1850-MOD - Weeks 29 & 30

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

1850-MOD - Weeks 29 & 30

Unread post by Marie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:32 pm

1850-MOD - Weeks 29 & 30.

Julie in MN

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 29 & 30

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:00 am

Week 29 - Bible
As we began the new Bible study, I didn't realize that we did NOT have to read the Bible verses at the beginning of the lesson. All of those verses will be read later, as you go through the chapter. In fact, the more I broke up the reading as we went along, the better ds could answer the questions. Also, having his own copy of the Bible on his lap helped him find any answers he couldn't remember.

Week 29 - Hawaii
(1) Map viewing
As in week 14, our Pacific-centered map was helpful. Ds was able to see Hawaii in relation to the islands mentioned on the Hawaii state page.

(You can find Pacific-centered maps at ODTmaps.com or just by doing a Google search for "Pacific-centered map" and then clicking on "images" at the top of the Google page. An outline map is here: http://whale.wheelock.edu/SAS/images/wrldpac.jpg )

NOTE: This type of map also was good to see during our study of Vietnam in week 30.

(2) Map labeling
For my 8th grader, I had him not only label the capital but also label the main islands on the state page -- Hawaii is the big island at the bottom, Maui is the next one up, Oahu is the next one about the size of Maui & has the capital Honolulu on it, and the last one of the same size is Kauai

(3) Book basket (I confess I am a used book store bibliophile):
ABC's of Hawai'i, by Esta & Donovan
This is your basic ABC of XXX book, but I wanted to be sure my son was exposed to some of the Hawaiian words that have become part of our American culture -- aloha, hula, luau, lei, muumuu, ukulele, Waikiki. (There were also some of the usual lame ones typical of ABC books that run out of ideas :) )

Things Hawai'i, by Carrie Ching.
This is like a tourist type book, but it explains things for older kids (and parents). For example, it talks about the men's "Aloha shirt" -- those ones with the big flowers. And I was interested to learn that the Muumuu dress is the result of trying to adapt 1800 European dresses to the Hawaiian figure. (I'm old enough that I remember a muumuu phase in popular culture around the 60s or 70s.)

Movie: Molokai: The Story of Father Damien
With Peter O'Toole as one of the lepers
My family really enjoyed this uplifting movie about a Belgian priest in the late 1800s who gave his entire life to giving God's love and service to a colony of lepers on one of the Hawaiian islands. It has some "issues" about Catholicism and about immorality of people who figure they're going to die anyways, but the visuals are discrete & I'm not sure how much younger ones would notice? Or maybe just parents & older kids might enjoy it as much as we did. As for learning about Hawaii, the movie shows the beautiful landscape, their royalty, and a little of their music.

Week 29 - Space Race book basket
Video: The Dish, with Sam Neill
This show is about Australia's part in relaying NASA's audio/video in the first moon landing. When the moon was not visible to the US, we relied on a dish in Australia to keep current on the astronauts -- including during the first step on the moon. It gives a pretty good portrait of life in the early 60s, the world's excitement at the amazing feat of man walking on the moon, the scientific challenges, human errors, and some actual footage of the first moon walk. Probably not fast-moving enough for little ones, and has a couple of angry words/lies, but otherwise clean.

Destination: Moon, The Spiritual and Scientific Voyage of the Eighth Man to Walk on the Moon, by Astronaut James Irwin. (Ours says it is the 15th Anniversary Expanded Edition, published by Vision Forum.)
Not about the first moon walk, but honest details about being an astronaut, including a real astronaut in awe of God's creation. Quite a bit of text, but lots of photos, too.

Week 29 - 50th state - finale idea to add to timeline book
After we did our last of the 50 state pages, I had an extra set of the state flag stickers & we added each state to the timeline book. It was a good review of how our nation formed. Ds was surprised at how the states bunched up on pages such as 1776 & 1800 (after the Louisiana purchase). The MFW flag stickers have the name of the state, so we just went thru his EX1850 and 1850MOD notebooks and stopped at each state page to get the year (double checking the back of each state page to be sure that we started with the 1st and ended with the 50th).

