1850-MOD - Weeks 24 & 25 (including WWII)

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

1850-MOD - Weeks 24 & 25 (including WWII)

Unread post by Marie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:33 pm

1850-MOD - Weeks 24 & 25 (including WWII).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:43 am

Quick reminder for week 24, younger supplement --- if you have the book Native Americans (used in Adventures, and in the EX1850 younger supplement) this might be a nice time to review parts that book, or put it in basket time.

Just a reminder on Week 25 with the younger sib supplement...

There's a great thread in the Adventures Archive to enrich the study this week for the younger kids while dealing with the hard stuff the older ones are studying. It's related to the bird study that the youngers are doing in the Fact book.

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=330

I found it was a nice way to substitute a bit for book basket time for younger child this week in light of the world history topic.

-crystal

Debbie M.

Book idea

Unread post by Debbie M. » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:31 pm

Book Idea - Bible Section

An interesting book that goes into detail about the five unreached people groups (THUMB), as mentioned in MFW weeks 24-28, is called "UNVEILED AT LAST -Discover God's Hidden Message from Genesis to Revelation" by Bob Sjorgren. It is published by YWAM with copyright 1992. It has a pie chart showing the # of people in each of the five groups on pp. 137-138. At the front of the book, the first paragraph of the Dedication states, "This book is dedicated to the unreached Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Chinese (Unreligious), and tribal groups of the world. It is hoped that God will use this book to be a catalyst in sending laborers to start churches among the many unreached so that His fullest glory is reached."
This would be for an older child or adult.

Julie in MN

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 24 & 25 (including WWII)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Week 24 - Extra book basket from Hitler era for older kids

Passage to Freedom, The Sugihara Story
By Ken Mochizuki
A true story of a Japanese man who writes Visas to Japan for Jewish refugees, day and night, up until he is deported and even while on the train out, throwing them out the window! Picture book format with text equivalent to an easy chapter book.

Shadow of His Hand, A story based on the life of Holocaust survivor Anita Dittman
By Wendy Lawton, Daughters of the Faith series
This is a chapter book from the Daughters of the Faith series that MFW uses for 2 other read-alouds. Anita Dittman had a Jewish mother and she shares experiences that helped me understand how the Holocaust crept into the lives of ordinary people so gradually that it didn't seem as shocking as it does in hindsight. Anita and her mother became committed Christians during the war and noticed many blessings and small miracles amidst their great suffering.

Hansi, The Girl Who Loved the Swastika, By Maria Anne Hirschmann
interestingly renamed Hansi, The Girl Who Left the Swastika
  • (with an added chapter that mentions Hansi meeting Corrie Ten Boom)
This is an autobiography of a poor Czech girl who was raised as a Christian, became a committed Nazi Youth, and then slowly returned to her faith. This book answered so many of my questions about how the German people (whose passion for their faith basically started the Reformation) could have followed Hitler willingly. It included little personal details, such as how she grappled with faith issues (and lost) during her days with the Nazi Youth, and how she dealt with forgiveness on many levels after the atrocities she'd been through. She is highly complimentary of American servicemen and is now an American herself. I learned a lot as an adult from the book. For parents & mature teens.

Audio: Maria Anne Hirschmann - Part 5
If you are comfortable with YouTube, do a search for "Maria Anne Hirschmann" and watch part 5 of 5". Part 5 is a speech about truly appreciating freedom, not anarchy, but freedom in the real sense (God's sense) of the word.

Documentary: Hitler's Children, episode #2 "Dedication" of 5-part series
Dh found this series to go along with my curiosity about the Nazi Youth, particularly the episode on the girls (after I had read the book above). These are documentaries which include old newsreel footage as well as current interviews with survivors. It's very eye-opening as a parent to see how a country could let this all happen to their children.

Movie: Come See the Paradise,
About the Japanese internment here in the USA. It was a theater movie so it had extra "issues" of love & family disagreements and labor unions. But it visualized a lot of the Japanese-American issues, and did not become overly depressing for me.

Miniseries: Holocaust, by The Family Channel, from the 1970s
Starring Meryl Streep & several other well-known actors
For kids old enough to start asking "how" and "why," this older miniseries covers many of the main events we learned about. To me, it highlights how Jewish individuals responded, from disbelief to various levels of hope to fighting back. It's meant to be a family series, so there isn't much "inappropriate" material to worry about, although of course the subject matter is very disturbing. The majority of the horrors are shown in still pictures and sounds, but there are disturbing characters and bloodshed.

Documentary: Into the Arms of Strangers, Stories of the Kindertransport
For parents who develop an interest, like I did, this is a touching documentary featuring personal stories of many children who were given refuge by England just before war was declared.

