Writing - Lefties?

Learning God's Story
NJCheryl

Writing - Lefties?

Unread post by NJCheryl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 am

word spacing and lefties?
SarahP wrote:OK - so today we are doing day 14 in MFW1 - the first day to write down the memory verse and the introduction to using one's finger to put enough space between words. One kid is a righty and no issues with this - the other is a lefty and had a hard time because his right hand got in the way of his left hand when writing the next word. I tried having him place a pencil right next to the previous word - but that too hindered his hand/pencil positioning! Any tips from moms who have lefties?
I am a leftie as are 2 of my 3 children. When we did finger spacing we put the fingers next to the word, put the pencil where the next word would begin, but remove fingers from paper before beginning to write. Does that make sense? It's kind of hard to explain in word. HTH.

Cheryl

jasntas

Re: word spacing and lefties?

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 am

When my ds was in ps, his 1st grade teacher used 'space men'. They were the old fashioned clothes pins painted to look like astronauts. I have found these clothes pins at dollar stores and craft stores in different solid colors. Maybe you could pick up a small set and have your dc put their names on them or something.

Or maybe you could just use any old clothes pin or a large paper clip or something similar. A paper clip might work well since it lays flat.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

alisoncooks

Unread post by alisoncooks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:31 am

jasntas wrote:When my ds was in ps, his 1st grade teacher used 'space men'.
Haha, I did space men one year! :-)
With my K'er, right now we are using one of those big pink erasers...
Married to DH since 2000, with 2 sweet girls (2006 & 2008).

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:17 pm

I too have a lefty. I just told him to move over about the space of writing the letter "n." So, pretend to write a "n" and then move your pencil to the next letter. Yeah, the finger space thing doesn't work very well for lefties.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 pm

SarahP wrote:Thanks for the ideas! I'll have to look for the mini clothespins - I think that might work.
Hi Sarah,

I don't think the clothes pins were mini but regular size without the spring. I found a site with a picture so you could see what they look like. http://sprout.ecrater.com/p/11120092/re ... lothespins# I've never purchased from this site. I just added it for reference. I thought orientaltrading.com carried them but I couldn't seem to find them on their site. I found other spacers on OT but they came in a pack of 24, were made of cardboard and were a little expensive. http://www.orientaltrading.com/bookworm ... word+space

The ones I purchased were with the craft items and were just solid colors. I never used them but could have added small google eyes and a mouth for a simple spacer.

While looking for the spaceman clothes pins I ran across a few other ideas. One idea was to use a craft stick. It could be decorated or just used as is. Another idea was to use a "cut out finger" - that is a finger traced around and then copied onto colored card stock and laminated. Or even a little astronaut from clipart could be printed on card stock and laminated. ??

I found a little rhyme to go with the spaceman idea, too. It's sung to the tune of Mr. Sandman....

Mr. Spaceman
Leave me a space....
Make all my words go in the right place.

I have been so busy and stressed this week. It's weird, looking for school items (and helping someone else) was actually therapeutic. lol I feel a bit more relaxed now. Maybe I'll be able to go get some rest. ;)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

SarahP

Unread post by SarahP » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:37 am

Tammie,

Thank you! -
I have to add that the whole time I was reading your post I Was thinking why is she so stuck on it being a "spaceman" - in fact it seems like all the posts are about making whatever I use into a spaceman .....then it struck me - DUH! a Space - Man - to make a space *smacks forehead* - thanks for helping me laugh at myself this morning!

Sarah

TriciaMR

MFW 1 - frustrated Lefty!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 pm

amelasky wrote:My son is LOVING school again this year! So thankful that my wiggly, little left-handed boy loves school. What an answer to prayer. He is beginning to get frustrated because the Bible Notebook as well as his Blue Workbook are spiraled on the left side. It makes for a lot of discomfort when he writes. He either has tons of spiral marks pressed into his hand and arm or he cannot write as well because he's trying to hold his hand in the air.

Any ideas? I have considered having it spiral bound on the top of the pages, but then will have to have the holes cut off. (He is a bit of a neatnick and wouldn't like that.) Has anyone else dealt with this? I wish that there was a way to "special order" the spiral bound stuff for lefties. !?

NOT complaining at all, I love my MFW family/staffers....just dreaming out loud.
;)
Annie,

I just took the spiral off for my lefty when we did 1st last year. Saved lots of tears. I took it off both the blue notebook and Bible notebook. Could you take it to FedexOffice or Office Depot or someplace and have them trim (or use one of their big trimmers) the edges off.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

mandolin

Re: MFW 1 - frustrated Lefty!

Unread post by mandolin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 pm

My deceased husband was a lefty and he always used the hefty lefty notebooks, i would think having it cut off is a great plan. Husband always liked to be really neat too. Writing was an artform for him - hard to do with the spiral on the left! :)

Mandi
widow, remarried now 5 years to wonderful hubby
Loving MFW!
ECC with DSons 11 and 13, MFW 1st with DS, 8
homeschooling for 13 years

schelean

Unread post by schelean » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi Annie
I am a lefty myself. I think it is just something lefties must adjust to. Throughout my life adjustments had to be made in all areas. I don't remember it being a big deal, just something I had to do. If you think it would help, I think an offfice supply could easily cut off the side including the ugly little fringe. As an adult, I do choose the steno pads with top spirals when appropriate, however, I learned a long time ago to adjust. I think as he gets older, he will write faster and will not press and/or grip so hard and the spiral will not leave an imprint. I don't recall that being a problem. My biggest problem was always the small desk like at college that were made for just right handed students.

My 5 year old is also left handed. I will try to remember to have all our spirals from MFW recut before we use them. We just received K today. Happy box day for us! We also got in Exploration to 1850 in today! Lots of fun planning for August!
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

3homies

Unread post by 3homies » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:21 pm

The lefty in our house is almost 16 and when he was younger we always ran notebooks through a saw and took them apart, saved the holes on though and used a three ring notebook.

Colleen

Unread post by Colleen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 am

Having the Bible notebook rebound at the top might be good. However, the blue workbook has stuff on both sides of the page. Right handed kids would have the same issue as a lefty on the back of the page. I'm a lefty too, with two of four kids left handed. One of my lefties isn't school age yet. When my dd was in first, I think she just dealt with it. However, if I remember right, sometimes we'd put something (like another book) under the workbook so the spiral can sage down a little if you know what I mean. Now she does do her spelling power "backwards" in her spiral notebook. She still uses the front of the paper but she takes the test down the right half of the paper and only writes the missed words on the side closer to the spiral.

One other thing. If you twist out the spiral, you still have all the holes down the side of the pages, but they are still neat. I suppose you could just twist out the spiral and use the pages individually on the day you need them. For the Bible notebook, you could then just twist it back together at the end of the year and have a nice book. It may sound like a pain, but it's really not. I've taken apart many of my teacher's manuals to add or remove pages. HTH

Colleen in MI

P.S. I agree with you Sehelean, those college flip up desks are the worst! (That and one sided ladles at the salad bar) However, many of my classes had at least one or two left handed ones. Also, you are right, there are some things we just learn to adjust to.
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

Ruby

Unread post by Ruby » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:11 pm

i also have lefties-two of them! one went to p.s. and dealt with being in a righty world. still dreamed of using lefty notebooks, though. my second-born did mfw 1st and struggled more with the actual writing more than the spiral being in his way-lol!
but, to give my advice, i would just remove the spiral and use the pages in the same way you use the student sheets; use as you go. you could hold the papers together with a binder clip or put them into folders. whatever floats your boat. i agree with the other mom who suggested putting the spiral back on at the end of the year.