Reading - I cannot believe this! My reluctant reader just read!

Learning God's Story
TammyB

Reading - I cannot believe this! My reluctant reader just r

Unread post by TammyB » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:15 pm

My son, my very reluctant-reader son, just read the entire three pages of the story of Noah from the first grade Bible reader!

This is the son whose meltdowns with the phonics instructions in MFW first caused me to put MFW away in November, and we haven't used it since.

Today I was reexamining his progress and had pulled out the Bible reader to take another look at it. He saw it on my bed, picked it up, and asked, "Is this my Bible reader? Cool!" He then opened it to Noah and laboriously sounded out each and every word. It was hard work, but he wanted to do it, and he was absolutely THRILLED with his accomplishment!

He told me, "I am going to take this Bible reader to the birthday party on Saturday and read it to everybody!" He also said, "I am going to read this to people who aren't Christians!"

We have been STUCK in simple readers (like early Bob books), and I have been wondering when we were ever going to move on.

I am rejoicing!
Tammy

LoveBaby

Unread post by LoveBaby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Yay!! That is so exciting, mama!

My DD is thriving with MFW 1st. She too, is a very reluctant, struggling reader and the gentle approach has given her a boost of confidence. She can't wait to get to her Bible reader in the program and asks, often, when we'll be there.
Jesse, homeschoolin' helpmeet just trying to do the Lords will! Starting MFW 1st and CtG 9/12!

TammyB

Unread post by TammyB » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:49 pm

I think my son is one of those boys who truly fits the "better late than early" mode. If I had to do it all over again, I would have held off on starting MFW first with him until after he turned seven (in about two weeks). He would have been far better off to delay the teaching of reading until he displayed a genuine interest.

Chandler is incredibly bright, inquisitive, and creative.....yet he has been uninterested in formal schooling. Writing to him is painful and the process of learning to read has been completely unenjoyable. I would have been far better off to explore his interests with him (Bible, history and science, and lots and lots of good fiction) and leave off phonics instruction. At least I think I would have been! It has been hard knowing just what to do! He is not a child who fits in a box, so to speak, and I often feel like I am trying to figure him out.

Blessings,
Tammy

momakhomeschool

Unread post by momakhomeschool » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:49 am

Tammy,
My dd is doing better than I would have ever thought. I remember looking at the online samples and thinking "she will never be able to read that much this year". When we started 1st, she was still struggling to sound out CVC words. She would sound out the word c-a-t in one sentence and then sound it out all over again in the very next sentence.

She truly loves her Bible reader and is very proud of herself for reading it. I am so glad we switched to this curriculum. We are on lesson 102 tomorrow, so we don't have much more before we finish. I can't wait until next year to do Adventures.

Ya know, my dd doesn't exactly fit in "the box" either. That is exactly why homeschooling is good for her. This way she isn't forced to fit in the box. She is developing at her own pace without any anxiety b/c the other kids are ahead of her like it would be in public school.

Karen

angelsoup

Unread post by angelsoup » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:05 am

That is so awesome! I love MFW and the focus on missions. Your son has picked up on that in 1st grade. I will pray for all the hearts he will touch as he shares the good news through his new found reading skills. Our KING is mighty!
Debra
Mom to William (13) and Joshua (11)
MFW Adventures '06-'07
ECC '07-'08
Back to the Basics '08-'09
CtoG '09-'10

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:01 am

Tammy-
How wonderful for you to hear those words from your son. I, too, have a son who started v-e-r-y slow and has continued to surprise me with his incredible "jumps" in skills after periods of wondering if I was doing this right. I feel the Lord brought me on a particular journey to show me His plan for homeschooling with this particular son in mind.

