Copywork - Goals in 1st

Learning God's Story
MJ in IL

Copywork - Goals in 1st

Unread post by MJ in IL »

Jenn in NC wrote:We are going through mfw 1st w/ my 6yo ds and I have been wondering about the Proverbs copywork...

There are obviously several words that my ds isn't ready to read yet in these verses that he is supposed to copy. I have been having him do it anyway and just reading it to him, showing him each word, etc. But I am confused.

Is it just handwriting practice or am I supposed to do more with it?
I'm not sure about the "official" intent, but, I decided the focus was to be character and handwriting. I remember doing this portion similar to what you described...We read the proverb, discussed the application to our lives, copied & colored it, posted it on the refrigerator (as a reminder to review and apply) then often mailed it off to grandmas, aunts, etc.

HTH!
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT
SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama »

We copied the Proverb (although I needed to stretch out the copywork over several days for my wiggly, not quite ready to write a lot boy), talked about it, repeated it everyday, etc. My (then) 6 year old could not really read most of the words:-) - I just pointed them out to him as I read them.

Amanda
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!
RachelT

Unread post by RachelT »

Hi! We have been using the Proverbs as more of a memory verse, reviewing it each day that week and trying to know it from memory, then just use it for handwriting practice. I do read it and point to the words, but we are focusing on reading when we look at our Bible Reader and phonics lessons. As said above, these are lessons of character and many of them do tie in so well with the Bible stories we are reading. I feel like this is where God is planting seeds in the hearts of our children! (And me!)

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
Lucy

Unread post by Lucy »

Jenn,

Just adding a few thoughts to the other great feedback you have already received.

The purpose is for them to be able to hide these valuable treasures in their heart and begin to apply them to their lives. So it is fine for you to read the verse to him as much as needed.

Just a reminder, you may want to look back in the T.M. on day 3 where Marie's instructions and intent for using the Proverbs are first explained. You may already do this but I am including it just in case you need a refresher.

the Proverbs are to be copied for use in learning language mechanics such as capitals, commas and ending marks as well as to practice handwriting. It will be easier to write the verse too if he first memorizes it. Then he really not have to be able to read it since he will know it by heart and can distinguish by the first letter of the word.

Hope that frees you to be able to work with him and not feel pressure for him to read it. As the others said that is done through the phonics portion and bible reader.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.
Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC »

I do really like the character building aspect of the Proverbs work. But I was unsure about using it for copywork since he can't read what he is writing -- his handwriting is coming along beautifully though.
Lucy wrote:the Proverbs are to be copied for use in learning language mechanics such as capitals, commas and ending marks as well as to practice handwriting. It will be easier to write the verse too if he first memorizes it. Then he really not have to be able to read it since he will know it by heart and can distinguish by the first letter of the word.
This helps a lot. I have been a little lax in having him do the memorization b/c he is already doing the memorization from CTG with his brothers (he wants to). But I think I will work on changing the focus of our daily memorization time for him -- I have noticed he already "reads" other things (like people's names) by first letter. So that would be very helpful for him I think.

Don't know what I'd do without this board. Thanks everyone. :)
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850
doodleboomommy

Unread post by doodleboomommy »

I think part of the idea, too, is that they need practice in handwriting. So instead of them copying just anything, copying the Word of God brings in two purposes--handwriting, and as someone else said, hiding the Word of God in their precious little hearts. My girls have been copying scripture since they began handwriting a couple of years ago. It's a great time to introduce new words to them. They will remember them better than me. LOL! The reading of these bigger words can catch up with them later.