Reading - Should I go back, repeat, review?

Learning God's Story
tiffany

Re: Done MFW 1st and can't read

Unread post by tiffany » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Postby tiffany » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:36 pm
I only read the original post, so forgive if I'm repeating information. I really like Explode the Code for review work. Also, I enjoy Happy Phonics as a games approach to learning to read or cement concepts. I have used MFW 1st grade for 2 of my kids so far, and they both needed to move more slowly through the materials. It was 1 1/2-2 years for them instead of one year. I would pick out some fun review materials and check out the reading practice suggestions in your manuals, plus, find some fun easy books that they can read. Whatever you do- don't worry about it! :-)
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

jasntas

1st Phonics Questions - Follow-up

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:28 am

Postby jasntas » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:45 pm
Just wanted to check in and say that my dd is doing much better with her phonics.

I did as David suggested in the link Julie provided. We do a lesson one day. Then have a review the following day. We are also playing the reading games and, to my amazement, my dd is enjoying them much more than I anticipated.

We also used the lauri letters as Crystal suggested. Now, while reading the words in the workbook, my dd will cover up and uncover the silent e and say the word accordingly. Such as cub/cube. She will do this as quickly as she can over and over and she thinks it's funny.

Also, both my dc have rediscovered the 'Between the Lions' PBS program. I have attempted in the past to get them to watch this but I think, due to my ds' reading struggles and dd's age, neither was quite ready for this show before but they have not missed an episode in the past two weeks. It took a bit of coaxing to get them to watch it the first time but it has now become their new favorite. They both already love 'Martha Speaks' and 'Word Girl' but these shows are more about vocabulary rather than early reading and phonics. (I'm not a big fan of 'Word Girl' because she lies to her parents and everyone else because no one knows she is a super hero.)

Oh, and she has started playing Starfall again. She really likes that as well.

For one of the games mentioned in the TM, I put together a generic game board and glued it to the center of a manila folder. I use a counting bear as a marker instead of a car (since we already had them and she likes bears better than cars anyway). She didn't like moving one space at a time so I have her roll a die. She then draws the number of cards rolled on the die and says them. Then she moves that number of spaces on the board. I think I may also add a clip art picture of a honey pot to the end because when my dd was playing yesterday she said the bear was going to win when he made it to the (imaginary) 'honey pot'. :) I printed the game board from this site after reading another thread where Crystal listed the link for the triangular math flash cards.:
http://donnayoung.org/homeschooling/gam ... boards.htm

In addition, I started having her read an easy reader daily. She really likes that. Maybe it's just applying what she is learning that she likes.

On our review days, I am also having her re-write the words she wrote for dictation from the day before and we use those as her game cards. I was cutting index cards into fourths and having her write on those but she wanted me to draw the guide lines. I then discovered that there was a sheet of cards with the guide lines already printed in the workbook pages to be used on Day 27, I think. I have been copying that page onto card stock and letting her cut those out and use them as her game cards. (I hope it’s ok to copy that page since it’s for the use of the phonics games). She likes that we are using her cards for the games and she is discovering why it’s important for her to write as neatly as she can. Sometimes it was hard for her to distinguish between her n and h, for instance.

We are only doing the phonics, math and Bible from 1st. All the science, art, etc. are all from ECC for both of them. I am doing the Proverbs from 1st for both my dc. My dd especially liked the honeycomb example and will now remind others (particularly her brother) when they are speaking ‘garbage’ or unkind/ugly words.
gratitude wrote:It sounds like she is very used to reading words that have the short vowel sounds in the middle, such as many of the words in K. It also sounds like she is just struggling with getting out of the habit of always using short vowel sounds when reading a word. She just needs to develop a new habit of saying both short vowel sounds and long vowel sounds when reading a word.
I think Carin hit the nail on the head. I think it's mainly just a matter of getting into a new habit. Now she tends to say the long vowel sound first then the short sound. She's still learning the why behind it but we're getting there.
gratitude wrote:It is funny my ds7 had a fit over that lesson and tears too. Not for the same reason, but tears. Is it due to the increased work load at that point? His fit was over the fact I wanted him to cross out all the e's on the page and put straight faces over the vowels (He was 6 at the time). The first letter of his name starts with an e for Elliot, and he was in absolute tears for an hour over the idea of crossing out the first letter of his name. He honestly is very even emotionally normally, but not that day. Now at day 70 he is reading everything in sight. Hang in there. She will get it, and if she really needs a break from reading sometimes a week or two off from it can do wonders for the brain to process the information and the emotions to catch up and be ready to go again.
This is such a cute story. My dd would have been the same way if her name would have been Emily or something.

