General ideas for 1850 to Modern Times

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

General ideas for 1850 to Modern Times

Unread post by Marie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:42 pm

General ideas for 1850 to Modern Times.

NOTE: You may also find related ideas posted on the Ideas boards for Exploration to 1850 and even Adventures in My Father's World:

Presidents: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4837

States: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4838

Adventures: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=24
(History and state studies would begin to correlate with the year 1850 around week 27.)

Hymns: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4878

cbollin

Presidents

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 am

President's flash cards follow up idea with Notebooking:

If your students are interested in more about the Presidents, take a look at some of the history information on the President's section of the official website for the White House.

Here is the younger version for Kids
http://www.whitehouse.gov/kids/presidents/

and the version with a little bit more information for more advanced students
http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/

-crystal

cbollin

Hymns

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:52 pm

This year for the hymns study, we were able to find some nice videos of people singing the hymns via youtube. Many times we ended up on vids of various people groups singing the hymns. Made it a special touch given the overall theme with MFW and missions, and especially in light of the final part of the Bible study in year 5. part of the Revelation study includes seeing that every tribe and every nation will be there. So it was great to hear the Himig Singers, or the FBJC worship team, or a Chinese edition of some of the hymns.

Fun way for my family to do the hymns because we don't have a lot of musical instrument ability yet. But you know how it is on youtube -- have to cover up the related links or featured shots once in a while.

-crystal

Julie in MN

7th & 8th grader ideas

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:29 pm

(1) Book Basket Idea (Science)
If your 7th and 8th graders are doing their own science this year, they may enjoy having some science books in book basket that relate to their science studies.

In particular, we found that the World of Science book from the 1850MOD package goes well with the general overview of science typical in 7th & 8th grades -- even learning about the periodic table & such.

Another good "general science" and "physical science" book basket item is The Way Things Work.

And a bonus is that both of these heavy books just look like older kid books :o)

(2) Manual Prep
If you only have a 7-8th grader(s), then you might want to prep in the summer by going through the "materials" section of each week (so 34 pages, not too hard) and cross off any materials that have to do with science, since you won't have a student doing 1850MOD science. I found myself getting confused about which materials I wanted to get, with the science we weren't doing and the optional activities we may or may not do, so just crossing off all the science materials made it more friendly, to me :)
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MJ in IL

Writing to the president

Unread post by MJ in IL » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm

baileymom wrote:My kids would really love this[writing to the president], we will probably never do ADV, what do you do?
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:38 am
Don't worry if you're not doing Adventures...it is assigned during Year 5 also. Ds received a reply with the pictures.

Julie in MN

Great ideas for 1850 to modern times?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:19 am

sandi wrote:I know you guys are a year ahead of me in the history cycle, so I was wondering if you could give me any great ideas for 1850 to modern times?
Thanks ahead of time!
Sandi
Hi Sandi!
We're half a year behind where we used to be in MFW, due to family illness etc., so I guess I'm in the same position as you!

My son is very much looking forward to learning about recent history. It's also a really great time to stop in the middle of the state studies & focus on learning all the states & capitals, so I like that piece already.

One idea: I've invited another homeschooler to join us in the cooking segment (deluxe, so optional), since it's just me & ds most of the time, now, and he likes cooking more than I do :o)

Julie

cbollin

Re: Great ideas for 1850 to modern times?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:23 pm

I did 1850MOD year 5 last year. I have a few posts in the year 5 Ideas board. (I would have had more but that part of the board wasn't there when I started teaching that year.) Anyway. At the end of the year I left some overview stuff on the General board in Share Your Experiences.

I know we enjoyed adding the board game, Scrambled States of America. There is an easy game already in Year 5 for states and capitals. So we didn't need the extra game, it was just for fun.

other idea -- don't let yourself get driven too batty with the songs on that states and capitals songs CD.

But I'll say I'll look forward to Julie's ideas being added as she gets started on year 5 :-)

-crystal

Teresa in TX

I have a recommendation for adults to go with 1850-Mod

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:58 pm

This weekend I was at the Christian bookstore and I picked up a Bible study for myself that is just so perfect to go with this period of history.