Congratulations to both you and your son!
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:13 pm

momakhomeschool---Your post brought back memories.
momakhomeschool wrote:She would sound out the word c-a-t in one sentence and then sound it out all over again in the very next sentence.
This was commonplace with our oldest daughter. My husband and I still talk about the worst day she had. She was reading a story about a frog, and the word pad (for lilypad) was in there SEVERAL times. She sounded it out EVERY time. We just wanted to say, "Pad, Pad---the word is Pad P-A-D says pad." But we just listened. She is in third grade now and is a great reader. It just takes time.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

momakhomeschool

MJP- response to post @ reading

Unread post by momakhomeschool » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:28 pm

Melissa,
I loved your response @ your dd sounding out the same word over and over. It really hit a funny nerve with me and cracked me up b/c I know exactly how you felt. Makes you want to put the word in flashing neon lights!! I am so glad my dd has moved past that stage. Now if her speed will just improve. I have always disliked being read to- even by good readers. I am not an auditory learning type and being read to naturally drives me bonkers, especially when it takes FOREVER!! Don't get me wrong, I love to listen to dd b/c I am so proud of how far she has come. But, somedays when I am really in a hurry, even she drives me bonkers!

Karen (who is still chuckling over your post)

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:18 pm

And rejoice you should, Tammy. I really believe that it is often a matter of maturity, that phonics will "come along" when the child is developmentally ready for it. Congrats to your ds on his focused efforts.
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

asheslawson

SO EXCITED...she's reading so much better!!

Unread post by asheslawson » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm

My dd has completed MFW K & is we are on day 116 of MFW 1st. Reading seemed to be so sluggish for her - she was reading, but slowly and with so much frustration. However - her math skills are fantastic, so we patiently trudged along deciding she just was more of a math kid, while her brothers picked up on reading much quicker. Finally, however, she started asking what all the words in the world hanging literally everywhere said...you know, signs in the grocery store, words on boxes of foods, bill-boards on the side of the road, scrolling banners on the front of churches, schools, on the front of our t-shirt, etc...there are words EVERYWHERE and until now she was just happy guessing, or not worried about them at all. Recently however she began saying, "What does that say?", to every sign we passed, and we'd just simply respond that if she wanted to know she should read it. Well - guess what - she did!!! Though she was stumbling through her bible reader and workbook all year, she suddenly had an interest and she read the signs fairly easily. Now it has transferred to her reader...she's reading much more smoothly, much more quickly, and without all of the pleading with me to not make her read all those words. It is so wonderful!!! I am so happy about it and glad that I stayed the course with the program MFW had laid out. It just took her a bit longer, but it finally clicked! She is now packing a book or two in a bag every time we go somewhere!! I am so thrilled at that because until now I would have that gnawing worry when I would read about other mom's whose 1st graders were already reading through "Little House on the Prairie" on their own. I kept telling myself stop worrying, all kids aren't the same, but I still had that little inner fear that I wasn't teaching her well enough. But I kept listening to others who reassured that all kids learn differently and finally it has paid off. My eyes tear up because I am so happy at how it's paid off!

If I can say any thing to someone else who may be where we were two years ago...it would just be to be patient and stick with it gently - sometimes you have to slow down and that's ok! (keep in mind, she's an older 1st grader too - so I thought she would read so easily since I waited to start K until 1 month before her 6th birthday in September - so now she's almost finished with 1st grade and will be 8 in September - and she's really bright, vocal, happy etc...I just thought she'd catch on so quick!!) I really had to be patient and wait this out when sometimes I wanted to get cross with her because I thought she was just trying me on purpose (I knew she wasn't, but you know we get frustrated when our children don't do what we think they should)! Just thought I'd share because I am SO happy that this is finally getting easier for her! ;)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

TriciaMR

Re: SO EXCITED...she's reading so much better!!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Yay! Isn't that the greatest feeling?!?! I just noticed this last week that one of my boys is starting to read better. It's gradual and subtle, but he is getting better.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 am

**Happy Dance!** That's awesome - and very encouraging, since I have a 1st grader who has been very slow to catch on to reading - still struggles a lot more than I thought he would be by this point. I keep waiting for that interest to come into play - to start to ask what everything says, etc., but so far he's perfectly content to not know what anything says. He likes books, likes being read to, but dreads reading lessons and having to work out the words himself. Especially if the sun is shining, as he sees that as just wasted time when he could be outside building a fort or something, lol.
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

shaffer96

Unread post by shaffer96 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Thats so wonderful! I love when kids catch on all of a sudden like that! Don't you feel so blessed that you got to see it at home too! My daughter is also a first grader and has really taken off this year too. She struggled in K and I switched porgrams a couple of times and then finally settled on Abeka for 1st. It has been really good for her, but a little overwhelming at times! I do wish I would have used MFW 1st grade! Looks like such a great year and so much fun! I plan to use it with my two boys coming up and I have already ordered Adventures for my daughter for next fall! Congrats to your daughter!

4littlehearts

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:48 pm

That' s awesome! Of my 3 older children, the one who took the longest time to learn how to read, now happens to enjoy reading the most, more so than her older 2 siblings. She loves books!!

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Keep in mind I'm pregnant and exhausted from 5 kids 6 and under (my 2 year olds are running me ragged lately). ;)

I'm literally crying reading your post. Tears are streaming down my face. My son is 6. He started K a little older, a month before he was to turn 6 this past fall. He barely recognized all the letters then. We are at the end of K and he is reading the short vowel words, but not smoothly or fluently. He still says every letter sound and then blends them. He knows all the sounds, but sometimes he still says the sound wrong too. He still isn't interested in reading a book and sometimes it is pulling teeth just to get him to read the short story at the end of each unit. :~ I really thought that because he was an older K'er he would pick it up very quickly. Yesterday, as my son was reading his short story at the end of the unit, I almost cried because he read it better and more smoothly than he ever has before. But, then last night, I had him re-read it to dad because I was so proud of him. He struggled through the whole thing. :~

He is my oldest. You know how doubt creeps in so often with the oldest, wondering if you're doing something wrong. I've gone through moments of being discouraged. Right now, I'm just worried about 1st and the struggle it might be. I almost changed to a different curriculum out of fear of how fast the pace in MFW 1st is and just doubting where he is, almost like blaming the MFW K curriculum. I prayed about it a lot. I realized that MFW was probably the very best curriculum I could have used this year because it went slow and gentle enough that his frustrations were minimal and he was able to learn everything taught. I feel clearly the best thing for him is to stay the course and the best follow-up to what we have done is MFW 1st. I'm so glad God lead us to MFW K and now has lead us to continue on with it. I am trusting that he will pick it up in his own time.

Reading your post was like taking a look into the future. I could really feel your excitement and pride and utter joy. Thank you for the encouragement to keep going and that it will come. Stories like yours are what keep me from being too discouraged, getting too frustrated or pushing him too hard. So, Thank You!

13 days down! Loving 1st and so impressed with my son
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 pm by Mom2theteam
We just finished day 13 of 1st. I am so happy and pleased, but also a bit confused. LOL! We struggled with K, especially toward the end. He complained about doing school. His attitude toward 1st is SO different. I feel like I have no clue what changed. I know the curriculum is different and we aren't doing the same routine or worksheets, but we are still doing phonics and reading and such. We start the exact same way with the calendar and 100 chart. Yet, every single day, he is asking to do school and pushing me. He is still hard to keep focused once we start, but the complaining is gone. (The lack of focus is just his personality.) It is so nice.

The other day he said, "Mom, let's do math. I always like math!" He never said that before!!! Yay! He is actually really good at math. So, when he complained about it in K, it made me sad. (We were doing Singapore, which we stopped toward the end to start MFW 1st math.) He loves the hands on AND the CBOM. Who knew?? MFW knew!! LOL!!

