Prep & Organization - Box Day helpful hints

Learning God's Story
lea_lpz

Re: Box Day-Ready to start tearing into Learning God's Story

Unread post by lea_lpz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

One thing I am doing is re-readings copy of For the Sake of the Children. I want to read through all the materials before school starts. So far I've read the teacher Manual's intro & appendix. I'd like to read through all the lessons, Honey for a Child's Heart, and the art book this summer.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

CaseyVG

Unread post by CaseyVG » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Box day is so fun!

I found that the best way to keep the student sheets was to just keep them in one manilla folder on my shelf, in order. Then I just pulled the next one out when we needed it. I also laminated the reading chart, but not the bible books list, my kids filled in the bubbles as we read them. I also found a great way to memorize the Proverbs, here my blog post about how I organized for our school year this year, the Proverbs box is on the bottom with the link. http://simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com/2 ... -2012.html.

I think I am also going to reread For the Sake of the Children, I think I will understand it more now that my kids are a bit older and I have a bit of experience. We'll be heading into Adventures this next year (and K), and I'm really excited! I love how much I learn along with my kids! I hope you have a wonderful summer!

Casey
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 am

Things I second or third....

Laminate the reading chart and books of the Bible list
Copy the number of the day and other math pages
Keep student sheets in file folder near where you work

Other suggestions (or things I possibly missed in other people's posts)...

Read and prepare for Drawing with Children if you are doing it.
Possibly cut out all the time line pieces (I didn't, but you could...I did it one sheet at a time as we went along.)
Look through the book list and check what your library has and mark (very lightly if you are like me and want to erase later) the ones they have for later
Read Honey For a Child's Heart and check your library for which books they have in those book lists too

I didn't do much prep other than the first list. I didn't find that I needed to. For the Bible Notebook, my son was very happy to just use colored pencils, but if you want variety, you could gather stickers and such for it. I also did not have my child color the time line pieces ahead of time. That is certainly a option to think about, but my son loved coloring it after just learning about it. The time line is one of have favorite things about the program. I don't think it would have had the same impact if he'd colored it ahead and I just pulled it out and stuck it up (ours is up high). It was a way to help him "own" the project.....but, that was us. I can definitely see it saving time to have it done ahead of time. If I'd done it ahead of time, I would have laminated the pieces. :-)

Personally, we school year round...so...I like the idea of doing 3 days over the summer to get ahead. :)

ETA - Congrats!! I love Box Day!! We just got our Adv in the mail and I'm chomping at the bit to start now. We have 20 days left in MFW 1st! Adventures, here we come!! Woo Hoo!!!! (I LOVED 1st and so did my son. He is still loving it and even told me today that he doesn't think 2nd will be as much fun as first. He has really love, LOVED It! I'm fine, but ready to move to the next thing. :-))
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

jhagberg

Unread post by jhagberg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:He is still loving it and even told me today that he doesn't think 2nd will be as much fun as first. He has really love, LOVED It!
Ha ha! That is exactly how we felt when we were finishing Adventures: "Next year won't be as much fun as this..." I'm happy to say that every year has been much loved. Thank you, MFW, for a wonderful learning experience year after year! :)
Joyce

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 pm

jhagberg wrote:
Mom2theteam wrote:He is still loving it and even told me today that he doesn't think 2nd will be as much fun as first. He has really love, LOVED It!
Ha ha! That is exactly how we felt when we were finishing Adventures: "Next year won't be as much fun as this..." I'm happy to say that every year has been much loved. Thank you, MFW, for a wonderful learning experience year after year! :)
This made me smile. :-) Everything I've read from other people say it is a really fun year. I'm looking forward to experiencing it. I did tell my son a few things we would be doing to help get him pumped up. He liked the idea of making a wigwam. I also decided to move our 1st timeline a little so we can just add onto it because he was really unhappy thinking we were going to take it down since he thinks it is "the best thing ever!" (Ours isn't really long enough where it is to add much to it. So, I'm going to make it turn 2 corners and it should be fine...though, he isn't very happy about doing that either...but it's better than taking it down.)

Anyway, thanks for saying that!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Julie in MN

White Board

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:47 pm

mtmom9107 wrote:I'm starting to get last year's school cleaned up and get ready for school to start this fall! So exciting! I love organizing!

I'm wondering if anyone that's currently using or has used Learning God's Story has found a white board to be useful. I don't have one up in my "school room" yet, but can finagle things to fit one in. I'm sure it is very useful as my kids get older, just wondering if I should put it off, or if should just do it if people think it would be helpful. Thank you!
Hi Laura,
I have only done MFW-1st part-time with my grandson, but your post looked lonely so I thought I'd chat.

We used white boards a LOT over the years. When my dd didn't know what to write, we'd brainstorm on there. When my ds didn't want to write, he somehow didn't mind doing math or English on the marker board.

The Hazells also used a marker board to help kids get their independent tasks done. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 300#p46300

So, the investment might pay off even if you don't end up using it a ton in 1st grade?

