Timeline - Ideas & details (1st)

Learning God's Story
asheslawson

Re: Bible notebook sub for 1st gr timeline?

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:43 am

We have a tiny house with little wall space too. I had mine hung on the back of the front door and then was blessed with an expanded craft room just outside my home. My timeline pocket chart was damaged when I left it in an area that I did not know had a leaky roof. However - I was able to replace the missing timeline pieces (thank you MFW)...and then I found another idea. My son loves to make his own books and had seen and idea for a book of centuries; he had wanted to do this - so I decided this would be a great time. Here is what we did - I made two - one for my 1st grader and one for my 5th grader in CTG.

I placed a blank undated page at the front (I plan to add a title page later with a pretty 'scroll' paper I got for an invitation a while back and I have some left - the title will read simply 'BC'). The undate page is where I put the beginning timeline figures for which we do not know the date...creation, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel...and so on.

Then I printed the two pages for every century from then on, beginning with 3100 - 3001 BC (just plain white paper with the date range printed at the top). I placed these starting on the back of the undated page with creation, A & E, C & A, Noah, Tower of Babel, so that they open together and you can see both of them at once. We put King Menes on this page for 3100 BC. Then I continued with pages for every century after that all the way through to 2001 - 2100 AD. (I will create a center cover page with 'AD' on the scroll stationary just like the BC page.) As the timeline figures are completed we will place them on the appropriate century.

I went ahead and placed every page in a sheet protector since I plan on having them add to these pages throughout their schooling as they cycle back through history. I think I will even have them place any writing assignments pertaining to these periods in these sections as they get older and outgrow coloring the timeline pieces - or maybe if they take off in art - they will sketch their own!! Either way - my plan is to have this be a keepsake with their work throughout their home school years. I'm sure this idea isn't for everyone - but since my son loves to make his own books we just preferred this over the time line on the wall. Lots of great ideas - I think if I decide later that my daughter prefers the visual display method - I would probably like the tri-fold chart I could slide out of the way when needed or I'll go back to the pocket chart. Just thought I'd share this since there are so many ways a time line could be done.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

psalm126mama

Re: Bible notebook sub for 1st gr timeline?

Unread post by psalm126mama » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:59 am

asheslawson - thank you for sharing this idea. I am limited on wallspace, too and your idea is great.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

Cyndi (AZ)

Where to put First Grade timeline?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 am

Yodergoat wrote:We have chosen to live in a very small home (less than 750 square feet) and wall space is at an extreme premium. It's an old mobile home and so the ceilings are also very low (a tad less than 7 feet), so even what wall space we have is limited by that... no height. And bookshelves take up much of the wall space. Lots of people say to use a door, but doors are not really an option because of their location, or they stay open all the time, etc.

But there is a small spot in our living room (where we do more than half of our schooling) near the front door, very visible and prominent. It is above a couch and so Gail can stand on the couch and reach it easily. Right now it is where we have the K days of creation numbers. The space is maybe 3 and a half feet wide and almost 4 feet tall. My husband doesn't mind schoolish stuff being in the living room at all... Our house is not... how shall I say it... stylishly decorated. ;) So a timeline certainly would not detract!!!!

Another question... this space is wallpapered. I don't mind sticking things to it, but I don't really know yet how you are to attach the timeline pieces and I worry they may not stick well. Should I mount a corkboard in the spot, and then we can use tacks for the pieces and move them around as needed?

I haven't even seen a picture of the timeline. So I don't know what to expect or how much room it would take. I know this spot does not have as much area as the back of a door. But it looks like it would be similar to one of those tri-fold boards or something. As for one of those... I would have a hard time finding somewhere to store one or even to set it up to display. II tell you.... we have too many books, too many pets in little aquariums and such, and just too much stuff in this place.
Here's a picture for you to look at -- this is the same post that helped me place our timeline a few years ago :-)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =25#p65130
if you scroll up a bit, there are other pictures with other options and ideas, too. HTH

FWIW, I think the space above your couch is plenty, you'll just have more than one row -- wrap-around style.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

mandolin

Re: Where to put First Grade timeline?

Unread post by mandolin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:43 am

I have my timeline in my main hallway. Do you have any hall wall space you could free up?
It makes for interesting dinner conversation when guests come over - I have a world map for a shower curtain, timeline for wall decor (MFW 1st), Us and World maps in my dining room. We are truly a HOMESCHOOLING FAMILY!! LOL It is funny how many guests end up talking about countries and gazing at maps at our home.
Isn't that stylish decorating? :)
I guess I am in the same boat for space at times!

Mandi
widow, remarried now 5 years to wonderful hubby
Loving MFW!
ECC with DSons 11 and 13, MFW 1st with DS, 8
homeschooling for 13 years

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:44 pm

I put mine in a notebook (for older student)...I just created two pages for every century and we put them there. But for first - I put them in a bradded folder and put the pages in order and she adds the timeline pieces in order. I also have VERY little wallspace and a tiny house.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Do you have a hallway? If not above the couch should work. Decide if you want to start at the top or bottom and then just have it go up or down wrapping in rows. Left to right perhaps?

We are in 1000 square feet and our time line is in the hallway. The first half is creation to Christ for MFW1. The second half coming back down the hall on the opposite side and is Christ to present for ADV. It is about eye-level for the kids.

P.S. Those pictures are amazing. My dd5 colors like that, but my boys just don't put nearly that kind of effort in. Beautiful.

