Combining 1st and an OLDER program

Learning God's Story
warriormom

Unread post by warriormom » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:43 pm

We are currently finishing up both - 2 weeks left! I didn't want my first grader to miss out on the Bible notebook and reader so I have had him do both. It is a good review for my 2nd grader to hear his brother memorize the same verses he learned last year ("I remember that one!"), and the memory verses in Adv are very short and even at that spread out over two weeks instead of one.

I do the Adv Bible portion in the morning after breakfast when we review our verses, and then when we go upstairs to do the rest of our work we read the Bible story or reader as the case may be - seems to have worked well for us!
Melanie

HSmommi2mine

1st and ECC

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:16 pm
My first grader joined us in ECC this past year. I just didn't require as much from her. She did a lot of the fun stuff and sat in on readings when she wanted. She enjoyed the Window on the World and prayer times a lot, coloring flags, cooking and projects. Most of the reading from "A trip Around the World" are pretty short and she liked those as well.

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:58 pm by HSmommi2mine
Just let him play the game, do the projects and sit in on any reading he wants to participate in. You may decide to cut down on some of the first grade activities but there will be plenty of activities they can all participate in.

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:28 pm by HSmommi2mine
One thing that has helped me a lot is that I photo copied the weekly grid for my 11 yo. He has it in the front of his weekly binder. He is responsible for doing all of the advanced readings on his own and if I am having a bad day with the younger ones he can do all of the reading and assignments on his own. It isn't what I like to do but it does happen sometimes and that is fine.

My goal for the under 5th grade crowd is just to get them interested in history and having fun, so I am not worried if they miss a day, or a week, here and there.

Lucy

1st and ECC - leave out the science and crafts?

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 pm

mommyintraining wrote:So, what part of MFW 1st would you leave out if doing ECC also? Should I just focus on the Bible and phonics and leave out the science and crafts?
Hi Terri,

Since most of the science in first grade is not integrated with the rest of the program you can have your first grader join ECC science. The Complete Book of Animals would be interesting to him as well I think.

You will decide on which crafts to keep and which ones to pass on. The Bible is integrated with Language arts and does not take lots of time so yes you would keep all of those parts of the program.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

SandKsmama

RTR and 1st Grade

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue May 12, 2009 7:46 pm

courthart246 wrote:Next fall I am planning on doing RTR and 1st grade. I was wondering if it would be wise to do the RTR science with my 1st grader and skip the 1st grade science? My soon-to-be 1st grader loves science, but will the RTR be way over his head? I would love to be able to do some combining of subjects next year.
We did that sort of. My 1st grader was really into science, so he joined in on all the RTR science stuff and LOVED it, and we also added in the 1st grade science activities as we had time,etc. It wasn't a problem at all - the 1st science is very easy and mostly quick stuff.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Julie in MN

Need scheduling advice - ECC and 1st

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:33 pm

randjj1 wrote:My 3 kids have been in public school for the last 3 years (we homeschooled the oldest for K using MFW). We are homeschooling this year - 1st and ECC (3rd and 4th grade). I would really appreciate advice on scheduling.
I tried to use the Hazell's example schedule in the ECC teacher's manual as a framework, but still have some logistical questions. For example, the Hazell's list a subject (ex. Math) - do I have all my children do math at the same time? If so, do I teach them individually and just rotate between them? Or, do they do it on their own and just ask if they need help? How would other subjects, such as English and Spelling, work?

Really, I guess I'm asking - would anyone be willing to share examples/ suggestions of how you go about teaching children who are different levels/ curriculums in Math and English/ as well as teaching 1st grade? I know this is what homeschoolers do :) (and many with more children/ levels than mine), I'm just not quite sure how teach each of them throughout the day. Thanks for any suggestions/ advice,
Julie
I don't have direct experience, but I've read with interest many threads about successfully navigating with the large family. Try reading through these while you wait for those busy moms to chime in...

Combining grades:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6727 (Combining ECC and younger child learning to read)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2713 [above]

Sample schedules:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3807
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

RachelT

Re: Need scheduling advice - ECC and 1st

Unread post by RachelT » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi Julie! I am looking over the threads, too. I will be teaching ECC and 1st this year also! This will be our 4th year of homeschooling and using MFW curriculum. It has been a huge blessing! I do not even have my ECC ordered, yet, but I have been looking at the sample pages and thinking. I have found that in my family it is important to work with each child individually on their reading/phonics, spelling, English or language art. However, even though they are at different levels of math, it has worked pretty well to have them both work on math while I am there to answer questions or help. I am just beginning to feel like I might be able to have my older child do his math more on his own, even while I'm working with my other child, but I'm not sure.