Charles Colson had written the book "How Now Shall We Live?" a few years ago. There is a Bible Study for adults based on the book. It is really good and discusses some of the worldviews that led to communism and fascism along with evolution and naturalism. It is really, really interesting and it just seems to mesh so well with what we are learning in history...this year of history has just blown me away. I'm always telling dh what we're learning before the kids even get a chance. I have gotten really interested in the spiritual aspects of this period of history, and it's like God just laid this study in my lap. They also have a study for youth and I'm considering doing it with the kids this summer...there are videos too. I know many have seen this before, but it was the first time I've gotten my hands on it. It doesn't go extremely deep into each topic but opens the door to different topics for further study.
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

Julie in MN

Hymns we liked for 1850MOD

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:11 pm

I am really liking how the hymns tie in to 1850-MOD. In the first few weeks, we have found connections to Bible study, to the read-aloud, and more.

To find a hymn on places like YouTube, just (1) go to their site, (2) find their "search" box, & (3) type in the name of the hymn as well as the name of the singer, if known. (4) Click on the picture.

If you find a hymn on places like CyberHymnal and want to "listen" to it, just click on "MIDI."

I typed up an e-mail to myself during the summer, and so each week of the school year I could just click on the links or get out our CD. Often on the first day, I'd include many versions and have ds choose his favorite to sing to the rest of the week. Below are our "favorites."

Week 1 - This seems to be almost exclusively performed by country singers, both in our home music collection & in my search of utube and cyberhymnal -- at least if you want a singer & not just an instrumental. We decided on Alan Jackson, who has a nice video with the lyrics displayed on utube.

Week 3 - Our favorite was a version with lyrics displayed & children (Cedarmont Kids) singing on utube -- it was by CRCworship. By the way, cyberhymnal tells the story of this hymn author a bit differently than Then Sings My Soul (more dramatic/gory!), so if you read that as you search around, be prepared to discuss historical discrepancies ;)

Week 5 - There was one on utube that was easy to sing with. It was by Deborah Liv Johnson ("beanscot"). (I listened to tons of versions of this hymn that were too fancy or too soprano for us to sing along.) This one is also available on Amazon.

We also:
- discussed "balm," both literally and figuratively
- looked up "Gilead" on dictionary.com
- looked up "Gilead" references in the Bible on BibleGateway.com
- read about the connection of balm to Gilead in the BibleGateway dictionary
( http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/d ... d=T0001488 )

Week 7 - This week's hymn is on the 1850MOD patriotic CD (and scheduled in week 8 ). Also, the Adventures patriotic CD has patriotic songs in 1850MOD, including this week's; these tend to be easy to sing along with.

Week 9
- We mostly listened to a Joni Eareckson Tada version we had.
- But on utube there is a nice acapella version by The Martins; there are several recordings of them singing this song on utube, some more formal and some pretty casual.
- Another version by the Cadet Sisters is a bit hard to sing alongside, but nice to see young gals loving this song.
- One by AmazingWorship is quite traditional & has the lyrics displayed.

Week 11 - The biography of this hymn is very sad, so keep that in mind when choosing a version. We listened to a lot of versions, both on CDs we had at home & online. I very much preferred a man's voice for this one, both because it goes well with the background story and because it's a nice one for my ds to hear a man's voice once in a while.

- our favorite is on a CD called Echoes of Mercy from Bel Air Presbyterian Church Band - a guy sings 4 verses; they said I have permission to share copies of mine :)
- utube by "Hillsong"/"Vinyard Music" / "worship video" - a guy singer, with the words on screen, nice to sing with (2 verses)
- utube by "BigSmallVillage," look for old photographs; the visual pictures of the events leading to this song help bring the story into the song, such as the Chicago fire, old style sepia family pictures, and some peaceful images too.
- CD Classic Hymns by Twin Sisters Prod. is kids & more upbeat, for kids who respond to that

Week 13
- Pretty much all the versions I found were just different visuals but the same singers - "Selah." We like Selah's version on the CD "Hiding Place" because it has the male voice sing the whole first verse - we find him easier to sing along with. On utube I found the male lead version by searching for "AllForYeshua," and it also had nice visuals connecting the song to creation.
- There was one version on utube not sung by Selah. It was a group of guys standing there singing, with traditional harmony. If you search for "SonCasFilms Deep Deep Love," you should find it.

