Timeline - Ideas & details (1st)

Learning God's Story
Julie - Staff

Timeline - Ideas & details (1st)

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:00 pm

More timeline ideas may be found on other threads, as well:

1st
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 332#p65130 (photo)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 382#p28384 (top photo)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=540 (note photos on pages 1 & 2)

General Timeline Ideas
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1903

Rebecca

Timeline

Unread post by Rebecca » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:00 pm

Leena wrote:Does the timeline only have 2000, 1000, 0, 1000, 2000, and ?
Do I add more years?

Am I supposed to put it high on the wall? If I do, how do my kids reach it? If I put it too low, how do I keep my 2 year old from ripping it down?

Thank you. Leena
Author: Rebecca
Date: 11/2/2003

Leena,
We put it about shoulder high to me on the wall, too high for my munchkin to get to it but easy enough for dd to get to with a step stool.

I worried about adding extra dates too (would I have them correctly spaced, etc). We put the date at the bottom and placed it appr where it should go and we were very happy with it.

I think in first grade it is much more important to realize the order that the events happened, more so than the exact year. This was good for me too, I learned more about the Bible and culture of the time than I thought possible. Enjoy your year!

Blessings,
Rebecca

Marie

Re: Timeline

Unread post by Marie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 pm

Author: Marie Hazell
Date: 11/3/2003

Rebbecca, thanks for your excellent answer. The timeline in first grade is designed to give kids a sweeping overview -- to see the Bible stories as a part of the flow of history. It helps them begin to sequence events and to understand the flow of history. It is important to put your child's picture on the timeline, too. You can add anything else you want to, but there is no need to add any additional pieces to this timeline.

When you begin Creation to the Greeks (two years later) you will make a much more detailed time line that will include much more. New timeline pieces are provided so that you can start fresh. First Grade is just setting a foundation.

Colleen

Spacing the dates

Unread post by Colleen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm

Beth in Texas wrote:I would like to make our timeline MFW1 timeline on posterboard rather than on the wall. About how far apart did you space your dates?
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:05 pm
Ours ended up about 32 inches apart. They started out a little closer together than that but we had to spread them out a little due to the 2000-1000 B.C. section. That section was the most full in MFW1. BTW it is still hanging on the wall in the kitchen & family room. I haven't decided if we should redo it for Adventures or just add to it. Humm, maybe that would give dd a nice feel for the flow of history rather than starting over....

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm

caod wrote:So, could someone clarify for me what the time line really looks like i.e. how long is it? We are doing Adventures and first grade so we will work the same time line. Any visual image anyone could give would be helpful.
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:26 am

There is no pre set expectation of how your time line will look and work. There are lots of options.

I use the walls in my unfinished basements. I've seen timelines in other people's home that are in books; or pieces of paper taped together; or posterboard. I've seen time lines on walls that go horizontally (like mine) or vertically (especially on the backs of doors).

I used the ???? as the start time to indicate that we aren't exactly sure of where Day 1 is on the BC/AD timeline. And then used 2000 as the next section. And made a second set of question marks for Christ's return to "end" the time line.

???? 2000 1000 BC/AD 1000 2000 ????

I didn't really try to keep the spacing perfect between time frames (1000 years, 2000, years, 100 years, etc) We worked more on before/after and close enough together to be called "at the same time". I'm counting on doing more in depth timelines as they get older and the distance between times will make more sense to them.

I probably won't bother to take down the time line for a while. I plan to use an arrow to point out where our study is and move the along the wall. Follow the bouncing arrow :) when using the timeline the second and third time through.

--Crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:14 pm

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 am

Beth & Connie,
Since your studies will be chronological, it is not necessary to affix all the date markers at the beginning of the year. You can just affix date markers as you pass that milestone in your studies. That way, you will be sure to have the right amount of space.

We did our timeline on a closet door in the hallway, vertically. At the beginning of the year, we placed creation at the bottom and the future (???) at the top. We placed timeline pieces as they came up in the teacher's manual, and added (or moved) the year markers when we passed the thousand year intervals. I would show you a picture, but ours is of Creation to the Greeks so it won't match 1st grade.

Have fun with it! Your kids will think it's *perfect* no matter how you present it to them!
Julie

cbollin

Timeline Question about the year 0

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:19 pm

workman wrote:I am using ECC and MFW1 with my boys 6 and 10. This is our first year with MFW and we are loving it!

