1850-MOD - Weeks 19 & 20 (including WWI)

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

1850-MOD - Weeks 19 & 20 (including WWI)

Unread post by Marie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:35 pm

1850-MOD - Weeks 19 & 20 (including WWI).

Additional ideas might be located on other boards:
ECC / Russia (Faberge egg ideas): http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=152

Julie in MN

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 19 & 20 (including WWI)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Week 19, optional Cryptography project
We found this Zimmermann Telegram to be a very interesting story, so I suggest reading about it in the optional SOTW Activity Book even if you don't want to do the actual project.

This website has a picture of the actual telegram with all the cryptogram numbers on it, as well as a copy of the actual translation (click on the pictures to see them a little larger):
http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/zimmermann/

Week 19, optional Spanish Flu project
I saved this one for a light day. The flu actually occurred during the last year of WWI and a little after WWI.

Instead of making a poster, I found a large piece of paper (the same size as 2 sheets of regular paper, or you could really just use 2 sheets of regular paper). I cut out each paragraph with narrow margins. Ds glued the maze in the lower right corner and the title in the upper left corner, as instructed. Then as we read the paragraphs, he glued the paragraphs under the title, close together, with the first six paragraphs closely under each other on the left side of the page, then one paragraph sideways in the middle, and the last two paragraphs at the top of the second page (above the maze). It all fit on the size of 2 sheets of paper, and then I could put it in a page protector in ds's notebook.

(The actual maze activity wasn't even really necessary, or you could cut off the bottom half, since the answer was basically straight across.)

Week 19, extra book/video ideas for weeks 19-20
The Yanks are Coming: The United States in the First World War
by Albert Marrin, Beautiful Feet Books
This is an extra for *teacher* that I've found enjoyable and informative. Actually, I couldn't muddle thru Marrin's books when older dd was going thru history, but now that I have such a solid framework of history through MFW, I am enjoying this kind of book like never before. And the WWI book is my favorite Marrin book. It has a nice mix of stories & information. So many methods of warfare changed at this time, and he spends a section on each branch of the military, picturing how the men were equipped, new inventions, and particular difficulties during WWI.

Reading it all would be more than my 8th grader wants to know at this point (maybe in high school), but I read him a few of the stories, such as the first chapter on the Lusitania, and a portion of the sections describing each branch of the service at that time in history. These made the events come to life a little more & answered his questions about WWI.

Color Your Own Patriotic Posters
by Dover
Dover has an inexpensive coloring book that my non-coloring son actually enjoyed experimenting with (coloring a red coat on Uncle Sam instead of blue, etc.). And even if you don't color, the inside covers of the book have colored pictures of different war posters from WWI and WWII. My son was interested in this type of "advertising" that went on.

TV show: Influenza 1918,
from the PBS series "American Experience"
Many actual survivors of this epidemic were interviewed for this show. It might be scary for little ones, but our 8th grader felt the show was captivating. Watch online: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... influenza/

The website used to have a moving map of how it spread across the country in just a few weeks, but I think you can still find such maps via Google Images and such.

Russian Revolution
The Anastasia book mentioned on the week 16 book basket list also has pictures that apply to week 19, such as a photo of a Faberge egg, and (for older kids)a small photo of the shot-up basement wall where the czar's family was killed (demonstrating the violence of this event).

Week 20, condensing SOTW Maps
Instead of making a 2nd almost identical map for the end of WWI, my son just took the one he made originally for WWI and added under "Russia" the words "until 1917." I suppose making another map would have had educational value as far as remembering things, but my ds balked & I accepted his solution.

Week 20, Flanders Fields
If you like that this poem is included this week, like I do, you might find some pretty printables of the poem by using a Google "Images" search. You can also find good pictures to show your children what a poppy and a Veterans Day poppy pin look like on Google Images (or Remembrance Day in Canada).
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dhudson

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 19 & 20 (including WWI)

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:57 pm

For science week 20 - If you have "Snap Circuits" get them out and work with your child as you read "The World of Science" pages. We did several experiments and talked about measurements, open and closed circuits, resistors, ohms, volts and others while playing. It was a great learning time.

For history week 19 and 20 - We built trenches and a "No Man's Land" with clay, Legos and Keva planks. We had a great time and were able to talk about "going over the top", life in the trenches and modern warfare. We even had the Central Powers winning until the "Yanks" came into the war led by a Spiderman mini-fig. If we had a foot or more of snow, I would have had us build trenches in the yard and have a snowball fight. Oh well, maybe by WWII.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002