One of the great things about MFW is that you can do so many things together! In Adventures this past year we really did everything together for all the subjects except reading/phonics, spelling, English, and math. So that is helpful! I am sure that if you call the office they will also be happy to help. I probably haven't called them enough and have spent time stewing over things when I shouldn't have.

Welcome back to homeschooling AND MFW!!
Rachel :-)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:39 am

I'm probably repeated was was said in the linked threads.

What has worked with me depended a bit on the year. I'm just not great at typing it out to make sense

when I did ECC and K this past year...
*start with youngest first. (we did 3 short 15 minute bursts with Kindy kid throughout the day but we'd start with her)
*work together in ECC on "together stuff"
*quick break for everyone
*work with middle child on math/language arts. Oldest, in theory, would do some independent stuff or play with youngest.
*then middle kid was mostly done and could watch youngest and that's when we'd all do another 15 minutes from Kindy program
*oldest, who didn't really want to, but had to, would do her language arts/math/other independent stuff and I was available as needed.
*read alouds were in the evening for us

that was 7th grade, 4th grade and Kindy

When I did RTR and 1st grade, or EX1850, then 1850MOD
it was:
*work for a few minutes with middle child on math
*take youngest to her special needs preschools
*work together in the unit studies
*finish with middle, while oldest did independent stuff
*done with middle, work with oldest. middle could finish things on her own (basket, art, etc.)
*go get preschooler
*work with oldest to finish after lunch. and finish whatever else that day.

this year... CTG and first. I feel overwhelmed with the thought of that while moving out of state. I'm praying for God to just show me what I need to do. wow. I remember praying that one time and 5 minutes later he put MFW in my path for the first time. wow.

-crystal

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:02 am

I do not have any advice on scheduling MFW since we have not started using it (will be doing ECC and K this coming year), but I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I wanted to comment on Crystal's post about how every year looks different scheduling wise. I have found that to be so true in our homeschooling years. The first year we started with my oldest in K and my middle child a preschooler, my third child was due in July. I was very worried about having a newborn and starting homeschooling at about the same time. I prayed and prayed about it because I knew God was leading me to homeschool and I knew that He would work it out, and He did. My third ending up being the best baby. He ate and slept perfectly. He was a very easy baby. Maybe too easy (laid back). He did not start walking until he was 18 months and did not start really "talking" until he was close to 3 even though he was saying words, but not a lot. Then when he started crawling/walking and getting into everything, I really worried how we would homeschool, but again it just worked out even though that year looked very differently scheduling-wise than the others. As my children have grown and changed through all their stages our scheduling has changed, but God has always been faithful to see us through and lead, guide and direct us in our day. Even one day might look different than the one before.
So when Crystal wrote
cbollin wrote:I'm praying for God to just show me what I need to do.
that really reminded me of how God has always seen us through each year. I believe in the book of James it says that if any of us lack wisdom, let us ask of God and He will be generous in giving it. I have found that to be true in my life, including with homeshool scheduling from year to year.

All this is fresh on my mind since I have been wondering how this coming year will work out for us scheduling-wise and since I just met with another mother who has 4 young children (oldest is first grade) and who is/has been considering homeschooling. God led me to encourage her in the fact that He can and will work it all out, including scheduling. One of her questions/concerns was how she could homeschool with 4 and with 3 of the 4 being preschool and under. I told her that God has always been faithful to work it out for us and for others I know. He Who calls us is faithful to do it. That is what I hold on to - that God called us to this and He will work it out and see it accomplished.

So while this does not answer the original post question, I had this on my mind and felt like I needed to post it. I hope this is helpful in some way.

Amy C.

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:54 am

I'm trying to remember... we did ECC and 1st last year (2007-2008). Ds did the # of the day while breakfast was getting ready. I had the sheets in a folder and he pulled it out himself. Then we all did the ECC Bible/ Window on the World together. When the girls were doing their science notebooking, I would help ds with the Letter/phonics portion of the day. And then we would do his bible time/reader/notebooking while the girls did geography stuff.

