Math - Complete Book of Math, specific questions

Learning God's Story
Marie

Math - Complete Book of Math, specific questions

Unread post by Marie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:08 pm

Are lesson plans included for The Complete Book of Math?
the loshes wrote:Do lesson plans for MFW1 include how to incorporate The Complete Book of Math from the Deluxe Package?
Also, do the recommended Math Sense Blocks have enough guidelines of how to use for 1st grade or do we need anything else to make them useful?
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:01 am
1. Yes. We have added a math guide so that you know when to use The Complete Book of Math to reinforce topics you are teaching. The book has ideas for hands-on teaching as well as colorful workbook pages.

2. Math Sense Blocks are used with the Alphabet Book from the Kindergarten Deluxe package but are also excellent for hands-on teaching of addition and subtraction. They come with a small booklet that gives ideas. We recommend using them for K-2nd and even older to provide a hands-on demonstration so kids understand better.

southernshae

Do we go through The Complete Book of Math twice?

Unread post by southernshae » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:35 pm

2lilreds wrote:Hello! I have a question about the Complete Book of Math. I went through last night and sorted everything for my 1st grader in to folders by weeks, including tearing out the pages of the CBoM. I noticed that once we finish with it once through, everything is listed again, including the pages of the CBoM. Now, the way I interpreted this is, I don't have to buy a second math workbook; we're going to repeat the topics and use the hands-on activities to promote understanding of the concepts at a higher level. Is that right?

Beth
Wife to Todd for 11 years
Mom to Emma, 6, and Abigail, 5
Beth,
No, you certainly only need one CBofMath because you'll only be using some pages of each section each time through . I know that some don't even use this book, but it was a hit here at our house.

I think it's great that you sorted the pages into folders...I didn't think of that, but flipped to the section we were on and just chugged away with the pages until the next topic came up. My ds LOVED this book and would often do many more pages than I thought he would each day.

The idea is to cover the easier pages of the section the first time, and then when you reach it again, you go at a deeper level. For us, this meant learning about time to the hour the first time around, then time to the half hour the next, etc. For money, we covered pennies and nickels the first time through, and then dimes and quarters the next. For one of the weeks on addition and subtraction, we finished out the money section where you add up the costs of things. We never got to the section on two and three digit addition and subraction, though, but that's just fine because my ds got a really solid foundation in 1st grade math and we can do this next year.

Hth,
Southernshae
4 dc (3 in ps, 1 dc at home)
MFW1 ...slowly.. with ds
Past user of MFW1, ADV, and ECC

2lilreds

Thank you!

Unread post by 2lilreds » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:21 pm

Thanks so much for your reply! I did think that sometimes there were a LOT of pages to complete in a week, and it makes much more sense to use the harder ones the second time around. It's probably more material to cover than I think it is. I guess it will also depend on how quickly my girlie gets the concepts, too.

I put everything into weeks because my other daughter is doing the K curriculum this year, and it's set up to do a letter per week (as you probably know) and it makes things easier for me to pull stuff for both of them when I have them organized the same way.

southernshae

Unread post by southernshae » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:11 pm

2lilreds wrote:Can I ask another question? In the front of the book, there is a long list of manipulatives that the book suggests. What did you use? We have quite a few manipulatives, and I certainly don't think we need everything on the list, but there were a few we're lacking that I considered getting. I'm curious to know what you found to be the most useful.
You'll probably get lots of different responses, but for us we only used the dried kidney beans, popsicle sticks, coins, dice, math sense blocks, and the cardboard circles, . We also enjoyed using whatever was called for in a particular CBofM lesson (goldfish or animal crackers, skittles, m&m's). My ds just seemed to get the concepts without lots of different manipulatives and the few we did use just seemed to do the trick for him. A good set of flashcards (for later on in 1st grade and the subsequent grades as well ) is a great idea, too. I have a favorite set.

Have fun!
Southernshae
4 dc (3 in ps, 1 dc at home)
MFW1 ...slowly.. with ds
Past user of MFW1, ADV, and ECC

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:48 pm

For manipulatives:
We used whatever we had available. Beans, beads, wooden blocks, a set of pre made for math block (math u see), the number puzzles and number pegs from the MFW preschool program. Also, cups, plates, forks, spoons, food. Shoes (good for pairs), anything that was around the house.