I do think part of the problem was also the increased work load. Slowing it down and giving her the opportunity to let it all sink in has really helped. At the beginning of the year she was just buzzing through the review stuff. Then I went and introduced something new. What was I thinking. ;) It seems to be starting to click with her now. We are on day 26 (I think) and she had no problem with the ay words. She is also having less and less trouble with the silent e words.

I seem to be getting into the groove a little better now and pretty much have figured out what my dc can handle and what is too much. Thank you so much to everyone who posted a reply to my call for help. I didn’t mean for this post to go so long. Sorry. :~ :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

jasntas

Re: 1st Phonics Questions - Follow-up

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:47 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that we are also doing the Art With Children and the Peter and the Wolf activities from 1st. The Art with Children books only take about 10 minutes and we do it on our light day. The Peter and the Wolf CD we listen to in the car sometimes when traveling to P.E. or Tae Kwon Do so those two extra activities are not really taking up too much extra time. (We have 2 hours a week of travel time.)

If I have a DVD or CD from the library or Netflix for our current study in ECC or whatever I think would be of interest, my dc watch or listen to those during drive time as well. I have found that I like to use drive time in a more productive way for them than their just playing their Nintendo DS or watching another movie they have watched over and over. They have gotten to where they actually look forward to the variety of things they listen to and watch during drive time.

Currently we have been listening to Miss Piggle Wiggle on CD. I wasn't even sure if they would like these stories but they are enjoying them tremendously. Thanks chatmom

As I mentioned previously, I think am finding my niche. Finally!! (ECC joke) I think it is just taking longer than I anticipated. So many kinks. I just hope the beginning of next year goes more smoothly.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

RachelT

Re: 1st Phonics Questions - Follow-up

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:35 pm

It sounds like things are looking up for all of you! We also love to listen to Adventures in Odyssey cd's from Focus on the Family when we are in the car. We also liked Peter and the Wold and the Come Look with Me art books from 1st grade. I am glad you can still add in some of those good activities. It seems that you are finding a balance and that's what it's all about!

I will have to look at the triangular math facts cards. I have used some planning printables from the donna young website, what a great resource!

The card game for phonics sounds fun, too!

Way to go! Keep it up!
:-)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

cbollin

Ideas please!!!

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:40 am

samandsawyersmom wrote:Hi!
I am not really sure what I should do. . . . My son is Kindergarden age but is in first grade and is doing fine. He doesn't get excited about doing school but he does it fine. . . well everything but the reading. He can do it but he is wiggling the whole time & every time he makes a mistake on a word he throws his head back and is very frustrated! To be honest so am I as I know he can do it if he would just take his time and not guess at the words!!

I guess my question is...Since he has the time with his age should I review Kindergarden and the begining of 1st? (we r on day 68) Or do you think we just take it slow and hopefully it will click? I just keep thinking he is doing fine, he will get it. but on the other hand. . . we have the time. UGH!! I just dont know what to do! Is it normal for them to fight a bit in 1st on the reading? :~

Thanks for any help, advise, ideas I can review & try to make a better informed decision for my ds!! You all are so great an such great help!! :-)
~Stacey
Stacey,

before giving my opinion, and ideas... I would like you to go back and re-read something you posted several months ago........
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 818#p72818
but I think you already know what to do. :)

now with that out of the way.. (in other words, I liked what you said out loud in March. it applies now to you.)