He would then take a break while I got the girls going on Math. Once they were set-up, ds would do his math. Then another break for him. He had to work on his Proverb in short spurts over two days. Any unfinished notebooking and any projects/science was usually done after lunch or in the evening after dinner. It may have just been him, but I found it was easier for him to concentrate after it was dark outside and going out and playing wasn't so much of a distraction (especially in the Fall when it's dark earlier).

ECC read aloud (which we loved) was also done in the evening with hubby right before bedtime. Book basket was always available and they did that on their own when we weren't "doing school" (since Book Basket never felt schoolish :)

Am I forgetting something?? I might have to pull out the TMs and see what else there was... Oh, language arts stuff for the girls was fit in as other things were finished... when someone finished math, they would grab Spelling Power and we would do spelling while I was sitting with ds or while he was on a break. Same with writing and grammar.

The biggest thing for us was using the white board to list everything for the week so the girls could work on things as independently as possible. I make a grid with subjects using an overhead projector marker (wet erase) so they use a dry erase marker to check things off as they go along. Then at the end of the week I erase the board and the grid stays put and I don't have to re-write it every time.

Hope this makes sense... if not ask me and I'll try to clarify. Overall, ECC and first fits nicely together. Ds participated where he could into ECC and our girls enjoyed a lot of the activities from 1st--especially the story of Esther and the Hamantaschen cookies. It was hilarious :)
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

microcarter

Attempt both sciences?

Unread post by microcarter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Ariasarias wrote:I'm doing both 1st snd CTG this year with a 4 yo tagging along and a newborn.
Should I even attempt to do both sciences or just stick with CTG?
Thanks for your wisdom!!
Nicole :)
Last year I did ECC and 1st. I started out attempting to do both but wound up dropping the 1st grade science pretty quickly even though my ds really liked it. Time management is perhaps not my best talent so this seemed like one thing we could drop to help manage our days better. My 1st grader liked science and almost always sat in on the ECC science even before I dropped the 1st grade science. I did not make him do any science work although he helped with the experiments and answered questions verbally. When tested at the end of the year he scored at a 7th grade GE (Grade Equivalency) in science by simply sitting in on the ECC science. For us, I think we made the right decision to combine as much as possible.

Think of your childs interests, your time management skills (or lack thereof), what you really want to accomplish with the science, will your 1st grader sit and listen to the CTG science or will he/she be too distracting to the older child? You can always read the science books that come with the first grade curriculum in the evening, over summer break or as something fun on weekends.
Angie

dh of 22 years Danny
dd Sage 11
ds Knox 7
ds Kase 4

TurnOurHearts

Re: Attempt both sciences?

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:14 pm

When we did ECC & 1st we also dropped the 1st science. My daughter was doing all the notebooking, etc., along with my son, so she got a full year ~ just not her prescribed lessons. I kinda figure she did them as a four year old when her brother was in 1st. ;)

baileymom

1st and RTR question

Unread post by baileymom » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:23 am

TriciaMR wrote:1. Timeline - we've already got our CTG timeline up. Should I bother with the 1st grade one? Both of my boys are probably going to want one each unless I have a plan before dealing with it.

2. When the TM suggests "reading aloud" to the 1st grader's 15 minutes a day - well, should I just use whatever read aloud we're using for RTR at that time? They loved the read alouds from CTG (I usually read to them at lunch). I also read to them every night (they choose books from the library, or pick one from our stash) at bedtime.

3. I have one son that has trouble copying text if it is not on the same page he is writing on. I have StartWrite software - do you think it would be okay if I made our own Proverbs copy pages so that he can copy from right above?
1. Timeline - I would continue your CtG, using RtR...and maybe put the 1st grade Timeline in their bedroom

2. Read Aloud - my 1st grader listened in on all RtR's Read Alouds except Pilgrim's Progress (he really liked Bronze Bow and A Door in the Wall and some of AC's World), but we also read a lot of 1st grade-ish Story Books

3. I think doing your own Proverbs is fine, but my 1st grader really liked the pages that MFW provided and was excited to see them again in ADV
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Julie in MN

Re: 1st and RTR question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:35 pm

TriciaMR wrote:3. I have one son that has trouble copying text if it is not on the same page he is writing on. I have StartWrite software - do you think it would be okay if I made our own Proverbs copy pages so that he can copy from right above?
Trish,
The 1st grade copywork is in such a nice huge font that fills up the page, and you'd have to shrink it down in order to create space for copying on the same page.

