1850-MOD - Weeks 5 & 6 (including the Capitals)

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

1850-MOD - Weeks 5 & 6 (including the Capitals)

Unread post by Marie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:39 pm

1850-MOD - Weeks 5 & 6 (including the Capitals).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:37 pm

My kids enjoyed the science this week. Foaming monster was a favorite that they wanted to do again and again.

small hint from my oldest: swirl the bottle to watch the action

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 5 & 6 (including the Capitals)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 am

Week 5 - Minnesota
I made a list of a couple of Minnesota books & a video we used here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 831#p51505

Week 6 - Frederick Douglass
You can read some of the famous speeches actually given by Frederick Douglass. Here is probably the most often quoted one, about the 4th of July:
http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/douglass.htm

Our library also has speeches like this on tape, and Scholastic sometimes offers a tape, such as Great American Speeches. Of course, these are not the original speakers (too long ago), but sometimes they have more punch than reading it yourself.

Week 6 - Continuing the story of Harriet Tubman
When our read-aloud ended, ds begged to know "what happened." He wanted to learn how the underground railroad worked and what happened to Harriet/Minty. I looked around at convention & found it difficult, since many of the books about Harriet condense characters & events in different ways. The MFW read-aloud gives a very accurate history.

I settled on Freedom Train, by Sterling. I started reading in the middle of chapter 5 with, "Slowly, Harriet regained her strength..." Whenever it referred to "Miss Sarah," I just changed it to "The Mistriss," since I think this book combines two characters into one here. I also skimmed past a few other details, such as when her 2 sisters were sold away. It wasn't hard to do. All the books I looked at about Harriet condensed her childhood in different ways.

We found the rest of her life exciting as well, and could better visualize how such a "railroad" was run. The Freedom Train book did not continue to explore Harriet's faith in any detail; however, I did feel it was a good general lesson regarding times when people truly face their own death in order to prevent someone else's. I'm sure the theme will continue in our future studies of Corrie Ten Boom, Brother Andrew, and more.

NOTE: The underground railroad is covered from chapter 5 through chapter 14. The rest of the book is about her interaction with many of the key players in the ending of US slavery, from John Brown to Lincoln, but not by physically rescuing individuals via the underground railroad. We didn't read all of the book.

Again, the main point is that the MFW read-aloud, Courage to Run, was outstanding, as always, and left us wanting to know more.

Review opportunities
When we were reading more about Harriet's escape, the Quakers were very prominent in the story. It was a chance to review for my son what we learned in EX1850:
* The Quaker part in the Pennsylvania settlement, and their moral dilemma between governing a state during the time of the American Revolution and their belief in nonviolence
* I reminded ds that Amos Fortune had been owned by a Quaker, so all members of one religion do not behave in exactly the same way
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: 1850MOD cooking question again

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 am

Julie in MN wrote:Does anyone have experience cooking with shrimp? These kids want to make jambalaya today & are concerned because the frozen shrimp is just thrown in for the last 5 minutes of cooking (per the US History Cookbook). Is that enough?

I am clueless, and they are attempting much more extravagant dishes than I ever would :~
Julie
Hi Julie and Reid and friends,

My cookbook says THAWED. That's a key thing.
so, as long as the shrimp are thawed, then 5 minutes is usually enough. They cook very quickly. Go too long and it gets really tough to eat and shrinks a lot.

However, I think there is a step left out of the cookbook. You should be adding cooked shrimp and cooked rice and cooked ham for those last five minutes. So either the ingredient list assumes cooked shrimp from a bag, or you need to boil it real fast before that step.

So, if Reid and his friend need help on cooking the shrimp prior to that step.... some frozen bags of shrimp are precooked in which case, you're fine. Otherwise if it is raw, then the shrimp needs to be thawed and quickly cooked. I'd probably go with a pan with water on the stove for a few minutes, stirring constantly until it goes pink.

So, do they have cooked frozen shrimp or Raw?
-crystal

KellyinPA

Unread post by KellyinPA » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Let us know how it turned out :) I love that your son (and his friend) are really getting into the cooking aspect of it. Good for them and good for you mom to encourage it :)
Blessings,
Kelly
MFW K, 1st, ADV
ECC 2009/2010

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:30 pm

cbollin wrote:So either the ingredient list assumes cooked shrimp from a bag, or you need to boil it real fast before that step.
Whew, it said pre-cooked on the package! I am so clueless.

They made it this afternoon. They thought it was too tomato-ey but they liked the shrimp part :) They want to cook more often than the every-two-weeks we've planned!

For those who haven't used 1850MOD, there is a US History Cookbook in the deluxe package. Every 2 weeks, you read about the cooking in a certain era of US history, so this week it was the Louisiana Territory and thus the Jambalaya. Some of the projects are very easy, such as rootbeer floats one time, but then these kids wanted to make something else AND rootbeer floats :~

dhudson

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 5 & 6 (including the Capitals)

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick suggestions on the cooking. Having had several of the recipes in the US Cookbook, I have found it a good idea to run over to allrecipes.com and check there for similar recipes. Some have been close and with a few extra tweaks have been really good and some I followed allrecipes.com because they made more sense. I like the history in the cookbook so we read it and then go searching for the best recipes on a particular lesson. ;) Just a thought!
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

1850-MOD - Weeks 5 & 6 - experiment help

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:57 pm

cjgrubbs wrote:Week 5 Day 4 Science - the experiment didn't work. We used white construction paper and 2 different kind of markers and we didn't get any separation of ink colors. I didn't look for blotting paper bc the teacher manual said you could use white construction paper, plus I'm not sure you can even find blotting paper any more. Any suggestions?
You know, I think my kids have done this one with coffee filters? I don't even drink coffee, but as I recall they weren't too expensive.

Hopefully someone can confirm or give another idea, as my youngest is now 17 LOL.

Julie

TriciaMR

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 5 & 6 - experiment helpt

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Is this the one where you color with marker and then get it wet to see the colors separate?

It worked for us on either printer paper or construction paper. It is somewhere on my blog - see my signature below, and click on 1850MOD on my blog. I will say for a couple of the colors I could barely see the different colors.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Jami

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 5 & 6 - experiment help

Unread post by Jami » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:00 pm

I used strips of paper towel (white Bounty) and Rose Art washable markers and it worked. I saw that they said to use construction paper but the paper towel was easier to get. :-)
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

MelissaB

Frederick Douglass

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:29 am

There's a short 3 min. video on the life of Frederick Douglass at biography.com's site.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie - Staff

Harriet Tubman (1850-MOD - Week 6)

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue May 29, 2018 10:56 am

I am always so inspired by Harriett Tubman. Could I/would I do what she did?

Here's a one-minute video about her, plus they have the transcript of the audio underneath. It's posted by Museum of the Bible. Harriett is going to be on our upcoming $20 bills! https://www.museumofthebible.org/book/minutes/23

Julie