Math - Help Getting Started

Learning God's Story
Joy1139

Math - Help Getting Started

Unread post by Joy1139 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:43 pm

JL wrote: I've read the math pages in the TM, but I'm a very visual person and sometimes just reading it doesn't click with me. Does anyone have any pointers, or could you just briefly walk me through what a couple of math lessons are like? I hope this makes sense, it's late and that's probably part of my problem!
I will try to help with the first grade math question. I am also very visual and had to read the math section many times. I probably still didn't do everything exactly right. Still, I was very pleased with the math in first grade and I am also glad that I did not use another math curriculum either in place of it or alongside it. In the beginning, we tried several different things and this ended up being what we stuck with.

For the number of the day (your TM will tell you the number of the day), my son would write it on his 100 chart. This was the first page in his math binder. Next, he would go to the page where they write out the equations and he would write the days number there. Then, he would count out the number with his beans and beans sticks. He would show me that he understood what the number meant... 12 is one bean stick and two single beans, etc . After that, he would complete the equation page. He would draw a picture of his bean sticks and beans and then complete the place value and equation section. Then, he would get his penny for the day and count the money out to me. I'm sorry I don't have this right in front of me so I hope I'm not confusing you.

After that, we would do some type of math activity. We did a variety of things. Some things that we did came from the TM and some did not. Just look through your TM and put a little pencil mark by the things you want to do. You do not have to do it all. I ended up using several commercial games that I purchased ready-made. One was called Sum Swamp. It covers addition and subtraction. The other was called Little Spender. It's about money. We used the Complete Book of Math but it was really just a supplement. I would just pick and choose pages for him to complete. I tried to pick pages that had him doing some kind of activity. He loved rolling his dice and adding the numbers together.

I also did a good bit of oral math with him. During math time and at other times throughout the day, I would ask him questions about math. Like, "If I had seven cookies and ate three of them, how many would I have left?" He really enjoyed doing this.

So, that's all we really did, I think. He is doing very, very well with math in 2nd grade and will complete it quickly. I found that the math in first grade was a perfect foundation. 1st is very focused on place value and once they understand that, everything just clicks together very well.

JL

Unread post by JL » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:02 pm

Thank you, Joy1139, for kind of 'walking me through' your math lesson. I had read the math section a couple of times, but it just wasn't clicking at all! After reading your post, and reading the section again, I can kind of 'see' how it will work.

Thanks so much!

JL

Lucy

Complete Book of Math

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:29 pm

momma2boys wrote:I have ds (8) and ds (6). I am excited to get started!! One question - I ordered the Complete Book of Math for my 6 year old - should I go through it front to back, one section at a time? Or should I skip around? Thanks!!!
Anna
Hi Anna,

In the first grade manual the topics are all cycled through twice. The manual suggest that you use a page or 2 from each topic as you move through the book. She spends more time on such topics as addition and subtraction. You will see that some topics have more pages than others so I would let this be a guide as to how many weeks you should spend on a topic. Once the topic looks like it is moving into a new level of the concept move on to the next topic saving it for the 2nd time you cycle back around.

This is all laid out in a schedule in the first grade manual. Remember too that this book is used to compliment the first grade math program and is not considered by MFW to be a complete program.The math intro. even states that the pages are supplementary and that the hands-on activities in the manual are more important. Be sure to add lots of everyday, real-life math activities for your first grader and to use the hands-on activities suggested in the Complete Book of math to teach the topics.

I hope that helps you make your plans.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Cyndi (AZ)

Help with math materials

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:02 pm

groovymama wrote:Where is the calender? I have looked and looked.

Also, what day do we start using the yellow/blue circles?
Any information will be so helpful.
Actually, we didn't get the neat pre-printed fill-in-the-number calendars with MFW1 like we had with MFWK -- and we were BUMMED about it! We bought a big wall calendar and used it instead, but Crystal's idea of using one of those freebie calendars or one with cute pictures works great, too. My dd got one as a present that had a coloring page each month and she put it up by her school desk herself! The charts with days of the week and months of the year are good tools and easy to make.