However, I've done that sort of thing for my son's Bible copywork over the years. I think tools like StarWrite can be a great resource for some kids. You can slowly, over the years, change to smaller print or to cursive or to whatever your child needs to work on. You can also decorate with images, if your child likes that.

The biggest problem for me was the extra time, but I tried to set things up during the summer. Usually setting up the first one and getting things to turn out they way I wanted was the biggest task, and then the rest was all copy-paste. Bible verses can be copied from BibleGateway.com , if you didn't know that already.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:42 pm

TriciaMR wrote:1. Timeline - we've already got our CTG timeline up. Should I bother with the 1st grade one? Both of my boys are probably going to want one each unless I have a plan before dealing with it.
I like Kathi's idea of it being in another place for them. or underneath the CTG one. I was doing CTG and 1st this year and for a while it was special for my youngest to have her own picture wall like that.
2. When the TM suggests "reading aloud" to the 1st grader's 15 minutes a day - well, should I just use whatever read aloud we're using for RTR at that time? They loved the read alouds from CTG (I usually read to them at lunch). I also read to them every night (they choose books from the library, or pick one from our stash) at bedtime.

that can work. you're doing read aloud that they want to hear, and you have favorites at bedtime.
3. I have one son that has trouble copying text if it is not on the same page he is writing on.
you can do what needs to be done to help your child.;)

If you know the reason behind that trouble and have ways to help make progress on it, that might be just as important to work on. you know me, I overthink things.((hug))

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I just need to have a plan before I get there, or I'll get blindsided and get grumpy...

Not sure about the one's issue with copying. Oldest was similar when she was this age - very hard for her to copy from a different page. He also reads similarly and has similar issues to oldest in that area, too. Basically, this last year whenever the assignment was to copy something, even if the page was on the desk with his page, he would get upset and there would be lots of tears. So, I used StartWrite to make them "trace a line" then "copy the line" and he did fine with it, or least there were less tears. We've been using HWT 1st grade over the summer, and he's really been having fun with it. But, his fine motor skills are weak unless he goes really slow.

Oldest is right-handed, right-brained... boy is left-handed, left-brained (but he throws, bats, and bowls right-handed). So, I'm not sure if it is a wiring glitch, or maturity issue, or... Oh, and here is the really crazy thing, my left-handed boy can cut with scissors better than the right-handed boy... It's like someone threw all the issues into a blender without the lid and then they randomly landed on each kid...

Okay, thanks ladies, I have a plan formulating in my brain.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Combining 1st and Creation to Greeks?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Staceyliza wrote:I have 3 kiddos. A 9yo, 6yo and 2yo. Up until now the 6yo has just sat in with her older brother and done her own math and phonics. I'd really like to do at least the phonics and Bible out of 1st with her this year and let her join in with everything else in CtoG. Is the Bible from 1st and CtoG too much to do with BOTH kids everyday. I'd love more ideas on how to combine this. I'd love to do everything from 1st for my 6yo but my 2yo keeps things interesting when it comes to getting school done! You never know what's going to happen! Thanks!
I sorta kinda did CTG and 1st together this past year. I had to modify 1st grade for my youngest due to her special needs (autism).

Things that made it work together.
*b/c the pace of the programs is a bit different, we'd do something in CTG and then get to review it a few weeks later again in 1st at the 1st graders pace, and the older gals helped out. youngest got to watch older sisters make their notebook, so it was helpful to her when making a little bit of her own.
*it was definitely "easy" on me to have 2 sets of memory verses. since learning the names of OT books is part of CTG, it helped us in 1st grade pace with that part as well (in 1st you don't "have" to memorize them all, you introduce the names and what it is about)

since I wasn't adding tons of things to CTG as written, I had the time/energy to juggle both. 1st grade isn't intended to take tons of hours each day. We tried to include the first grader in fun stuff in CTG when interest and time permitted.