Week 15 - Trust & Obey is the title of more than one song. PLUS, the hymn can also be called When We Walk With The Lord.
- We liked a simple one on utube with guitars, by "eddierondack," also labeled "Acoustic version of the old hymn with Steve Bauer."
- There is also a nice version on the CD from Hymns For A Kid's Heart Volume II (all 4 verses plus), but I don't know if those songs can be found individually online?
- One other pretty version on utube is sung in a church by Justine Hyu

Week 17 - There are tons of beautiful versions of this on Utube, but the majority are very slow and heartfelt, more like a prayer than a song.
- For singableness (and still pretty), we liked the one from WorshipVideo (by Vineyard?), including lyrics. Since the name of this song varies slightly, look for "All to Jesus I Surrender WorshipVideo"
- We also enjoyed singing with one by Mercy Me, look for "Mercy Me - I Surrender All"
- And we tried singing it with the Spanish lyrics on this one (the Spanish version is after the English): "Michael W. Smith ft Coalo Zamorano - I Surrender All w/Lyrics (English and Spanish)"

Week 19 - There's another song from the Annie musical, so you have to sort through any finds.
- We had fun listening to a barbershop quartet version of this one on utube, by "Hovie Lister and The Statesmen"
- Another one has a very unusual interpretation in the pictures (peeled banana is a blessing, I guess), but has lyrics & a very clear tune to follow, "by George Beverly Shea with lyrics"

Week 21 – We didn't have a favorite on this, but there were really a lot of versions on utube. Amazon had over 100 samples to listen to. There were tons of international versions, too.
The utube one by Jim Reeves with Lyrics is singable; the credits show up in the middle of the song, so keep listening after them.

Week 23 – We had this on a lot of CDs around the house. Ds's favorite was by Johnny Cash (Apostle soundtrack), and mine was by Anne Murray (What A Wonderful World) - yes, that dates me. In a few cases, the song is called "He Walks With Me."

Week 25 – This hymn is also called "Till We Meet Again." We liked the one on utube by Patti Page.

Week 27 – Wk 29 - We sang along with a CD called "Favorite Hymns," by Gary Lee Koreiba.
(This CD also has week 17's hymn, but ds preferred a little faster beat on the utube versions for that one.)

Week 31 – We had this on a CD sung by Phil Christiansen, "Our God Reigns" from Bob Kilpatrick & Friends. We sang along with this one.
- If you google the song, you will find a version by Carman at many sites.
- And youtube has an okay version that shows the words, if you search for "Gold city-Acappella"

Week 33
- Our favorite was on a CD called "Accoustic Hymns Vol. I" from Brentwood Music
- We also listened to children sing this song on "Classic Hymns," Twin Sisters Prod.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sat May 29, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Julie in MN

Videos: Dr. Quinn & more

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 02, 2009 8:24 pm

For the first half of 1850MOD, someone has borrowed us videos of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. During lunchtime we sometimes watch a part of a video, and they often bring to life just what we are reading about. They are set in Colorado.

My son is 13, so not sure about little ones. They are not for the super-protective family, since there are sometimes issues that are sinful (gambling, native religion, etc.). I do think Dr. Quinn portrays a Christian? Nothing as bad as today's TV, of course. My son really liked these, & I felt they made the time period mean more to him.

Episode numbering seems to vary, but these are the ones used by Wikipedia. If you google "Wikipedia Quinn Episodes" you will get a description of each episode.

Episode 50 - The Train - relates to railroads in week 10, adding a little more depth to the issue of whether everyone was in favor of railroad expansion, and has a Chinese railroad worker in it, etc.

Episodes 40-41 - Abduction - generally shows Native Americans in more than one way (the peaceful & the angry), has an African American worker similar to how Amos Fortune must have fit into a town, & some mention of Custer. Note that Sully is an Indian Agent, and seems trusted by Native Americans in a way that the Fort Snelling Indian Agent is described at Minnesota historical sites.

Episode 30 - Crossing the Line - covers mining dangers & strikes going on, which was mentioned when studying President Cleveland's second term in week 14.

Episode 35 - Buffalo Soldiers - a clash between "Buffalo Soldiers" (what Native Americans called black men in the military) and "Dog Soldiers" (Native Americans fighting against the military).