-crystal

Winkie

Unread post by Winkie » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:05 pm

Beth,
Brownie Points to you for being so organized! :-)

As you noticed, the math topics all repeat again. (important to keep in mind when ordering your library books too) Addition/Subtraction even repeats for a 3rd cycle.

The other thing to remember is that the CBM is a 1st-2nd grade book. Within each section, the sheets go from easier to harder. So the pages at the end of a section you might not even want to use this year - it depends on how quickly your dd grasps the math, i suppose.

We're on Day 33 of MFW1 and I've noticed that once we've done the hands-on activities and read the library book, the CBM sheets can be redundant. I pick one sheet to do daily, but sometimes we just skip it.
HTH!
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:24 pm

I think that Winkie was getting at this too but you are not expected to have your child do all of the pages that are in the book. As she said sometimes they only did one sheet because they just did not need it and as another poster said her kids did them because they liked them. So do not feel that, if your child has the concept and would be frustrated by having to just do a worksheet when they know that concept , you have to do them.

Have a great year in MFW 1!

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Math - Unifix cubes in Complete Book of Math

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Page 7: The instructions are on page 6 in the section called Picture patterns. We varied it a bit. I'll described that in a moment.

Basically, you color each "block" of the paper "pattern cards" in some kind of pattern. Help your child with ideas. Here are some suggestions. Let's do red blue red blue red blue. Or red blue purple red blue purple. Or , what my kid did --- circle square triangle., 1 2 3 1 2 3 A B A B

Then you match real objects --either brand name unifix cubes if you have them, or math u see block if you have them or Cuisenaire rods if that is what you have or even colored beads, legos, etc. Anyway.... you match the colors of the real objects to the patterns that you made on the pattern cards.

On page 6 it gives you some extra ideas if you want to make more copies of page 7, or mount it on poster board and laminate them. yeah right... I didn't bother with that :) I don't laminate.

Does that make sense? You are not trying to fold the things on page 7 into a paper shape or anything like that. It is to play a matching game.

-crystal

cbollin

Questions about 1st grade math

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 am

sarah wrote:In the Complete Book of Math under the measuring section, it recommends making a homemade balance scale out of a wire coat hanger hanging down, then put a small margarine tub on each end to put objects in to compare weight. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. Anyhow, in looking at that I was confused. I'm not very crafty so maybe I'm just not using my imagination, but first of all the margarine tubs I have don't have handles? How would you make handles on the tubs in order to be able to do this? Secondly, if they are on a hanger, how do you keep them in place? I mean if one of them slides towards the corner then it's going to throw the balancing off, right? What I am saying is that wouldn't the tubs have to be pretty close to the exact same distance from the center for it to weigh correctly? It looks like they would slide easily. I know I am over thinking this, but we don't own a balance scale (which it also suggest) so I was hoping I could get this working. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know where one could get balance scale for cheap?

Under the place value section, they have a mat with hundreds, tens, and ones. I understand how to use the mat and all, but what did you do to represent hundreds? I understand making the counters out of the wooden sticks and beans, but when you move on to 3 digit place value and math, what did you use to explain this concept. There's no way to make that many counter sticks. We have some unifix cubes, but only 100 of them, plus they seem kinda big to do that with.

Also, in looking at the math it says to begin memorizing math facts once your child has gotten comfortable with hands on math. I was wondering at what point this was for most of you? Of course, I understand it will vary child to child, but I was just curious how some of you approached this. Are the fact families part of memorizing the facts? In other words, should we use the fact families to memorize our facts or should we just go in the order suggested in the manual and do flash cards? Do your kids memorize the facts in order and the fact families?
I would not bother making a homemade balance. Yes, the way margarine tubs and lids are made has changed. They used to have handles on them -- kinda like the tubs of ice cream used to.
For the amount of work and supplies on it... yes, it can be done, yes it can be fun. But you work part time so, sometimes it is just worth it to buy a tool.
Do you have a teacher supply store near you to pick up a balance? Or maybe order from Rainbow Resource Center? I tell ya, I did fine all of those years without one but was so glad to buy one a few months ago. why didn't I do it sooner? I was cheap. Yes, you're right.... you have "calibrate" any balance including the homemade ones.

to represent 100, what if you have a picture of 10 dimes, or a picture of 100 pennies to use? put the pennies in 10 rows of 10? or just blank 10 x 10 rows. here is a link
http://donnayoung.org/f11/math-f/chart/6blk.pdf