I have a question about the timeline in MFW 1st grade. I am looking at Day 127 and notice the timeline reads Birth of Christ 6-5 BC. I don't have the actual time line pieces to see how they are marked but shouldn't this actually be labeled "0"? I know it's a minor thing but it has me curious.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Nancy
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:01 pm
Hi Nancy.
Excellent question.
No, it shouldn't be labeled as Zero. There actually isn't a zero year when you do BC and AD based on the Gregorian calendar, which is the one we use. But when scholars were figuring out dates and converting calendars between civilizations and getting common points in time, they realized that they made a calculation error. The birth of Christ is generally thought of as being somewhere between 6-4 BC. Herod is thought to have died in 4 BC and Jesus was born before Herod died.

you can probably find some more information on a good search engine if you need more details. or maybe someone has a good link. but, it boils down to a calculation and math error from many centuries ago.

--crystal

lisa062797

Timelines

Unread post by lisa062797 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:21 pm

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:05 pm
How we did ours was just stretch and tape a length of yarn to the wall (horizontally). We taped the years above it (not worrying too much about spacing...we had to do some rearranging later on anyway), and taped the pictures underneath the yarn where they belonged according to years. We taped the colored strips (indicating Israel's time in Egypt, and the time during which Israel was a nation) above the corresponding years.

One thing of note for the future...if you plan on using Adventures for 2nd grade, don't take the timeline down at the end of 1st like I did. :-/ I knew there would be a timeline for Adventures, but I didn't know you could just continue the one from 1st. I still have everything from 1st, but since we're going to be moving in a few months, I didn't bother to put it up, and we're just using the one from Adventures for now. But after we move, if I have enough wall space, I will put everything back up. :-)

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:21 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:45 pm

We have a school area in our basement, which has (painted) poured concrete walls. So, I didn't even mess with yarn, we just put a long stretch of masking tape up for our line and used putty to stick the numbers above it. I may have to move it and make it longer, but we would have to move something or rearrange some things, so since I'm not sure it this is it's permanent home, we are just leaving it there, in tape, for now.

Rachel

LizCT

Unread post by LizCT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:22 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:40 pm

We have our timeline posted in our dining room on the wall. We put up all of the MFW 1st timeline figures, and have continued it this year with MFW Adventures. Last year, I also put pictures of my two kids at the 2000 mark with their birth dates noted, so they could see where they fit into things. We added a few things, like Harriet Tubman, when we studied her life briefly last year as part of our coop.

Having it in a prominent location is not good from a decor standpoint, but it is a great conversation piece! People of all ages who come over to visit find it very interesting to see what my family is studying at different times.

Liz

Julie - Staff

First Grade Timeline...how long?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:53 pm

hollybygolly wrote:Just a quick question: I thought someone asked this the other day, but I can't find the post (if it exists!). How much wall space will I need for our 1st Grade timeline? I'm trying to decide where to put it and need to measure. Thanks in advance!
Posted Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:34 pm by Cyndi (WA)
I think the timeline in MFW1 is very flexible. I adjusted the pieces every once in awhile. We had ours on a 10-foot stretch of wall and had plenty of room. Length and spacing don't really matter, as long as you show the order of events.

There are so many different ways to put up the timeline. Here's a link with some ideas --
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=540

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:09 am by dhudson
In my experience, we never put all the dates of the timeline up until we get to that time. Inevitably, if I permanently place the dates on the wall, they end up being spaced incorrectly. I now use either our magnetic wall or each child has their own cork board so that the dates can be moved.

There is probably someone out there who measures this and gets it right every year - if so please let me know how they do it because I'm clueless.

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:30 pm by mom2h
I am using STICKY-TAK on the back of my pictures and applying it directly to the wall above a length of yarn...that way if I have to compress the markers down the line, I can!

Cyndi (AZ)

Timeline 1st - colored strips

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:00 pm

NJCheryl wrote:We are getting ready to start our time line for MFW 1st. On two of the time line card stock sheets there are strips. One says color strips purple and adjust length to fit your time line. The other says the same, but to color brown. Maybe I am missing it, but I don't see instructions in the TM for what these strips are for. Can anyone clarify?

Cheryl
Check out Day 78 and Day 87 for where to put the Brown strip. Check Day 98 and Day 121 for where to put the Purple strip.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

gratitude

1st Grade Timeline?

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:00 pm

MercyMamma wrote:Help! I can't figure out the timeline for 1st grade. How long should it be? What are we going to be doing with it? I can't figure out how long to make it... thanks!
I think many people on this board do many different ideas with their timelines from the pictures and posts I have seen. Some do books, or doors, or walls. We do the following:

For us I decided to use the top of the wall in our toy room, which also has a couch we read on, and is the family room off the kitchen. Thus, we see it all the time. I LOVE our timeline. It is really helping us see the progression of Biblical History. It starts by the kitchen, goes across the top of the wall, around the corner, across the top of the wall above the fireplace, around the corner and down the rest of the wall and then continues into the hall way. I have sometimes wondered if it is O.K. being so high, but it keeps little hands from ripping it down out of curiosity.

For me I used 8 1/2 inches (I have wished I had used an even number) for every 100 years, thus 7 feet for every 1000 years. I added a post for 3000 years and 4000 years. It has really been fun every time we add a new Biblical character. By having it so long they easily fit spaced according to the number of years in between. It gives the sense of a long time from Noah to Abraham and then how much the History begins to move forward to Joseph and the time in Egypt and then into the desert to Jericho on to the Kings, etc. It also gives a great sense of the length of time from Adam and Eve to Jesus and then to the present day. It is also interesting to note that Abraham (right above the fireplace) lived a little over 2000 years before Christ and that we are now a little over 2000 years after Christ (above the toy closet in the hall way). Every time we put a new piece up I use a ruler to point to everything from Adam and Eve to where we are at so we are hearing the time line over and over and over again.

My ds7 has learned a lot from this tool. I haven't done it yet, but I also want to add their pictures at the end for the years they were born.

kanderson

Re: 1st Grade Timeline?

Unread post by kanderson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:27 pm

We cut black strips of construction paper about an inch or 2 thick and taped them to the wall in our schoolroom. Our timeline is about 7ft long. I just eyeballed it and put BC-0-AD in the middle and lined the 1000 and 2000 pieces up at equal distance from the middle.It's seems to be working for us. I know others have used like fishing line and hung up the timepieces so that they can squish them together or space them apart more. Hope this helps!
~Kristin
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

kacairo1

Unread post by kacairo1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:32 pm

We just set up our timeline this week as well. I have very limited wall space and lots of little fingers, so we used the hallway going down the stairs into our basement/family room. I actually used blue painters tape and it is working out perfectly. Can't wait to start adding pieces!
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:24 am

Here's what we're doing for our timeline for 1st grade. I already have one up on the wall for oldest doing CTG and RTR, so for my twins I made them each boards like here:

I figure I can move the year markers around if one uses less space than another.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:52 pm

We used a blue ribbon (I don't know why we chose blue? It's probably what we had on hand.) I taped it to the wall of the room we used for homeschooling. I made it pretty long, as long as the room. I remember having to move the timeline pieces now and then. We used clear tape on the back of the pieces so they were easy to use. After the year was over, I took it down and taped it into a "book" of construction paper taped together that folds up (as a keepsake). You can put yours on a wall or in a book. I've seen photos of some who hung them on doors or on the side of a bookshelf. You can make it any way you want it. If you have limited wall or door space you can make it as long as your space then add another strip or two or three, or as many as you need, underneath.

I hope you have as much fun as we did making the timeline!
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

gratitude

Timeline with 1st Grade

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:14 am

lmpsmith wrote:Have you all done the timeline that is in MFW? How did you do this?
You don't need proper spacing, although I did measure mine out. I went ahead and did a full time-line for creation to present, with millennium dates, when we did MFW 1. You don't have to do this. I am glad though that I did. Now we just add to it for ADV, and it was easy to add to for MFW 1; at times we also add other things that we go over. I put it across the top of the wall, near the ceiling, and it wraps around the family room where we spend the most time. It is also the room where I do all our Bible and ADV reading; thus, it is there for easy reference. It is a bit high up, but it also keeps it out of reach. Despite the height, we reference it often, and I am continually amazed at how much my oldest ds7 is understanding of the flow of History and how he remembers where people are on the time-line. It really helps give a tangible visual to Adam living over 900 years, and Leif Erickson being over 1000 years ago when Europeans didn't even know North America existed. It somehow makes it more real for him from the things he says, and gives him a little glimpse into how long Adam really lived and how new our country really is.

I haven't done anything this creative since my second child was born, and I am Loving it. I even found pictures on the computer to help out. Research & Creativity; I love it! Who says home schooling is just for the kids. 8[] Apparently, it is for mom too. :-)

Disclaimer: I LOVE time-lines. You can keep this really simple and put it in a book, or on a door, with zero spacing. Please don't let my obvious enthusiasm dissuade you. It is only to let you know that if you want to go far with it that you can, and that we are glad that we did. I am even planning on adding the early genealogy of the Bible with all of the ages of each person with strips to see how they over-lap up to Noah; my enthusiasm on this is completely unnecessary for MFW 1 or ADV.

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 pm by gratitude
You will find a lot of variations on how different moms have done the time-line. I think some are even done on doors top to bottom. Others, like ours, are in a hall-way.

The first time I did the MFW1 time-line I measured space exactly between all of the years; this turned out to be a bit unnecessary, and didn't leave enough space between the centuries for ADV which requires much more space between 1800 and 1900 then 100 years does in ancient history. Then we moved...

