Compare - Is MFW 1st really as good as K?

Learning God's Story
niki

Compare - Is MFW 1st really as good as K?

Unread post by niki » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:50 am

SuzanneK wrote:We are working through MFWK (and really enjoying it) and are looking towards the Fall.

I have taken a little time to look at 1st on the website and am a bit worried. It just doesn't look as interesting or fun as K (or the future years) look.

If you have used MFW 1st can you respond as to whether you/your kids enjoyed it? Thank you for your response!
I am happy to say that we so thoroughly enjoyed 1st. The Bible reader was a great joy to my kids. I had one that really enjoyed coloring the pages and another that would only color once in a while (we usually colored during read-a-loud or while I read the Bible story). The use of the Bible is your history for the year and we had many wonderful life lessons as we discussed these stories. Some stories are stories my kids already knew and loved, but it deepened their love for them.

They also began notebooking which I found so helpful and not boring at all. Same as before, I have one that loved drawing and coloring and one child who has no interest at all. But both enjoyed notebooking. We did more than "drawing" -- we used material and construction paper, stickers, anything to make our picture what we wanted it to be. Sometimes they dictated to me, other times they did copy work, but by the end of the year they were writing their own very short summaries of the stories.

I had one child that struggled somewhat through the phonics and another who whizzed right through it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I used it 2 times, and had a good experience with both of my kids, looking forward to using it 3 MORE TIMES! It is not boring, it is FULL and teaching from the greatest Book ever written. :)

I think that was more than my 2 cents! I guess I'm passionate about 1st grade!
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:17 am

You know, I think MFW1 can LOOK boring when you look at the materials. But actually, it is NOT really boring. Instead, it's pretty fun. It DOES have more worksheet type things than K, but that's by necessity. It takes a few worksheets to spell, etc.

The stuff that makes MFW1 more colorful and fun are the activities. Some are in the day to day lessons, and some are the things you do throughout the program, such as the math activities in the TM. If you do the language games, math games, crafty activities, art and science, you'll have a vibrant program that is fun to do.

However, just looking at the book, you don't get a good "feel" of what a typical MFW1 day should be.

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

StarrMama

Unread post by StarrMama » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:03 pm

I agree with the other posts...We will be finished with MFW1 in about 8 weeks or so and have LOVED it. This is our first year with MFW so I have nothing to compare to, but my daughter has grown and learned so many things. It has been a COMPLETE blessing to go through the material with her. I look forward to going through it with my other 3 as they get older.
~Rose
Wife to Desi. Mama to Hope 8 (ECC), Owen 6(K), Emmaline 4 and Levi 2. Happily serving God in the inner-city of Denver,CO.
www.6starrs.blogspot.com

LizCT

Unread post by LizCT » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:48 pm

Hey Suzanne,

We are nearing the end of MFW 1st grade also. We have really enjoyed it. The material is quite rich, in my opinion, and not boring at all. I can see how you would think it might be from looking at it, but once you are using the TM and other materials it is not boring at all. That, at least, has been our experience. I am using it with a now 7 year old dd. She was 6yo when we started.

Liz (also in CT)

annaz

My thoughts exactly

Unread post by annaz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:35 pm

I mulled and mulled this curriculum over for almost 6 months, because, yes...it did look boring. I mean this was a major thought process for me. I figured I was going to buy it anyway just because the phonics is working and I would continue w/the phonics, but I wouldn't do the rest of it.

Let me say I was so, so pleased when I received it. It looked less than pleasing even w/the samples on the web site. The web site didn't do it justice. It is far from boring. The phonics may do one thing one week then make a little change. It moves quicker to keep us all interested. Sometimes there's a fun bible activity, but those may be in addition to the science activities. All the activities are somewhat light, but effective. They are not all cut and paste. They're dress-up, clay, planting, etc. The Science, art and math are all scheduled in, although I don't do the math because I was using something else prior.

So far we really are enjoying it. There is so much more than just the bible aspect, however it is a large portion. The phonics are actually fun and includes alot of games to play. 1st also explains the Bible and what it is and it only does Proverb memory throughout 1st. That I loved!! In my opinion it gets confusing when you start introducing Mark, John, etc. It gives them a great solid foundation without confusion.

I also thought how boring is it to only read Bible stories? Then I thought, holy cow, please don't make me read another Bob book!! The bible reader is so much more interesting and REAL! And if need be you can add other readers on your own...Bob book if you wish (snooze, snooze).

If you enjoyed K, you will enjoy 1st. I was very happily surprised!
Ann

SuzanneK

Unread post by SuzanneK » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:29 am

I wanted to respond again that I had such a great day with my DS's yesterday. We are working through K and are on Water.