You might not deal with it in 1st grade all that much to have lots of adding of groups of 100's. Some plastic math blocks do come in 100 blocks. That's an option as well. Until then, print the sheet from donna young's site onto cardstock (even in color cardstock, or lightly color it in yourself)

Math facts memory...
I would begin that when you reach the part in the yellow sheets where addition/subtraction is the main focus of topics for about 4 weeks.
You can do math memory facts in a variety of ways. In Singapore math, which mfw suggests in 2nd grade, facts are done in "number bonds" which is just another way of saying fact families. Some children (mine!) need to do just addition first.

a couple of suggestions based on me teaching my children.. your mileage may vary.... when teaching memory of facts, give the answer several times in a row as part of saying it out loud together before you ask the child to fill in the blank (either paper or out loud). dont' let them guess because some children will remember the wrong guess. If they struggle, show the answer and have them just say the correct answer.

tangomoon

Re: Questions about 1st grade math

Unread post by tangomoon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:10 pm

For the place value question about hundreds, if a bean (sticker, dot, etc.) is 1 and the stick is 10, then maybe you could do bundles of 10 sticks rubber banded together?

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:16 pm

For homemade manipulatives, you can search the net for more ideas that match the materials you have on hand. I just did a quick search and saw string used for the "handle," and the buckets were anything that matched on both sides -- fruit baskets, applesauce cups, etc. I also saw the string tied to each side of a plastic hanger, as well as the metal hanger idea.
Also check this thread: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10879

For the bean sticks, a 100 example might be nice, but you really don't use one very often. Place value is really taught in those single and double digit numbers, and then transferring to larger digits is just doing the same thing. But I agree that you can bundle. Or, you could take a sturdy square of cardboard and glue on all 100! When you buy the plastic sets, the 100s are called "flats" and they are just flat squares, 10x10 (the 1000 is a 3-dimensional cube).

For math facts, I think you just start early and keep on going. Each child will master them at different times. Here are some great ideas for math facts materials that worked with different MFW kids:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1141
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8429

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:04 pm

We made do many times last year and I finally broke down and bought some basic manipulatives at Rainbow Resource. They had, for the most part, better prices than some suppliers. I did buy a balance scale...I bought a platform scale, but it arrived broken. However - I called them and they sent me another one - no questions asked. I also bought some base 10 blocks...which were really a luxury because so many things can be used in their place, but they had a very affordable set.

Overall - most manipulatives can easily be made at home - we use real money - or play money we picked up at the $1 store. - we made our own place value discs...we count beans, paperclips, and we kept old dice from games that lost too many pieces, etc.; but the balance scale is something I'm glad I broke down and bought.

Another great math tool I started using with my daughter is dominoes. I found an old set in the gameroom no one ever uses and found some cute printable ideas by searching 'domino math'. These have been a great teaching tool as well.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

What is in the math book?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 pm

kewkew34 wrote: I am curious as to what is in the math book. Looking at the subjects included doesn't really help because she has basic knowledge in most of them already. Is there any way to see details of what is included in the math book?
The core of 1st math is still the hand-on activities in the MFW materials, as that is still the way 1st graders learn best. But the workbook is a fun addition because it includes both games/activities AND worksheet types of pages.

My grandson has only done the first section on patterns so far. It has seemed easy for him but there has been enough variety that he has wanted to do it all the activity ideas include using stickers, wrapping paper, cookies, pasta, nuts-n-bolts, and more. Plus there are pattern cards for unifix and patten blocks. The worksheet pages have included cut-n-paste, and various continue-the-patterns with colorful pictures, ending with a pattern using numerals. The last page is a grid to make your own name pattern.

It is a very creative book, not your typical workbook of black-n-white numerals. The activities are completely connected to real world interactions with numbers, but still introduce the "workbook vocabulary" of what I call "understanding what they want you to do."

Does that help?

Posted Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:27 pm by Julie in MN
As for the math book, I tried to describe the first section that my grandson has worked through here [above].

I don't think the MFW-1st math book is essential, but my personal opinion is that *some* kind of hands-on math is essential through age 7 and I'd even prefer (at least occasionally) through age 9. I have mathy kids and that is something I see as one of the reasons. Online games are fun but I'm not sure they qualify as hands-on in my brain.