Week 24 - Optional activity, War poster
We just read thru the info under the war poster activity, and then I used 2 resources I still had on hand from WWI to talk more about the uses of "propoganda" and the need for getting everyone on board. It was a great conversation with my 8th grade ds.

a. I read from Albert Marrin's WW-I book about war posters & the job of uniting the country using propoganda (pages 141, 143, 147).
b. We looked carefully at the WW-II poster page in the Dover coloring book (the original posters in color are on the inside the back cover). We had some good laughs!
(My WW-I resources are here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 003#p55499 )

Week 25 - Optional activity, Packing your bags
a. I read the activity, up until the Narnia reference.
b. I read aloud the first 4 sentences from our Narnia book, which now made perfect sense.
c. We discussed the activity - what we each might pack quickly for an indefinitely long trip.
d. This German airplane topic went directly with the Japanese war plane activity below. It also went well with the section from Albert Marrin's WW-I book about the first uses of airplanes in war (pages 154-157).

Week 25 - Optional activity, ID war planes
I felt that "memorizing" these planes was too difficult for one lesson, and I wanted a little variety from playing memory games with mom and 1 child. So.... I adapted it a little and it worked out well. He got a sense of what it would be like, and he had a little fun...

a. I cut out the "cards" page. I glued the cards with the words onto a piece of paper. (I glued 3 across & 4 down, with as much space as possible on top of each one, to glue the airplane picture later.) I left the middle one blank & pasted the title in that spot.
b. I took the cards with the pictures on them and "flew" them over my son's head as if he were spotting the planes in the air. I had fun making mosquito-like sound effects for the tiny planes and loud sound effects for the huge planes :)
c. He used the answer key to identify the plane and then put the picture card on top of the correct words onto the page I had made. He didn't glue them right away, in case he had made mistakes.
c. After he was done, I turned over the ones I felt were wrong. After he agreed, we tried to fix the errors and then glued them down.

Week 25 - Patriotic music
The Armed Forces Medley is also on the Adventures CD. It doesn't include the Coast Guard segment, but the version is very clear and singable.

Week 25 - Atom Bomb
Video: God of the Atom, Moody Science series
This video would be good for older kids during this week. The Moody videos are from the 1950s and are dry but I kinda like how they assume kids might actually have an attention span. And, they really show that serious scientists may actually have faith in God!

We were watching this video because ds is studying atoms in 7th grade science, but it had even more to do with the development of the atomic bomb. It made ds much more aware of what that event "looked like" and what was really happening. Lots of film footage of the various tests and explosions (not for little ones to view).

The faith message, which all the Moody videos have, was first about how God created atomic energy. That was the lesson we enjoyed most. He then went on to discuss the fact that, like other things in creation, this force might be used by sinful humans. But thankfully God provided a way out of sin for us. I felt it was a little vague on this point, but I was glad he didn't go into the pros & cons of WW-II & other uses of the bomb, but simply the power & danger of the atomic force.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 am, edited 12 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Teresa in TX

1850-Mod - Idea for Holocaust studies

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:30 pm

We live near Houston and are planning on going to the Holocaust Museum either this week or next week since we will be finishing up our WWII study. I went to their website to check pricing and location. When I was there, I saw that they are trying to collect 1.5 million hand-made butterflies, to represent all of the children that were killed during the Holocaust. They want people to mail them there or bring them in person. The plan is that, I think, by Spring of 2012 they will have them all and have a big exhibit with all of the butterflies put together in a massive visual to show the magnitude of that many children. They have to be a certain size. No glitter.

I do realize this would be something for older children, but my 10yo and 13yo kids thought it would be neat to take some butterflies when we visit. I am kind of wondering if this might be something they are doing at other Holocaust museums.

Here is a link to the Houston Holocaust Museum: http://www.hmh.org/
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

Susan on the Space Coast

Re: 1850-Mod - Idea for Holocaust studies

Unread post by Susan on the Space Coast » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:32 pm

I found this great video where the children in a school in TN collected paperclips to create a memorial with the same idea. The documentary had testimonies of survivors, too! The movie is called Paperclips, and I found it on Netflix. I would definitely check out this video. The school was able to get a cattle car that probably carried the people to the concentration camps. They refurbished the car to house all the paperclips that were collected.

One of the reasons the school started the project was to let the children develop empathy for people that were very different from themselves (I think this community is mainly white Christian.) You can also find reviews on Amazon.

Here's the info from the Netflix site:
Whitwell Middle School in rural Tennessee is the setting for this documentary about an extraordinary experiment in Holocaust education. Struggling to grasp the concept of 6 million Holocaust victims, the students decide to collect 6 million paper clips to better understand the enormity of the calamity. The film details how the students met Holocaust survivors from around the world and how the experience transformed them and their community.

