General ideas for Exploration to 1850

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:42 am

More ideas might be found in other places on the boards:
Preparation: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6464
Archived user questions: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=18

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:19 am

Independent Readers
I purchased the 2nd-3rd grade supplement read-alouds to use as independent-readers for my 6th grade ds. They were easy but good stories, enjoyable to read, and based on true events. I ended up reading them myself as well, so we could discuss them (ds is a very social child). I think it took me an hour or so to read each one to myself.

(I should mention that 2 books from Adventures did *not* work for my 6-7th grader: American Pioneers & Patriots as well as 4th of July Story. Each child is different, but maybe that'll be helpful to someone as they make decisions about book basket purchases.)

Book Basket
Many of the American History events and characters are portrayed in early readers like the Step Into Reading Series. Libraries and book stores carry lots of these. My 6th grader read a couple of them and felt he got his questions answered without being burdened with too much info. To me, they often seemed accurate and readable.

Some that are the same size as Step Into Reading but cover a little more include:
- History Maker Bios series
- On My Own Biography series

Notebooking - Taking notes helped
About halfway through the year, I told ds that he was going to take notes during the readings so he could remember the important stuff when he got to writing. Somehow, in between reading/narrating correctly and walking over to the computer to write it in his notebook page, the information was falling out of his brain...

Taking notes worked!!! He just jotted down words & short phrases, but it was enough to not only help him as he wrote, but often even helped him remember without needing to use the notes!

So at least for a 7th grader, consider having them take short notes during the reading. It's great practice for college, anyways :o)

Prayer
Our local Christian bookstore (Northwestern Books) gave me a booklet called, "If My People... A 40-Day Prayer Guide for Our Nation."
It includes many prayers of former U.S. Presidents. Wow - our early leaders were not afraid to ask God for guidance - publicly and at length! These might be worth looking up in some resource or another. You can find some online, such as here: http://www.ndpsandiego.org/tiki-index.p ... +on+Prayer

We also used the daily prayers to practice praying for our nation. Note: This is really a focus in 1850MOD, so it will be covered later.

Supplies
We found that some of my daughter's "calligraphy paper" looks kinda like parchment, or "old looking paper" as ds would say. We ended up using it a lot this year, to print out various things from the appendix (Mayflower Compact, hornbook, Declaration of Independence, etc.).

Extra Crafts
Ds started 7th grade during our year with EX1850, and we added a "shop class with dad" to his day. Some of the things dad & ds did tied in nicely with EX1850.

* They went to a hobby store & got a couple of leather kits, such as putting together a pair of moccasins & decorating a leather wristband.

* They also did some woodburning to make a picture with American symbols on wood. (I had a kit from Michael's on clearance.)

Documents
If you don't have a great library (or home library), then you can find many American documents online, from the Mayflower Compact through the most recent Constitutional Amendments. Here are some sources:
Gov. archives: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/charters.html
C-Span authors: http://www.americanwriters.org/classroo ... adford.asp
US Gov. site for kids: http://www.kids.gov/6_8/6_8_government_presidents.shtml
Last edited by Julie in MN on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

mrsfields

Unread post by mrsfields » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:27 am

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Liberty Kids---we had a friend loan these movies to us. My 7 year old ds loved them and they were fun for American History. (Set in 1776.)

cherylinhi

Nice magazine resource for EX1850

Unread post by cherylinhi » Wed May 13, 2009 8:16 am

Postby Cheryl in HI » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:06 pm

For those who are participating in the Year 4-American History Pilot Program,

Time Magazine produced a special edition called "The Making of America-Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of a Nation" currently on newsstands for $10.99. I had a chance to skim through the 170-page magazine, and am amazed at the beautiful paintings of famous Americans, maps, and articles about historical sites in America.

Just thought I'd share this with you all. Have a great pilot year!!!!

Cheryl in HI

sewardmom

Oregon Trail Resource EX1850

Unread post by sewardmom » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 pm

In preparing for EX1850, I stumbled upon a helpful resource.

The Bureau of Land Management has a Oregon Trail Education Resource Guide that has some neat info and activity sheets that are free. I have the info on CD I picked up somewhere, but when I did a search on the internet I found where users are able to download the guide.

I didn't print all of it, but it has maps, vocab exercises, bingo, word searches, music, a play and more! And it's free :)

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

Julie in MN

EX1850 - Christian authored Salem witch trial books

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:58 pm

sewardmom wrote:I am looking for ideas for true accounts of the Salem witch trials (1692) preferrably from a Christian author's perspective. I just previewed The Witchcraft of Salem Village by Shirley Jackson but am uneasy about the authors personal interest in the occult and downplay of the seriousness of occultism. Does anyone know of a historically TRUE account of the Salem witch trials that might have a foreward/afterward possibly written from a Christian perspective?
Suggestions are appreciated,
~Terri
You might preview "In the Days of the Salem Witchcraft Trials" by Roach. It's at our library. It doesn't cover the trials in detail, but is more about the times. It clarifies some of the related Biblical beliefs of the colonists as well as Europeans, and shows that the Salem area was not rigidly uniform but quite varied and that their trials were similar to others of the times. My impression of the book's conclusion is that the community concerns may have been valid, the intentions good, but unproven accusations aren't going to result in the correct convictions? Not sure if it's what you are looking for.

sewardmom

EX1850 Book Recommendation

Unread post by sewardmom » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:43 pm

A book that has been a great addition to EX1850 for us is We the People by the Center for Civic Education. Ours is an older copy - 1988. There are so many books about the founders, consititution, branches of government... and we have used lots of them.

