EX-1850 - Weeks 3 & 4

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

EX-1850 - Weeks 3 & 4

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:39 am

EX-1850 - Weeks 3 & 4.

Julie in MN

Weeks 3-4 EX1850

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:24 am

1. Hymns
If you're looking around your house for My Country 'Tis Of Thee to use with the hymn study this week, it may help to know that it's actually named "America"!

2. Jamestown summary & Pocahontas movie
I wanted my 6th grader to do the summary of Jamestown. He didn't feel comfortable enough that he knew the information so we found the book basket to be very helpful in giving him enough mastery to write his summary.

That's my first recommendation -- use the book basket to help write the summaries!

After he had summarized Jamestown, I decided he should add at least a sentence about Pocahontas to it. He watched the recommended Nest video for extra info. That was helpful. BUT, then he wanted to watch the Disney version (not on the recommended list). We had watched Disney's Robin Hood while doing RTR and it kept pretty close to the story line, so I thought, why not? Big mistake! Disney's Pocahontas is SO far from the real story line that ds got all mixed up, & upset that I was correcting his notebook page so much. (John Smith was NOT a hero on the trip over, Pocahontas did NOT marry John Smith, etc etc.)

My second recommendation: Have your child write their summary BEFORE watching Disney!

3. DVD - Rembrandt
My library had one of the recommended books but it was also available on video -- Rembrandt from the series, "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists." My ds really enjoyed the humor in this video, and got a good idea of this artist's work along the way. For example, ds really chuckled when they showed Picasso with a woman who had a scrambled up face (something like his artwork :o)

4. Mayflower Compact - "Old" paper idea
When I printed out the Mayflower Compact page for his notebook, I felt my son needed to "interact" with the page in some way in order to retain this in his brain. I asked him whether he would like to color the border, to re-enact it, or what ideas he had?

He suggested we print it out on "old, wrinkled" paper. I went thru our box of paper & found some of my daughter's "calligraphy paper" which looks kinda like parchment. We were happy with the result!

We actually ended up using this "calligraphy" paper for several things this year.

5. Read-aloud
I wasn't sure my 12-year-old son was going to enjoy the read-aloud Almost Home. Now that we've finished it, I want to highly recommend it to other parents who may wonder the same thing about their boys. I often have my ds do a little rating scale on books he reads, and he gave this book his highest rating yet :o) It's a 1-5 scale (from a high school book I had on hand, called Form-U-La), and rates things like Moral Value, Historical Value, Spiritual Value, etc. So ds got a lot out of this book even though it didn't seem like his usual cup of tea at first.

Also, it really reinforced the details of the Mayflower expedition.

Oooh, I love having an idea forum again this year :o)

6. Book Basket & Independent Reading
Squanto
from the 2nd/3rd grade package

John Billington, Friend of Squanto
by Clyde Robert Bulla

During this time, when Squanto is scheduled for 2nd/3rd graders, my 6th grader enjoyed reading Squanto for his independent reading time. And at some point, he picked up a related book I had in book basket which he enjoyed: John Billington, Friend of Squanto. My son said something like, "It's the story of the worst kid who ended up helping two whole groups of people. Maybe even I can do great things?!" (I didn't pre-read this but I did pre-read the author's book on Vikings, which was recommended on the book basket lists, & we both liked that one.)
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sun May 03, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Tina

Weeks 3 & 4

Unread post by Tina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:47 pm

We enjoyed making the wigwams. We liked coating them with glue and making the door when it was dry. We had different colored wigwams here! We also had the opportunity to get together with a few other families and do an "Explorer's day". One mom set up sheets on a clip-board with descriptions of each of the explorers we've studied, where they went and what the flag looked like for that country. She then put "stations" throughout her house with different items at each "station". We looked at different animal skins and talked about what each animal was. We played a tracking game where there were several mammals' tracks on a large sheet and the kids had to guess what animal made the track. The children also did a short presentation on an explorer of their choice. It was a fun "Explorer's Day". We also did the twig toss for indian games. We haven't made the others yet.

The read aloud is great. All of us are impressed with how well it's going along with the history study. It is eye-opening for all of us to get a closer look at who the "pilgrims" were and what was really going on in the world at that time.

We have enjoyed the art too. We did the still life and looking at the various art during this time frame (the Baroque period and Rubens). Each kid was excited to find an inanimate object to paint for the still life.

We were all pretty sad about the world's view on man and apes. It is still something that tugs at the heart of my 10 yr. old boy. I am grateful for "The Animal Kingdom" and how its been a big help in walking thru this concept with the kids--and, sticking to scripture is key--always go back and read truth in your scripture!

Memorization--they are doing great! I am really impressed and proud at how well each of them are memorizing. Dad comes home and we recite and before bed each night we recite. Every opportunity we take to recite. Oh, also, at our Explorer's Day, as a group, the kids were reciting their James verses! There were five families there, all doing the same year study and it was cool to hear them all recite the first 11 verses of James. I have been impressed.
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

Jenileigh

Week 3 ending Exp-1850

Unread post by Jenileigh » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:59 pm

What another great week. Sticking pretty well to schedule, getting up, seeking God, eating breakfast, hymn, bible and then history, music and art. We do all of this together and then split for the work that is done separately and its working so well for us.

Our wigwams turned out beautifully! Dh was off on Monday so he actually done these with the girls. The girls are memorizing their scriptures very very well, I'm truly impressed!