As far as I can tell about the Math Boxes, it's your pick when to do what. I never had a firm schedule with it. (And probably didn't do a good enough job.) The TM says, "Spend some time most school days on addition and subtraction." You get to pick which hands-on activity you'd like to use. I just flipped through the Grid and didn't find mention of the Math Boxes.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

Re: Help with math materials

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:04 pm

[quote="groovymama""] Also, what day do we start using the yellow/blue circles?
Any information will be so helpful.[/quote]
The yellow/blue circles are one suggested hands on activity for teaching Addition and Subtraction. The detailed information about how to use them will be in the manual around pages 16-17 called Addition and Sub,traction Activities, math boxes. These are the pages just before the start of Day 1's detailed instructions.

Those hands on activities involving the yellow/blue circles will be scheduled in the Math Grid weekly schedule starting on Day 33 and then again later in the year. So, when the topic in the grid is about Addition and Subtraction is when you can do those activities in addition (a hem) to other times that you would like to do them.

-crystal

RachelT

Re: Help with math materials

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Daisy! If you can't find your calendars, we have found it fun to design and print calendars each month on the website below:
www.starfall.com

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Lainie

Math - Help Getting Started with the math

Unread post by Lainie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:29 pm

lschalk wrote:I have no idea when to incorporate the Complete Book of Math! The only math activities I [see] in my TM are calendar, number of the day, and 100 chart.
Linda
Posted Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:47 pm by Lainie
Hi Linda,
First of all {{{big hug}}} and don't forget to breathe.

I purchased MFW 1st last year too so hopefully we are looking at the same TM.

In the first two days of the yellow section (YS), you are right that it simply refers to Calendar, Number of the Day and 100 Chart.

Right above days 3 through 7 there is a box titled Sequences. Underneath is a Hands-On activities section and Workbook section. For days 3-7 your child should complete pages 4-12 of the CBoM as well as pages 13-20. How much your child does each day is based on you and your child. The exact amount for each day isn't scheduled just the amount for the week since each child is different and capable of different lengths of seat work.

Does that make sense? After the first week, above the Day__ grid you will see a box above it with assigned CBoM pages, library book suggestions (from the list starting on page 222 of the TM) as well games to play to reinforce math (see page 220 of TM)

Don't worry!
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

Poohbee

Re: Math - Help Getting Started with the math

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:39 pm by Poohbee

Lainie explained the yellow grid section very well, I thought. I just wanted to add a couple of things.

You will cycle through all of the topics covered in 1st grade math twice. So, the first time through, you spend a week on Sequences, a week on Sorting and Classifying, 2 weeks on Numbers and Counting, a week on Comparing, etc. Along with Calendar, Number of the Day, and 100 Chart, you choose something for each day. One day, you might read a children's literature selection that relates to the topic. Another day, you might do a sheet from the CBoM. Another day, you might play a math game or do a hands-on activity for fun reinforcement. (The CBoM and the TM have great ideas for hands-on activities and games). One day a week, if you ordered the deluxe pkg., you use pattern blocks and the Pattern Animals book. (The pattern blocks and animals were my dd's favorite thing to do each week)!

And, since you will cover each topic twice, you don't have to feel that you need to use ALL of the children's lit. book suggestions or ALL of the CBoM sheets the first time around. Know that you will do some of them when you go through the topic a second time, in more depth or at a higher level.

The wonderful thing about the yellow grid pages is that it gives you a choice. It allows you to incorporate hands-on activities, children's literature, and worksheets, and you get to choose when you want to do what. I would say, don't do hands-on and a worksheet and a game all on the same day. It would probably be too much for a first grader. Mix it up a bit and do one activity one day and a different activity the next. I found this to be especially important during the first time through the topics. We tended to do more hands-on and literature the first time through and only a few worksheets. The second time through, we did more worksheets. That's just how it worked for us.

I'm sure the office will get back to you and be very helpful! Don't give up! You can do it!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

cbollin

1st grade math

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:40 pm

kugoi wrote:Last week was box day, yay!! I got 1st for ds and neither of us can wait to get started. Anyways, I was reading through the teacher's manual and I'm a little confused about the math. This is what I'm getting.

Everyday we do the calendar, 100 chart, # of the day activities on pages 9 and 10. Then we do the appropriate hands on activities, library books, workbook pages at my discretion, keeping in mind we'll go through the cycle again. Is that right?

My confusion comes in here, is there any time that I do the activities and they aren't listed? Like it won't say every week to do a graph, but under graphs it says to do one a week. What about the addition and subtraction activities. Do I wait to do any of those until they're scheduled, starting on Day 33? Or do I start them right away? And then once we've explored the properties, I need to add in drill right?
The K and 1st grade manuals are very differently organized. I think as you get started in the first grade, it will click.