I would set down almost all of MFW 1st grade until at least January. Let the information settle in his brain.

For "school"

Bible: do some review of all Proverbs. Focus on Psalm 100 during Thanksgiving. And enjoy December as an "advent" season doing seasonal stuff. Like you said, enjoy the time they are 5. do service projects as a family - it could be taking crafts to seniors in your church. and letting him Read a story to them.

Language Arts:
read out loud to him from any books you would like.
Let him read to you from stuff "below" his level to gain fluency.
play the reading games from the back of the 1st grade manual.
play reading games from the first grade manual
(yes, I said that twice)
if you have deluxe package: use the Come Look with Me books.
writing: making Thanksgiving placemats, grocery lists, etc. write thank you cards.

Math: do the games from 1st grade manual. no workbooks, just games for a while.

Science: nature walks, fun stuff. you can repeat everything in the program at this age and they will enjoy it. have him change the design of an experiment and test it.

Music.

In January, start back slowly with the manual in phonics, etc.

It's November? how did that happen?

-crystal

DS4home

Re: Ideas please!!!

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:09 am

I really like Crystal's ideas for you. My other thought was to really slow down the pace, and maybe back up and redu some of it. Take 2 weeks to get through 1 week of material in the TM. Only do the scheduled stuff every other day and fill in the opposite days with the reading games, art, .... You have the time, so I would encourage you to take the time! :)

Editing to add that I don't think you would need to go all the way back to Kindy. I was just thinking back up some of the first grade material. You could repeat some of the workbook pages on a white board (Mom writes the words in black marker, child uses colored markers to mark the words.) So even though those workbook pages are done, the lessons can be done again.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:21 am

samandsawyersmom wrote:Since he has the time with his age should I review Kindergarden and the begining of 1st? (we r on day 68) Or do you think we just take it slow and hopefully it will click?
Hi Stacey,
Just adding to your thoughts and the others, that slowing down is a great opportunity. So there are different ways to slow down & that's where we're brainstorming.

Does he read short vowel words easily, and has he been reading them easily for some months? I really like the method MFW uses of making the first part of reading solid before going ahead through the more complicated parts of reading. Personally, I'd go back to some of K if he needs more time on that short vowel word base.

But if that is down solid and has been down for some time now, then I'd use 1st grade and use some of David Hazells advice, keeping in mind that your student is one of the young ones, so you'll do more of the slow down types of recommendations: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3313

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

samandsawyersmom

Unread post by samandsawyersmom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:37 am

Oh Crystal!!!

You just know me so well!!! ;) LOL!! I sometimes just need that little kick in the pants to follow my own advise!!! UGH!! You are right, I do know what to do! I Just need to do what feels right so he is enjoying school!! He loves lapbooks so I am going to do review, all of your sugestions and maybe have fun with lapbooks! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :-)

Thank you to the rest of you too!! Love the ideas and encouragement! Just needed to have what I was thinking confirmed! I need to learn to trust in myself and that I know what is best for my kiddo! Just seems to easy??? KWIM? Anyway, thanks so much to everyone!! :)
Wife to my wonderful husband 8yrs
Mom to 2 wonderful sons 6yrs and 4yrs
2012 pre-school and MFW 1st
2011 K

cbollin

Is it time to slow down/review?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:We just finished day 26 of 1st. I'm starting to feel like my son is starting to be overwhelmed. I do admit we haven't been playing many of the phonics games. Honestly, I have 5 kids who are 6 and under and I just haven't made the time because until now, he's been doing just fine. He is very hard to keep focused and it takes us a LOT of time just to do the workbook page. (In 2 sittings, one "spelling" and the other the phonics) Plus, of course, we have the other stuff to get in also, math and science at the very least. (We aren't getting the music and have only gotten to the art a few times. I want to do all of that too.)

