1850-MOD - Weeks 31 & 32

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

1850-MOD - Weeks 31 & 32

Unread post by Marie »

1850-MOD - Weeks 31 & 32.
Julie in MN

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 31 & 32

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Week 31 - President Carter
After ds had learned about Carter (from books & video we had), and before ds wrote about Carter, we did something extra this time since the first Carter election was the first time dh & I could vote. Dh & I each shared our own opinions about Carter, both what we thought back when we were 18 or so, all the way until now. We went back and forth, sometimes playing the role of Devil's Advocate in evaluating whether a particular thing was good or bad, and comparing Carter to other presidents. Ds really enjoyed listening to this conversation! He said it was "fun" :) And I think it helped him see that political choices are very complex, which puts ds a step ahead, IMO.

Week 31 - Soviet Invasions
(1) I shared once before that an old USSR map came in handy during 1850-MOD ( http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 09&#p50709 ). This week it was especially helpful. SOTW talks about the USSR "crossing the border" into Afghanistan. Well, according to current maps, there are a lot of countries in between Russia & Afghanistan. The SOTW map helped but was incomplete to ds. Only on an old USSR map could he really see how big the Soviet Union was in the world and how it reached down right to Afghanistan. It also makes the invasion into Afghanistan seem like a bigger deal.

(2) Instead of some of the recent SOTW mapping activities, I wanted to create a "cold war map" of the various communist countries we had read about in SOTW. Ds (now 14) is really getting into this topic. So after discussing the USSR & Afghanistan, I hunted for a basic blank political outline map ( http://www.eduplace.com/ss/maps/pdf/world_country.pdf ). I wrote "The Cold War: 1949-1991, Communism vs. NATO" as a title. He colored in Cuba, Vietnam, East Germany, North Korea, and the USSR from the map in The Last 500 Years in red, and Afghanistan in pink. I think the biggest impression was of how small non-communist Europe was becoming.

Week 32 - Pres. Reagan
(1) For older students writing longer summaries on the presidents, you may want to wait until Monday of week 33 to finish Reagan's page, since Monday is a lot about Reagan.

(2) Our little "If My People" prayer guide has a "prayer" by Reagan that was nice. You can also read it here:
http://www.seekgodsface.org/2009/02/ronald-reagan/

(3) I think that for kids to get a sense of Reagan, they really need to read/hear/see what a strong speaker he was. You can find audios, videos, and quotes online. There are so many famous quotes that I can't decide which would best encapsulate Reagan -- from funny jokes, to sobering appeals to faith, to wry political quips. Because some of the web searches send you ads along with the quotes, I'm just going to copy my own list (rather than posting links):

Faith & Values
-I'm convinced more than ever that man finds liberation only when he binds himself to God and commits himself to his fellow man.
-Within the covers of the Bible are all the answers for all the problems men face.
-I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. congress
-Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction
-All great change in America begins at the dinner table.
-There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit.
-Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born.

Patriotism

-Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!
-Coercion, after all, merely captures man. Freedom captivates him.
-How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
-The orderly transfer of authority as called for in the Constitution routinely takes place, as it has for almost two centuries, and few of us stop to think how unique we really are. In the eyes of many in the world, this every-four-year ceremony we accept as normal is nothing less than a miracle.
-Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.

Funnies
-Honey, I forgot to duck. (after he was shot)
-I hope you're all Republican. (to his surgeons after he was shot)
-I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience.
-You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful. (explaining why he liked to have jelly beans at important meetings)
-I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.
-Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.

Political style

-Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.
-The size of the federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern.
-Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence.
-Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-A tree is a tree. How many more do you have to look at? (opposing expansion of Redwood National Park)
-How can a president not be an actor?
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs