Placement - Using MFW1 with a reading child

Learning God's Story
GoodCat

MFW1 was great for my good reader

Unread post by GoodCat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 pm
When we did MFW1 with my then 5dd, she was a pretty good reader. She was reading cvc and two vowel words pretty easily. MFW1 was great for her. It taught her many special sounds that they need to know to progress in their reading. She didn't get bored and adding in the Bible notebook was great. I heard a lot of people say that 1st moves to fast in phonics. That the special sounds don't have enough review. But there are games you can play (in the TM) to help with that. And really, my dd did just fine.

I hope you enjoy it!!
Cathy

Michelle in WA

Re: MFW1 was great for my good reader

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:00 pm
My dd was reading very well when we started 1st. I decided to just go ahead as written. It was good review as far a phonics goes. She enjoys the bible reader and the Notebook has been good for learning to write better. A lot has been very easy for her, but she is having fun and it's been a gentle entry into schooling.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:48 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:36 pm
My dd was reading way above grade level when she started MFW1, and she loved the program. It is a wonderful year. I would introduce the phonic rule of the day, and use phonics time for spelling. It worked great for us, and it was great to have all that writing practice. We added a pre-school Bible some days as well, so that she read the Bible Reader and the same story out of the Bible to me. It was a wonderful way to introduce history by using the Bible as the spine. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 pm
Agreeing with the other ladies. Our ds was in private school doing A Beka for kinder and he was in highest reading group.

He loved the first grade program and he learned so much. If your ds is a strong reader then great! He will enjoy a rich year and perhaps be able to explore a lot of library resources.

There was so much to the first grade program with the bible/time line portion and other activities. If he has mastered phonics then perhaps the ease of that portion of the curriculum will allow him time to strengthen a weaker area like writing, maybe?

If your ds was doing well I'm a little confused as to your concern and why you would "abandon" the phonics portion instead of having him do it and be very successful and reinforce the skills he has.

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:30 pm
Ditto Michelle's post exactly. Dd was a good reader but the review was good, the year was enjoyable (as 1st should of course be) and as she heads into 4th this year, she LOVES reading.

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:52 pm
My 1st grader could read on a 4th grade or higher level and did just fine with what was in the manual. It was good review.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:25 am
My middle child used MFW K when she was already reading at least at middle of the way through 1st grade reading level.

I used MFW K phonics for pre spelling, more handwriting and especially for copywork of those short vowel stories. It really didn't bother me that she didn't spend an enormous amount of time each day in K work in phonics. I found it very easy to use the K program with her. She's a better speller and does copywork easier too. And we even played with the letter cards and sound discrimination sheets --- alphabetical order with those things.

so --- don't be nervous about chiming in and asking for ideas to beef up phoincs and such in K and/or 1st grade. Lots of easy things to do.

She never lost her reading skills.

She continued in MFW 1st grade ahead of the curve in phonics/reading. Again, more emphasis for a few minutes with spelling, composition. So work more on-- handwriting and especially composition. and you can use some parts for spelling if they are already easily reading.

Also --- something else to add these days that I wish I had known a few years ago and will say now......

1. It's ok if school takes less time --- find a way to spend the other time during other subjects such as music lessons, foreign language, how to knit/crochet or cook and clean. But --- make sure you are using that extra time to find ways to serve the Lord together as a family. Praise God that you aren't going to be bogged down in phonics with this student!!!! and go find ways to serve the Kingdom together in ways that are age appropriate. Can you let your child go read to a shut in from your church? lots of other ideas, but that's a quick one.

2. Work on those Bible Reader out loud narrations ---- there are many cultures and people groups in the world who do not read in their language. They learn through story telling. So --- work on being able to let your child tell the Bible stories (and have to write them too) and act the stories with Props.

You never know --- maybe they will be able to grow up and be a Story Runner someday. Faith comes by hearing...

so if the phonics is easy and they can read those same ole ole stories easily then find a way to use it for the Kingdom.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:11 am
In the archives, there are a bunch of ideas for using 1st with a child who is already reading: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=3952

I'll just share a couple of thoughts from the point of view of a mom whose child read well before Kindergarten:

* They are still young and don't need a full day of work, or even 4 hours of constant schoolwork. ALL 3 of my public schooled 1st graders could have used the shorter MFW school day at that point. Many of the kids in the neighborhood fell asleep right after school because it was too long. They also got cranky because they had been concentrating too much.

* Often children read early by being good memorizers. This does not mean they are good at phonics. I've always felt that memorizing can't be done forever, and having phonics on board for the future is a valuable use of time. My youngest could read individual words but did not notice the patterns, so each time, for instance, "ing" was added to a word, he had to memorize it separately from the root word or from other times he had added "ing" to words.

* My youngest was in public school for K-2, and they decided he should skip phonics class & just read books at "his level." It wasn't until I brought him home that I realized he had never learned things like what a vowel is (very key to spelling) or the alphabet in order (needed for alphabetizing).

I just thought it might help to realize that you really are teaching him even though it appears on the surface that he is past all that.

cbollin

first grade and spelling

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:25 am

This is why I really LOVE MFW first grade.

you don't have to add stuff to make it complete. I know from time to time people wonder if MFW first grade is "just phonics or just this or just that". No. It's everything you need.

Even if your first grade age child is "ahead of the curve in reading", you might be tempted to not do MFW first grade. Please re-consider. Even kids who are ahead in reading and are first grade age will benefit from everything in here.

My little youngest child (the one with autism) is "ahead of the curve in reading". go figure that. But, you know what I'm realizing as I use this program again? Marie Hazell wrote scripts in this manual to teach spelling rules along the way. oh my! I was so stupid to rush my middle child through the first 20-30 days of the first grade program a few years ago. She was "ahead of it". right? Don't we all feel that way at times? come on.... admit it.... come on.... But in doing so, I missed those early spelling rules that Marie Hazell put in the manual.

We're on day 16 this morning. I realized that already we've covered the vast majority of the rules that are in the suddenly popular spelling program All about Spelling, level 1. we've covered doubling consonants, and then today -- lo and behold.... there was it.... using CK for /k/ after short vowel. bingo. I almost missed it because I was thinking "my baby already reads this stuff and she really wants to make her spaghetti right now instead of marking vowels and letter....".

then I looked down at the next thing (line 7, not 6 like I typed eariler....): and there was Grammar in the program too. :thud: you mean I've been right all these years when I said that? (giggle). You mean we're teaching grammar (rules of punctuation at least) in this too, without it having to be rote memory work of parts of speech?

wahoo!!!! Go Marie Hazell!

so, can I make a public appeal to unknown, random mom/dad out there who has a kid who is reading, but is still first grade age ---- consider using MFW 1st grade for all language arts and math needs for your child (even if you have kids in older programs.) Why piece meal this thing and that thing and drive yourself crazy.

ok.. so maybe the coffee was stronger than usual this morning. But even though this is my 2nd time using MFW 1st, I loooooooooooooove how complete it is without losing the gentle nature of a Charlotte Mason influence. I love that we were able to find real life applications of our memory verse this week while my daughter wanted to play outside in the rain (thunderstorm actually).....

p.s. I have 3 kids. homeschooled all along. youngest is 7, and using MFW first grade b/c that is where she is.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poohbee

Re: first grade and spelling

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 am

I'm really glad you shared this, Crystal! I keep thinking, too, how wonderful MFW is and how amazingly complete this curriculum is! I appreciate so much the work that Marie has put into writing it!

Thank you, Marie and crew!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 am

Pass that coffee pot over here Crystal, I think I need to catch up.

You're absolutely right. I had a similar revelation/realization/remembrance yesterday. Why do I torture myself (and my kids) trying to reinvent the wheel? Every once in a while I have to be brought back to reality..... Marie's written a very complete program here.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Jami

Unread post by Jami » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 pm

We are on Day 4 of First Grade and love it (both my son and I) already. We did Kindergarten last year even though he knew his letters and sounds and I am really glad that we did that too. It amazes me how much my son learned while taking the least amount of time and work to learn it in. Gentle is exactly the right way to describe My Father's World for K and 1st and I'm so blessed and thankful that we came to use this program as our first homeschooling program.

I try to think why anyone would not want to use MFW and just can't come up with a reason :-)

Off topic, we just read "God Speaks Numanngang" in ECC and loved it. It might have more to do with me being pregnant, but I cried through the end of the book while reading it aloud to my children. (Don't worry, sadly, they are used to that.) Did I say already how blessed we are that God brought us to MFW?
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Oh -- Ditto!!! My heart just sinks if I read that someone is considering skipping MFW1. You just don't know what you don't know. Teaching MFW1 proved to me that concise, rich, age-appropriate lessons are the way to go! There is so much learning crammed into every lesson!

Now I wonder if forcing my already-reading dd to go through all those phonics pages is what helped her test into SP at such a rediculously high level . . . ? Yeah, she's gifted in that area, but how does one inherently know how to spell? Now that I ponder it, I think that red-pencil/mark-the-words stuff was pure genuis. Maybe if Marie stated, "Say this to your child because it will help them know how to spell next year," we'd pay attention. LOL!

And we're still using the Proverbs lessons. "Your words should be sweet as honeycomb, Punkie-Pie. Use nice words, please." :-)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL