Using 1850-MOD in a Homeschool Co-op or Classroom

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Using 1850-MOD in a Homeschool Co-op or Classroom

Unread post by Marie »

Using 1850-MOD in a Homeschool Co-op or Classroom.
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

Debby3 wrote:I'm planning on being part of a team to teach science to a group of students in 1850-MT.

I'm wondering if the students would have to buy both books, 100 Experiments and World of Science, as well as the Deluxe magnet kit and electricity kit. It could get expensive.

I've done all of the other sciences with about 20 students where they read the text at home, like the Astronomy and Botany books, and then we do notebook pages and discuss in class.

This year I'm thinking the experiments may be the most important part to do during class time. I'm just wondering if I should plan on having them read stuff ahead of time at home by buying those two books, or to just use the class time to teach the concept through experiments. Also, I wondered if it would work to have each kit for the class or should the kids each have one? Do you remember having trouble with the experiments working? Sometimes the experiments in some curricula don't work out the way they were planned, so I wondered if more worked than not or vice versa.

Any input would be great! The other science courses seemed to flow much better to put together. This one is much more challenging.
Thanks so much for any feedback.
Debby
Magnet kit -- with 20 kids, more than one kit will be nice. They can take turns or shifts.

Wired! that kit is designed for one or two kids at a time. it would be harder to share it with 20 kids. fun kit though. We liked making the quiz board and questions for it. However, there were alternative ideas in the 1850MOD manual if you didn't buy the deluxe package. Maybe one of those would help for that week?

Most of the experiments worked very well. I remember the week 3 experiment that involved denatured alcohol and DNA strands --- skip that one for the group. It sorta kinda worked and we tried several times. Maybe I just did it wrong. You could try it and let it sit around???
Instead, use one of the experiments from the Usborne Links that week or just the other experiment listed in the 100 Science. That one could be fun and easy to do as a group project. Be sensitive to adoption issues on that, maybe??? maybe I'm overthinking it.

I know there were a few other little things that I tweaked. Be sure to check the 1850MOD Ideas Forum. I left some notes there. There was an experiment with making a pinhole projector that I tweaked. here it is
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=4996

and sometimes Marie left notes in the TM on a tweak or two here and there.

remember too to check the internet links on the 100 Science Experiments book

The science is arranged in several smaller unit studies on various topics covering chemistry and physics. Nice unit on E & M. We added in Magic School Bus book for the 3rd grader to understand it. :)

I don't really have a clue for the book readings in a group setting. I've never taught a co-op class so I'm clueless except that I've done year 5

Since I've never taught in a co-op setting, I've never asked MFW if they have price breaks for purchasing multiple copies of one book for classroom purchase. Might be worth calling their office or emailing them and asking.
-crystal
Julie in MN

Cooking Projects

Unread post by Julie in MN »

This isn't really a co-op, but this year I've invited another homeschooler to do the cooking projects with my son. Instead of spending a day at co-op during 7th grade, we've more done smaller things on different afternoons to mix it up a bit so he's not alone all the time. Doing the cooking with another kid has really been fun for both of them.

The first week, I go over the chapter in the US History Cookbook with them. Then they read the recipes and choose what they want to make. They choose MUCH more ambitious recipes than I would have chosen! Finally, I make a list of ingredients for the other family to contribute. They are willing to purchase the "hardest stuff" that I don't have around the house.

The second week, they do the cooking. I leave the kitchen totally to them unless they ask for my help (they are 7th graders). They start preheating the oven right away, to save time. If possible, I send home half of the finished product. A few things have taken too long to cook and there had to be a later drop-off or pick-up of the finished product. Sometimes I take a photo of them cooking or showing off their delicious creation.

These 2 kids also do science lab & quizzes together, while their creations are cooking. (Another option we considered was doing a Progeny Press guide together, but we did the science instead.) So between the cooking & science, the planning week takes almost an hour and the cooking week takes at least 1.5 hours.

P.S. I am getting the idea that some of the ingredients/instructions are making an effort to be authentic. Therefore, butter isn't melted in a microwave, etc. I pointed this out to the kids so they understood the "lesson" and then let them decide how they would do these things.
hometolearn

Re: Charlotte, NC Co-op 2011-2012

Unread post by hometolearn »

nHim Co-op

We are looking for a few family-oriented, conservative Christian families to join nHim
Co-op, a small group of homeschool Moms teaching in 2011-2012.

This is what we hope to cover:

History 1850-Modern Times--Hands-on activities done together and also an opportunity for your older student to present if you would like that.
Also, what is the worldview of the individuals you are studying in history right now?
Due to the state of our country, this year our goal is to help students of all ages to evaluate American History from 1850 to the present according to the Christian worldview and the original intent of the founding of our country. We would like to cover hymns, composers, and artists if we have a teacher and time allows.

Science--This is an opportunity to complete laboratory experiments for older students (Apologia) in a group. Younger science may be offered as well. Science is not mandatory for you to participate in any other parts of the co-op but offered if you would like your students to do labs with others .

Worldview --Distinguishing the Christian worldview from other worldviews in the culture surrounding our students so they will “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” I Peter 3:15
All students, younger (elementary) students, and older students (approximately jr. high/sr. high) need to begin to recognize these differences at their age levels. Bible study included with emphasis on Christian Character Traits.
Other--Do you have an area on your heart? Let us know, perhaps you can teach it.

We believe the best use of a co-op is to accomplish tasks that are difficult at home or more beneficial in a group.
For us these include:
Hands on Activities and Active Group Games (even the teens enjoy these)
Opportunity for Sharing and Discussion of important ideas
Presentation Opportunities for students at their age level as you approve
Mutual Encouragement of each other as home schooling Christian families
Celebrating the holidays (esp. Hebrew Biblical ones) as a group when possible

We have all ages participating from toddlers to teens. We are looking for a few committed, Christian family-oriented homeschoolers to join us in fellowship and fun. This is not a drop-off co-op, but Moms must stay and participate/supervise and perhaps teach some area. An exception might be made in special circumstances with permission for a mature Christian teen who is responsible and a model of good character.

We meet in the Charlotte area, specifically on Pleasant Plains Rd. in Matthews, NC (near the Homeschool Room). If you are interested, please give us your name, ages of your children, and any questions you have. Contact: Christina at nzfamily@juno.com