-crystal

tabby

Combining 1st grade & Creation to Greeks

Unread post by tabby » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:25 pm

AmyL wrote:I have a first grader and 4th grader this year. In looking ahead I see some of the same material covered in both the 1st grade and CtoG programs but at different times of the year. For example, Timeline (both beginning with Adam and Eve) starts on day 1 in CtoG but on day 38 in 1st grade; mapping Bible lands is day 11 in CtoG but on day 32 in 1st grade, etc.

Can I put the 1st grader on the same schedule as CtoG in terms of Bible? Has anyone else tried this? Thanks for any suggestions or advice. ~ Amy
I have the same exact situation as you. I am doing the bible time together. I am not too concerned about the 1st grader hearing/doing some of the same material again later in the year. It will be sort of a review and may make it a little easier. I am only doing one timeline for both. Just my thoughts as we finish week 4 for both programs.
Tabatha :)
2011-2012: RTR - dd 10, ds 7
Enjoying our 6th year with MFW

rebeccal2002

Combining 1st and Older Program - What is Realistic?

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:14 pm

MelissaM wrote:Hi Everyone,

Convention is just 2 weeks away! I'm hoping to get my 1st grade package, and maybe CtG as well. I'll have a 5th grader and a 1st grader. And a toddler (2 in August) who really, really, really wants to do EVERYTHING the big kids are doing, but is still in the "I eat crayons and books" stage. He keeps us hopping. :)

I'm trying to decide if I should get the deluxe package for the 1st grader. I want to - my kids love those "Come Look with Me" books, I know they would get looked at a lot, even if we didn't follow the schedule. I think the same would go with the pattern blocks - my kids would play with these a ton, even if they don't do it on the right day. ;) I'm on the fence about DwC. I'd really LIKE to do it with him - for the very reasons that he might not love it; but then, I don't think realistically we'd be able to keep up with the Global Art book - which both kids also really like.

The music for ECC is pretty low-key. It's no effort at all to play the cd a couple times a week; both kids know all the words to all the songs at this point, I think. What is the music like in 1st?

I guess what I'm asking is....I want to do it all! And I can't. And I'm wondering, if you had a 1st grader and a 5th grader doing ECC/CtG....which parts of each would you do? Or would you just do the complete 1st grade program only with the younger and the complete older program only with the older? (And if that's the case, I'll take any advice on keeping the younger from wanting to be with the older and vice versa - my Ker cried this year everytime dd did a student sheet - until I got him his own set. My 4th grader is constantly wanting to do the art/science in the K program.)

Sorry this is so long - I don't know how to not ramble!
Thanks for any advice,
Melissa
We're doing ECC and 1st right now. It's going very well! I do the 1st grade program with my 7 y.o. while my two older girls take turns on the computer doing math and watching the younger two (a 3 yo and a 2 yo). It takes us about 1 hr to do everything. I only bought the basic package because I have Horizons Math if I want some worksheets and we have the pattern blocks and "look" art books already. I did buy separately the Drawing with Children and the Peter and Wolf/coloring book to supplement and so I pretty much have the deluxe package, although I did it a la carte! :) I am going thru all the Drawing with Children lessons with the three older kids (11, 9, and 7) because it is just such a good program and they all are benefiting from it.

Anyway, I was trying to just have a my 1st grader tag along in ECC and do just reading and math separately with him, but it is working out so much better with him having his OWN curriculum and then he joins us for ECC when he's up to it. He does a lot of lego building, coloring, and playing quietly too.

BTW, I try to have all the school done by noon and we do our ECC art projects after lunch when my 3 yo is taking a nap, its just so much simpler than trying to help her do an art project with the bigger kids. And I made a little construction paper passport for her and she stamps hers with our ink stamps when the other kids get the stickers out of the sticker book. In hindsight, I should have gotten her her own passport and sticker book. She (the 3 yo) really likes to scribble on the maps too when the other kids are labeling countries. So I print a map if she's interested in that. I also made her her own geography notebook so she could be like the "big kids." There's not much in it of any saving value, but she's happy to be included.

Hope this helps some!
Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

jasntas

Teaching 1st and 5th using ECC - or 1st & 4th

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:28 am

dcjlewis4 wrote:We're just beginning MFW and starting with ECC. Has anyone taught 1st and 5th grades together using ECC? Any suggestions? Thank you!
Not 1st and 5th but 1st and 4th. I just had my 1st grader do what she could at her level which was mostly just listen in. She did her own 1st grade stuff.

