Bible Notebook - Help with drawing skills

Learning God's Story
annaz

Bible Notebook - Help with drawing skills

Unread post by annaz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:53 pm

First Grade Bible notebook
bdgmoore wrote:My son is doing great with the first grade program (we're on day 72) and we are really enjoying it.

However, every time we do the Bible notebook, it frustrates him --not because of the writing, but because of the illustrating. He cannot get the pictures to look like what he has in his mind and he ends up in tears. I have tried cut and paste, copying pictures, using different writing instruments, etc.

So, my question is, should I just skip the pictures? He loves the Bible reader and everything else. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me.
Teresa
Would a Draw Write Now or Usborne's I Can Draw People book help? They usually contain simple shape drawings to copy. If he's that good that he doesn't like the outcome, these may help.
Ann

Susan on the Space Coast

If he's still interested in drawing....

Unread post by Susan on the Space Coast » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:32 pm

Why not let him draw on a separate piece of paper and then glue it to the notebook? I read in some art book that one trick if you mess up on one part of the picture, hold it up to the light with another piece of paper on top and trace all of the parts that you drew that you like and change the part you don't. Since your son is only in 1st, you may have to do the tracing, and he can correct the part he doesn't like.

Maybe if you draw along with him, or even finish a picture he describes, he will get a better idea of how to draw it. I'm not an artist, but I can envision how I want something to look. If I watch someone draw it, it helps. That's what I liked about Drawing with Children: they helped you look at each shape that was in the branch or the frog, etc. and then put it together to make the picture.

But in reality, you can just focus on the writing/handwriting part of the notebook, if you don't get any ideas that work.
Susan
wife to Tim (22 yrs.), mommy to Emily (17, graduate), Daniel (15), and Megan (13)
Have taught MFWK through 1850-MT; High School

LizCT

Unread post by LizCT » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:30 pm

I think it is fairly common for kids in this age range to have a level of perfectionism in their artwork. Drawing with Children is really trying to address this issue. I know that my dd's drawing teacher (a school that is a franchise of the woman who wrote DWC) said that they have the kids draw in sharpie otherwise many of them would never finish a drawing - they would constantly be erasing their work. Unfortunately, some kids don't get past that frustration, and they come to believe that they just "can't" draw. Reading Drawing with Children might give you some ideas of how to counter that in your child.

I have run into my dd not wanting to draw the stories - I don't pressure her - I give her suggestions such as "maybe you could draw a lion for this one" or I let her go back later & do a picture - I don't push it.

I think the ideas that have been suggested so far would be helpful. He may want to use a different medium for his picture (finger paints or watercolor or sidewalk chalk, play people, or whatever) which you could then photograph and put into his Bible Notebook.

Liz in CT

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:02 am

I love all the ideas so far!

I'd just lay off the drawing part. Maybe say, "The drawing is frustrating you. Do you have any ideas to make it work? Or shall we just skip the drawing for now? You can always go back to it this summer if you'd like." Perhaps giving him some time to NOT draw would help a lot. Maybe he never draws (any more...) in the notebook. Worse things could happen...

Hope you find an answer. Please tell us how you stop the tears...
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

lisa062797

Unread post by lisa062797 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:33 pm

I followed the suggestion to get myself a sketchbook so that I could do the notebook, too, and he has really responded well to this. Even when I'm copying a picture that's in front of both of us, he'll copy my drawing and won't even look at the picture I'm drawing FROM. It seems to have really built up his confidence to have me drawing right along with him. Maybe it's because he sees that even mommy's picture doesn't turn out exactly the same as the one we're using as a reference.

We are on day, oh, fifty-something of 1st grade, and I have seen his drawing improve pretty well over the year. I think it's mostly because he's more relaxed that I'm doing it with him instead of watching him or waiting for him to finish. Plus, he gets to see what strokes and shapes he needs to make to get the end result while they're being drawn, instead of being overwhelmed by thinking about having the whole thing to do.

Or, check out the scrapbooking section of a craft store...there can be many fun things for the finding that can work for the bible notebook.

Otherwise, like others have said, just skip the drawing for now if he keeps resisting. There's plenty of time later on to learn these things. One of the oh, so many advantages of homeschooling. ;-)

Lisa

Ariasarias

Unread post by Ariasarias » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:54 pm

I just have one more idea that has worked for my perfectionist dd. Sometimes when she is really stuck I help her draw what she wants to draw. I had trouble with this because I wanted it to be all of her work, but it seems to have helped her over the hump some days. Some days I even drew most of it, but she may color it. Looking back, I don't even think you can tell when I drew most of it :). I'm learning to draw too!!!
Nicole :)
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:36 pm

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:05 am
Eve wrote:Hi ladies, do any of you deal with a child who usually detests drawing or coloring? This is odd for me as I am an artist, and I love to color or draw. So do my other two older children. So I have never had to face this challenge.

I guess my question is: Would it be a horrible thing, or would I be doing him a dis-service, if I drew, I let him trace, what if we cut out old pictures, or even scan in some ? Brainstorming... Eve
I've been giving some thought to your post. I had two thoughts for you to pray about.

The first thought is, I am also an artist and I have two dd's who love to draw. My youngest is my ds age 6 who was a very reluctant writer/drawer/colorer until I started using Drawing with Children.

I discovered that he was not confident to draw because he was comparing himself to me and his sisters and thought his stuff wasn't "good" because it didn't look like ours. After working, w/o sisters, with him and walking him through the steps, he saw that he could draw and it has helped with his confidence. Writing is still not his favorite thing to do but he'll do it. And now he will spontaneously draw and color. Not as much as sisters but more than in the past. My thought was perhaps he is feeling intimidated by all the talent in your home and perhaps not wanting to "compete" in an area that is not a strength for him.

I don't think this is his issue but the second thought I had is, does your son have any underlying fine motor issue ie. strength/coordination issue, that he needs help with? Boys in general have less fine motor ability early on than do same age girls. Perhaps there are some exercises you can do with him to build up hand strength as well as ability. My dd played with clay, pick up small things like beans and Cheerios, as well as put them into a jar using only her thumb and index finger as a way to build coordination. If he can easily trace w/o too much fatigue this is probably not the problem but I thought I would toss it out there.

Just pondering...
Either way, I will pray for wisdom for you...
Lainie

Julie L.

Unread post by Julie L. » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:37 pm

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:14 pm

Yes, my 8 yr old was like that, and still is to some extent, until this year. I just never forced the issue much and made it seem fun. I told him he could use crayons, colored pencils(he prefers),markers sometimes and paints. That helped to givehim variety and also I gave him paper choices-he likes to think outside the box. This year he is being so creative in drawing- especially things HE WANTS to draw, and coloring better using colored pencils mostly.

Julie L.