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks for the ideas!

We do have hallways, but they are narrow and dim and out-of-the-way. I'd prefer to have it featured prominently in case someone comes to visit, so they might ask about it and we can talk about the things of God. ;) And so we can refer to it easily and I will be more accountable to keep it up to date.

I enjoyed looking at the photos, and was wondering how it is that some of you attached the cardstock together to fold accordian style. I like that idea. We would keep it on the wall on the connected cardstock (going left to right and top to bottom for continuity) then when First is over we can keep it to look at later. I'm a big fan of "keeping" stuff.... hence the cluttered home with no space. :~

So how does one connect it? Tape? Is there a certain way to do it so that it will fold properly? Just curious how it comes together.

Again, many thanks!!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:04 am

We hung ours along the wall. I nailed a few small nails into the wall and tied cute twine around them and strung a line. Then got those itty bitty CUTE clothespins from a craft store and we clipped our timeline pieces and dates to the string. It made it easy to move the dates down too when we needed more space. For the strips of paper ... like time in Egypt or whatnot ... we did use zots and stuck them to the wall above our timeline. I hope you can visualize. We are doing the same thing for Adv this year. :-)
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:13 am

Yodergoat wrote:Thanks for the ideas!
I'd prefer to have it featured prominently in case someone comes to visit, so they might ask about it and we can talk about the things of God. ;)
Beautiful! Your boldness is an encouragement to me.

I am always hoping someone will need to have a reason to go into our hall, which usually happens, and that just perhaps converstations will start; and sometimes they do. It is also the reason my dining room is covered with home school drawings and copied scriptures. I have wanted to share our home schooling & God being a part of it with people who come over, and it is one way we can.

Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement. I admired your boldness and had to quote you. You took it one step further than I have.

Buttercup78

Organizing the kiddos

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:13 am

4monkeyz wrote:Last night I opened one of the student sheet packs - Wow! There's a lot in there. Heehee. :-) Now I'm working on the Jesus poster pieces. And I love the schedule ideas in the front of the TM. :)

Have you decided on a timeline method? I'm lacking wall space and not sure what to do....

I saw one mom used a spiral square scrapbook and a friend of mine did hers along their basement stairs (on the wall) -- I have stairs leading up, but we don't use the second floor and I'm not sure....AH! :~
We used a tri-fold presentation board for our timeline in 1st and Adventures.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

Buttercup78

Re: Organizing the kiddos

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:06 pm

romans8x28 wrote:We are getting ready to start 1st and plan to do Adventures next year (Almost more excited about Adv. than 1st!) I didn't know there was an Adv timeline. Do you think we will want to just continue adding in our 1st timeline (maybe not permanently affix the New Heaven & New Earth just yet) or start over? Just trying to think way, way ahead. :-)
Using the presentation board, we had room to continue our timeline from 1st to Adventures. Your "New Heaven and New Earth" isn't going to change places, it's still at the end ;) Here's a picture of ours during 1st...
I laminated all the pieces and used velcro so things could be moved around if necessary.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

TriciaMR

How long to make 1st grade timeline?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Brendainnj wrote:I have looked at some of the other posts about timelines & saw the really cool one put up with blue painter's tape. BUT, I've never seen anyone mention how long it's supposed to be?? Is it only to fit the pictures that are given in the MFW set? Or are you supposed to add other things to it to, or keep it from year to year? The one with the painter's tape seemed pretty long to me.... I have a 7' section of my school room wall (aka dining room) that I can use but I'm not sure how high to put it up if it has to loop around.

Thanks! Tomorrow is the BIG day!

Brenda
You won't be adding to your 1st grade timeline unless you want to (I don't know if they add to it from Adventures, but you could always just start over). I just used a tri-fold science board (one for each of my twin boys so they could each have one of their own) in first grade, with 4 rows across - so a total of 12 feet, maybe, but there was a LOT of space. You don't have to space things evenly on it. On our wall timeline for my oldest (starting from CTG), we often just put up the next picture right next to the last one.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Yodergoat

Re: How long to make 1st grade timeline?

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Because of our own lack of space (a little area about the size of a poster board), I am not putting much space between each picture. I just want her to see the progression of what happened in which order, and not worry too much about how many years were between each event.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

C4Car

Unread post by C4Car » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:56 am

I had a 9 ft. wall which worked really well, but a 7 ft wall will be just as good. No worries on that. We put up a straight line of blue painters tape, then taped (w/masking tape, painters tape or sticky-tac) the timeline pieces onto it. We also did not worry too much about the spacing and just moved timeline pieces around when needed. We added to this line during Adventures and could have kept using it this year for CTG if we had decided to. This year we are using the cardstock-foldable type of timeline but only because after looking at that wall for 4 years my boys were not really paying attention to it, so I wanted each child to make his own timeline.
Married to my wonderful husband for 19 years
Blessed with 2 great boys, ages 11 and 9
Have completed MFW K, MFW 1st, Adv, ECC,CTG
2013-2014 RTR

Brendainnj

Unread post by Brendainnj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Ok, thanks everyone; I feel better now! Since I don't have to add any more to it I'll just stick up a straight line of painter's tape. I do like the idea of the accordion style with the cardstock--that will definitely work out better in later years with more stuff to add to it!
~Brenda~

Mom to: Jadyn, Amber, Adam
MFW K 2011-2012
MFW 1st 2012-2013
Adventures 2013-2014