In case you haven't done K here is the lesson in a nutshell:
Create a situation where your child is thirsty so he asks for water/a drink.
Explain that his body needs water.
Explain that there is a part inside him that God created called his soul.
Explain that his soul thirsts for Jesus like his body thirsts for water.

WOW! What an awesome lesson; how easy and right at a Kindergartners level - yet so accurate! I can't think of a better way to explain this concept and I don't have to! Marie did all the work for me.
Every time I look at other curriculums this happens... LOL! :-)
I really don't know why I torture myself looking around when I have the best thing right here already.

God bless ~
God bless ~
Suzanne
Happily married to Bob (almost 13 years!)
Mom to DS, 7, and DS 6
Getting ready to start Adventures!

My blog: http://zipperedheart.blogspot.com/

kfrench

Unread post by kfrench » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:53 am

First was a great year. My girls loved having the bible reader, loved listening to bible stories and loved making their own book. My younger daugther wanted to start 1st early so that she could read the bible reader and write in book. Good short lessons and there are games in there to play with new words. We still play those games with spelling words.

Krista
kfrench

NCJessieRN

Re: Moving from K to 1st grade?

Unread post by NCJessieRN » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:06 am

SuwaneeMom wrote:How to you other Moms out there like the 1st grade curriculum compared to Kindergarten? My son and I are really enjoying the K curriculum and I was wondering if you Moms could give me some feed back as to how you like the 1st grade in comparison? Thank you
Monica
wife to Mark (12 years)
mom to Brianna (14) Kaden (5) & Quinn (3)
I am doing K and 1st grade right now. I really enjoy K but I LOVE 1st. To watch my son learn so much bible, reading, proverbs etc. is amazing! He loves it to which makes it easy. The science for 1st is also a lot of fun. I can't wait to do 1st again next yr. with my daughter.
Jessica Noy
Moses 4
Hosanna 1
Shepherd 4/2013

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:04 pm

We loved MFWK, but MFW1 is a year that I (and dd) will remember forever. Going through the Bible and making the timeline was incredible, even my dad cried when he saw it -- he couldn't believe it was possible to give such a young child such a wonderful foundation. Everything ties in so well with 1st - the Bible, reading, writing, art, science, math - it's just the right amount of everything. There's a great routine to your day. I wish I had the chance to go through it again . . . I don't think I'll ever be able to part with the TM or my dd's books from that year.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

homemommy83

Both are great, but another vote for 1st!

Unread post by homemommy83 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:16 pm

I have to admit that I went through K much quicker than intended; so alot of extra science got left out. I wanted to get through it before the new little one was born. I ended up homeschooling another little boy with my son, and decided MFW first was a great choice, and am so glad I did!

We are all loving this program. I love the integrated phonics and bible, and their multisensory math program is good too! Every day I feel like we really accomplished something, and the boys feel like each day is a "Fun Day"! Math is so much more fun, with the hands-on games and best of all it is customizable for their specific abilities. The more I use MFW the more I like it- I can't wait to use Adventures! Next year I am going to use MFW K with my daughter and Adventures with my son. May the Lord lead you into the best decisions. He definitely led me to MFW.
Brenda

cbollin

How does First grade compare to Kindergarten?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Smoakhouse wrote:We are getting close to finishing up MFW Kindergaten program. I am beginning to look toward 1st grade. I'm planning on buying before the end of the month to beat the price increase is the reason, I'm asking so many questions now.

I was wondering how the First grade program compared to the kindergarten program? How are they similar and different? What things did you tweak to fit your kids better?

Also, are the science topics still based on the bible lesson? Do they all fit together in a mini unit study like kindergaten?
Thanks for tips,
Cheri,
The first grade program is not set up the same style of unit themes as Kindy with bible/science/phonics. Instead Bible/History/Language arts are the connecting points. Science and math are separate subjects in 1st.

Usually Science is scheduled 2 days a week - 1 day for readings and activities from the packaged books. Then one day as "exploration day" (more experiments, activities, do it again, nature walks). The topics are not intentionally related to other studies. It might happened once in a while if I recall. But not with the unit theme design in Kindy, nor in ADV with Bible theme. Those topics are the titles listed in the Ideas forum:
Things Outdoors:
Close to the Ground
The seasons
Flowers and seeds
Trees
rain
thunder/lightning
rivers
beaches
under the sea
sun/moon
volcanoes
stars/planets
rainbows
ice/snow
Measuring

Water topics - more details on whatever I wrote on this thread
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3557

Plants/botany

So the science is a general science year, hands on fun stuff. A little bit of reading. ideal for this age.

