1850-MOD - Weeks 11 & 12

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

1850-MOD - Weeks 11 & 12

Unread post by Marie »

1850-MOD - Weeks 11 & 12.
cbollin

1850-MOD, week 11

Unread post by cbollin »

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:35 am

I just saw this news story on one of the online news sources. I thought it was timely and fit in so well with the prayer guide for week 11.

faith based prisons

Thought it might be nice to read parts of it and include along with the Thursday lessons. I don't know how long that story will stay on that website.

-crystal
Julie in MN

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 11 & 12

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Week 11 - Sousa's Stars & Stripes Forever
We were able to listen to the "words" sung to this song on a Wee Sing America CD (Hurrah for the Flag of the Free!). Our other CDs all just had the music, & we wanted to sing :) (And no, we didn't sing Be Kind to Your Fine Feathered Friends....!)

Week 12 - Pres. Garfield
My 7th grader reads a bit more about each president & he came up with the idea that Garfield must have been shot by a "friend," since the president was fighting off friends & such who were expecting to be hired, and the shooter was angry that he wasn't hired. Anyways... I thought there was good info about this on Wikipedia under the shooter's "background" -
  • [The shooter had written] a speech in support of Ulysses S. Grant called "Grant vs. Hancock", which he revised to "Garfield vs. Hancock" after Garfield won the Republican nomination in the 1880 presidential campaign. Ultimately, he changed little more than the title (hence mixing up Garfield's achievements with those of Grant). The speech was delivered at most two times (and copies were passed out to members of the Republican National Committee at their summer 1880 meeting in New York), but Guiteau believed himself to be largely responsible for Garfield's victory. He insisted he should be awarded an ambassadorship... [and, therefore, shot the president in anger]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_J._Guiteau
Week 12 - Opera
It was fun to contrast the two Verdi operas -- Aida, which was commissioned by Egypt but not finished in time to actually be performed at the Suez Canal opening, and Rigoletto, which was actually played during the canal opening. They are EXTREMELY different operas! We listened to these:

La Donna e Mobile from Rigoletto,
The World's Very Best Opera For Kids... in English (this is at our library)
A funny song about a woman changing her mind, and brochure includes a description of the opera, including what's suitable for kids.

Triumphal March from Aida
My Favorite Moments, Pavarotti's Opera Made Easy (I didn't find this at my library but it's an inexpensive series at 7.99 or less)
A very majestic piece, and the booklet includes a paragraph setting the scene
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs