Schedule - Can I change it around?

Learning God's Story
Jenn in NC

Schedule - Can I change it around?

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Can I move Exploration Day to a different day?
mrs_mike98 wrote:I'm currently using Adventures and 1st together. I wanted our Exploration Days to be on Friday with Adventures. But that leaves us switching memory verses mid-week (instead of starting with fresh ones Monday) and that is difficult. Does anyone have good suggestions for how to balance this out? Thanks!
Hi Erin! I use the Exploration Days on Friday too, because of wanting to "match" light and independent Friday's in CTG. (We just finished last Friday! Yea!)

What I did to make it work was to just skip the Exploration Day where it falls in the lesson plans, and use the next lesson for Wed. Then use what should be Friday for Thursday. Then on Friday back up and do Wed-Expl Day. Does that make any sense? I feel like I am being very confusing.

It goes like this in real life: Say you are on Day 58 (pg 95 in the TM). That is the first day for Proverbs 13:13, so that is a Monday. On Tuesday you do Day 59. On Wed in the TM it says Day 60 -- Exploration Day. Skip it and do Day 61 instead. On Thursday do Day 62. Then on Friday go back and do Day 60, Exploration Day.

Use those little flags to mark your two places -- one for the next day's lesson, one for the Wed. that you skipped. If they are different colors that will help. Or just rely on your memory to find the right spot. But I wouldn't advise that if you are almost 8 months pregnant like me :)
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:07 pm

We moved around our Exploration Day when we needed to, as well. Just like Jenn said - M/Day 53, T/Day 54, W/Day 56, TH/Day 57, F/Day 55.

I'm pretty sure Crystal told me once that she did the days in order and had the memory verse roll in the middle of the week with no trouble. I decided to keep things "a week at a time" when I could, because some weeks I needed Tuesday to be the light day, some weeks Friday . . . It really didn't hurt to move it around (or to play catch up and do two on one day . . . shhh)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Hello! The memory verses do really go with the Bible stories and I would say to just keep them together. We have the same story here where most weeks we moved the days as described above. There were some times through the year when it somehow worked out because of a holiday or whatever to do the days in order, but when that didn't happen it wasn't a big deal for the memory verse to happen over part of one week and into the next.

Have fun with MFW 1st! (We will be starting Adventures in August!)
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

LoveBaby

Unread post by LoveBaby » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:05 pm

I used the grid in the yellow math pages to use as my guide for our week. It lists the days (8,9 etc.) along the top of the grid. I would just glance at that and know that we would do day 8 on Monday, day 9 on tuesday, day 11 on wednesday, day 12 on thursday and day 10 (exploration day) on Friday. That way the memory verses still start on Monday, the math still starts on Monday...you are just swapping wednesday and friday activities. It worked really well for us and meant I wasn't switching back and forth all week. we actually did our exploration day on tuesdays but the idea is the same.
Jesse, homeschoolin' helpmeet just trying to do the Lords will! Starting MFW 1st and CtG 9/12!

cbollin

MFW-1 Exploration Day on Friday

Unread post by cbollin » Tue May 18, 2010 6:55 pm

SilverSwanMama wrote:Hi,

I'm starting MFW1 in a couple weeks with DD. We just finished MFWK and loved it. So I am trying to get my mind around a general plan/schedule. I'd really like to do Exploration Day on Fridays, but I can't seem to grasp how to make it all work where we are starting the memory verse on Monday and finishing it on Friday. Can I just start with Day 1 on a Monday and let the verses come as they do, or does that not work? I probably sound totally confused and am making this harder than it is! Expecting baby #4 in June, so I have pregnancy brain right now! Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks so much,
Jennifer
The first time I did MFW 1st grade, I did it that way. It was ok. I didn't worry about when the verses happened.

I was doing RTR at the same time and wanted both days to have their lighter day on the same day. worked ok for me. I don't remember specifics as it's been five years.

-crystal

Amy in NC

Re: MFW-1 Exploration Day on Friday

Unread post by Amy in NC » Tue May 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Jennifer,

I did a similar thing several years ago with MFW1. I'll try to explain it without totally confusing you. And I don't have the manual in front of me, so I apologize if I mess it up.

OK, if you begin your year on Thursday, like suggested, you will get a new verse on Monday every week. Then Exploration Day will be day 5 and follow every 'multiple of 5' day thereafter, ie 5,10,15,20... Are you confused yet? Now you skip day 5, do day 6 and 7, then return to day 5 on Friday. So your first full week would be days 3,4,6,7,and 5. The next week you'll do 8,9,11,12,and 10. If I remember right, the Monday lessons have the new Bible verse and a prompt to begin the new science material. So this would keep it more in line with the weekly focus, IF you aren't so confused that you want to beat your head into the wall. ;)

HTH

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

SilverSwanMama

Unread post by SilverSwanMama » Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Amy, that really helps me to "picture" it. I think that's what I'll end up doing. I probably need to go through the TM and make notes as to what day I'm doing what day! Sounds crazy! At least for the first few weeks until I get in the swing. It's those 2 random days at the beginning that were throwing me. I just like to start on Mondays. I'm such a creature of habit!

Thanks again! Any other input is appreciated.
Jennifer
Wife to Sweet DH (10 years)
Mommy to DD (6), DD (4), DS (2), DD (due June 15, 2010)
Completed MFWK
Currently doing MFW1 and MFW Preschool

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue May 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Amy,

You just gave me an aha! moment. I was wanting to do the same thing and make exploration day on Friday as well but I couldn't figure it out either. Now it seems so obvious.

Thanks, (and I didn't even ask.) :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Caryn

Unread post by Caryn » Wed May 19, 2010 7:41 am

Really easy to do this... it doesn't mess you up at all. Just switch Wednesday and Friday :)
Caryn
==============================================
dd9, ds8, and ds3 (Speech therapy and pre-k)
Pre-k (twice), K (twice), 1st (twice), Adventures, ECC and currently CtG
My blog: Considering Wildflowers

SimplyKim8

Unread post by SimplyKim8 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:30 pm

I was wondering the same thing! Thanks so much. :)
Kim: married to DH since 2000,
mama of two spunky boys, 6 & 3.
Lil' Pumpkin due Nov. - It's a girl!
(Starting MFW 1st this fall.)

DaniWestRN

Unread post by DaniWestRN » Fri May 28, 2010 1:45 pm

I was wondering this too! Thanks for the idea!
Danielle, Mommy to DD#1- 3rd/ECC, DS#1 -2nd/ECC, DD#2- K, DS#2- pre-K, and DD#3- learning to toddle

beaglemamma2008

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Sat May 29, 2010 12:30 am

Hi everyone! We're 8 days away from completing MFW 1, and we also skipped over our Wednesday Exploration Days and came back to them on Fridays. One other scheduling-type thing that I found helpful was to pencil in Music on the days you plan to do it. It isn't written in the teacher's manual, and I would inevitably forget to include it in our week until I went through my manual and wrote it at the bottom of each Monday's lesson plan. Hope you all have a wonderful year next year!
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

Yodergoat

Order of your day... can it be random with 1st?

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 am

Hey everyone! My MFW1 stuff is boxed away in storage until closer to time, so I can't easily look at it and see to help myself answer this question. But I know you helpful folks will have some great advice!

I read somewhere... can't recall where... about a mom who wrote each subject for the day on a slip of paper (along with a few
just-for-fun things) and put these in a jar. The child then drew a slip from the jar and that is what they did. Might be science, might be calendar, might be phonics, might be eat candy, might be play a math game. The day was done when the jar was empty.

I can see that this might cut down on any complaining or whining that might come along, making the jar the "bad guy" instead of me if it says to do math or whatever. And something about this less ordered kind of day appeals to me in a strange way, mayhap even making me feel more accountable to have everything ready to go and less apt to sort of skip a subject. :~ It is less ORDERED but everything is THERE, know what I mean? I can see it adding an element of fun and surprise, especially if my child doesn't know I put in a slip that particular day that says "Momma will push you on the swing for 5 minutes" or something like that. My daughter loves surprises and such, and I know this idea would absolutely delight her.

Does anyone do this? Is it even appropriate with First, or does the day need to be more ordered due to the lessons? I was thinking about the Bible reader and how it needs to come after the phonics because the phonics for the day might be used in the Bible account she will be reading. But I can't remember if the Bible reader was scheduled along with phonics anyway!

I can see a possible pitfall in that we might be doing some sort of quiet seatwork and all is going well, then the next subject drawn from the jar is a craft project or science experiment and I have to clear the table and prep it for the activity. Now, I usually use these prep times as a "break" for Gail anyway, as in, "We're going to do a fun activity in a few minutes, but while I get it ready you can run around outside with the dogs (or feed the cats or eat a snack or whatever will take a few minutes but isn't school
related) until I call you." I guess that could still work.

Anyway, is this a crazy idea for First?
Last edited by Yodergoat on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Cyndi (AZ)

Order of your day... can it be random with 1st?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 am

Yodergoat wrote:Hey everyone! My MFW1 stuff is boxed away in storage until closer to time, so I can't easily look at it and see to help myself answer this question. But I know you helpful folks will have some great advice!

I read somewhere... can't recall where... about a mom who wrote each subject for the day on a slip of paper (along with a few just-for-fun things) and put these in a jar. The child then drew a slip from the jar and that is what they did. Might be science, might be calendar, might be phonics, might be eat candy, might be play a math game. The day was done when the jar was empty.

I can see that this might cut down on any complaining or whining that might come along, making the jar the "bad guy" instead of me if it says to do math or whatever. And something about this less ordered kind of day appeals to me in a strange way, mayhap even making me feel more accountable to have everything ready to go and less apt to sort of skip a subject. :~ It is less ORDERED but everything is THERE, know what I mean? I can see it adding an element of fun and surprise, especially if my child doesn't know I put in a slip that particular day that says "Momma will push you on the swing for 5 minutes" or something like that. My daughter loves surprises and such, and I know this idea would absolutely delight her.

Does anyone do this? Is it even appropriate with First, or does the day need to be more ordered due to the lessons? I was thinking about the Bible reader and how it needs to come after the phonics because the phonics for the day might be used in the Bible account she will be reading. But I can't remember if the Bible reader was scheduled along with phonics anyway!

I can see a possible pitfall in that we might be doing some sort of quiet seatwork and all is going well, then the next subject drawn from the jar is a craft project or science experiment and I have to clear the table and prep it for the activity. Now, I usually use these prep times as a "break" for Gail anyway, as in, "We're going to do a fun activity in a few minutes, but while I get it ready you can run around outside with the dogs (or feed the cats or eat a snack or whatever will take a few minutes but isn't school related) until I call you." I guess that could still work.

Anyway, is this a crazy idea for First?
well . . . I'm not sure.

You could have headings like Bible, Reading, Math, Science, Activity -- following the headings in the TM, but it is necessary to do Bible before Reading on certain days because of the Bible Reader and Notebook. You could pull out Proverbs and do that separately from Bible? Plus, you have great picture books for Math Lit and Science Lit.

I'm more of a routine-oriented person and like doing things in the order of the TM with breaks as needed. I'm having a blast flipping through my old MFW1 manual. You're in for a great year!

eta: Having a jar for the different Math Games and Activities would be great! It would also be a great reminder to *do* them. :-)

[ Editor's note: This may be the post about drawing a slip of paper:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 669#p31669 ]
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Yodergoat

Re: Order of your day... can it be random with 1st?

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 am

Oh, yeah, I meant to add that we would ALWAYS start with Bible and prayer. If we don't do that, well... whole day feels weird! Especially the prayer part! ;) I was already thinking that the Proverbs work could be done at a different time from the rest of that day's Bible.

So I guess subjects to be done randomly would be:

reading
math
science (we will have it every day because we are total 8] for science)
Proverbs
calendar (want to do this apart from Math)
activity (whatever it might be)

and on certain days put in:

art
music
pattern blocks
work on AWANA verses
learn a hymn

I'm thinking also about just-for-fun headings that would not be daily, like:

read a book that Gail chooses
make a fun snack related to school
candy!
swing five minutes
jump on trampolene five minutes
play with guinea pig
play several rounds of Rock, Paper, Scissors
play Bird Bingo
play a short board game
listen to one episode of "The Pond" radio show (we have a CD)
...any other fun thing Gail would want to do any time, but which is made more fun because it is during school!

You get the idea.
I'm Shawna...

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 pm

We did 1st this year. I think it would work, and it sounds like fun! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 pm

We don't use a jar, but I LOVE that idea! Thank you! That said, I do allow my girls to choose the order of each day, after we start with scripture and prayer. We have a rhythm to when we have natural breaks and we always try to finish "school" by lunch, yet we do extra science after lunch while the little boys nap. My girls really enjoy the freedom to have some say in the flow of the day. We have a craft area so those things are always out anyway so set up and clean up are just part of the fun, er, deal. :)

Great idea. Thank you!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:07 am

We don't use a jar, but we do something similar.

I put all the books out for the day on top of the cupboard that they are in (kid height). I line them all up for both boys. Then I let them choose the books as we go; when they finish one it goes back in the cupboard. So anytime they walk into the room they can easily see how much is left. Some days they want me to choose as we go, and I do. We take a natural break around mid-morning. Then we break for lunch when dd3 goes down for nap (she eats first). The one thing I don't put in the pile though is 'hands on activity' or 'science experiment'. Those are in the TM on the kitchen counter and we do them last, after everything else is finished.

Yes, I definitely think it could work for first. My ds6 is doing first right now.

The student note book is scheduled on opposite days of the Read the Bible Story/Bible reader/Bible note book. You might want on one slip of paper for Bible note book days a slip that says, "Mom reads the Bible story, dd reads the Bible story from the reader, Bible note book."

I think of our home schooling, and parenting, as freedom within boundaries. Scheduled, but flexibility (like the order subjects are done) within the schedule. Enjoy! MFW1 is still my favorite MFW program of the ones we have done.

robertb10502

Unread post by robertb10502 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:38 pm

We did this for awhile... My son loved it. The way things fell never was a problem for us.
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the input! I think we will do it! Seems like it will help with possible attitude issues... both hers AND mine!

I thrive on randomness, as long as it is scheduled, planned randomness. ;)
I'm Shawna...