Bible/Language Arts: Overview from Genesis to Revelation in phonics, composition and art. Memory Work/Character is from Proverbs. I guess the overall theme in Bible in 1st could be characterized as Learning the Word of God, and applying it to our character and everyday lives with wisdom.

It's not the same. But Bible is still central... it just becomes linked to history and language arts. instead of science and phonics. here's hoping that others can help explain the differences even more.... :) but I hope something helped a bit.

-crystal

Smoakhouse

Re: How does First grade compare to Kindergarten?

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks Crystal.
This is helping me get a clearer pictures. I just need to come to grips with the fact that the unit part is bible, history & LA just like my Sophomores. :)

I just really like the unit study approach but I don't see anything out there that I like better. ;)

If you have time, I would love to know the bible lesson titles. =)

Thanks again, you are always a fountain of knowledge.
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:42 pm

There are some nice summaries of 1st on this thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2441

I think you could summarize the Bible topics as a trip through the entire Bible? There's the creation unit, and Bible history from Genesis to Revelation, and the Proverbs lessons/copywork.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Mostly the Bible reader hits the major "stories" in the Bible: Creation, the Fall, the Flood, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, David, Solomon, some of Jesus' parables, Jesus walking on water, calling the disciples, and then a quick look at Revelation. And my boys enjoyed having their own timeline to put their pieces on.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:23 am

tagging on just a tiny bit to the great info Julie and Trish shared....

In 1st grade, Bible is not done in "theme units". It is more of a Chronological History approach. I think of it as overview of ancient history through time of Jesus. Not a lot of focus on "egypt" "greece" or "rome". (that focus comes later in ctg and rtr)

in ADV: back to the unit study feel in Bible and Science.

Trish gave answer on previewing the titles and sequencing. She did not list all of them. and I won't either - I need to not sit a lot today (muscle soreness). after Solomon, some Elijah, Elisha, Jonah, Daniel. NT: birth of Jesus, when Jesus was a boy, baptized. then onto the things Trish mentioned but it's done in order of happenings in gospels.

I wish I could just click and say "oh.. here's the table of contents to the Bible reader..." because that would help you a lot. but hopefully that makes sense.

then with those stories in the reader, there are extra readings/narrations to do in the main manual. There are some activities related (I remember the making of a simple shepherd's bag). So it's not just and only read and narrate and make a summary. There are activities in the manual with it - so it's still hands on learning, but it's really different feel from the units in Kindy, or even in ADV.

-crystal

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:59 am

Julie, Thank you for the information and the link, it was very helpful. I'm always amazed that you ladies can seem to find a perfect previous thread for my questions. I promise I always search before asking questions but rarely seem to find my answers. :)

Crystal, In reading the previous thread (see they just prompt more questions...) you said....
"However, there is a Week at Glance grid included for the Math program in first grade to tie together the informal, hands on math approach with the workbook and extras in deluxe package for math. "
Does this mean that the math is not scheduled in the basic package? I have another math program but loved the "Everyday" type of math that is in First grade and was planning on doing it one day a week and continuing with my previous math program the rest of the week.

Very Grateful to you wonderful ladies.
Cheri in TN
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)

♥nbamaboyz

Unread post by ♥nbamaboyz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 am

Til someone better comes along lol I wanted to help with the math

In the manual (yellow pages) for example
day such&such DO calendar, number of the day, & the 100 chart & also library books the list is in the appendix of the manual that go along with each week such as Sequences ect. (these are in the basic package)

Heres where the deluxe comes in week such&such learn Sequences (changes weekly) here it will list pages from the Math wb & block patterns from deluxe package

Hope this helps!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Smoakhouse wrote:Crystal, In reading the previous thread (see they just prompt more questions...) you said....
"However, there is a Week at Glance grid included for the Math program in first grade to tie together the informal, hands on math approach with the workbook and extras in deluxe package for math. "
Does this mean that the math is not scheduled in the basic package? I have another math program but loved the "Everyday" type of math that is in First grade and was planning on doing it one day a week and continuing with my previous math program the rest of the week.
Cheri,
Hopefully bamaboyz answered it. :) she's spot on!
No it does not mean that math is not scheduled in the basic package.
The manual is part of the basic package and the math program is in the manual.
basically, a complete hands on approach is available in the manual.
The deluxe package makes it "more and extra". those items from deluxe are scheduled in the same part of the manual as the other math activities.

I found the quote you pulled... it was talking about whether or not the entire 1st grade program has a grid or not. It was not about the math content in basic vs. deluxe. That part of the very old conversation was talking only about cosmetic differences between the lay out difference of Kindy 1st edition (3 section where you flip between subject), vs. 1st grade.
For the most part, the 1st grade manual is not set up on "grid" like you will find in ADV - high school.
It is also not set up like Kindy 1st edition-- in "subject sections"

It is set up as "day 1 - all subjects". with one exception.... the math schedule (included on grid for both basic and deluxe) is printed as a grid format.

I'm sorry it was confusing. It was just referring to lay out of daily planning.
-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi Cheri,
It looks like you already have all of your questions answered.

The only thing I thought I would add is that the 'unit study' feel for me in MFW1 is the Bible. The days when the Bible story is read from the Bible, then the student reads the same story from their Bible reader, then the student narrates the Bible story they just read, then they summarize it and copy the summarized sentence into their note book, and then they illustrate the story with a picture they draw, and then they put the time-line piece onto the time-line for the story. This consecutiveness of Bible from Genesis to Revelation to me was absolutely wonderful. Then the LA ties in with the phonics blue student note book on some days by having the work in it having the same topic as the story of that day or that week. The hands on activities tie into the Bible too. Things like making a scroll, Bible costume, Birth Right Soup (the soup Esau sold his birth rite for, and is very good), etc. The History is the Bible; ancient History using only the Bible from Genesis to Revelation.

The science, as Crystal mentioned, is separate. The math is on the yellow pages in the front of the manual and too is separate. The drawing ties in by teaching drawing for the illustrations. Then they encourage you to read to the student for 15 minutes a day. Picture study and music study too. Nature walks too.

I Love MFW1. I hope you do too.
Smoakhouse wrote:Thanks Carin for the further explanation. I think I almost have the full picture. :)

You mentioned the drawing book... "The drawing ties in by teaching drawing for the illustrations." I had not thought of adding it to my basic package, does it actually teach using bible pictures or is it teaching more generic drawing skills?
cbollin wrote:I think what she's saying is that from the skills learned in DWC, your child can use the pictures in the Bible reader as a model from which to draw.?
The DWC teaches the child to draw, and then those drawing skills that they learn help them illustrate their Bible note books. I had never thought though of having the Bible reader as a model from which to draw from. What a great idea Crystal! I am going to use that this time around. My first born learned to draw from the Drawing book, but then didn't have a model to draw from for his Bible note book. So the learning to draw taught him enough drawing to do it; but I think the model would have really helped with his pictures. Thanks for the idea. :-)
Smoakhouse wrote:I like the idea of the "everyday" math subjects. I am thinking of using them 1 day a week and then continue with my current program the rest of the week.
I am thinking that you might be able to use it the way I am using Singapore 1A with MFW1 math. Instead of having him do the book in the deluxe package I have him do 1 or 2 pages of Singapore 4 days a week. Then the rest of his math is the MFW1 math. It would be difficult to do MFW1 math only one day a week since it is based on consecutive day building. Let me try and give a sample day (I have it all on a single sheet in his math book so I can remember each day, but I will see if I can do it without looking :) ). MFW1 math: Write the 'today's number' (the number increases by 1 each day) on the 100 chart. Count by 1's, 2's, 5's, and 10's to the number. Count backwards from 20. Randomly have him name numbers. One lower and one higher. Then write 'today's number' on the number line on the wall. Then add one penny to the cup and count the money (For example, day 13 will have one dime and three pennies/ day 15 exchange 5 pennies for a nickel). Write 'today's number' on the work sheet, which has number placement and add one and subtract one. Bring me 'today's number' in objects. Find an object in the room the length of 'today's number' with the measuring tape. Get out a snack and do fractions. Play the number game (guess a number; no mine is higher, no mine is lower until they guess the number), etc.. etc. The etc. are the many ideas for real life math. Oh, and then of course their is the wooden shape puzzles with animals that my kids adore. It is doing it every day and increasing by one number a day that teaches MFW1 math. Trying to do it once a week would really lose the lessons that are based on continuity.

I hope this helps!

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm

I see what you mean about everyday math being done everyday. duh!
We just started the penny a day this week in kindergarten. They won't take much time and I do ours now at the beginning of the day. School day #, Calendar, memory verse, time, and now coins.

I was contemplating adding the shape blocks to my basic order. Decisions, decisions. :)
Cheri in TN
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)

Ruby

Unread post by Ruby » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 pm

i'm gonna play devil's advocate-
if you have the extra money to spend, then get the pattern blocks! we liked them and still use them. and it's a sneaky way to get the kids to do educational activities.