She did participate in the science and art type projects. We did a lot out of the Big Book of Animals. They both enjoyed this book. If you didn't want to purchase 2 of these books you could ask the questions verbally and have your dc take turns answering them. We ended up doing this for the most part even though we had two books but that was mostly due to writing issues around here with both my dc. If there are any coloring or activity pages you think they would enjoy you could probably copy that page. (I'm not sure of the copyright laws on that so you'd have to check in the book.)

I started a blog a couple of months ago and documented our last few units if you would like to take a look at many of the things we did do together in ECC. The link is in my signature line below.
dcjlewis4 wrote:Some really great ideas on the blog...Looks like the kids had a lot of fun. The extra posts on the board were very helpful, looks like many teach a large grade span successfully. I really want to teach to the heart this year and help them to enjoy learning again. I really feel like MFW will be great! Looking forward to a new start. Blessings!
"Teach to the heart". I love that! That is definitely how I would describe our year with ECC. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

TriciaMR

a schedule for using 1st and ctg together (RTR)

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Happyhousewife wrote:I am looking through all of my materials for the next school year. How did you schedule things if you are using 2 different curriculums? I just cant figure out how to work it.
I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you!
We did RTR and 1st together last year. This is what I did:

Started with RTR Bible, History and Science. My 1st graders joined in on science.
Then my oldest did Math Drill, copywork (if assigned), AWANA, handwriting, book basket time, reading, Foreign Language, etc. Basically independent work. While she was working on that, I did Reading and Math (each independently) with my boys.
Usually that took us 'til lunch. During lunch I would do read alouds from RTR.
Then after lunch we did Math and Art/Music with my oldest (and anything else we didn't finish).

We were often not done until 3 or 3:30. But, it's not my goal to finish by noon all the time.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

2 Bible times or 1?

Unread post by gratitude » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 am

MOMS wrote:For those of you who are/have used more than one curriculum at once~do you do the Bible time together & do all kids memory verses together or have them do different Bible times with separate verses?
I do all of them at the same time. We sit on the couch and do Awana verses for dd5, ds6, and ds8. Then we do memory verses for MFW1 and ADV. Then we do Bible readings from MFW1, if there is one. Lastly, I do Bible from ADV. The younger ones don't always make it through the ADV Bible, but they do make it through the rest of it.
MOMS wrote:That sounds doable for this house.....Does everyone memorize the same verse or verses or do they stick with their own???
They have to do their own, but they also usually also end up memorizing each others verses since they are in the same room. I am really glad they are all in the same room for it; they often will recite together.

Poohbee

Re: 2 Bible times or 1?

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:04 pm

My 2 dds are doing CTG and 1st this year. We start the day with prayer and our memory verses. Each girl is responsible for her own verse--the CTG verse for my 5th grader and the Proverb from 1st for my 1st grader. However, as my eldest was learning the 10 Commandments for CTG earlier this year, my 1st grader ended up learning those, too. :-) So, after prayer, each dd works on and recites her memory verse. Then, we do the CTG Bible lesson together. After that, my eldest goes off to work on independent work, and I do 1st grade Bible/reading with my 1st grader. So, we do both Bible times, but only the CTG one together.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

gratitude

New to MFW - Need some scheduling advice

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:53 am

Dyan wrote:We are planning on using ECC next fall with my rising 5th grader and twin 3rd graders. I will also use MFW 1st grade with my rising 1st grader. I will also have a very bright (but challenging due to issues related to Asperger's - i.e., talking/interrupting during read-alouds, only wants to do the activities he is interested in, etc.) 4 year old son, and a very active son who will be 2 (and who climbs out of everything and has a very short attention span). I love the way everything is laid out for me in ECC, but I am wondering how to most efficiently combine it with the 1st grade, plus have preschool time with my 4 year old and 2 year old. I am looking for specific ideas for scheduling the two curriculums plus preschool time. I also want to get an idea of how much time both programs will take if combined. Right now, school time often drags on until dinner with all of the interruptions and poor planning on my part. I have read and re-read Managers of their Homes, and I have made many schedules, and just never really implemented them. It seems like every day things come up that get us off track!

If someone who has done both ECC and MFW first grade could give me a sample schedule with times for each subject kind of like the one Marie Hazell put in the front of the ECC TM, I would so appreciate it! That will show me what an appropriate amount of time for each subject (for each grade) would look like on a combined schedule.