This morning we had an awesome Bible moment. I was reminding him of the verse we had learned 2 verses ago. He hasn't been memorizing them well even though we say them several times a day. He understands them and can sort of repeat it, but he hasn't actually memorized them very well, which I was a bit concerned about. Anyway, this morning, I was reminding him of the verse "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." I couldn't remember the reference and was looking it up when he said, "Mom, it's Proverbs 9:10." When I realized he was correct, my jaw just about hit the floor! I was so utterly impressed. He is learning it! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

Even I am excited each day. I think the change to first has been really good for both of us. Yay!!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Your post encouraged me as well. My daughter is finishing up K and is a very hesitant reader. She wants to learn to read, but seems afraid to really get out there and try and gets easily flustered... "I can't do it, it's too hard." Because of this, she tends to struggle through books even though she can read single words on their own rather well. Or we may be reading a story that has a word repeated in it, and she laboriously sounds it out every single time, even if we just read it. I was a very natural reader at age four, my husband also read before K, and I had just assumed our little girl would be the same way. It has been sort of an internal struggle for me not to push and many times I have felt as Heather described. :~ And she is not just our oldest, she is our ONLY and likely to remain our only... so the pressure to "get this right" feels pretty enormous. She was struggling with even wanting to read something today (she didn't even want to try because she said "my mind is too distracted right now") and it made me feel like a failure. And her daddy was there which made it seem even worse. :~ All day I have had these nagging feelings come over me.... MFWK must have been the wrong choice, how will you ever do First, people are going to compare her to her other homeschooled friends and notice that she is behind them in reading, she is going to get discouraged and hate learning, you are doing a terrible job.... you know the unbidden thoughts that come. (I'm convinced these thoughts are from the enemy because MFW was the RIGHT choice.)

So reading your post was very helpful! I am happily awaiting the day when it really clicks. At this point she just guess at what signs and such say, and I am ready for her to want to know what they really say.

Thanks and congratulations!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:31 am

It really is a blessing!

and MelissaM...she was so content not to know how to read for a while too...and then one day it all changed!!

And yes - for all of you that mentioned about her being home and my being able to see this...I can think of few more wonderful blessings than to have been able to do this with my children. I am so truly blessed to have been so much a part of their education!!
Mom2theteam wrote:He is my oldest. You know how doubt creeps in so often with the oldest, wondering if you're doing something wrong. I've gone through moments of being discouraged.
I was exactly where you were a year ago, except it was my youngest, but otherwise just the same, started K a little older (literally turned 6 less than a month after we started). Also - my older kids were in public school either all the way through (my grown kids) or until 3rd grade (my 11 yr old) so this is the 1st child I actually taught to read. I did pre-school with her and thought that would really help. But - I just had to be patient as she needed to do this in her time.
Yodergoat wrote:All day I have had these nagging feelings come over me.... MFWK must have been the wrong choice, how will you ever do First, people are going to compare her to her other homeschooled friends and notice that she is behind them in reading, she is going to get discouraged and hate learning, you are doing a terrible job.... you know the unbidden thoughts that come. (I'm convinced these thoughts are from the enemy because MFW was the RIGHT choice.)
yodergoat - I had all these same feelings you did. I browsed so many curriculums wondering if it could have been the wrong choice for her - but finally I stuck with MFW - I thought changing might really have just made it tougher - she needed the continuity and I feared a new curriculum would skip concepts she had not learned and totally change styles, which could confuse her.

I won't say 1st was easier - until now - I've been discouraged - but I just did not let her know that. I smiled and said, "I know you can do this honey, we'll just keep trying and it will get easier." Things like that. She'd blow air through the sides of her mouth and groan or even cry that it was just too hard. Finally though - she just wanted to know what everything around her in the world said - and once that happened - now she's struggling SO MUCH LESS! She still fumbles a little - but she reads much more clearly and is able to sound the words out quickly enough that she hasn't forgotten what the first few words in the sentence said (this was frustrating for her because it caused her to be able to hear the story & comprehend what she was reading). So stick with it. Marie Hazell knows what she is doing and I'm glad I didn't throw in the towel!! ;)

[Editor's Note: Follow-up here http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 866#p92868 ]
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Yodergoat

First Grade and the reluctant reader, Day 20... yay!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:46 am

We're really hitting our stride in First and enjoying it so much! I have a really hesitant, reluctant reader. She is so bright but gets nervous and guesses or cringes or even cries during some reading sessions. I have to admit that I have trouble relating because I read at a young 4. The gentle review in First was just what she needed, and I could tell it was building her confidence.