I'll be interested in more info about this butterfly project.
Susan
wife to Tim (22 yrs.), mommy to Emily (17, graduate), Daniel (15), and Megan (13)
Have taught MFWK through 1850-MT; High School

mom2boys

Unread post by mom2boys » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:16 pm

There is also a holocaust museum in St. Louis.

http://www.hmlc.org

I've lived in this area all my life and didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago and it has been there 15 years.

We aren't quite there in our history studies, but had the opportunity to go on a field trip today. At the end of the tour we had a survivor talk to us about her experience in the concentration camps. Very somber experience, but so worth it to teach my kids what can happen when you see injustice and do nothing. I highly recommend this museum, not a lot of years left to be able to talk to an actual survivor as they are all getting to be 80+ now.
~Charlotte
loving my Hubby and 3 sons 16, 13, 7
Used MFW since 2004

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:13 pm

A great audio book for this time frame is, "Bonhoeffer: The Cost of Freedom (Radio Theatre)" from Focus on the Family. I would not have kids younger than 4th grade or so listen as it deals with atrocities committed during the war and ends sadly. Nonetheless, a great story of how a Godly man fought against evil to do what was right.

We watched the beginning of "Narnia" and "Return to Neverland" to show the "Blitz" of London and the end of Sound of Music to show the Anschluss.

There is a song from the "The Seeds" called "Refuge and Strength" whose words are the first verses from Psalm 46 which is a fun way to memorize these verses.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Re: 1850-Mod - Idea for Holocaust studies

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Susan on the Space Coast wrote:The movie is called Paperclips,
There's also a book about this story,
Six Million Paper Clips,
The Making of a Children's Holocaust Memorial

by Peter & Dagmar Schroeder

The book has many photos of the project and the students. It tells the story of how the children decided to collect 6 million paper clips, how hard it was at first, how they accomplished it, how they decided on a memorial to show children what 6 million looks like, and all of the blessings they received to make their vision happen, including many from Germany. The project was done by a middle school, so the book is probably for upper elementary and middle school kids who are just beginning to wrap their brains around the idea of the Holocaust.

You can visit the memorial in Tennessee. It looks very small, but you can arrange to have students guide you. You can also read the story online (without as many photos as the book):
http://www.whitwellmiddleschool.org/?Pa ... bc&n=69258
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

homespun

"Favorite" books on Holocaust?

Unread post by homespun » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Kelly1730 wrote:I hesitate to even use the term "favorite" when talking about the holocaust but for lack of a better term........ This is such a difficult subject but one that needs to be taught to our children for many reasons. There are many books out there, just wondering if any of you who have studied this previously came across a book on this subject that was really helpful. The boys will read Number the Stars as part of their reading time and I did read (and request) some of the books recommended in the archives. Oh, the boys are 12 and in 6th grade, if that helps. Thanks!
We just finished reading Twenty and Ten, I Am David, Snow Treasure and Number the Stars. The kids were very interested in them. I thought they gave us good information on what was happening in the different countries at that time.
MFW user since 2006 beginning in K. Doing ECC synergy group this year for our second time with ECC.
dd grade 8, ds grade 6

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Book Suggestions for WWII

One episode in American history that I don't ever remember learning about is the internment of the Japanese-Americans during WWII. Author Yoshiko Uchida experienced that as a young girl, and she has written a number of children's books about it. Journey to Topaz is an excellent book! It tells the story of her family being sent to a camp named Topaz in a desert in Utah. Well-written, it would make a great read-aloud book or a reader for a child maybe 5th grade and up. Uchida also wrote a picture book called The Bracelet that tells a similar story. Another picture book that would go with this theme is Baseball Saved Us, by Ken Mochizuki. I see that the book Farewell to Manzanar is recommended in the BB list in the 1850MOD TM. I haven't read that one yet, but I'm going to check out that one next. :-) These books would be great additions to your WWII study.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MelissaB

Re: Book suggestions for WWII in 1850MOD

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:06 am

Also, Jacob Deshazer was a World War II pilot fighter who was captured by the Japanese and later returned to Japan as a missionary. His story's at YWAM Publishing in the Hero Biography books. There are many more during that time period, but his is full of adventure throughout, very interesting read. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Marie

Special Bible from World War II

Unread post by Marie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:18 am

This one-minute audio about D-Day and a special World War II Bible is really amazing.
https://soundcloud.com/museumofthebible/the-book-060616

A huge heart-felt thank you to all of you military families. We owe you a debt of gratitude for your courage and service that we can never repay.

Marie

hsmom

Unread post by hsmom » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:40 am

The Corrie Ten Boom House Museum has a fabulous online 360 degree virtual tour of the outside and inside of the house. It is narrated with details of the story (including lots of spoilers and some scenes from the movie). I enjoyed it. My kids just wanted to listen to the book, but I did show them the staircase and will show them the hidden room when we get past that part. I just mute it so that they don't hear the spoilers.

http://www.tenboom.com/en/