Interestingly, you can read some of the "scripts" here -- http://www.drquinnmd.com/library/scripts.html

Also note that later years/seasons seemed to reach further for topics and brought in some subjects you may want to prescreen depending on ages, such as capital punishment (93) and forced conversion of Native Americans (94).

P.S. Another series that appears on regular TV these days, on one of those oldie-but-goodie branches of the networks, is The Rifleman. It's set in the 1880s in New Mexico Territory, and featured a widowed father raising his little boy. Of course, there is a "rifle" and it is used, so preview for your family, but there are some talking points posted on the internet, such as this one:
http://www.riflemanconnors.com/Parables ... nstory.htm
It's amazing to think that Bible verses were quoted on TV at one time :) The program dates back to the 1950s and 1960s, so of course it's black-n-white.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu May 21, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Julie in MN

Idea: Extras

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 07, 2009 11:15 am

The Nystrom Atlas of Our Country's History
This is an extra for 1850MOD and even review of EX1850, for map lovers like me. It shows things like the travel routs by rivers, then by canals, and then by railroad; the different pioneer trails going west & who usually used which one; changes in Indian lands & buffalo ranges; all the way to the countries involved in the world wars & the cold war.

Since I got mine at a used bookstore, I checked to see if you can currently buy this. I did not find it in our library or on Amazon, but it is for sale from Nystrom. While I was looking for that, I found this little sheet to encourage kids to explore the book; I haven't used it & not sure I will but in case: http://www.ourhistoryatlas.com/tg/TG_Test_wans.pdf

A lot of this info will already be in the Usborne books & SOTW, but I just like maps :)

Hugh Sidey's Portraits of the President's Power & Personality in the Oval Office, Time Special Collector's Edition
For the presidents from FDR through Bush #2, this book has tons of up-close photos by apparently a famous photographer. The text is for older kids, but the photos bring a lot of things to life. BTW, the first chapter I checked out was on George W. Bush and I was pleased to find that it was very respectful and even touching at times.

We Interrupt This Broadcast: Relive the Events That Stopped Our Lives...from the Hindenburg to the Death of Princess Diana, hardcover book with CDs (we have the older 1998 version with only 2 CDs, available at places like Amazon for about $5; the newer one from 2008 apparently includes 9/11 and has a list price of about $50)
This was a fun extra. It covers various events in American history which caused everyone to stop what they were doing and listen to the radio or television. Some seemed junky so we skipped them (Marilyn Monroe's death, etc). But many correlated nicely with SOTW. Listening to them added a little narration and some actual voices, plus lots of photos in the book, to round out or discussions. e.g. Pearl Harbor, MacArthur asked to resign, Sputnik & Apollo 11. It's mostly "bad news" but some is good ("one giant step for mankind!"). It helped my 8th grader feel the events closer to home.

Other resources for listening to our country's well-known speeches:
Great American Speeches, by Scholastic (ours came with a cassette)
A Patriot's Handbook, by Caroline Kennedy (our library had this on CD, and we prefer listening to speeches on CD; however, it's useful to check out the book, too, so you have a table of contents and can select the speeches you wish to listen to, as some of them will be more or less important to different families, as the author explains as well)

An old map, to include USSR
For once, I decided those old maps with USSR on them had a use. My son just really couldn't absorb the idea of the USSR until he saw it in print, in our living room!

Quiz for reviewing capitals
http://www.50states.com/tools/
For those who like to add quizzes, there are some worksheets here for the state capitals.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Julie in MN

Timeline Book

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 21, 2009 11:53 pm

We are enjoying the timeline book this year, as a change of pace. Some things that worked well at our house --

- Rubber cement: Rubber cement doesn't wrinkle the paper. Ds did one page with white glue, & every time we pass that page he says, "Oh, that's the one with the messy glue." If you make a mistake with rubber cement, just let it dry and roll it off the page.

- Review: It's been a great opportunity for us to review past years. We actually have the old style timeline book, before MFW made their own, & so we are gluing past timeline figures into the book in groups, when we have a day with extra time. Ds is older than when he first made his MFW timelines, and has a lot more knowledge under his belt, so this encouraged him as far as how much he knows, as well. [If you have the new timeline book with these pieces already inside, you could talk about them or possibly glue yours on top of the pre-printed pictures.]