I was nervous about the introduction of new concepts when she was just now getting really really confident with short vowels (confident as in not fearful of them, she still usually sounds each one out). Day 18 was the beginning of long vowels. It went great! Day 19 not so much. But it wasn't because of the reading, it was all attitude and wiggliness and how many times can one person possibly drop a pencil? :| It was particularly frustrating after such a good good day the day before. Sigh.

But, reading is going well, even after the introduction of /ee/ as in sleep and /ee_e/ like freeze. I wrote a little story for her to read today (Exploration Day). It is so hard to write a story (if you can call it that!) using only short vowels and long vowels controlled by the silent e! Plus a few sight words like "so," "of" and "the." It does not have a riveting plot. Except maybe the part about the snake in the feed bags.

Gail Has Pets

"Gail has lots of pets. Gail can feed the pets. The rabbits feed on pellets. The rabbits like green grass. Gail's duck is fun. The duck is black and cute. It can't quack yet. Gail has five pet dogs. The dogs can dig deep holes. The dogs will sleep in the holes in the hot sun. The sun has been so hot! But Gail still feeds the pets. The pets still need it. But a big snake is in the feed bags. Momma can dip the feed. So Gail can still feed the pets."

Have you ever heard such stilted stuff as that? 8| Oh well, she liked it. Beforehand, she asked if I could mark the long vowels like she does in her phonics workbook and I agreed to do so, very lightly. Then she read it. Very, very slowly, but with no tears, no saying she couldn't do it, no hesitation. Except that halfway through she looked at me funny and asked, "Are you trying to hint around that I need to go out and do my chores?" which made me laugh. I was proud of her for reading it so well, but more than that, I was proud that she didn't cringe and cry and guess at the words. She really seemed to feel good about it! :-) And so did I! It made me want to post here about it, to encourage others who might have a similarly reluctant reader.

I can't submit this post without explaining about the snake. There is a big snake in the shed where we keep the feed bags. But I haven't actually seen it in the bags... several days ago Gail found a shed skin on the floor of the shed (about 4 and a half feet long, but non-venomous, which I can tell because of the double row of scales past the anal opening which indicates it is not in the pit viper family, the only type of venomous snakes in our area). When Gail got to the part in the story about the snake being in the feed bags, she looked alarmed and asked if I had actually seen it there. "No," I told her, "but I couldn't think of a way to write that part so that you could read it, since you only know short vowels and long vowels controlled by silent e." That satisfied her, but she still insisted that I scoop the feed this afternoon. ;)

Later, as I was dipping pellets, she lingered just outside the doorway of the shed and said with great drama, "You know I am not truly afraid of snakes, but when I go in that shed and think about how there is a snake in there somewhere hidden and lurking, all of my insides sort of curl up and a voice in my mind cries out, 'Get out, Gail! Go! Leave this shed of snakes!' So I can't bear it and I must leave. You surely understand."

Yes, I understand. Even I don't want to find a surprise snake in a feed bag, and I actually like snakes as long as they aren't eating eggs or chicks. But I will, indeed, dip the feed. ;) Ooooh, I should have used "indeed" in the story.

Anyway, I hope this encourages someone. I had a cringing, nervous and reluctant reader. Now she is gaining confidence and enjoying the thought of being able to read "more and more and even more words." Tonight she was coloring a picture of a bird that had the phrase "I'm so tweet" at the bottom. She asked what they said... I asked her to please read them. She looked at it pensively, then commented, "Ah ha! I see there are two e's next to each other... silent e!" She read it without hesitation, and there were high fives and big smiles all around.

Yay and yay! I am just giddy!