Thank you so much!
Dyan
I have not done ECC, but right now I am doing ADV and MFW1 and MFWK (just added K).

The thing that has helped me the most in home schooling is to set hours that we will do curriculum, and then leave the rest of the time for unstructured learning and outdoor planning. My hours were off and on between 9 and 3. This was hard on both myself and my children. My current hours are 8 to 12 or 9 to 1 if we start later, with a snack & break in the middle.

The most interesting part about shortening the hours is that it made us more efficient and more effective and able to do as much as we were doing in less time. Well, it made me more motivated and effective which transferred to them. So we are having a lot more time for afternoon out door play and unstructured learning, and it is wonderful.

As for the work itself. I also have a 3 year old with Down Syndrome. She does best if I do her first. I am reading P3/4 from Sonlight right now with her, and it is wonderful for her and our relationship. She really does a lot better during school time, and being able to play on her own if she is first.

Then the other 3 I start at the table together. If it isn't working I send two off to play together and do one by itself. I usually can do all 3 though at the same time. I bring subjects out that my oldest can do independently when the younger ones need help, and work for them they can do more independently when the older needs help. My younger two also draw a lot between doing their work. Sometimes History or Bible lands in the middle, but it is usually more at the end on the couch.

The MFW1 takes my son around 60 minutes a day total; not usually all at once. I just re-started MFWK, and it is adding some. ADV with all of his math and LA takes him around 2 hours a day. So a block of 4 hours allows for snack breaks and all 3 of them to finish; along with the pre-schooler. It also allows for the run outside for 10 minute moments since they are so young.

I hope something I said was helpful. Welcome! :-)

TriciaMR

Re: New to MFW - Need some scheduling advice

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 am

Back when I did ECC I had twin 4 year olds. What worked for us was to do Bible, geography and science first. My boys could join in if they wanted. Then my oldest had independent work, and I would spend about an hour with my boys. Then I would finish up math and English and reading with my dd. we sometimes waited to do math during nap/quiet time, as she really needed quiet to do math.

I understand about letting the day get away from you without a schedule or routine. In the past I have used MOTH-type schedules, but I now find going with a routine (basically an order for the school time) works well for us. I do use a timer for some subjects to keep us going, but don't use it for Bible, history, science or math. I am also using an app called Errands on my iPod touch to help me keep track of what needs to get done. I find that this works better for me.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Dyan

Re: New to MFW - Need some scheduling advice

Unread post by Dyan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:05 pm

gratitude wrote:The thing that has helped me the most in home schooling is to set hours that we will do curriculum, and then leave the rest of the time for unstructured learning and outdoor planning. My hours were off and on between 9 and 3. This was hard on both myself and my children. My current hours are 8 to 12 or 9 to 1 if we start later, with a snack & break in the middle.

The most interesting part about shortening the hours is that it made us more efficient and more effective and able to do as much as we were doing in less time. Well, it made me more motivated and effective which transferred to them. So we are having a lot more time for afternoon out door play and unstructured learning, and it is wonderful.

As for the work itself. I also have a 3 year old with Down Syndrome. She does best if I do her first. I am reading P3/4 from Sonlight right now with her, and it is wonderful for her and our relationship. She really does a lot better during school time, and being able to play on her own if she is first.
Postby Dyan » Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 pm
These are some great ideas. You are right, sticking with a definite start and end time is going to make a big difference for us all. I know it is best to start with the littler ones so that they listen better, and get their time in with me guaranteed. ;)
TriciaMR wrote: In the past I have used MOTH-type schedules, but I now find going with a routine (basically an order for the school time) works well for us. I do use a timer for some subjects to keep us going, but don't use it for Bible, history, science or math. I am also using an app called Errands on my iPod touch to help me keep track of what needs to get done. I find that this works better for me.
Thank you, Trish! I know! It seems like a routine will work best for us as well. I like the idea of using a timer anyway for certain subjects to keep us moving!

Thank you so much for responding!
Dyan
Dyan, wife to Steve (2001) step-mom of dd (18) graduated public hs, homeschooling dd (10) 5th grade, dd (8) and dd (8) 3rd grade, dd (6) 1st grade, ds (4) with Asperger's, chasing ds (2), and one more little one due January 2013. ECC/MFW 1st 2012-2013.