1850-MOD - Week 28

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

1850-MOD - Week 28

Unread post by Marie »

1850-MOD - Week 28.
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

In weeks 27- 28, the science was going over the top of my 3rd grader's head. It was fine for the 6th grader.

We ended up reading together from The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip, by J. Cole and B. Degen. It helped my younger child tie it all together with the pictures in the World of Science book. And was a nice summary for her at the end of this science unit. I'm glad we went through the World of Science's E&M (electricity and magnetism) unit and then waited to read Magic School Bus at the end. It gave time for the information to click.

-crystal
Julie in MN

Re: 1850-MOD - Week 28

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Whew, this was a BIG history week!

Week 28 - Vietnam Divided
I have just one student, so we didn't play the optional game "The 12 Recommendations." Instead, ds wrote "DO" and "DON'T" on a blank paper and glued the rules under each category.

Also, similar to the way we handled China, we carefully went through the different events in SOTW leading up to the split of Vietnam into two countries & wrote it out. It actually connected well to our discussion of China/Taiwan & WWII effects, reinforcing the same connections. This took some extra time but was a good learning experience for an 8th grader.

Week 28 - Korean War
My son's impression of the Korean War at first was that it was pointless. So we went over the details and reviewed other political changes in the area, but the thing that affected him most was reading in book basket about a real veteran (a POW) who served in the Korean War. That gave him a lot more respect for the purpose of the war and those who served. (I had a Cobblestone issue about the Korean War.)

If you don't have a book, you can watch some videos at the Veterans History Project. Choose Korean War, POW, or whatever you're interested in, and there may be a recorded interview: http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/html/s ... earch.html (An ambitious student might even submit their own interview!)

You can also
  • do a Google search to see pictures of the Korean War memorial
  • search C-SPAN.org and Youtube for "video Interview with Korean War veteran"
Week 28 - MacArthur
The MacArthur speech which is printed in the SOTW activity pages can be listened to on Youtube.
Your library might have the Scholastic book & cassette, Great American Speeches, which also includes excerpts from MacArthur himself giving this resignation speech.
Also, We Interrupt This Broadcast is a book/CD set that includes President Truman's broadcast to the nation about letting MacArthur go.

Week 28 - Evita
Instead of doing the outline, we just discussed the ups & downs of the Peron family. It was a nice break after I had ds write a lot about some of the recent topics.
Instead of playing the treasure hunt game with my 8th grader, we just took turns reading the post-mortem events of Evita's body, and that page went into his notebook for this lesson. I just wrote a caption and dates at the top.

I also sang "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina," a few times this week :) LiveVideo.com has a version I like with lots of historical pictures -- the title is: JULIE COVINGTON "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" (sort your search by "relevance"). More local footage, a tiny bit of Evita actually giving a speech, and the song in Spanish can be found at Youtube under the title: No llores por mí Argentina - María Isabel Bozzini

Week 28 - Alaska
Book basket: Northern Lights, by D. M. Souza
Tons of photos, plus some explanation of the science behind the Northern Lights
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs