1st Bible - Precious moments with children

Learning God's Story
LizCT

1st Bible - Precious moments with children

Unread post by LizCT »

We are going to be creeping through MFW K with my 4.5 yo dd, so we did the creation days alongside big sister's start in the MFW 1st Bible Notebook. We were able to coordinate the days of creation for both girls & it was fun! They each have their own notebooks going.

It's cute to see Adam & Eve as little circles with arms & legs coming out of the head (4 yo).

Liz in CT
Cyndi (AZ)

Proverbs

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 pm
For an example on how the Proverbs lessons work -- a little while ago, her verse to learn was Proverbs 29:11 A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.

When I explained that "full vent" means when a person loses their temper and screams and stomps and maybe throws something, her eyes got huge and she said, "sometimes I'm a fool." Over my chest constrictions, I told her that's why she gets punished for that behavior and has to ask for forgiveness and pray for Jesus to help her make wise decisions. There are lots of little moments like that with this curriculum. It is wonderful.

HTH a little in making your decision.
mgardenh

Being built up in Christ!

Unread post by mgardenh »

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:22 pm

I just wanted to share about something neat that is happening with my dd. She has Aspergers and has very rigid thinking and will say what is on her mind. Often times not appropriate, kind, or very thoughtful things. I know character building is hard for all children particularly young ones. But for someone with Aspergers (High functioning Autism) it is probably ten times harder for her then most children.

Since starting mfw 1st the bible times focus on proverbs and one of the things dc does is copy the proverb. Some of the proverbs are "he who guards his mouth and tongue keeps himself from calamity", "Pleasant words are a honeycomb sweet to the soul and healing to the bones", "A fool give full vent to his anger but the wise use self control" and other passages. We have been talking about these things (particularly before we need them) and Julia has been applying them to herself. She is using a lot less harsh words and using more pleasant words in particular. She even told her sister who was very angry about not being a fool and giving full vent to her anger. Of course not the write time but she understood when it was happening and that it could be applied to the situation. You may not understand how huge this is. The biggest obstacle for Aspergers kids is understanding social situations and what to do when and where. So for her to see that social situation and identify what was happening is huge ground for us. Due to the Aspergers and being a child she still tells people what she thinks in inappropriate way and times. This is so significant for us!

I am so thankful to Jesus for using MFW to help our daughter socially in ways I do not think that we could do on our own. It is amazing God's word overcomes what are huge obstacles for our precious dear child.

Thanks for letting me share.
netpea

thanks for sharing

Unread post by netpea »

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Thank you for sharing. It is encouraging to know that hiding scripture in our hearts enables us all to deal with situations better. I think I need to review those same scriptures each morning to be more patient and understanding myself.
RB

Unread post by RB »

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Wow! Makes me think of the verse about God's word being living and active. What a powerful example you shared! Inspires me to do less lecturing when my kids are struggling and put them directly in touch with His Word. Thanks :)
gratitude

A MFW Grade 1 Moment...

Unread post by gratitude »

I have been thinking lately about how meaningful it is that my ds7 first reading book is his Bible reader. I have been thinking how wonderful it is that his first reading habit is to read daily bible! :-)

Then a moment happened that I must attribute to our using MFW Grade 1.

He came down after dinner tonight and wanted me to listen to him read a verse out of my bible. He had opened the page to the place I had marked and read the first verse at the top of page that happened to be in the book of Genesis. The verse was the one when God takes Enoch to be with him in heaven. What a beautiful moment. I am grateful for MFW Grade 1 program. Thank you Marie & David! :) :)
RachelT

Re: A MFW Grade 1 Moment...

Unread post by RachelT »

That is really sweet!!

My daughter used her own tiny Gideon's Bible the other day and highlighted Psalm 23 on her own! She said that she went to the index and found the word "lonely" and then found the Psalm. Then she decided to highlight it because she liked it!

:)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
SarahP

MWF 1st Proverbs - They get it!

Unread post by SarahP »

This morning we started day 28 with a new proverb - A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control Proverbs 29:11. I read it to my boys (both 5) and then had them each read it aloud. I was quizzing them on what a fool is and what a wise man is and Gabriel piped up - "he keeps himself from CALAMITY!" (semi-quoting from our Proverb from a couple of weeks ago which says He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity).

I am so excited to see God's word getting written on their little hearts!

Sarah
MelissaM

Re: MWF 1st Proverbs - They get it!

Unread post by MelissaM »

Yay! We are enjoying the Proverbs study too, though they are usually much more convicting for the teacher than the students over here.

I'm SUCH a work-in-progress.

Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2
Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

MelissaM wrote:I'm SUCH a work-in-progress.

Don't you just love explaining a Bible verse to your dc and having them look at you with that "oh really?" look? OK, so I'm probably making that up, but I often *deserve* an "oh really?" look, so it feels that way to me.

I remember studying the "full vent to anger" verse in MFW1. My dd was a year early then (which we corrected), so she was going through a 5yo temper phase at the time. She was so astonished by that Proverb. We stopped right there so she could pray for forgiveness and help to keep herself under control. I'll never forget that moment.

It is SO exciting to see them absorbing God's Word.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM »

Ds trying to recite this week's Proverb reminded me of this thread. We are doing Proverb 13:1 - A wise son heeds his father's instruction but a mocker does not listen to rebuke.

With some prompting, he got the first part, and then said, "but a mocker gives full vent to his anger." 8[]

I told you that one made an impression around here. &)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2