Week 29 - Cuba
(1) Live video called "JFK on the Cuban Missile Crisis 1962/10/22" (youtube)
Dh wanted us to watch President Kennedy actually speak to the nation about the Cuban Missile Crisis. We first discussed how many difficult decisions the president had to make before this speech -- what to think of the airplane photos, whether it was safer to do the blockade or just strike first, what to share with the public without causing a panic, etc. Afterward we evaluated how strong he was, how nervous, how reassuring, etc.
(Our Ds also found it interesting to hear a stronger accent than politicians seem to have these days. Ds still loves to say "Cuber" :) .)

(2) For the SOTW alphabet book activity on Cuba, my 8th grader didn't want to color pictures so he just wrote a little "forward" for the book -- a letter from Castro telling how his wonderful book would teach the people two things at the same time -- to read & to love the government :) He wrote it on the blank side of the student page & that one sheet went in his notebook.

Week 30 - Kennedy Assassination
I scheduled this lesson at a time when my dh, the history buff, was available to be a "guest teacher." He had us watch several things to bring our 8th grader "into the early 60's" (what can I say, we were alive then!). Dh also added a few comments to help connect the dots, which I've included below.

1. The day of the assassination, Kennedy was on a short political speaking tour to help his party in Texas. His wife attended, although this was rare for her. In the morning, Kennedy gave a breakfast speech in Fort Worth. A few jokes about hats were made as he was introduced -- dh explained that Kennedy never wore hats, and this was so unusual that some said he killed the hat industry :) Well, the men's hat industry, anyways; his wife always wore hats! So, we first watched a bit of the breakfast event and the hat jokes on Youtube under "President Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy in Fort Worth"

2. Then the Kennedys flew the short distance from Fort Worth to Dallas. We watched a bit of video of the trip & the warm welcome -- Youtube called "Kennedy's arrival in Dallas"

3. Then we watched what is probably the most famous home movie in history, showing Kennedy being shot. It can be found on Youtube under "Assassination of John F. Kennedy - Zapruder Film (Wide)" -- my son asked questions about home movies at the time, which were rare, they had no sound, and were on 8 mm. "movie" film.

4. Dh wanted our son to watch a little of the actual news broadcast when TV shows were interrupted to tell of the assassination. Some of the announcers teared up, including Cronkite. Also interesting was the fact that often there was no picture at first, but just the sound of announcer voices. Dh explained to our son that movie cameras took a long time to "warm up" at that time, so it took a while before they were able to get the cameras ready. Anyways, you can find quite a few videos online of the actual TV shows being interrupted (soap operas and such, with their original commercials), as well as just recordings of the news broadcasts.

5. There is also actual footage of the assassination of Oswald, because it happened while news cameras were all broadcasting live video of Oswald transported by police -- for instance, Youtube "Newsreel - Jack Ruby shoots Lee Harvey Oswald"

6. The funeral is on many online videos, as well. Dh tells us that Mrs. Kennedy planned a lot of it, and had to do so within about a day. It has many parallels to President Lincoln's funeral, including the same carriage or caisson, impressive horses, people walking, and so forth.

7. If you do a Google Images search under "Kennedy flame," you can see the JFK Eternal Flame and inscriptions at his gravesite. This site has links to pictures of many presidential and veteran memorials:
http://www.cte.unt.edu/home/Podcast_howto.html
Arlington National Cemetery is at the home designed by George Washington's step-son, and inherited by step-son's daughter, who married Robert E. Lee. Here's a list of historical folks buried at Arlington:
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/histor ... index.html
There's also an "unofficial" Arlington site with a lot of trivia:
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jfk.htm

Week 30 - MLK book basket
(1) Martin Luther King, Jr., The Man and the Dream,
A&E Biography video, 50 minutes (though the last 10 you could skip, about Vietnam & later things we hadn't covered yet).
This was pretty even-handed. It's for older kids, though. It presents MLK as a human being with different foibles, but doesn't go too much into scandals & the like. My son liked hearing from actual folks who knew him & were still alive to talk about it.