Here are some posts about classroom set-up, and some of them include white boards, but I'm not sure whether they include conversation about their usefulness :) http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3714

Have fun getting all ready,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Re: White Board

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:10 pm

We put up a white board last year. We used it a lot. Our girls are older (13 & 10 yrs.), so we did a lot of math, grammar and history facts on it.

We use our small white board often, too, for little things (a difficult math problem together, etc).

Enjoy white-boarding! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Dry erase markers also work on windows... So, if you have a window...
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

mtmom9107

Unread post by mtmom9107 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Thanks everyone! I do think i'll start to look for a whiteboard. The more I look at things it really looks like we could put it to good use. :)
Laura

Wife to my darling Jeramy for 8 years
Mommy to:
Josie~age 7 ~ Currently using: Learning God's Story.
Eva~age 4 ~ Currently using: Sonlight P4/5, Rod and Staff workbooks.
Judah~22 months
Baby girl coming early November, 2015

kw4blessings

How to organize learning God's story - first grade

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:44 pm

RebekahA wrote:In the kindergarten program there were some very helpful tips on how to organize the student sheets as well as advice to laminate frequently used items and those were listed.

Upon receiving the first grade package I felt a bit at a loss as to organizing this curriculum. I haven't had a thorough look through the teachers manual yet but upon browsing the "directions" I didn't see anything suggested to be laminated or put into folders as in the kindergarten program.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to organize the student sheets or is this even needed? Are there any frequently used items that would benefit from being laminated to preserve them? Thanks for your thoughts!
Hi Rebekah,
I can tell you what we've done. I went through first grade for the second time this past year and figured out an organization system that worked well for us.

First, I took all of the sheets out that we used throughout the year, i.e. reading chart, expanded number cards, 100 chart etc. and either cut them apart and ziploc bagged them, or 3 hole punched and reinforced and put in a 3 ring binder. With all of the other student sheets, I organized them in a hanging file folder, with a separate folder for each week. Each day, as papers were needed, I would pull them out of the folder. Once my son completed them, I organized according to what they were....

All of the little booklets, I put in a page protector in the 3 ring binder. The proverb pages got filed in page protectors in a folder with three brads that was specifically for Proverbs. All the other sheets I filed in the binder. I put dividers in for math, Bible, and other (art/music/science). You could really divide it any way. I did find that math was our most full section because I would add all of his Complete Book of Math pages here as well. Also, we didn't have wall space for the timeline this year, so I taped cardstock together in accordion style and put that in the back folder of the binder.

Enjoy! LGS is my favorite MFW year so far. There is just something so special about all of the Bible stories and that being the basis of the child learning to read. It's amazing.
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

mtmom9107

Re: How to organize learning God's story - first grade

Unread post by mtmom9107 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm just getting ready to do Learning God's Story for the first time so i'm as interested as you in how to organize it! So far this is what i've done:
1. I put all my student sheets in a 1" binder. I didn't take the time to 3-hole punch all of them. I put page protectors in and put 2 weeks of student sheets in each page protector. I'll just pull them out as needed.
2. In the "student sheets binder", in the back pocket I put the timeline pieces. In my perusing I don't think they are used for a few weeks of student sheets into the program at least.
3. I will put the entire pattern animals book in a 1/2" binder in page protectors. I'll then slip the cover into the front sleeve of the binder. I did this last year with the Cuiesarenaire Rod Alphabet Book and it worked really well. Just pull out the page as needed and they stay really nice as they are in page protectors and you don't have to deal with holding the book flat to use the pattern blocks.
4. I was trying to figure out how to keep good records without writing in the TM, since I will be using this program as least 3 more times. In reading the Copyright it says that if you retain ownership of the TM, you are allowed to copy only the page with the grid lesson plan chart (no notes pages). So I did this for each week and this way I can write the student's name at the top, I can check things off as we go. and I can write in our read alouds, math activities and CBM pages as I go. And i'm keeping my TM clean for subsequent uses! As weeks are completed I plan to put them in a folder to save for records.
5. I haven't figured out yet if I will be tearing pages out of the CBM and what I will do with them if I do. I think I would like to tear them out as we go since a. the whole writing on a flat surface thing. and b. my dd that will be doing this is highly distractable. So if anyone reading this has any advise...
6. In reading other threads I found that it's helpful to laminate the "number of the day" page and the "reading chart". These are both found in the student pages and are both on cardstock.
7. I'm still trying to figure out the "math notebook" that I keep seeing in really old posts. I did find and print a free calendar online to put in a 1/2" binder, along with the 100 chart. But i'm not sure what else would be helpful in there.

So this is where i'm at. I hope it's helpful to you!
Laura

Wife to my darling Jeramy for 8 years
Mommy to:
Josie~age 7 ~ Currently using: Learning God's Story.
Eva~age 4 ~ Currently using: Sonlight P4/5, Rod and Staff workbooks.
Judah~22 months
Baby girl coming early November, 2015