I would wait to start Addition/Subtraction on day 33. Some children will need into 2nd grade to learn those math facts. It’s ok. Drill is started on Day 33 as part of the activities. After the add/subt focus unit is completed, I would find ways to work for 2-5 minutes on some drills on as many other days as it seems right to do so. So, it would become part of my daily routine even after the 4 week focus unit is done. I’m not sure what MFW’s intent was.

{In the Kindy program you will start some basic addition and subtraction. so it's not like they will never see addition/subtraction before day 33 in first grade.)

Are there times you do the activities and they aren’t listed?
I’m assuming you mean the section called Other math Games and Activities (p.13-15 in my manual). I would wait to introduce them until they are listed in the schedule. Then, when you come to the Exploration Day (when math is lightly scheduled) you can add in for review and fun some of your child’s favorite activities done to that point. So if they’ve enjoyed one of those activities, let them play again. Exploration Day is an easy day for that because the math is lighter. (every 5th day)

On the times where the activities are listed, you will have some freedom to select and mix/match during the week. For example, on the weeks where Addition and Subtraction is the focus of the math unit, you do not have to play all 4 “games” and all of the Add/Subt activities on each day. That would be overwhelming and take too much time. Mixing and matching will allow for your child to enjoy a wide variety of stuff for those 4 weeks of Addition/Subtraction focus.

This seems to be the part you understand.
Math is set up for 5 days per day.
On one of those days, which is called Exploration Day, you have a break in the routine and for math you do the Pattern Animals block book. (you can add in some favorite activities that you have already done.)

On the other days the routine is:
*Calendar,
*Number of the Day (and it will list in the math schedule what the number of the day is. This is a little confusing because you don’t do number of the day on Exploration Day. So you’ll hit Number 100 as the number of the day on school day 124. but don’t worry. It works out.
*100 Chart
*Hands On activities (well, that starts on school day 8) as scheduled in the grid
*Workbook Pages (also starting on school day 8) optional
(and the real life math, which is done during life, not necessarily school time)

The hands on activities and workbook pages are scheduled in the Math Grid. All of that you understood correctly. They don't have to do all of those workbook pages the first time through, or the 2nd time either.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cbollin

Re: 1st grade math

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:00 pm

kugoi wrote:Like it won't say every week to do a graph, but under graphs it says to do one a week.

You mentioned the Weekly Graph/Chart says to "try to make a new one each week"

Several things:
*some charts will be done in the context of other math topics. One example is with the Addition/Subtraction activities to show different ways to add up to a number. So, even though Graphing is not the topic those weeks, you will have scheduled opportunities to make charts in some other math topics.

*Depending on how you read that suggestion in the section called Weekly Graph/Craft, it may be possible that Marie didn’t intend it to be a “do this once a week for the whole year.” I completely understand if you or anyone reads it that way because I did too. But if that were the case, Marie would have scheduled it that way. That’s just her style. (or no one has ever said "hey did you intend to leave that out?!)

So, that makes me look at that sentence in the context of the whole year of plans, and I wonder out loud (and could be wrong):
**make graphs/chart of many things including some that cover a week’s worth of information such as “how many days this week did it rain?” Some people might enjoy expanding it to bigger stuff such as a month's worth of information.
**If you want to do some kind of weekly graph each week of school, you have the freedom to do that. I personally plan to wait until it is scheduled and then consider doing more graphs once in a while when there is interest.
**and my interpretation is that you’d wait until the topic is introduced in the weekly math guide before doing the graphs, then as interest and time permit, try to do a new graph each week after that. (but remember, you’ll do some graphs in some other activities.) So maybe you don't have to do a new one each and every week of the whole school year.

-crystal

kugoi

Re: 1st grade math

Unread post by kugoi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:57 am

Thanks Crystal!

I understand what you're saying, probably because it's pretty much how I was thinking of things, but wasn't sure if that was the way it was supposed to be. I just needed someone to tell me, lol.

The good thing is that we're already pretty far along. DS can already count by 2s, 5s and 10s. He started doing it by himself several months ago, so we've been practicing since them. He's also pretty good at addition and subtraction already because we've been adding it into daily life. Even my 4yo is doing addition up to 5. So I'm not really worried about it, was just a little confused.
Mom of 7, ages 14, 10, 8, 6, 4, 1 and new baby.
Have used K, 1st, Adv, ECC, and CtoG

hollybygolly

math activities in First?