This one stands out as one of my favorites because of the simple typface and format with fun drawings. There are problem solving boxes in each section to help the student (and teacher) think about how/why a particular concept was put into place and applies it to real life situations.

I used this as a fun out loud reading book while we folded laundry.... I noticed the book has been updated and is available online at the CCE website. I can't vouch for the accuracy and non-partisan nature of the new copy, but I can say the copy we have is great. On their website, the CCE identifies itself as a non-profit, non-partisan organization. Hopefully the newer copies have followed along with the book I have.

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

dhudson

General ideas for Exploration to 1850 - Drive Thru History

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Just a plug for the newer "Drive Thru History" which discusses the American Revolution. They are fantastic and would be a great addition to EXP to 1850.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie - Staff

Laminate US Wall map??

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:27 pm

momofsix wrote:I was thinking I would have this map laminated because the only place to hang it is down low where my 1 yr old will love to tear it off the wall ... anyway, I called my local printing shops and the only one who can do it said it would be $80! Yes, $80! Whoa horsey!
I guess I need to get to a bigger city to do this. Has anyone had their map laminated? What's a fair price?
Postby 4littlehearts » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:27 pm
Oh it should not cost that much $$. Do you have a local teacher store in town? Sometimes they have low fees for laminating things.

What about covering it using clear contact paper. I, too have a little one (age 3) and plan on having mine laminated/covered with contact paper. I know my dh's work could laminate it (he works for a sign shop) but he told me the cost would be wayyyy too much there.

Postby Michelle in WA » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:44 pm
Not sure what map you are using, but Costco has laminated maps right now. They are about $6. HTH
momofsix wrote:We don't have a teacher store here. I might try the contact paper. I just know I'm not very skilled at getting it on wrinkle/bubble free :~
Postby Michelle in WA » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 pm
To get the bubbles out of contact paper, prick them with a pin & push the air toward the side. You can do it!

Postby NJCheryl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 pm
I did the contact paper on ours last year. It is not the prettiest job, but the price was right! If you try it, I would suggest using another set of hands. I did it my when my hubby was not home. I think it would have been easier to get it wrinkle free had we done it together. I should have been patient and waited for him, but I was just too excited! A lesson in patience for next time.
Cheryl

Postby chatmom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:47 pm
what about sewing a a clear shower curtain so that it forms a pocket to keep the map in? I am thinking along the lines of a big pocket protector. You could also use the shower curtain as a tablecloth with the map under it.

Postby doubleportion » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:57 pm
I had the same problem in our little town. Through our local Books A Million, I got the Rand McNally World Map like MFW sells but it is already laminated and has plastic bars across the top and bottom to hold it flat on the wall and clips to hang it from the wall. Maybe you can see if you can get something like that at a local bookstore in your town. I called Books A Million and they ordered it for me and called me when it came in. Amazon lists it for about 16.95. The ISBN is ISBN-10: 0528959948. Much cheaper than the 60 dollars or more it was going to cost me to laminate our paper one.
We are very happy with it and I think it will hold up through the rest of the rowdy crew coming up (I hope :~ )
Edie

Postby meagabby » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:24 pm
We did ECC 2 years ago and I was able to get a US and World Map at Walmart for under $12 (actually I think it was a set for 5.99 during back-to-school time). They are Rand McNally and laminated. Try Walmart or Target.

Postby momofsix » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:40 pm
Thanks for all your great tips! I went to Walmart tonight and got contact paper ... I should have looked to see if they had prelaminated maps but was in a hurry to get out of there. Maybe I'll call tomorrow to see if Target or Walmart has them before I embark on my contact paper adventure. I like the idea of having extra hands to get it on. I also like the idea of putting the map under the clear curtain. Actually, you can buy clear table covering by the fabric at Walmart. The only hesitation is that my 13 yr old would be way too distracted seeing the map there right under his nose!

Postby jasntas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 pm
I was going to have to hang ours low on the wall but I was afraid it would get bumped and tore. I really like the idea of using a clear tablecloth or shower curtain on your table. It just wouldn't have worked in our situation.

So I took the advice of someone else here on the board and taped ours to a display board so that I could put it away when not in use. (The tri fold type you use for science or art projects, etc. Got it from Walmart for about $4). The other poster (can't recall who at the moment, sorry) said she had to trim off one side of the map to make it fit but I took a cardboard box and added extra width to one side of the board. I taped it all the way around with packing tape and trimmed off the bottom with an exacto knife on a cutting board. I was very pleased with the results.