(2) Free at Last, The Language of Dr. King's Dream, by Michael Clay Thompson (I have the teacher's manual only)
(Royal Fireworks Press may be the only place you can find this)
For my 8th grader, I wanted to look at effective speaking & reflect on the importance of speeches in the world history we've covered so far, culminating this week with JFK and MLK.

The author of this book enthusiastically teaches grammar to gifted children, and this entire book is about the I Have a Dream speech which ends with "free at last." I just used the book as a tool -- I didn't use it *all* by any means. I used it to read several MLK quotes, outside of the Dream speech. Then we discussed some of the sections on grammar/poetry techniques in the speech, and how these kinds of tools help an audience to follow a long speech -- and to remember it. The book explains "anaphora" (repetition), vocabulary, metaphor, use of future tense verbs, etc.

For example, the anaphora section reprints a portion of the actual speech in light gray while certain repeated words are in bold so you can "see" how the same words are used throughout the speech. After these visuals (and some explanation in the book), there is a chart of how many times these certain phrases were found in the whole speech, so you can see which one was used most ("let freedom ring" wins at 13 times).

Week 30 - Vietnam book basket
DVD: Underground Reality: VIetnam
from Voice of the Martyrs (info on VOM is also in the 1850MOD manual, week 33)
Wow, this video is an impressive follow-up to studying the war. Distributing Bibles is still dangerous in Vietnam. The video follows a group of teens as they try to smuggle Christian materials into Vietnam. It includes some info about the Vietnam War, and even more about Vietnam today. It's humbling to see how they value their opportunity to worship, and we take ours for granted today. The video's too intense probably for young kids, and I had to tell my son that, no, I can't allow him to make a decision to take a dangerous trip like that until he's an adult! (The youngest teens in the video seem to be from Oklahoma, so they are probably from VOM families?) But it was very exciting for my 14 yo. It starts by introducing each teen and his/her interests as well as fears/excitement about the trip. It's active & has intense music. It becomes a bit scary at times but of course nothing violent is filmed. It's a true faith challenge.

America and Vietnam The Elephant and the Tiger, by Albert Marrin
This is a book for parents who want to understand more of the confusion about America's involvement in and reaction to the war in Vietnam. I have to say that it isn't as captivating as his WWI book, and the beginning started to annoy me with it's "good guy" and "bad guy" emphasis. However, by the end of the book, I felt it was a really thorough and in-depth look at almost every facet of the whole issue. Marrin uses a lot of direct quotes from the real people of history, which I appreciate. I can't imagine that many junior hi kids could absorb this book on their own, and I found no way myself to pull out bite-sized pieces because there would just be too much I'd want to include, but as an adult it was helpful and not overwhelming. My dh, who is a long-time history buff, finds Marrin's books interesting, as well.

Week 30 - Pres. Johnson
For those with older kids, a good resource for discussing the "great society" and the pros & cons of public vs. private help, there's a free DVD from "Stossel in the Classroom" for 2010 that includes many good discussion starters on this topic. http://www.stosselintheclassroom.org/in ... riptn.html
[Also applies to week 34]
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie - Staff

Re: 1850-MOD - Week 30

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:58 pm

"Martin Luther King Jr. used biblical language to inspire a generation to stand up to injustice and to hope for a better future."
from Museum of the Bible:

https://www.museumofthebible.org/book/minutes/654
(Scroll down underneath the video to read the transcript and see the exact verses mentioned.)

Marie

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 29 Wednesday

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am

Here’s something amazing you probably didn’t know about the moon landing:

https://www.museumofthebible.org/book/minutes/667

1-minute videos from the Museum of the Bible.

Marie