Choosing 1st vs. Adventures

Learning God's Story
Mom2theteam

Re: Need character building, afraid I messed up

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:29 pm

I echo what everyone else said. I just wanted to add that you should consider saving your Adv to start again after you finish 1st. If you start again, it won't hurt anything. The first few weeks will be review, but that is very common in school. You can dig a little deeper and pick your own read aloud.

MFW 1st is great! I really, really love it. I was also super excited about the American history included Adv. It was fun. But, 1st really is great too. All the MFW years are fun, in their own way. :)

As I said, I love 1st, but just be prepared that it does take a little time to ramp up. You may feel you are stepping back for the first several weeks, because you are. But, it ramps up and is really good. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:49 pm

If it's not a financial burden, then go for it; shelf ADV and start 1st. You could even just break now and just have her practice reading and do some math games until your curriculum arrives and your set up. Think of it as a "fall break".

1st is challenging and a lot of fun. I loved the Bible reader and notebook, the math lit and math activities and the science. Great year but not as long and with your littles ones you might find a shorter day is what you need right now.

Also the character and Bible lessons from k & 1st have been excellent! I've used them so much as gentle reminders (and ok sometimes not so gentle reminders) about manners, showing respect and serving others.

You'll have a great year and she'll be ready for ADV next year. From experience, I can tell you, it's much more fun to do a curriculum your child's ready for then dragging along and not getting to do the fun stuff you were looking forward to.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Mom2theteam wrote: As I said, I love 1st, but just be prepared that it does take a little time to ramp up. You may feel you are stepping back for the first several weeks, because you are. But, it ramps up and is really good. :-)
Just ditto-ing that. :)

And love lea_lpz's last comment, too - Schooling is so much more fun, and productive, when the student's ready. ... Thanks for the great reminder!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Appie

Unread post by Appie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:47 pm

You, ladies are amazing. Every one of you. Thank you for the encouragement, support and the grace. I especially liked the advice from Julie "One wise convention speaker, in my early homeschooling days, advised fathers especially to budget in an amount for "new homeschooler mistakes" - a professional expense :) ". I am planning to pass that info along to my hubby! We can afford it, we waste money on much less important things.

We will for sure switch asap after I get the ok and look forward to Adventures again next year. Glad to know some of you don't even start until now. I am eternally grateful for all of the advice. You ladies have made me feel much less incompetent and I needed that before talking to my husband about it.

If all of you enjoyed first grade that much I know we are going to love it. I am so excited to get started!
Mother to three precious daughters.
Ruby is 6
Carra is 2
Baby Iris is 11months