Postby doubleportion » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:49 pm
I found this http://www.mywonderfulworld.org/maps.html and plan on printing it and having the individual pages laminated and then taping them together. I plan on using it for a coop class that I will be teaching using ECC stuff. It's a free printable world map.
Edie

Postby 4littlehearts » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:27 pm
Momofsix,
Actually after I posted my advice to you earlier, I ended up calling around, and really no business, not Staples, Officemax, or even my teacher supply store had a big enough machine to laminate the World Map that comes with ECC. I did call some print shops and like you said it was really pricey ($26) or more.

Editor's note: A few more ideas may be found here http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3689

momofsix

Re: Laminate US Wall map??

Unread post by momofsix » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:50 pm

jasntas wrote:I took the advice of someone else here on the board and taped ours to a display board so that I could put it away when not in use. (The tri fold type you use for science or art projects, etc...
Postby momofsix » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:24 am
Oh, now I really like this idea! I actually have a folding cardboard sewing board that we used to have a timeline on ... maybe I could put it on there. Now I need to think about all of my options. Thanks!

Postby momofsix » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:50 pm
Here's what I came up with today: [see photos below]

Postby momofsix » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm
I should have used double sided tape to hold the map onto the board better, but the contact paper went on pretty well. If it lasts through the school year I'll be happy.
Thanks for all the great ideas & comments.
4littlehearts wrote:Edie, I love what you did.

How much does it cost to buy a sewing board like the one you had? I am not a seamstress so I am not familiar with sewing boards. I take it you could purchase something like that at a local sewing store like Jo-ann's or something. I, too, wanted something I could just pull out from under my couch when I needed to refer to it, but really did not want to hang it on our living room wall. Thanks for posting the pictures. You did a great job!
Posted Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:22 am by momofsix
Thank you :)

I believe the sewing board was $9-10, and I did get it at Joann's. I trimmed it down after adhering the map, then used clear packing tape to cover & secure the edges. Those sewing boards are large, I have a 20"x38" piece leftover.
I would check by the posterboard at Walmart, Target, etc, I know there are cardboard display boards but I'm not sure on the dimentions. But they are cheaper than $9, probably more about $5??

map 001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elissa in MN (really mom of 8 ) 3 boys: 16, 10, 7 & 5 girls: 13, 11, 5, 4, 1
Using: God's Creation from A to Z, Exploring Countries & Cultures, World History & Lit, Math-U-See, Sequential Spelling, Rod & Staff English...and more

Julie in MN

Re: General ideas for Exploration to 1850

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:49 pm

A few links I liked for this time period, or just fun maps for kids to fool around with, nicely done:

Maps of the US at different points in history, showing the growth
http://www.eduplace.com/ss/socsci/ca/bo ... index.html
http://www.eduplace.com/ss/maps/historical.html

Postal abbreviations
http://www.eduplace.com/ss/maps/usa.html

cbollin

Memory Games?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:18 am

Calicokat7 wrote:We're in the 6th week of Exp. to 1850 and I was thinking that it'd be fun to have a game to play to help cement the facts, names, & dates for some of the explorers & kings.

I can make this from 3x5 cards myself, but perhaps this has already been done? Sometimes these games are more acceptable to my kids if they don't think they're educational & mom made.

Does anyone have a suggestion?
I don't think it's a game, but a CD and flashcards.... vertias press... does something like that.?

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Memory Games?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:15 am

I was going to go look on our game shelf and see if anything caught my eye.

Might be a little too mom-created for what you want, but I know with my older dd I used The Ultimate Timeline & Geography book or whatever it's called, and it has a sort-of "who am I game" that would be easy to make on your own. Just make cards where one side has the fact and the other side has clues that get progressively more helpful. It can be a "who," a "what," a "where," etc. But making your own would match the info you're learning much better than someone else's questions.

Also, you can make your own online sets of flashcards on Quizlet and sites like that.

Julie

MelissaB

usborne quicklinks for "the last 500 years"

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:47 pm

joyfulmom wrote:We just started Exp to 1850 and in the past I often use pictures I can get from the Usborne Quicklinks pages. But even though "The Last 500 Years" is internet linked, I can't seem to find the page. When I contacted Usborne, so far they haven't helped. Do any of you have a direct link you could send me?

Thanks
Lori
In case you don't find the solution, other moms have posted several great links on the Exp.-1850 Ideas board that are very helpful.

Have a great year! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Re: usborne quicklinks for "the last 500 years"

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:03 pm

I agree with Melissa that the Ideas boards have great ideas.

Also wondering if this one would help?
http://www.usborne.com/quicklinks/eng/c ... HE&id=7170

Julie

joyfulmom

Re: usborne quicklinks for "the last 500 years"

Unread post by joyfulmom » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Julie - Thank you! That is the link I was looking for!! :)

Melissa - Thanks for the reminder to check here for other ideas. I know last year I got some very helpful ideas here!!
Lori

2016-2017 1st, 1850-Mod, Ancient History & Lit, 1877 to present
2015-2016 K, Exp to 1850, US history to 1877
2014-2015 RTR, World History
2013-2014 1st, CTG, Ancient History
2012-2013 K, ECC