Unread post by hollybygolly » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:57 pm

my3boys wrote:I've been planning out a schedule for the first few weeks of First. I am finding the number of suggested daily math activities overwhelming. I am assuming that I'm supposed to choose a few to do for a while and then switch it up with a few different ones? - I'm just not even sure where to start. Can someone help me sort through it?
Hi there~

I don't have my manual downstairs right now...I know the math LOOKED overwhelming to me too at first. What I had to do was read and reread those math pages and the daily grid section about 3 times thoroughly before it "clicked." From what I can remember, each day you do the following:

1. Calendar
2. 100 sheet (writing the number of the day/counting) and gluing a bean onto a stick to eventually teach tens and ones
3. That little daily math sheet where they write the number and an equation
4. Daily game or activity (using the ideas in the math section of the manual) that go along with the topic in the daily grid
5. For extra practice, you can add any pages from the Complete Book of Math that correspond to the topic being taught.

It seems like a lot, but it actually flowed very nicely! What I had to really drill into my head was that the workbook was IN ADDITION to the math, extra practice, optional, not required. It was so much easier for me to focus on the worksheets but the games and hands-on stuff is where the real learning happened. I'm sure some other mamas will be along to help you. : ) Holly
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation

cbollin

Re: math activities in First?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi Alison,

I'm wondering.. do you mean the games and things from about pages 13-17 ish?

I'm feeling the organization pain myself this time around in 1st grade math. In my case, it clicked 4 years ago. hmm... I got older and more stressed recently. <grin>

anyway. Lots of those p. 9-17 activities will actually be scheduled in the yellow pages. One such quick example: take a quick glance at yellow math schedule for days 13-22. You'll see that is a good time to play specific games from pages 13-15. When addition/subtraction is the focus such as days 98 through whatever it is, you'll get a note in the yellow grid to do stuff from pages. 16-17. And it's like that all through it. So, that will help.

my help and hint to overcome that flipping around feeling from how it is printed?

1. use the cardstock summary sheet from the student supplement material to help organize the daily routines. (that's the same stuff that is on p. 9-12 in summary format.) I will put it in a page protector in a few minutes... and it stays on the bulletin board next to my dd's desk. Those are done 4 days each week. on exploration day, you don't.
2. start with the yellow grid for it to click
3. then turn to the instructions pages in the manual when the grid says to

Praying for both of our brains to just let it flow!
amen.

-crystal

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks Crystal! It is the stuff on pages 9-17 that I was talking about. All those ideas are great and I want to get them in, but I know that between teaching two kids First, managing CtG for my 10yo and a bunch of therapy appointments for my 7yo - if it's not scheduled I won't do it. I'm trying to schedule out everything ahead of time so that I actually use the materials I bought this year. I haven't even looked at the student sheets so I'll have to check out that page you were talking about. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one too :)
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

inHisgrip

Unread post by inHisgrip » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Thank you for asking this Alison! We just purchased 1st this weekend and I've been pouring over the TM. Anyone who is worried about there not being enough math in 1st is crazy (or hasn't looked at the TM). I'm excited to be able to teach so much math in such a hands on way.

And... thanks Crystal for the reminder to take it as it comes. I always need to hear that.

Now, to finish K ;)

- Amy
Married since 98 to my best friend
ds 2003
dd 2005
angel baby October 2008
ds 2009
ds 2014

romans8x28

Mom struggling with 1st grade math

Unread post by romans8x28 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:41 am

kimber79 wrote:Hi everyone! I'm preparing for MFW-1st and have been reading through the math portion and making a list of what would be required of my son daily in addition to what would be specific to each day such as the hands-on activities and workbook pages. According to the daily math activities listed in the TM, it seems like those alone will take a while to complete in order to be sure that my son understands what we're doing (he has only done the math provided in MFW-K along with supplemental games and math worksheets.) It looks like the daily math along with the other activities could take almost an hour to get through just based on my calculations. Does this sound about right?

Also, is there more of a teaching method for some concepts like counting by 2's, 5's and 10's or do we just do that each day? I'm feeling like it's a lot to grasp just in the daily activities that I don't want to rush through it and not have my son get it just for the sake of going through it all daily. I've looked in the Saxon 1 TM that was given to me as a comparison and it also includes some of the same daily activities like calendar, counting, etc. but also spreads out some of the concepts over a time period rather than having everything happen daily. Am I missing something about MFW math? Or am I just not understanding and/or over-analyzing how this is supposed to happen? The Complete Book of Math is more of just worksheets to practice concepts along with hands-on activities but isn't actually teaching concepts just practicing, or is that how it will be learned, through practicing? Thanks in advance for your help in understanding this!
What I did was break all the activities down to usually one but sometimes two a day, depending on how many were listed and if it was a one or two week time frame for the overall concept. Then, I broke down the number of pages in the CBoM to do as even number each day as possible. So far, it hasn't been taking very long. The most CBoM we've done is a front and back page so far and the pages have been really easy. Of course, we're only on day 18 so my plan might not ending up working when there are days with more pages and the concepts are getting harder. The Teacher's Manual emphasizes that the most important part of the math is the activities and if you aren't getting the CBoM done that is okay. Also, you do each concept twice--the second time at a harder level, so some of the pages from the first round can be saved for the second round, though there are new pages listed for the second round, too.

Just for example the next one week long concept is Comparing Sizes on Days 23-27. The two activities listed are Number War & Guess My Number from the TM and pages 65-70 in the CBoM. Day 23--Number War & CBoM 65; Day 24--Guess My Number & CBoM 66-67; Day 25--Exploration Day-No Math; Day 26--Number War & CBoM 68-69; Day 27--Guess My Number & CBoM 70.

Are you talking about counting by 2's, 5's, and 10's as an activity for after you've reached Day 100? I took all of those "after 100 chart is done" activities and assigned one of them for each day. (I made count by 2's a separate day from count by 5's, etc.) Use your 100 chart or find/make a blank one and fill in all the "by 2's" with one color and they can practice using the chart until they are able to say them orally without help.

Hopefully someone who has made it through the whole year will be able to chime in with their ideas, too!
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

kimber79

Re: Mom struggling with 1st grade math

Unread post by kimber79 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for your help! I didn't realize that counting by 2's, 5's and 10's was to be done once the 100 chart had been completely filled out - that makes more sense now. I'll go back and look at the pages in the CBoM to see how you've lined things out here and see if I can figure out a plan too. Thanks!

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:05 pm

We are on day 29 of 1st. I'm not having an issue getting the math in as far as the amount of time it takes. The daily activities go really fast after just a couple of weeks and I can definitely tell he is learning from them even though we go through them very quickly. In fact, he usually does his calendar while I'm making breakfast. From the counter, I ask him, "Okay, what is today? What was yesterday? What is tomorrow?" Then, he writes his number in the 100 chart and adds his bean. Often, he even does his number of the day sheet while I'm making breakfast. I will go over and fill in the boxes and then he will go from there. I'll ask him how many bean sticks and how many single beans and he will draw them. I stop from breakfast for a minute to help him with the expanded number. (But, he is really not going to need help with that much longer and he barely does now.) I help him with the equations from the counter too. He does his own equation using beans as manipulative. He counts out the number of total beans he needs to come up with and then separates into two piles and counts the piles and writes the equation. (I often have him count the beans by 2's ;) ) He really has learned quite a bit just by the daily activities already. (We also have a weather chart that he fills in.) I have mine count by 2's, 5's or 10's to the day we are on on the 100 chart. It only takes a few seconds. Doing it this way helps with the overall amount of time it takes. At first, I sat down with him to do it all. Now, I don't have to.

We are more into workbook pages than hands on activities. We do the workbook pages and then add the hands on as we have time, but you could definitely do the opposite. For the "games" I put a time limit on them. Like number war, I put a timer on for 10 minutes or so and we play for that long and stop. That keeps us to the time limit. I make sure to focus on stuff he hasn't mastered. If the planned theme is something he already has down very well, I review it for a day or two and work on something he doesn't know as well for the rest of the week. I think last week was comparing or something like that. We worked on place value for most of the week because he hadn't mastered that. We probably spend a total of 20-30 minutes on math each day in addition to the 10 minutes or so on the daily activities.

Hope that helps!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi, Kimber -

To save time each day, we put together a 1st grade Math binder with tabs for: calendar; 100 chart; store coupons; etc. There was a clear pocket in the front of the binder with several wood shape pieces (for calendar pattern work) and the crayons/markers needed. We could flip quickly through the binder, which saved a lot of time.