And, all the sudden, in the last couple of "days", he is having trouble with words and blending sounds I know he has already mastered, even asking me what sound a letter makes. It just seems like everything is just getting jumbled in his mind. I know it doesn't stop, but I feel like there should be a review day here and there. Even though I know it's not there, I keep waiting for the review day to magically appear. LOL.

I was thinking of just parking here for the rest of the week and reviewing what we have learned this week. However, when I started reading the archive, I'm a now a little on the fence. I read several times that they don't have to master one thing before moving onto the next. And that it will just click. So, now, I'm not so sure we need to take the week to review. Maybe I just need to make the time for the phonics games instead. I'm sure a week of review couldn't hurt, but at the same time, we are going at such a good pace right now, which can be a struggle for us with so many littles. I hate to slow us down if we don't need to. But, if he needs it, then we need to stop and review. Any thoughts?
I would treat Every Exploration Day as a day to review. there are no "blue phonics workbook pages that day".... so, it's a good time to play the games and go back over the last 5 lessons.

When I have read "when they hit plateau" thread, I'm not sure it was intended to say never review or never slow down... ((hugs))

if needed... do the blue workbook pages on a dry erase board so your student can be standing up... it might take you a few minutes to write it on the board...
Mom2theteam wrote:Thanks Crystal! I didn't really think it meant never, just wasn't sure if it's time to do that or not.

Using exploration day is actually exactly what I've been thinking of doing and have done some. (That is when we played the few phonics games we've done.) I was thinking we would take this week to review and then start using the exploration days as formal review days. We don't do a lot of the science experiments anyway. &) We tend to use it as a make-up type day anyway. And, my kids spend so much time outside exploring, we don't do it formally on that day either.

We also have been using the white board more and more. Today, we used it almost exclusively to read the last couple of lines of words. All the words on the page together seem to make it more difficult for him. Also, he likes to draw all over everything (coloring in o's and drawing the word or connecting the numbers of the lines). It drives me mad, but, that isn't the point. ;) The point is, it makes the page even harder to read and focus on. (He does it when I get up to check on siblings or whatever. He does it when I am looking too, but I'm not really watching if that makes sense.) This way, he can draw on the white board (if I let him) and then we can erase it. :-) And, he loves to erase the word after he reads it. After today's lesson, I was thinking I would lean toward doing this more often, especially when he is struggling to focus.
one idea on the worksheet with too many words... Some children need to block out all of the other lines on a page with blank paper. won't work for everyone.. it's just an idea. Some people still need that in upper years and there are fancy colored plastic things to block text and all of that.. and I have one who would rather doodle than listen.
Last edited by cbollin on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie in MN

Re: Is it time to slow down/review?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:So, now, I'm not so sure we need to take the week to review. Maybe I just need to make the time for the phonics games instead.
You know, I wonder if those are one in the same thing? Maybe the phonics games *are* the built-in review that you're looking for? So then maybe doing the phonics games isn't "stopping" but is simply doing some of the things that are scheduled?

I haven't done 1st yet, so just a thought.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:10 pm

I agree with you Julie.... the games are built in review.. but because a reminder to do them doesn't get listed every day it is really easy to push it aside and forget to do them in the afternoon when you have a minute or two here and there...

it could just be that's it is Monday kinda of day in school too :)

I should shut up and do something else... I think I'll delete my answers..

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Yes, I totally agree that the games are built in review. The manual says that if they are grasping the concept well, you can skip them, that they are optional. I haven't forgotten them, just haven't made them a priority because our time is so limited. Until the last couple of days, he has been doing very well without them.

I think that was where I was wrong. I should have been reviewing anyway. So, I'm going to be doing that much more often. I just printed off a free printable game board to play the "phonics race" game or whatever it's called. Of course, I found one with frogs on it instead of cars and we have some little frog figures that I'm going to find and have him use as markers. You know how he LOVES animals. Plus, he has 2 pet frogs and a pet toad. So, he'll love it. :-)

I'm going to include my 4 year old by making a separate stack of just letters for them to "read" rather than words. I hope it goes well with all of them playing. Wish me patience!! LOL!

