General ideas for Bible: The Book of James

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

General ideas for Bible: The Book of James

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:40 am

General ideas for Bible: The Book of James.

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:38 am

After spending two days flipping back and forth in the "Boy have I got problems" to read the verses in James, I copied them and Bible went much smoother. I also figured I could cut the copies up to glue into our Index card Notebooks (great find at Wal-Mart - index card binders).

I was a little concerned about this years Bible being over the head of my 3rd graders but they have been able to keep up with no problem. I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of understanding that they had. I think MFW has really helped to prepare them for this! God is using what we've learned already and doing the inductive method before we memorize the verses has helped prepare us for that task.

After 6 years of using MFW, you'd think I'd stop questioning their methods but once again MFW has shown that they have carefully and prayerfully thought through their curriculum choices. Thanks!
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks, Dawn for those tips on the index cards. We punched holes in our index cards and are using those circle metal clips to hold them together, then we can add more index cards if needed. I have also used 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock to write the bible memory on to also study from. I am really amazed at how quickly the kids are picking up the memory, especially when we make it fun. We've been playing games on the white board (erasing a line or two) and things like that. Reciting at night and to Dad is also helpful. They never foget to quiz me, too!
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:19 am

We used a 2 ring binder specifically made for index cards for our verses.
We also have a printed copy (from Biblegateway) on the wall near the kitchen table. That way we could read along.

The pill box idea (in the manual) didn't last for long in our house. (introduced around week 6).

Right before we did chapter 1, verses 22-24, we played that part out by having the kids look in mirror for about 5 seconds, walk around, and then try to describe something about their faces or hair. Then we read those verses.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:06 pm

About halfway through the year, Marie has us reinforce the value of memorizing scripture. What a great plan! Even the read-aloud about Mary Jones reinforces scripture memorization.

So then the next week, I decided to reinforce the Book of James itself, in terms of its identity and value, by reading from a book we have called What the Bible is All About. You might have a book like that around the house, but even if you don't, it seemed good to stop & think about what we have been working so hard on all these weeks.

The main points we learned about the Book were that James is one of the "general letters" -- written to believers scattered across many nations, rather than written to a specific city like Philippians was written to the people of Philippi. So that's why James is named after the author rather than the readers.

We also learned that most likely James is Jesus' half brother, who became such a strong follower of Jesus after the resurrection that he wrote a book of the Bible!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

jan in nc

Re: General ideas for Bible: The Book of James

Unread post by jan in nc » Wed May 13, 2009 8:32 am

I am copying the verses in cursive and print on my weekly file folders. It seems that every week I copy the verses for handwriting and the paper gets lost before the second or third child gets to it. Then I end up copying it again. It's easy to stick a loose piece of paper into a notebook and lose it. I hope this method will work better.

I love the index card idea. We will use that as well.

Colleen

Kindles/Nooks - are they useful in your school?

Unread post by Colleen » Sat May 21, 2011 10:36 pm

There is one thing I use my Kindle for sometimes in "school". We are in EX to 1850, so they are memorizing James this year. I got an e-book of the version they are memorizing on the kindle (no it wasn't free ;) ). I can enlarge the text so that it is easier to copy from than from the tiny Bible print that they otherwise use. They don't use the kindle all the time, just once in a while. I also like to use it for me to follow along when they quote James - just because it's fun and my toddler doesn't write on my kindle like he tries to in my Bible! (BTW, be careful if you are wanting to buy an NIV for the Kindle. There is an "old" 1984 version and the "new" 2011 version and they are pretty noticeably different. Get the free sample on your Kindle first to make sure you're getting what you expect!)
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

sonbailes

Unread post by sonbailes » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 pm

For those of you who enjoy lapbooks: I just found a lapbook made especially for memorizing the book of James. You can use the mini-books or notebook pages or both. Go to Nadene's website at http://www.practicalpages.wordpress.com and type in "James" in the search box. It should take you to May 24 and you will see sample pages from the lapbook plus the downloads.

lauramb

Unread post by lauramb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:42 am

I wanted to chime in on something I did this year for Boy, Have I Got Problems. I took the three books (I have three in EX1850) to Office Depot and had them spiral bind all three (cost less than $10, about $2 apiece). I requested that they remove the pages in the back with the text (worksheets) and leave them separate/loose. I ended up taping those as small mini-workbooks. Now when we use our book, the book lays flat or even can be flipped over on itself to reveal just one page. And we have the worksheets separate and to the side for marking on with our colored pencils, etc. Has worked wonderfully!

I also bought the spiral bound 100 page 3x5 cards. Each night I write the scripture they are to copy on the dry erase board. Some of the verses we will have to double up (like we wrote 1:2-3 on one card). These booklets have a nice plastic cover on the front which I encouraged them to decorate and put the words "Book of James" on. Dad and Mom have their own spiral 3x5 notebook as well! Even my 9th grader (who is in AHL) is doing this memory work of the book of James with us and has his own spiral 3x5 notebook!! So very excited to do this memory work this year as a family. :)