Reading - How far does MFW 1st take the new reader?

Learning God's Story
cbollin

Reading - How far does MFW 1st take the new reader?

Unread post by cbollin »

Shauna wrote:We are brand new to MFW, using the kindergarten curriculum for my 5 yr old and MFW 1st grade for my 7 yr old. So far so good.

I have been looking ahead in the 1st grade workbook and reading through some of the curriculum. I am amazed how far they will have gone by the end of the year. When I look at the front of the book and then at the end, I can't believe how much is covered, yet it seems to be so relaxed in the approach. This seems like magic. I'm not sure how this progression will take place, but I'm ready for the ride. I am so intrigued by this, which leads to a few questions.

Can someone please tell me where the end of the 1st grade has left their little ones in terms of phonics/reading? Are they at a point where they can pick up a book and enjoy reading? Is the end of MFW 1st grade the end of phonics? It almost appears so. I am still rather new at all this, last year being my 1st year of homeschooling. Thanks in advance for your insights.
Shauna,

MFW 1st grade covers all the rest of phonics past short vowels. In 2nd grade, or whenever the end of the learning to read stage is finished, children work more with learning to spell, and more composition skills. (move from decoding to encoding, to use fancy terms)

MFW does recognize that not all children learn at the same rate and that some will still be learning those "end of the year" phonics rules at the start of the next year. (Even one of the author's children learned to read later than the end of 1st grade and he is just fine.)

In terms of where they will be at the end of the 1st grade program, take a look through the end of the Bible reader at the new Ttestament stories. The phonics instruction ends with the last old testament story. The NT stories are where they will be at the end of the phonics instruction. That is around day 126 in the Teacher's Manual.

Also, around day 126, you find some additional notes about reading, and writing for the program.

Other tips: make sure you find the appendix of the teacher's manual. It starts after day 160. Several suggestions for reading, reading games, the extensive library lists for math and science (i.e. 1st grade book basket).

--crystal
TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts »

Hi!

I just wanted to respond regarding the "how are they reading by the end" question. My son, very good in math, a little less enthused about reading, did extremely well with the MFW1 lessons. I have been amazed at how he has retained the things we learned. Still, he would rather be doing other things than reading. However... :)

Last week, our Adventures in MFW arrived, complete with his own NIrV Discoverer's Bible. He couldn't WAIT to get his hands on it! He tore into it, and in a matter of moments had read the first half of Genesis 1. I assisted him on a couple of words that he was unfamiliar with, but he was doing 98% of it by himself. That Bible is written at a 2.8 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) reading level - nearly 3rd grade!

There is nothing more exciting than seeing your child enjoy reading the Bible for him/herself! As I watched that day (and CRIED), I thanked God for the Hazells & this wonderful curriculum. I couldn't be more pleased. God bless you as you continue this amazing journey in MFW!!

Paige in NC
Shauna

Unread post by Shauna »

Thanks everyone!. Thankyou for taking the time to answer my questions. We have had a great 1st week with MFW. Today we made our worm house in a jar. What fun!

I do have a few more questions. It seems like we are doing quite a bit of work, but when I look at the clock I am surprised to learn that only an hour has passed. Is the 1st week a little slow, to help the kids adjust to school again, or will it be like this all the time? Just wondering.

I am ready and willing to spend anywhere from 2-4 hrs on school each day, but how do you all keep your kids interested and eager to play when they are on their own, whether it be educational or just plain fun?
Thanks again.
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

We had a great thread about this at one point this summer.
Productive Afternoons might be worth a look.

The first grade program is designed to take about an hour so that it is age appropriate for one on one instruction. Then you can have play time, chores, life skills, an extra book or two, find service projects to do as a family, etc.

--crystal
P.S. By the time you're in the upper programs the time involved gets longer each year.
Lucy

Unread post by Lucy »

I am so glad you had a good first week and lots of fun too.

All of the MFW years start slow for the first couple of weeks. This is one thing that I love about MFW. The amount of time will of course depend on your student but usually MFW 1 is about an 1 1/2 -2 hours a day. Eventually there will be new phonics work and math work and they will begin writing in the bible notebook which will add some other time to the day.

Lucy
Last edited by Lucy on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.
Joy1139

First Grade

Unread post by Joy1139 »

My son began first grade when he was six and reading three letter words. He did not want to learn to read at all but I had been reading out loud to him for at least one hour a day since he was four. Before he had even finished all of the phonics workbook, reading just clicked for him. By the end of the year, he could read literally anything that he picked up. Now, he loves to read and reads very frequently throughout the day on his own. For Adventures, he refuses to use the Bible that comes with the curriculum. Rather, he is insisting on reading his KJV! Obviously, I am very pleased with the effectiveness of the phonics lessons.

First grade took us about 90 minutes most days. We only did school four days a week.

Other productive pursuits around here: well, I always made it a goal to read aloud at least an hour a day. Also, he spends alot of time outside. We have a very small pond (one of the larger ornamental types for the yard) that we filled with bass and other freshwater fish. He spent hours and hours out there. We take frequent nature walks. He does some chores each day but not enough!
Shauna

Unread post by Shauna »

Wow...You all are very inspiring...and Crystal...that was a great thread!

Now where do I start? With so many great ideas, it will be hard to decide.
Lucy

Unread post by Lucy »

mikesherry wrote:My last decision is in regards to what to order from MFW. I am going to order K for sure. I am trying to decide between ordering the 1st grade package for my oldest daughter or only ordering K and having my 1st grader join in and picking a separate math and reading for 1st.
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:52 pm

MFW 1st covers all the phonics needed to produce a reader. MFW does not continue with more phonics instruction in 2nd grade but encourages you to continue having the child practice lots with books that are easy for her and some that are right at her level. Phonics is reviewed using the 2nd grade spelling suggestions. Also the MFW 1st manual has great game suggestions which are used while using the program and great for review when needed.

MFW first also provides a great foundation in beginning composition and includes math instruction. This all scheduled for you in one manual and from my experience in the past I think it would be easier than having separate programs and manuals.

The K program takes about 1 hour a day and the 1st program takes about 1 1/2 hours per day. Some of this will be done together too so I do not think it will be too much for you. Primarily these 2 programs are Language Arts and Math programs with fun hands-on science and in 1st bible history woven into the language arts program. This will make lots more sense once you see it. :)

Here is a link for you that shows doing K and 1st together and what to do the following year. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=191

After you have read this let us know what other questions or concerns you may have.
Lucy
Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC »

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:52 pm
Cyndi (WA) wrote:MFW1 does a fantastic job of teaching phonics. I would not skip it with your oldest if you want her to have a solid foundation in phonics before moving forward.
Gotta agree here. Speaking from been there, done that experience. MFW 1st provides so much more than just learning to read activities and basic math... it totally prepares the child to move into the other programs, and encompasses a whole range of skills that the child will need. I would really encourage having your dd go through the program before advancing her.

I think you will be surprised how much your kids will end up doing together. If they are anything like my kids, you won't be able to keep them out of each other's "school stuff" even if you want to!

That thread that Lucy gave you is great to help you figure out how it can all fit together really well.