Schedule - Can I continue MFW 1 into the next year?

Learning God's Story
MJP

Schedule - Can I continue MFW 1 into the next year?

Unread post by MJP » Sun May 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:24 pm

The New Testament section of 1st can be saved for second grade. This would shorten the year for her if that would be encouraging to her.

gratitude

So far behind in MFW 1st. What to do?

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Chrystal in TX wrote:My 7yo son is entering his 2nd grade year but we are only half way finished with MFW-1. I knew we were behind in May but could see with schooling through the summer how we could finished up in September and be ready for Adventures so I went ahead and purchased Adv. Well, we've had lot of family disruptions this summer too. It looks like we will need the whole semester to finish MFW-1.

So now I'm wondering if I should skip Adventures, drag out MFW-1 with lots of reading, fieldtrips, activities, & such and start ECC next fall. I'd love to hear your input. Thanks for your help. I'm so discouraged right now.

Also, if it matters, I have a Kinder boy (aged 5) starting MFWK this fall and a 21mo running around the house tearing everything up :)
I am in a similar place. My 7 year old turned 7 in July, last month, and we are half way through MFW Grade 1 going into his 1st grade / 2nd grade year. We will be starting ADV in January. It actually puts us on track to finish the 5 year cycle half way through his 7th or 8th grade year (age 13 1/2); I don't plan on having him do ECC twice. My 2nd ds is 5 and going to be doing MFW K. I also have a 18 month and 3 1/2 year old running around.

If it helps any, I am in a similar place and really looking forward to starting ADV in January! :-) Since ADV is written for the oldest in the family who is in 2nd OR 3rd grade I don't see us as behind at all. Starting highschool work at 13 1/2 would seem early to me, if that is indeed where we end up in 6 1/2 years.

Prayers for deciding what is best for your ds & for lots of encouragement! I am sure you will know what is best for your ds.

I know my days can be very intense with the little ones. Blessings! :)
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wendy B.

Re: So far behind in MFW 1st. What to do?

Unread post by Wendy B. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Chrystal,
You are in Tx. It isn't going to matter when you finish MFW 1 or start Adventures.

We finished MFW 1 in March then started Adventures. So currently we have a start date of a new core in March and Math in June for the 8yo and a start date of the 3R's for the 5yo in August ....or something like that. ;) We will be able to get through the 5 year cycle before he hits HS age with a few months to spare. We will either spend a few months doing some Texas History or just plunge into the HS cycle. I'll figure it out when we get there.

Take your time and finish MFW 1 at a pace that works for your child. You aren't behind. I wouldn't want to attempt to stretch it out for a whole year. I also wouldn't want to skip Adventures. It's a lot of fun and a nice transition before beginning the other programs.

I gave up on following a traditional school schedule years ago. My older kids were not harmed in any way and are functioning just fine in the real world of Navy and college.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Remember that ADV is also for 3rd graders. So if you want to keep trucking with 1st, then you could start ADV when you are done (half way through the school year or whatever). Don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone has years with interruptions and things that don't go as planned. ADV is a wonderful program, but it is just as important to get that solid footing in 1st. You will enjoy it whenever you get to it!

If you have to list your curriculum for your school district paper work just list MFW with the subjects but I would think you wouldn't have to say ADV or 1st. Don't know if what I have said is useful, take it for what it is worth.

:)
Edie

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 pm

I was getting ready to comment when I realized Wendy B. already had. She said pretty much everything I was going to. So I just want to second what she said. :) (She saved me a lot of typing. ;) )

I am a schedule keeper as well and it's hard for me to get off schedule too, but I'm learning along with you. That's part of what hs'ing is about, though. Flexibility. :) I'm just believing what others have said, that it all evens out in the end. :)

There are a lot of other families here of whom are not on a 'traditional' schedule and it seems to work out fine. Sometimes life gets in the way and things happen and, well, here you are but in the end it's all good. (As they say).

Be encouraged today!! :-)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Chrystal,
((Hugs))

We've homeschooled in TX and it is wonderful that you do not have to worry about reporting anything. That is a blessing when you are behind and also at a time of grade change for public schools.

I want to remind you that as you read to each other and you practice handwriting and all other 'grade level' things, your child is still learning.

First has such wonderful bible stories and activities that I wouldn't want to miss or rush through.

Rushing through any learning that builds upon itself like math and spelling rules sometimes makes it harder for the child to get them concrete in their minds.

I say finish the 1st program and worry about Adventures when you get there. You'll most likely be starting K soon with your other child and it will be nice to not have to worry about 2 new programs. I remember incorporating another child into the learning day... that was a time I had to adjust as the teacher with two students.

And, since the topics in Adventures are covered in the 5 yr cycle, you might decide to not finish it and have a summer next summer. that is if you haven't already caught up on light fridays.

:) praying for you.
dena
Loving learning with MFW!

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Chrystal in TX wrote:Thanks for all of the encouragement. Although I do know that grade level at this age and in this state isn't a huge concern I was still freaking out because I was diverting from my original plan.

Your comments ladies helped me ease up a bit :) I really appreciate you chiming in.
My original plan for home schooling was diverted from too. (At the time I really didn't like it! ;) ). I thought we would be much further than we are by the time my oldest ds was 7. He after all was reading signs at the zoo at age 3 on his own without any school work.

Life happened to us though in September 08, and we ended up taking an entire year off from home school, six weeks after our first real start to home school in August 08. It sounds like you have had some diversions too.

God though has shown me over and over again, how much better our home school is due to the time we had away. He has shown me that the year off is actually what my ds needed and that waiting a year was good for him with his high energy & emotional sensitivities. God is bringing some amazing good & growth out of our challenges. God has been teaching me that I need to slow things down and lean on Him, even when I don't want to. He is trying to teach me the value of patience in all situations.

So I keep believing, as others have said, that it will all work out in the end.

Mexmarr

Extending MFW first grade into second grade

Unread post by Mexmarr » Sat May 05, 2012 8:11 pm

deltagal wrote:We have been using MFW 1 reading along with another curriculum for our older first grader. When my dd completed the other curriculum several weeks ago we rolled into all of MFW 1 completely. It is so delightful and a really great fit! I'm really enjoying every aspect of it - especially the hands on and living book aspect of the math. At this point, I think I would like to continue using the program in its' entirely until we complete it. She will turn 8 in September and I although I haven't figured it out exactly I think this would put us at finishing MFW 1 in December of her 2nd grade year. If we continue with MFW 1 into her second grade do any of you with previous experience recommend that we do anything "extra" or swap anything out to advance it a bit? :-)
I'd just finish the first grade, and when you're done, start 2nd grade. You don't have to follow a public school schedule.

We just started our school year in Jan. My oldest did 1/2 of a 1st grade program, we ditched it and started MFW, also.
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

kerby

Re: Extending MFW first grade into second grade

Unread post by kerby » Sat May 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Don't worry about how it'll "line up." It's more important to do what she needs, particularly w/ reading. I am using 1rst at the moment w/ ds in 2nd (he's an older 2nd). He is needing the phonics review. I did this last yr w/ K when he hit a wall w/ silent 'e.' I think 1rst moves right along. For my youngest ds, it was a bit fast and we've had to alternate it w/ some other materials to slow it down a bit. He keeps asking when we will be getting back to it. He loves doing it!!
In HIS hands,
K

4 Blessings - 2 graduated
K, 1rst, Adv, ECC, CtG, RtR, AHL

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat May 05, 2012 10:40 pm

I am so glad that you asked this question because we are in the same boat of MFW1 going into next fall and the beginning of 2nd.

We moved last August, started school in October, but didn't start MFW1 until January. We are finishing up this school year June 14th so he will start in September on day 100 or so. Wrap up around Thanksgiving or Christmas? I haven't calculated it out yet. He turned 7 two weeks ago, so he is at the younger end of 1st.

I have given some thought to this and I have decided to hold off on 2nd grade materials (Primary Language Lessons, Foreign language, Spelling, and our choice of Rod and Staff English 2) until we have finished MFW1. MFW1 has plenty for him to do, and if I am not mistaken I think the New Testament portion is actually at a second grade reading level. Correct?

I hope this helps. Your thread helped me, thank you! :)

deltagal

Unread post by deltagal » Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 pm

kerby wrote:I think 1rst moves right along. For my youngest ds, it was a bit fast and we've had to alternate it w/ some other materials to slow it down a bit. He keeps asking when we will be getting back to it. He loves doing it!!
I think it really moves along, as well, which I think is why it has been such a good fit for an older first grader. Everyday I'm so amazed that she "gets" everything in the reading. Things are really clicking!
gratitude wrote:I have given some thought to this and I have decided to hold off on 2nd grade materials (Primary Language Lessons, Foreign language, Spelling, and our choice of Rod and Staff English 2) until we have finished MFW1. MFW1 has plenty for him to do, and if I am not mistaken I think the New Testament portion is actually at a second grade reading level. Correct?
i think I may do the same, hold off on other things, unless she begins asking for more. She has begun Spanish, which is a nice rotation for her while I'm working with her siblings.

I'm not sure about the reading level for the Bible Reader. I would love to know that! Anyone?!
With Joy!
Florence
http://awhynotblog.blogspot.com/

dd 7: MFW 1st grade
ds 10, 13, 15: ECC - maps, missionaries, and reading on Wednesdays
dd 2: ?

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue May 08, 2012 2:39 pm

deltagal wrote:I'm not sure about the reading level for the Bible Reader. I would love to know that! Anyone?!
Reading level of the NT section of the Bible reader.. Good question.

One method out there that is used to assess such things is not perfect by any means. It’s the Flesch Kincaid readability scale. It’s very formula driven and tells you a score that means something along the lines of “you have to have this level of education to be able to easily understand the written document”. It is not perfected method

In spite of that, you can type up those stories and run your Microsoft Word and find out the scale.

Starting with the second story in the reader, and running, it it returns a grade level of starting 1st grade. That makes sense.
The story shown on the sample on MFW’s site returns as 2.2 grade level reading ease. That sample is more than halfway through the program.
The NT sections are returning a number of high 2nd grade/lower 3rd grade.

Remember though, it is not a perfect way to determine the reading level of something that is written.

But you can get the idea of the progression of the Bible reader. MFW 1st grade covers all phonics needed to produce an independent reader.

Not sure that helps. Not sure if the MFW office has a peer reviewed answer on the grade level of the reader in various sections.

some day... maybe ... I'll see if I can figure out how to covert a Flesch Kincaid into something like the Bormuth Grade Level readability score, which is most commonly used for school textbooks. (ps. I'm not serious on that... I can't figure it out.)
deltagal wrote: I although I haven't figured it out exactly I think this would put us at finishing MFW 1 in December of her 2nd grade year. If we continue with MFW 1 into her second grade do any of you with previous experience recommend that we do anything "extra" or swap anything out to advance it a bit? :-)
to advance it.... just fold this student into older sibs program for all other subjects. You might find things will go faster when you get there. The first grade program shifts in format quite a lot around day 126 in case you haven't seen that format change. That will give you time to do reading, practice with reader, and writing.
then use book basket and the old sibs program for everything else. There's ideas around day 126 of 1st grade about "more dictation", etc... and that's when you an assess if the copywork from both programs would be helpful or not...

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue May 08, 2012 3:45 pm

cbollin wrote:Starting with the second story in the reader, and running, it it returns a grade level of starting 1st grade. That makes sense.
The story shown on the sample on MFW’s site returns as 2.2 grade level reading ease. That sample is more than halfway through the program.
The NT sections are returning a number of high 2nd grade/lower 3rd grade.
This makes perfect sense to me for a number of reasons regarding MFW1:
1. It does move quickly
2. The NIrV Bible that Marie has them read at the BEGINNING of ADV for 2nd grade is written at a 2.9 grade level; so they need to be at that level at the end of MFW1 to do it.
3. My oldest was easily able to read through SL readers for grades 2 and 3 at the end of MFW1 and also was able to easily read Pathway Readers for grades 1, 2, and 3 at the end of MFW1.

This is what I thought. It is the reason I am OK with the fact we will end the OT and do the NT next fall. It isn't how I intended to do it originally, but it is all working out just fine with our January start for it for 1st grade. I hope this helps others too.

deltagal

Unread post by deltagal » Tue May 08, 2012 4:05 pm

cbollin wrote: to advance it.... just fold this student into older sibs program for all other subjects. You might find things will go faster when you get there. The first grade program shifts in format quite a lot around day 126 in case you haven't seen that format change. That will give you time to do reading, practice with reader, and writing.
then use book basket and the old sibs program for everything else. There's ideas around day 126 of 1st grade about "more dictation", etc... and that's when you an assess if the copywork from both programs would be helpful or not...
Ohhhhh, I didn't realize there was a format change. I'll need to pull out my guide and give this a look to see what the flow is.
gratitude wrote:This makes perfect sense to me for a number of reasons regarding MFW1:
1. It does move quickly
2. The NIrV Bible that Marie has them read at the BEGINNING of ADV for 2nd grade is written at a 2.9 grade level; so they need to be at that level at the end of MFW1 to do it.
3. My oldest was easily able to read through SL readers for grades 2 and 3 at the end of MFW1 and also was able to easily read Pathway Readers for grades 1, 2, and 3 at the end of MFW1.