But we'll see how it continues. I almost want to camp out for a while here at this point where she still feels comfortable, but I guess I shouldn't. I just dread the thought of her getting overwhelmed and fearful again. I'm hoping this is a turning point for her... it has been so hard to watch my very bright, talkative and verbiose girl struggle so much with reading.
I'm Shawna...

Poohbee

Re: First Grade and the reluctant reader, Day 20... yay!

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Shawna!

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed your post (and the story you wrote for Gail, too). :-) She's a blessed girl to have a Mama who loves her and cares about her so much and takes time to write special stories just for her.

Sometimes it does take a bit of time for kids to really catch on and hit their stride with reading. My oldest was much like Gail...a very bright, creative girl, but reading was a struggle for her. She was a reluctant reader, did not read fluently or expressively, and would not read for pleasure at all. Reading was work for her. She is a perfectionist, so she got upset when she couldn't do things just right. Like you, I could not relate to her reading struggles. Reading came easy for me, and I have always been an avid reader, since the time I was little. I wanted so desperately for my daughter to read well and to love reading, so it was hard for me when reading was so challenging for her.

But, we did the MFW K and 1st programs, and she learned the skills she needed. In 2nd and 3rd grades, I just kept having her practice her reading with leveled readers and other short books I found that were easy for her. She always read out loud to me so I could help her with fluency and pronunciation. It was all about practice, practice, practice. She always loved when my husband or I read aloud to her, so she was getting that modeling of good reading often, and that helps, too. Finally, in 4th grade, it seemed to click with her, and she just took off. She started reading short chapter books and gradually increased to longer books. Now, she is a very strong reader. She reads with great expression and fluency. She has a great vocabulary. She finds books that interest her and reads on her own for pleasure. This summer, she read a book with with over 500 pages in just a matter of days because she was so into the book.

Don't get discouraged if Gail seems to struggle with reading for a period of time. With some kids, it just takes a bit longer to really click with them, but as you continue to work with Gail and have her keep practicing, it will soon click and she will be reading like crazy in no time!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Yodergoat

Re: First Grade and the reluctant reader, Day 20... yay!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:27 am

Poohbee wrote: Reading was work for her. She is a perfectionist, so she got upset when she couldn't do things just right. Like you, I could not relate to her reading struggles. Reading came easy for me, and I have always been an avid reader, since the time I was little. I wanted so desperately for my daughter to read well and to love reading, so it was hard for me when reading was so challenging for her.
I think this is indeed the issue! She is such a perfectionist, and things usually come very easily to her. And for me, since I've never seen her struggle with anything, and since it wasn't something I had any difficulty with at all, it is hard to relate. People at church, grandparents, relatives, etcetera are always exclaiming, "You are so smart, I bet you just do great in school!" and I have a feeling that inside she's thinking, "Yeah, right, then why can't I read?" :(

It is made so much harder for me because I read well before starting kindergarten. I guess I just assumed that she would be the same way, so much so that I had built up this image in our minds of her being a great reader at a very young age, just like she was a great talker. I wanted so much for her to love reading at a young age. Her hesitancy in this has been a real wake-up call that she is not a little clone of us, she is her own self with her own struggles. That was an important lesson. So much of her struggle really seems to be internal, with confidence and fear of failure, even lack of motivation to even try. Now that I should be able to relate to easily!

We model expressive reading to her very often. Right now we are making our way quickly through the Little House books, just started On the Banks of Plum Creek Thursday and are on page 89. She has an insatiable appetite for listening to good books being read. So does my husband apparently, because as I was reading the first two books aloud to Gail in the evenings he started listening with greater and greater interest. I suddenly realized that he never read or heard these stories as a child. When we got this most recent one, he asked when could we start it and stayed up about an hour later than usual, listening. Last night I read for an hour and a half with both of them listening, rapt. He sighed before going to bed and said, "I have a sense of foreboding about that wheat crop that Pa keeps mentioning..." :~

Anyway, thanks for the responses and encouragement!
I'm Shawna...