). Good choice for memory work! I've made a game with strips of paper having one line on each strip of paper and the kids have to put it together in the right order. We've been working on idle time, and using our time wisely and to use it for studying the index cards or playing this game while I am tied up with another child. It's been helpful.
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:20 pm

Just a couple of ideas and resources -

Oiled paper windows -We took an activity from Adventures and did it again. Simply oil a piece a paper and show how oiled parchment was better for a window than paper alone.

Making paper - We made our own paper for the Mayflower Compact which was fun.

Focus on the Family Radio Theatre's Squanto - A great story of Squanto on CD. There are several versions of the Squanto story but we enjoy this in the car -

Mayflower and the Pilgrims of the New World by Nathaniel Philbrick - I just read this book and am going to pass it on to my 10 year old to read. A little dry but really provides a lot more background into the relationship between the Indians and the Pilgrims. I think it does a nice job showing that neither side was all evil or all good, that they each made mistakes. Not for younger siblings and is several hundred pages long. There is an adult version but I read the young adult which was enough history for me!
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie - Staff

Could we combine the colonies map?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Michele in WA wrote:Is there any reason why I couldn't just use one copy of the map (for each child) and have them color each colony a different color as we go, then on a separate paper write the summaries? I'm making my copies, for multiple children, and it just seemed kind of redundant to me. But maybe I'm not seeing the "big" picture?
Posted Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:27 pm by Julie in MN
Hi Michele,
I think you can adapt it & still maintain the learning.

My ds did all 13 pages. He colored in the little area for that state & then ran it through the printer with the little summary he typed up. He liked that it was a BIG map and LITTLE space to write a summary :o)

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:38 pm by cbollin
The one thing in the back of my mind is that some kids might benefit from having the colony colored in on the same sheet as their summary in order to see where it is on the map.

Perhaps you could still have your master copy where all of them will be colored in and still let them do a summary and an individual map where only the one colony is colored???

-crystal

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:49 pm by Michele in WA
Thanks ladies, I knew you'd be able to help me "think" through this one. Lol, yes, my kids will love the big map, small summary part too!

Thanks again,
Michele

TriciaMR

Making Butter - it worked!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm so excited... We're in EXP1850, and it worked! We used a smaller jar, probably only 2 inches in diameter, and 4 inches tall, and I got just a pint of Ultra-Pasturized Whipping Cream. Filled the jar halfway, put the lid on and started shaking. For the first 10-11 minutes, it didn't seem like anything was happening, then between minutes 12-13, suddenly stuff started congealing, and by 14 minutes, we had about 2-3 T of butter. So cool! (I'm really excited, because for us, sometimes little things like this don't work and it's aggravating.) Tastes really good on Ritz crackers. :)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: Making Butter - it worked!

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:34 pm

fun fun fun!!!!

same here last week. we used a baby food jar and filled it half way with heavy cream. shake it hard toward the end and the lump is there. it is soooooooo wild!

-crystal

momma2boys

Unread post by momma2boys » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Such fun! :) I taught a class once at our home school co-op called "The Modern Pioneer Woman". And we made butter - both with the jar shaking method and with the food processor method. Then we enjoyed our butter on some homemade bread! Fun.
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

MuzzaBunny

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Yay! We just did the same thing in the Cow unit of K! I had shaken our pint of cream for 30 min and was just about to give up. I opened the jar to peek, then shook a bit and bang! We had butter! Must have needed that air from peeking in? It was really awesome anyway! We had ours on fresh sweet corn! :-)
Bunny

Julie in MN

Alex Haley's Roots

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:46 am

blessedmomof3 wrote:We are currently in Ex. to 1850 and was wondering if anyone watched the Roots miniseries when learning about slavery. My kids are 13 and 11 (with a 5 year old who obviously would NOT be watching).

Thanks for your answers.
Kelli
Hi Kelli,
I looked into watching Roots this past school year with my then-11th grader. Not only did it give a lengthy explanation of the history of an American slave family over time, but I explained to ds what a phenomenon the miniseries was in my era (this dates me LOL but I must have been about 19). It was rather a new perspective in the 1970s and prompted quite a dialogue. I heard even Las Vegas was empty or closed during the hours it was broadcast.

We weren't able to locate it on Netflix, the library, YouTube, etc. I think it was expensive to purchase. It would also have been a time commitment, at like 10 hours, and high school gets to be a time crunch. So, he didn't watch it, but we talked about it.

I think it would be a good thing to do as a family, but your students need to be able to face some scenes filmed with the purpose of not ignoring some of the worst things that happened. I envisioned discussion about what we can learn from it as well as what the movie leaves out.

Others I hear a lot about homeschoolers using for this era:
* Amistad, the slave ship that revolted.
* Glory, the volunteer African-American company in the Civil War.

And of course we loved reading Courage To Run in 1850MOD. We read more about Harriet's later life after that (I think I posted about that on the Ideas forum).
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Re: Alex Haley's Roots

Unread post by gratitude » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 am

I did a very involved study of the Civil War in 8th grade complete with reading Uncle Tom's Cabin and doing debates.

As a part of this era I was doing in school my mother showed me the movie Roots. She like to get involved in my education! :) I was age 14. I could handle it at that age. It was heavy and a bit shocking in places, but I could handle it at that point. I remember us discussing it some.

I might show it to a 13 year old, but not 11 and definitely not 5.

I read the book at age 21 and it was extremely good. A bit depressing to read, but eye-opening and installed in me a real compassion for the people who endured that era. I don't think I would recommend it for any younger than high school age at a point when the student is mature enough to pull from it the real intent the author has in sharing the information.

blessedmomof3

Re: Alex Haley's Roots

Unread post by blessedmomof3 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:09 am

Thank you both for your answers. I'm still thinking about this one. I may hold off since even my 13 year old is pretty sensitive.

Kelli