- Added presidents to timeline: I decided we'd add the US presidents to our timeline notebook. I happened to have a set of president timeline pieces I used with my dd from The Ultimate Geography & Timeline Guide. They are only 2 inch squares, so they fit even on already-full pages; we just made a column along one edge of the page. You could make your own from a website with presidents, such as these, or just google "silhouette president X" or "portrait."
http://donnayoung.org/history/gallery/presidents.htm
http://www.history.com/presidents
http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/pdfs/A ... _cards.pdf (might have to shrink these)

- Could add states to timeline: An extra set of State Flag Stickers could also be used to put each state onto the timeline (during the year it joined the union), without using up much space. We did this at the end of our state study, as a review.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

cbollin

Re: Hymns we liked for 1850MOD

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:32 am

Julie in MN wrote:I am really liking how the hymns tie in to 1850-MOD.

If you find a hymn on places like CyberHymnal and want to "listen" to it, just click on "MIDI."
total heads up here....

that site has recently changed. please use caution on it as it contains "free ads" and not all ads are family friendly. (speaking code there) 8O &)
a similar site might be called hymntime . com
thought others might want to know

in any case, preview any site before gathering the kids :)

-crystal

Julie in MN

Story of the World ideas

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:03 am

Splurge - Rebinding
After working with the HUGE SOTW Activity Guide last semester, I listened in on conversations of homeschoolers rebinding their books in different ways for their convenience. I decided to give it a try and am THRILLED with the result!

I had the binding cut off at Kinko's ($1.50) and they boxed up the student sheets (as a master set, in case we need a duplicate). Then I chose a spiral binding ($4.50) for the "teacher" section of the book. I now have a slim volume at about 1/4 of the size I was hauling around beforehand. Because we use this book constantly, I feel my little splurge will pay off during 2nd semester of EX1850.

Just an idea.

Activity Box
With so many optional activities in SOTW-4, I finally got myself a tote box to have supplies on hand for the activities we might want to try. I spent a little time during the summer reading thru the activities, and I penciled in "yes," "no," or "maybe." Then I tried to grab some of the listed supplies (or substitutes) when I was around the house. e.g. I found red & white yarn at a garage sale or something and kept it in the tote, because I noticed that would come up a couple of times.

sewardmom

1850-MOD - Errata, SOTW activity book

Unread post by sewardmom » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:00 pm

As we have been working through the Story of the World Activity Book this year I have noticed a few typos and thought someone might find this info. helpful and make for a smoother day. :-)

SOTW Activity Book for the Modern Age:

Chapter 18, Outline for the Balkan Mess (p.77 in my book) Under roman numeral II, Albania was Independent not Ottoman Turks
Chapter 18, Geography Project for the Geography of the Balkans, number 1 is Bosna not Bosnia.
Chapter 20, WWI review questions, What side did Germany join? Germany joined Austria and Bulgaria not Russia.

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

Julie in MN

Coloring Pages

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:55 am

cjgrubbs wrote:Anyone have a suggestion for coloring pages that might coordinate with 1850 to Modern? My 2nd and 5th graders both enjoying coloring.
Just a couple of random ideas, since my son did NOT like to color LOL!

- We used a Dover war posters book with Uncle Sam, which I described here (about in the middle of my long post):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 499#p55499

- I thought there were some coloring pages in the SOTW Activity Book? Not as many in year 4 as SOTW had in year 1, but some?

- If you go to Dover Publications and sign up for their emails, they send sample pages from different books via email, and some of them might apply? You might even find one you want to order, since they are so inexpensive.

- If you Google "coloring pages" and some historical event, you will usually get a lot of possibilities. I just did a quick one on an early topic I remember, "coloring pages crimean war" and these are a couple that came up:
(If you have boys, you might search for military uniforms and such...)

HTH,
Julie

donutmom

Re: Coloring Pages

Unread post by donutmom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:01 pm

I've found our library system has quite a few of the Dover coloring books on various subjects. I've checked them out and made copies to color.

Like Julie, I often just google whatever subject I'm looking for and coloring page, and almost always can find something that way.

-dee

MelissaB

History research sites?

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Good websites to research historical events or people?

We like the eyewitnesstohistory site.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4