And yes, we are having a Monday, but this started toward the end of last week. ;)

ETA - Just thought I would share that we played our review game and he read the words very easily. I guess he doesn't need to take a week off. Silly mom. 8[]
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

We camped out and reviewed today. I was afraid that Gail was getting a little overwhelmed with all of the /oo/ sounds and then of course we have our hick accents which don't help. ;) (I had another post about that!)

So today we finished our /oo/ folder, but didn't try to use it to sort the /oo/ words yet, and I wrote a list of words to read on a big white board. She could erase them after reading each. She loves this! I wrote 32 words, using all the rules she has learned so far (oops except for long vowel sounds in words like "cold," forgot about that). I was really impressed with her reading, especially since she got the /oo/ words right, but glad that we did this today instead of the next page of the workbook, which introduces /ar/. I thought her eyes might glaze and she'd swoon from another sound introduced so quickly. As she said once before when I first showed her that some vowels say their long sound without silent e, "Why did they make this language so tricky?" And also, "I am beginning to believe that it is just about impossible to actually learn to read everything, but it must be true that a person can because I've seen you and Daddy do it!"

I think review is fine and good once in a while. And it can be reassuring, too! Sounds like you were reassured, so it was worth something, right? :)
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Yodergoat wrote: I wrote a list of words to read on a big white board. She could erase them after reading each. She loves this!
I have done this exact thing. He loves it too. What is it about a white board that makes kids giddy? LOL! We reviewed everything except the cold type words also. I didn't have those in my stack of cards that I'd already made. I probably should have, but I figured we would review those tomorrow. And, we will. We will also go ahead with the next day which starts /oo/ sounds. Yes, I was reassured that he is picking it up even if he is being difficult. I'm thinking he just needs more variety and review and he'll stay more interested. He gets like this when something is difficult even if he gets it. I'm thinking that may be the problem and why he is acting like this. He doesn't do it during math or science. He is good at math and enjoys it. Although, if something in math is hard, he will act like this too. I have found teaching our children is as much about growing us as it is about teaching them! I will continue to work on me as I teach him. ;)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Zack, 10 CtG

ivparker

Unread post by ivparker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:06 pm

So I've done 1st two times already and don't even remember a phonics game. Ugh. I really should be doing that as my 1st grader who will be in 2nd grade next year hasn't even finished the 1st grade stuff yet because it just got too difficult for him. I stopped and bought Explode the Code online and he is doing better but still struggling.

I think I don't remember about the game because when my oldest was in 1st he breezed through it, so I probably skipped it (I also had 5 kids 6 and under at the time-my oldest is 8 now). And since I was just doing the phonics portions of 1st, I didn't read it all carefully. I'm going to have to go look for it now.

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

If my oldest was "breezing through," I guarantee you I wouldn't be looking at the phonics games. ;) Life is different with 5 kids 6 and under. I don't meet many people who have experienced it even if they have a lot of children. I'm 31 wks pregnant too. Ha, ha! (My oldest will be a couple weeks from being 7 when the baby comes.) We really don't have time for any extras because of all the littles running around. I'm sure you understand that. But, it's become apparent that this is something he needs. It's not extra anymore. So....I'll find a way to fit it in. :~ This is probably our baby. I'm a little sad about it, but I do admit there is definitely part of me that can't wait till they are all over about 3.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Zack, 10 CtG