Now it is in a hall-way and very casually done. I gave more room for 1000 AD to the present than I did for the centuries prior to 1000. I focused more on millennium prior to Christ and 100 year break downs after 1000 AD. I hope this helps some. Our second MFW1 has been going up since April and I think more than anything at these ages they begin to see a flow of history from one event to another from Creation to present.

~Carin

baileymom

Re: Timeline with 1st Grade

Unread post by baileymom » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm

For our Timeline: we color the pic, cut it out, put scotch tape on the back, and hang them up as we go. (Our's is a CtG,RtR/First mix...now adding ADV pieces). It hangs in our dining room under our K flashcards, we LOVE it! (and get lots of questions/compliments about our dining room decor ;) )

...for a long time, I wondered about HOW to do this, WHEN to do this, WHAT would make it look the best...then decided all that didn't matter, what mattered was that it actually gets hung up, and the kids can see it and use it!
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

TriciaMR

Ist grade time line question

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:32 pm

DaniWestRN wrote:Can someone tell me how much space I will need on my wall to do the time line in 1st?
Not very much.... Maybe 6 feet or so... I used a tri-fold science board with maybe 3 or 4 lines (I'm sure there's a picture on my blog somewhere) to cover time periods... But you don't have to space them out evenly. You can just put the next thing on the board and if you know the date (it's in the TM for most of the pieces) write the date on/under the piece.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Ist grade time line question

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:32 pm

We used about 10' of wall space to put it in a straight line and had more than enough room. There's always interesting ideas of doing timelines popping up on this board. There's even a really good picture somewhere . . .
[ http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =25#p65130 ]
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

Bible notebook sub for 1st gr timeline?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:58 am

magnet252829 wrote:One of my biggest challenges and guilt causer is the lack of a timeline in our homeschool -- we/I quit the CtG timeline half way through and haven't even started our RtR, because our house doesn't have any wall space suitable for a timeline.

So, I am looking for an alternative for the 1st grade timeline. My question is this: is it possible just to use the Bible Notebook as a substitute timeline? If this is the worst idea imaginable, let me know, and I'll try to figure something else out. Thanks,
Alene
Ideas:
You don't "have" to have a timeline. So don't worry about it.

It doesn't have to be on a wall/door, etc. But, sometimes, backs of doors work when you don't have wall space. I'm hanging my current one in a Pocket Chart in a space that is about 3' x 4' for all years from CTG RTR ex1850. then in 1850 mod, it all goes in a book
read and see more here
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 380#p80380

You can use a display poster and fold it away behind a sofa, bed, other furniture.

You can buy the timeline book in 1850MOD. It will have the pieces from CTG, RTR, EX1850 in it.

I like your idea of taking the timeline pieces from 1st and making them part of your Notebook in 1st. That sounds like a great idea - put the timeline piece on the sheet. draw a pic. write a few sentences.
You could do that with RTR as well, and ex1850. Then, in 1850MOD, you'll get a timeline book because there isn't enough wall space for all pieces in 1850MOD.

hope some of that gives you some freedom to make it work, or don't worry.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: Bible notebook sub for 1st gr timeline?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:37 am

We used a tri-fold project board for our 1st grade timeline. Worked great. I've heard of people using Sewing Boards for their big timeline, and then they fold it up and put it in a closet or behind the couch :)

But, it will be okay. We never had timelines in school, and we turned out okay ;) :-)

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

magnet252829

Unread post by magnet252829 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:46 am

Thank you for all the ideas and helping me figure this out. We're going to do a timeline by gluing the figures to a posterboard with a picture of a scroll on it (from staples) and not worry about the dates and display/store it on a fabric draped music stand in the living room. That will work.

Will also get my CtG/RtR timeline for my oldest rehabilitated over Christmas break. Last year, I had visions of making this continuous timeline through the entire multi-year cycle with lift-a-flaps, and lapbook features, to make it fun to look through over and over -- but that's not going to happen. Back to the basics!

thanks again, happy Thanksgiving,

Alene

mlhom4him

Unread post by mlhom4him » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Our home has almost 0 wall space as well. I knew that my daughter would need to have a timeline to help her put people and events in the right order. I made an accordion book from file folders that accommodates the timeline. No wall space will be needed. She can take it down on the floor and look at it and "play" with it as needed for her little hands.

I cut 6 file folders so that they are all the same rectangular shape. Then I taped them together end to end. Next I glued a red ribbon down the center of the file folders for us to put all the figures on. This folds up and is kept with her school work.

May be that will give someone some ideas on how to make a timeline work in their home. :)
Wonderobyn wrote:MaryLou,
That is a GREAT idea!! Thank you from someone who has trouble being creative! =)
You are so welcome, Joy! Glad that I could help!

Mary Lou