This is what I thought. It is the reason I am OK with the fact we will end the OT and do the NT next fall. It isn't how I intended to do it originally, but it is all working out just fine with our January start for it for 1st grade. I hope this helps others too.
Oh, this definitely is helpful and VERY insightful. I'm getting a better feel of where we'll be. Thanks.
With Joy!
Florence
http://awhynotblog.blogspot.com/

dd 7: MFW 1st grade
ds 10, 13, 15: ECC - maps, missionaries, and reading on Wednesdays
dd 2: ?

Julie in MN

Science not finished

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 pm

cbollin wrote:In terms of "but if I don't finish by the last day of school".. I'm hoping Julie might chime back in with her insights and experiences. Even if the "school year ends".... you can pick up in the fall where you left off with a program. It's not the same as group schools when we homeschool.
Mom2theteam wrote:Another thought...I'm not one to not finish things, but could you just stop that curriculum when you start 1st? At this point the sciences don't build on each other. So, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to not finish the whole thing.
Yes, by now I am the queen of flexing start-and-end times. This doesn't just apply to your situation, but for anyone who needs to adjust something and is afraid of not checking the correct box on the correct day.

During RTR through 1850MOD, we started MFW years around Feb. 1st (2nd semester) and started math and English around Sept. 1st (1st semester), with a few things starting at odd times (like Writing Strands).

This year my high schooler started math & foreign language on 9/1, science around 10/1, and MFW's classes (Bible, English, History) around 11/1. My older high schooler's situation wasn't all that different, actually.

The thing I've learned is that it doesn't really matter to the kids. History doesn't really stop after CTG, or RTR, etc. English skills don't really stop and change levels each year. Kids don't know when one manual is about to end, unless we tell them about it. Learning is a continuous, lifelong process.

There are of course pros and cons to mixing it up. Some of the losses I've realized include:
1. Marie Hazell usually schedules a gentle intro to each year, adding in subjects gradually, so our year usually starts more full-force right where we left off. But on the other hand, sometimes it's nice to have a break later on, when we start something else mid-year.
2. Marie Hazell has worked with the schedule until it was realistic to finish an entire scope of skills in a certain number of years, so too many delays risks never getting to the end. David Hazell does a fun slide show about taking Route 66, refusing to ever use the Interstate, but then never getting where you were going.
3. Since I use summers to plan, I sometimes am spending August prepping for a February start.
4. Some subjects really go together, or need to be wrapped up together, so you need to do a little looking ahead. For instance, RTR has two science topics, so I tried to break between those. And I wouldn't want to be way ahead in Bible compared to History, since they often tie in together.
5. By high school, students really need to learn that a day's work must be done in a day, or they will sink fast (whether in public/private school, homeschool, or taking college courses). In the back of my mind, I always wanted to be sure I was preparing my son for this along the way, even when we flexed things.

But I can testify that when we do need to do something in a less-than-ideal way, God blesses us anyways.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Looking for advice on placement/combining

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:09 pm

beccawalker2000 wrote:I have a 5 year old that is not quite 1/2 through the K curriculum. He will be 6 at the end of April.
I also have a 3rd grader who will finish Adv and be ready for ECC in the fall.
I'm trying to combine as much as possible in the coming year.
My younger son is struggling getting started with reading, and won't be up to any writing--we've been taking a low stress approach to any schooling with him for now.

Is it feasible to combine him in ECC for everything except for LA and math?? He will probably be finishing up K and starting 1st during our ECC year. I've heard that the Bible reader/Notebook for 1st are wonderful, but would really prefer to be focusing on the same Bible studies for all my boys, including my younger ones who are not school age (ages 2 and 4 for the new school year.)

Ideas, tips, advice??? Thanks!
Rebekah
We like doing Bible together as well. And we stretched out 1st grade over two years, mostly because of handwriting. :) The rest of the time, she joined our oldest doing ECC. You can use the Bible Notebook with ECC's Bible lesson, too.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4