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:34 am

Hi - I just wanted to chime in here with some hugs - my younger two are girls, 10 1/2 months apart (the youngest came 4 weeks early, not that 11 months is any easier) and their personalities are extreme, a firecracker and whatever is the opposite of a firecracker. The past three years have been cRaZy!! :-) I think this is our first year of actually doing a set school routine and not running around like a chicken with it's head missing. Heehee. Now that they are 4 and 3 things can be easier, although sometimes I feel like I have Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Dr. Seuess!! Side note, my dh was looking for a pen the other day and I told him to "look high." ;) Anyways. I am working through 1st with my 6 yo and while we are only on Day 13, her eyes started to glaze yesterday on day 12. Too much reading?? I don't know. And we haven't done much of the experiments either, I didn't have the book and it has been really nice outside so they have been playing. Hang in there! It is hard with a mixture of young ages. My mom has 11 children, she was telling me that at one time she had 8 preschoolers!!! Yikes!! :)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:41 am

ivparker wrote:So I've done 1st two times already and don't even remember a phonics game. Ugh. I really should be doing that as my 1st grader who will be in 2nd grade next year hasn't even finished the 1st grade stuff yet because it just got too difficult for him. I stopped and bought Explode the Code online and he is doing better but still struggling. I think I don't remember about the game because when my oldest was in 1st he breezed through it, so I probably skipped it (I also had 5 kids 6 and under at the time-my oldest is 8 now). ANd since I was just doing hte phonics portions of 1st, I didn't read it all carefully. I'm going to have to go look for it now.
It is very easy to not remember to look in the appendix for game ideas. I had to make a chart for myself to remember to do the little things that get one mention in the manual. But right before the "math literature books list" is a simple list of phonics games. some more active than others. designed to be do at home without having to buy lots of bells and whistles...

very easy to to forget that list of close to 20 ideas is in the manual. they are optional for children who are not struggling.. and like I said, without a reminder, it's easy to over look that page in the manual.

((hugs)))

just saying... I look forward to a revision of this program..... . they mentioned about 6 months ago it was about 2 years out from that but no time table on release is set... praying....

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:57 am

Mom2theteam wrote:We just finished day 26 of 1st. I'm starting to feel like my son is starting to be overwhelmed. I do admit we haven't been playing many of the phonics games. Honestly, I have 5 kids who are 6 and under and I just haven't made the time because until now, he's been doing just fine. He is very hard to keep focused and it takes us a LOT of time just to do the workbook page. (In 2 sittings, one "spelling" and the other the phonics)
This is what I purposely have done with my boys for MFW1 the first time, and now the second. 6 - 7 year old boys, at least mine and many I taught, are still needing to move more than sit. Two sittings is great because it allows for the teaching, gives them time to move, and gives them a much higher chance of being focused during the lesson. My oldest (when I had 4 ages 6 and under) used to take from 9 - 3 to do MFW1. We would do 10 minutes at a time throughout the day. It was just easier with so many little ones. My second son has been able to do MFW1 over a couple of hours, but that is only because he has the example of big brother working. Does this make sense? I wouldn't worry about breaking it up with so many young kids at all. After 10 minutes (spelling test) someone will need you. It is easier once you have more than one child working, and they do it together.

If it helps any I have never been able to fit in the games with younger kids either. I have two who have learned to read with MFW1; so it can work with or without the games. Hmm... I haven't been to a place where they were stuck. If they were I would review. The beauty of home schooling is to get from point A to point B with a solid foundation at whatever speed we can do in our situation; younger siblings do change the situation I think (at least from my experience doing MFW1 with an oldest of 4!). If you think he needs review I would do it. Some kids learn better with reviews built in to solidify the material. My oldest is that way in math. My second is a little that way in the blue student note book for MFW1. The most important thing is to teach him in a way that will help him learn the material. When I used to teach other peoples children one thing I always did (piano is one on one) is when something didn't work I would try 10 other ways until it did work. It is the highest advantage of tutoring; being able to tailor the instruction to the child so they get the material before needing to move on. In a class room the teacher has to move on weather the student understands or not. In tutoring situations we can wait to move on when they are ready. Later in the book he may move faster (mine did at the end of MFW1). If you think he needs review though, I would give it a try. I am having to add in review to Singapore constantly for my oldest for subtraction and not for addition and multiplication. So for subtraction we do lots and lots of review. The other thing to remember in home schooling is be patient with yourself. It takes time to learn how to do this and K and 1st, and even 2nd grade with our oldest is a definite learning curve.

Blessings & Prayers,
Carin