It may take a few days to get into the "groove" of the MFW math, but we thought it was an excellent(!) program. By the end of the year, our dd was counting money, adding, subtracting, completely comprehending place value, counting by tens, etc..

Enjoy! :-)
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MelissaB

Struggling with 1st grade math

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:21 pm

mtmom9107 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:00 pm
So saying my 7 year old dd is struggling is often a gross understatement. We are using Learning God's Story as written and just started week 10. She is doing acceptably well with all other areas (reading, Bible, etc)

We have been doing all the math activities every single day they are assigned. She really isn't getting it and it's so frustrating! For example: when we do the 100 chart she can tell me what is 1 number more than whatever number i'm pointing at, and she does okay with it. But then we go to do addition and try to add 1 to something and I word it exactly the same and she is completely clueless! I break out that 100 chart again and we go over it again with the math problem and it takes 4-5 times over the same problem before she really just repeats the answer back to me that i've been telling her without actually understanding. I have also tried using beans, counting bears and the unifix cubes as visuals. She struggles with simply identifying numbers, especially the teens. 13 is very often 30 and vise versa for example. I don't think she is dyslexic because she does pretty good with her reading lessons, sure there's the normal 'b' vs 'd', but she usually catches it herself and reads fine.

Has anyone else had similar struggles that has found success with something else? Or should I just continue to push through, try to not exasperated and hope that eventually something will click.
I look forward to hearing from other Moms on this, but my first instinct is to say: Slow down. Keep moving forward.

Are you doing the workbook? I might put it aside for a few months - - just a few months! You'll be surprised how much children that age develop mentally in a short time. Do the activities she's strongest in during most of the class time, and introduce one thing she struggles about halfway through.

She WILL get it! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Re: Struggling with 1st grade math

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:16 pm

I agree with Melissa to allow more time. Like she said, you can either set it aside or keep introducing new lessons daily. Math teaching materials cannot anticipate each child's "lightbulb moment" exactly, and it's great in homeschool that we're free to slow down and speed up, to speed forward and step back. There will be many math bumps over the years, even into college, and kids will jump ahead here and need to repeat something there.

Here is some homeschool wisdom I tried to remember when my kids didn't get something:

1. Ruth Beechick used to say that the best program was "the third one" -- because by that time, the child was ready for whatever you had been trying to teach.

2. The Bluedorns (of Trivium Pursuit, a Christian classical ed book) didn't introduce formal math until age 10, and their kids were very advanced.

I remember one day on the boards we were discussing kids who weren't grasping math methods. At the time, I was a grandma of a kindergartner and observed that kids repeat over and over until they know it so well that they want to go faster. Here it is, in case that didn't make sense: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 353#p97353

Anyways, my point is that as a grandma, I saw no need to rush; as a mom, I might have answered differently LOL.

As her mom and teacher, you both care and feel responsible -- <hugs> for that.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:24 am

Hi Laura,
I could've written your post. My oldest has struggled with math from the beginning. I totally agree with the other ladies, take it SLOW. I don't recommend switching curriculums. We've tried 5 or so and...the curriculum isn't the problem. ;) MFW's 1st grade math, IMO, is the best way for children to learn math, especially children who struggle in this area. I've learned to slow things way down and be patient. I'll admit that I wasn't as patient as I would've liked to be in past years. I was a decent math student in school and could not wrap my mind around that fact that my sweet girl just didn't "get" it.

Some encouragement?.... She'll get it. Eventually. My dd is technically a 4th grader, but we're trucking through a 2nd grade level math book. (She doesn't know that bc we use a non-graded curriculum ;) ) It used to freak me out that she was so "behind", but now we just move along at her pace. She still hates math for the most part, but there's always that occasional day (this morning, in fact), when she says, "You know, Mommy, math isn't SO bad. It's sometimes kind of cool to figure out the answer." Now ask me again tomorrow and it will probably be the opposite response!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

mtmom9107

Unread post by mtmom9107 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks everyone! It's still going a little rough, but if anything your advise and encouragement to chill out and keep plugging along is making it not quite so rough! :)
Laura

Wife to my darling Jeramy for 8 years
Mommy to:
Josie~age 7 ~ Currently using: Learning God's Story.
Eva~age 4 ~ Currently using: Sonlight P4/5, Rod and Staff workbooks.
Judah~22 months
Baby girl coming early November, 2015