As for how many to order, there are definitely consumable pages in the math workbook, not just games and templates. However, it would be somewhat possible for 2 kids of different ages to share, with the younger one doing the easier pages and the older doing the harder pages, within any given topic. There are plenty of pages on each topic. It just depends on how much your kids like to do, and especially how much the younger wants pages just like big sis.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Miriam

MFW 1st and Active Children and CB Math

Unread post by Miriam » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

HSMom03 wrote:Hoping to hear from those of you who have used MFW 1st Grade... How suitable is it for wiggly ones? The math looks great but I am curious about the Complete Book of Math. It has 300+ pages, correct? Does the child complete all of these? My ds6 detests worksheets so I was wondering if Math-U-See or RightStart Math might be better for him. Or maybe some of you have an active little boy who also detests worksheets and the math worked great for him. When I showed him MFW 1st in the catalog he was excited about it, but asked me not to get the math book because he doesn't "like those big math books", lol. I think he was traumatized this year by another math curriculum - which has way too many worksheets for K! I've tried to be very careful about this. We're only completing half of it this year, it is very advanced anyway. There's so much I love about what I see in MFW 1st Grade so I'd rather not piece together and then lose those elements. It would be very helpful to hear from other MFW families on these things. Thank you for your thoughts!!
I also have a 'wiggly' boy. For math we do everything hands on. He loves using manipulatives. My understanding is that you don't have to use the CBoM, but that at this age hands on math is more important. My son enjoys some of the math worksheets, but most he does not like. He does not enjoy writing, so I adjust to program to him. I would rather him write a little everyday well, than write a lot sloppily. I sometimes split things up for him if there is a lot in one day. Sometimes I give him the option of finishing something now or finishing it later. He knows now that he actually does in fact have to do it later (at first he hoped I would forget). This is a curriculum that you can really adapt to fit your child. Even if you start with lots of hands on math activities at first and add in 1 or 2 worksheets a week, he will learn lots.

TriciaMR

Re: MFW 1st and Active Children and CB Math

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 pm

I see the CBOM as optional. We hardly did 1/3 of it with my twin boys. Most of the math is hands on activities, which they loved, and they preferred my little made-up worksheets and games than stuff from the CBOM.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

1st Grade: Complete Book of Math reviews?

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Sue G in PA wrote:My rising 1st grader is a very bright child (I know, we all say that, don't we? ;) ). But truly, he is. He learns quickly and is a very hands-on kind of kid. But honestly, it has been an overwhelming year and this child is the youngest of 7. Poor thing has gotten lost in the shuffle. Good thing he is bright.

Anyway, I am considering using the Complete Book of Math with him just b/c it is scheduled in the curriculum. Any reviews? Like it? Hate it? Could go either way, lol? I am also considering CLE Math.
I loved the Complete Book of Math. Used it for both of my girls. I love that there are ideas in the book for hands-on activities to do. The book is targeted for K-2nd grade, so the skills are arranged in such a way that the sheets start easy and get more challenging within each skill section. The worksheets are just right for 1st grade...just the right amount of work. It is a nice blend of hands-on and worksheets. I really like this book, along with the math children's lit. and hands-on activities recommended in the MFW 1st TM. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

kw4blessings

Re: 1st Grade: Complete Book of Math reviews?

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Loved it! We used it last year with my oldest in 1st and I plan to purchase it again with my 2nd for this coming year. It is very comprehensive and as pp said, a good spread of difficulty levels. I actually am still using it this year for my oldest, and plan to use it this summer to keep her math skills sharp. It's a big book. Very complete! ;)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:45 pm

I used it 2 years ago with my now 3rd grader - we loved it - she completed every page in the year and did very well. She has an incredible grasp of math right now - but did not love Singapore - although she did fine with it. She had seen Horizon's at the book fair and asked to use it - she liked the layout. It's a little more fast paced - but she's moving through it with no difficulty at all.

She just seems to do so well with math so I'm really glad we did follow MFW's plan for K, 1st, & 2nd. In fact, I get concerned that I might not have made the best choice in moving to Horizon's this year since she did so well with K from MFW, Comp book of Math for 1st, and completed Singapore 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, at the end of 1st grade and then the rest in 2nd grade. She seems to have almost no difficulty at all with math, which is very nice since my oldest homeschooled child, who is 13, has always pulled his hair out with math a bit. I wish I had homeschooled him from the start as I think it would have made a difference in the way he views math - though he is improving. (He was public schooled until 3rd grade.) Hope that helps.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

mshanson3121

Unread post by mshanson3121 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm

We are using it and my son loves it! I love that it gives hands on suggestions as well.