I grade Meadow each day and grade Sky at the end of the week, then I read through my lesson plans for the upcoming week and make necessary copies among other preparations and I'm done!

I've never ever schooled this way before. Not ever. I've always been so laid back. Its hard work but I have to admit I'm taking more pride in teaching the girls and we are accomplishing so much more. Our days aren't forced or overloaded, just very full and satisfying.

We finished the entire 3rd week. I feel accomplished.
~Jenileigh
Daughter of the King
You can find us at
http://kingdomacademyhomeschool.blogspot.com/
Homeschooling 2 dd's
Youngest-MFW K, 1st, Exp-1850 w/supplement, moving into 1850's-Modern w/supplement
Middle Exp-1850, moving into 1850's-Modern

Michele in WA

Unread post by Michele in WA » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Jenileigh,
I wanted to tell you that I was blessed by your post, and I'm glad you are enjoying the year so far! We are doing ex-1850 and the younger supplement also, and my dh happened to do wigwams with the kids, too. Good thing, because I know others have had difficulty with them, and had it been me helping them, they wouldn't have turned out right. My two boys ended up making a village with 3 wigwams, diorama style. It is really nice!

We are sticking to the MFW schedule this year, more so than we have in the past, and it has made all the difference to our days. My oldest daughter keeps telling me this is her favorite year!

Keep enjoying it!
Michele

[Editor's Note: Wigwam problems & solutions can be found here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... wam#p48523 ]

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:49 am

Sticking to the schedule as closely as possible has always made a big difference for us, too. Whenever I start trying to tweak too much, that's when we have problems.

We haven't done EX1850 yet, but we did Adventures and I remember the wigwam project. I have one who really enjoyed it and spent a long time making it "perfect". I have one who I discovered HATES messy projects and I had to do much of the glueing for her. Then I have another who just couldn't manipulate all the little pieces and the glueing yet, so I had to do a lot of hers, too. It was fun, but it was an interesting discovery in the likes and dislikes of my children. That's one thing I love about MFW... learning about each my children as we go. Because it's designed for multi-age learning and is multi-sensory, we can easily pick and choose how much of the extras to do. I may even just have one or two children do some projects and not others. There's so much built-in flexibility with MFW!

I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying it.... just remember that when you hit a bump (and you will... we all do) hang in there and keep going! You'll see little bits of growth along the way, and then eventually, bigger fruits of your labor as you get farther down the road.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Joyhomeschool

Tip for Exp-1850 Week 3

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Well... I have Got to chuckle! It really pays to read your Teachers Guide thoroughly BEFORE starting week one! Especially if you have a large family..............

Well, in case you havent started yet, there is no "advanced" label and The City on a Hill book is meant for 6th and up, then there are a couple books meant for 5th and down (sotw, ect) and then the 2nd and 3rd supplement. SO, I had been reading ALL those books to ALL my kids, giggle. No wonder it was taking hours! So there you have it.. read the TM!!!
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

4Truth

Re: Tip for Exp-1850

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Joyhomeschool wrote: It really pays to read your Teachers Guide thoroughly BEFORE starting week one!
YES! I tell people this ALL the time. 8[] I also tell people who are several weeks in and struggling to go back and RE-read the teaching tips and scheduling suggestions, the how-to-use-this-curriculum section... and be sure NOT to skip her notes in the weekly sections, either! Even *I* have had to go back and re-read sometimes, because let's face it, it's easy to get distracted or get busy with life and start trying to skim or move things around on our own.... :~

Thanks for sharing! :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Yes, I like to read a new teacher's manual over and over the summer beforehand. It takes me a while to absorb things :)
Joyhomeschool wrote:then there are a couple books meant for 5th and down (sotw, ect)
Fortunately, there isn't something in all categories every day. The City on the Hill is just for the 13 colonies, and the 2nd-3rd supplement is just periodic.

But when you do have all of the levels going at the same time, I wanted to be sure you realized there are some "family" things that you can all do together. The state sheets for sure, and even SOTW and the "middle books" are for everyone really (although the littles may or may not stay through the entire chapter and narration).

Hmmm, maybe it's time for me to re-read the 12th grade manual, thanks for the reminder :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:56 am

I had a 6th grader and twin 2nd graders that year.

Oldest had all the readings - she enjoyed the 2nd & 3rd grade readings, but I did not allow her to narrate or she would have taken over.

So, SOTW is also for 4th - 8th.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Cyndi (AZ)

EX1850 - fun Pilgrim video on netflix

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:58 pm

We found a Charlie Brown video on Netflix that does an awesome job at "cartoonizing" some accurate facts about the Pilgrims, the Mayflower, Squanto, and the First Thanksgiving. It is a 24 min video (and does include all of the Charlie Brown characters, not so factual there, but very fun) called "The Mayflower Voyagers." I thought it went along with our current study really well. Note: it is an older video, so it refers to "Indians" not "Native Americans," but there are plenty of references to thanking God.
kw4blessings wrote:Oh fun! We're doing Adventures, so that would work well for us, too. Thanks for sharing :-)
Oh, it would be a great addition to ADV! I don't know why I didn't think of that! It's better suited to the younger set, but I was very impressed with how much accurate info they packed into a short video.
Julie in MN wrote:It's on netflix streaming on my computer, I just put this in the search box:
The Mayflower Voyagers

It's playing on my computer now :) Thanks, Cyndi!
Julie
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL