Math - Should I challenge a child who's advanced in math?

Learning God's Story
gratitude

First Grade Math Help

Unread post by gratitude »

kw4blessings wrote:We are working through 1st grade with my oldest son right now and loving it. I wanted to ask advice about the math. We are doing all of the math as written in the manual, the hands on activities, number of the day, bean cup, coin cup, etc. But, he's asking for more every day. He's already done more than 3x the number of CBOM pages that are scheduled and we're already 3 weeks ahead of the program in math vs. the phonics/Bible. I love that he's loving math, but I'm not sure how to proceed. He could potentially finish the TM activities and CBOM very quickly!

I called the MFW office and the person I talked to was very helpful. She encouraged me to keep doing the hands on activities with him as that is so important foundationally. This was one thing I needed to hear. She said MFW doesn't recommend starting a formal math program until the beginning of 2nd grade. I can see the reasoning there. But, he BEGS me to let him do the CBOM pages.... even ones we haven't touched on yet. He picked out a page of "greater than/less than" problems the other day and was determined to do it. After I showed him how, he did it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? This situation is new to me as every child is so different. I don't want to hold him back if he's interested. I've considered starting Singapore 1A with him as soon as we finish the math in the TM. I have the Home Instructor's Guide for 1A which is full of manipulative-based hands-on practice. Maybe if we do plenty of hands on along with the workbook/textbook? Maybe I'm over thinking this one, but I'd love some advice. Thanks!
I would agree to keep doing the hands on with him. I also agree with you that hands on math doesn't have to end at the end of first grade. I used MUS blocks with Singapore for years.

I don't believe in holding children back if they really are ready to move forward, or on the flip side pushing them into 'age level expectations' if they aren't ready. Children, to me, are people who need encouragement like all of us. If they want to fly, I think they do better if we let them.

My similar experience to you was my second born. When he did MFW1 I did use the math with him. He finished it about 1/2 way through MFW1 and then we moved right into Singapore 1A. It worked out fine.

It really depends on the child. If he wants more I would let him do it. I think the advice though to keep doing hands on as long as he needs it is wise.
hsm

Re: First Grade Math Help

Unread post by hsm »

Same exact situation here. My ds/s favorite subject by far is math. And, he is good at it :-)

I have been letting him work ahead in CBOM. Sometimes I print off free worksheets online. I can't remember , did you switch to R&S math for your dd? If so, you could copy some of the easier early lessons if he can handle that. I also have a book from Critical Thinking Company that works on Visual perception tasks. He likes to do that book also. Mazes, connect the dots, color by number sheets, puzzlers, anything mathy that you can find free online. There are some good online math sites if you allow computer time. Or apps for tablets if you have those.

Just some ideas. My dd's hate math! Funny how different kids are, isn't it?
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6
HSMom03

Unread post by HSMom03 »

My DS loves CBOM too! If you do finish early, I personally think that Singapore Math is still hands-on. Have you seen all the manipulatives they recommend with each course on their website?! I always want to buy them all! I like how MFW helps you make your own though (like bean sticks for base 10 materials). The Snap It Up! Card Games look really fun though!! http://www.singaporemath.com/Snap_It_Up ... mnscga.htm

Love hsm's ideas too....
hsm wrote:Mazes, connect the dots, color by number sheets, puzzlers, anything mathy that you can find free online.
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

I've only used MFW-1st with my grandson as an afterschool program, but I've had two sons and one grandson who were thrilled with math at this age. One is an engineer now.

I definitely think the hands-on needs to continue, and all the math teaching needs to continue, in order to reinforce and to fill in gaps of understanding that may be skipped over. When my son balked at a lesson he "already knew," I'd require him to participate in the teaching portion but let him "show me" he had mastered it in the lesson and then I would exempt him from the workbook - if he truly did well, no silly errors even.

I've also allowed my boys to choose a math workbook that is beyond them at round age 7, when they are so very enthused. I look at it as more of a toy than a lesson, something they are proud of, something that keeps them busy (my grandson brings either CBOM or his workbook when he goes out with me, even to church). In some cases, I feel like he's learning "workbook language" more than he's learning "math," but oh well.

I've "taught" my grandson some of the new concepts in his workbook, but it is at a beginner level. For instance, when he wanted to do the multiplication, I explained that it was "fast adding" and so he added -- 4 x 12? That's 12 + 12 + 12 + 12. After several months with that, I mentioned that 4 x 12 was the same as 12 x 4, and we drew out rows of dots to see how that worked. However, he's needed the reinforcement and the deeper understanding that come with lessons as well, whether he realizes it or not (which he gets in his classroom, in a special advanced class, and with me, so lots of math for him, by choice).

I look at it like my youngest son being very interested in road signs and the rules of driving when he was in elementary school, which I explained at gradually deeper levels over the years. I think it's a good thing for a driver to start paying attention at a young age. But he still had to take driver's ed -- it's too important to assume he caught every skill on his own.

By the way, the workbook my grandson chose has a variety of types of problems in it, somewhat similar to CBOM (except CBOM is more fun). I sometimes fear that a child will become sick of something before he even really learns it if he does too much of the same thing.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings »

Thank you, ladies. Great advice here. :-)
gratitude wrote:I don't believe in holding children back if they really are ready to move forward, or on the flip side pushing them into 'age level expectations' if they aren't ready. Children, to me, are people who need encouragement like all of us. If they want to fly, I think they do better if we let them.
Absolutely. :)
hsm wrote:I can't remember , did you switch to R&S math for your dd? If so, you could copy some of the easier early lessons if he can handle that.
Yes! A great fit for her. Hadn't thought of copying some of the pages for him. Thanks for suggesting printing off free pages, especially games. Great idea! Yes, kids can be SO different. I never imagined how true this would prove to be.
HSMom03 wrote:If you do finish early, I personally think that Singapore Math is still hands-on. Have you seen all the manipulatives they recommend with each course on their website?!
Good to know, thanks! I'll check out the website. I'm really excited about Singapore.

Julie, thanks for the examples of explaining fast adding to your grandson. This encourages me to "let him go" as far as learning ahead in math, but to make sure and do so in a hands-on, lots of explanation type of way!

It's time to go and work on our +8 facts today! ;)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!