Choosing 1st vs. Adventures

Learning God's Story
shaffer96

Re: Adventures for 1st grade???

Unread post by shaffer96 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:36 pm

Wow, thank you for all of the great information! I read all of the responses and then called the My Father's World office today. They confirmed what you were all saying. I think my dd could do the program this year, but I think she will get so much more out of it when she is in 2nd grade. She will also be much more ready for the longer school day that Adventures requires. We are going to wait to do Adventures so she can be up to speed on all of the reading and writing and be able to do the program on a 2nd grade level. I am already looking forward to starting 1st grade now and I can't wait to order the package. I think it is going to be a wonderful year learning about the stories of the Bible and I am excited for her to read and illustrate her Bible Reader!

Editor's Note: Follow-up, Adventures the next year http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 654#p90654

IdahoGrown

ADV at not-quite-6?

Unread post by IdahoGrown » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:23 pm

TXBeth wrote:My DD has a November birthday, so if she were in public school, this year would be Pre-K. However, since we did a full Kindergarten program last year (Abeka K5), we moved on to first grade this year (although we say she is in Kindergarten, just happens to be doing 1st grade material). We have also used Abeka this year, although I stopped the math a couple weeks ago and switched to Singapore 1A. We have been doing Hey, Andrew 1 and science and history with library books.

I don't know that she is necessarily "gifted"; she is bright, and she started reading early, so she is advanced right now, but it may be that 2nd and 3rd grade materials will take us 3 years, and I am fine with that. We aren't trying to rush. She is very familiar with all the phonics rules (thanks, Abeka), and reads on a late-second to third grade reading level. Her writing is probably 1st grade level, lower if she has to write it herself, higher if she dictates to me.

Now that we are back in the U.S. and I have been able to do more research, we are changing our approach. I love Abeka's phonics program, but I hate all the busy work and it just seems dry compared to lit-based programs. Then I discovered MFW and was hooked! Adventures is everything I wanted for her this year, and I really think she will do well in it. Plus she really, really wants to study American history and all the states. But...that sets us up to do ECC with a 6-turning-7 year old the year after. Is that crazy?

Would you go ahead with Adventures, which seems to be a perfect fit, and worry about the next year when you get there? Or would you go back to MFW 1. I love the look of the Bible notebook, but honestly I think she would be bored by what I have seen of the rest of the books. I could supplement, but then that takes away from the "open-and-go" that I was really looking forward to easing into this different no-textbook approach.

I know I've been rambling, so thanks to anyone who has made it this far. Any advice is appreciated. I can't promise I'll follow it, but I'd love the input!
Hmmm...maybe you could use Adventures over a 2 year period? There are tons and tons of really great books to add to Adventures. There are History Pocket activity books that would go nicely with it...you could throw in some lapbooks at various intervals...extra read alouds etc.

I think if you were to try and do it in a year, it would get overwhelming for such a young student. Stretching it would give her an extra year to mature before moving into ECC.
Jean
Mom to dd 13 and ds 8
Hs'ing since 2004.
Using Adventures and RtR 2011-2012

Previous cores used: CtG 2010-2011

DS4home

Re: ADV at not-quite-6?

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:57 pm

Most people would recommend 1st grade at her age. But after reading your story, Adventures does seem to be the logical choice for you. Given your dd's age, you might consider stretching it out over 2 years. Have you been schooling every day these past couple of years, or a few times a week?

I know you are switching to a new style of teaching, and I think you will absolutely enjoy MFW! :-) You will want to enjoy the simplicity of the pick up and go that the TM gives you. So here are a couple of options: A - do Adventures every other day for 2 years, while doing math and LA daily. B - if you want to do history every day supplement Adventures. This could probably be done fairly easily using book basket. C - do Adventures every day but divide a day on the TM grid into 2 days, so it will take twice as long to complete.

Options A and C still give you the pick up and go ease of using the TM. Option B might be a little more work for you, and might not be something you want to try right off the bat.

I guess I'm really encouraging stretching Adv. out because I don't think you will want to be doing ECC with her a year from now. ECC is really a step up in length of school day and work level. As I am rolling this around in my head, I'm wondering what if you did a shortened version of 1st? Maybe you could do 1st in a semester with her, then move on to Adv. Another option possibly, as you try to think through the future with such a young one. :)

Welcome to MFW!

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

beaglemamma2008

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:58 am

Scattered thoughts here ... I'll try to get them all down before they disappear! :-)

Doing Adventures in 1st:
(1) There are some people who use Adventures with an advanced 1st grade student. (I actually have a bloggy friend who is doing it this year.) So yes, it can be done and can be done well! :)

(2) Yes, if you choose to use Adventures for 1st, it does set you up for ECC in 2nd. But with the exception of the oldest child in a family, everyone in 2nd grade jumps into the 5-year cycle wherever the rest of the family is, even if it's ECC. So there are other 2nd graders who do ECC.

Doing 1st in 1st:
(3) All that being said ... if it's your first and you don't HAVE to start her in ECC in 2nd, why not take the time to go through things a little more slowly? Do 1st, taking time to play all the math games so she learns that math is FUN STUFF!!! Take time to really work on spelling rules and make that handwriting neat. (Are you hearing a little "wish-I-woulda" in my voice??) ;)

(4) Crystal wrote a post a couple of years ago that made things "click" for me for the first time. She mentioned that 1st and 2nd grade is really a mini history cycle. They begin with creation and go through the beginning of the church age in 1st, then pick up with explorers and touch on highlights through the present day with Adventures. When I saw the big picture, I loved the MFW plan!

(5) But mostly, if you think her writing is on a 1st grade level (or below if she's writing alone), I would soooooo go with 1st grade! About halfway through or so, the kids start writing their own summary for the Bible story. It's one thing to narrate; summarizing is a totally different creature. I can't even begin to tell you how much easier dd's history notebook pages were in Adventures after having gone through 1st. (And honestly, there were days with tears in 1st when it came time to write, and we really had to work together to get it done, but in the end, it helped her writing significantly!)

Just another way of looking at things, but if I were you, I really would stick with 1st grade for 1st grade. But the best thing to do is to pray about it! He will give you peace about the plan that's best for her! :)
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I would do Adventures and stretch it out for 2 years. Add in field trips...join a co-op....take your time. I used www.homeschoolshare.com for extras with Adventures. They have lots of free lapbooks. I would just type in the subject and then see if something came up. I wouldn't read the recommended book but scroll through and grab what I needed. Once there was a cut out covered wagon that you put together. Another time, for science, they had a skeleton with the major bones labeled. I made an awesome Adventures notebook with help from there! I am doing ECC now (with a 2nd grader) because we have an older one. But if she were my only child...I would have stretched out Adventures.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:12 pm

beaglemamma2008 wrote: Doing 1st in 1st:
(3) All that being said ... if it's your first and you don't HAVE to start her in ECC in 2nd, why not take the time to go through things a little more slowly? Do 1st, taking time to play all the math games so she learns that math is FUN STUFF!!! Take time to really work on spelling rules and make that handwriting neat. (Are you hearing a little "wish-I-woulda" in my voice??) ;)

(4) Crystal wrote a post a couple of years ago that made things "click" for me for the first time. She mentioned that 1st and 2nd grade is really a mini history cycle. They begin with creation and go through the beginning of the church age in 1st, then pick up with explorers and touch on highlights through the present day with Adventures. When I saw the big picture, I loved the MFW plan!

(5) But mostly, if you think her writing is on a 1st grade level (or below if she's writing alone), I would soooooo go with 1st grade! About halfway through or so, the kids start writing their own summary for the Bible story. It's one thing to narrate; summarizing is a totally different creature. I can't even begin to tell you how much easier dd's history notebook pages were in Adventures after having gone through 1st. (And honestly, there were days with tears in 1st when it came time to write, and we really had to work together to get it done, but in the end, it helped her writing significantly!)
I like these ideas.

I went thru the 1st grade Proverbs (and handwriting) with an 8th grader, so that part doesn't seem too young :) And I think there's a lot to delve into when going thru the entire Bible with a young one. You can always add some of the 2nd grade math & language arts, if you find it necessary. But the better-late-than-early method has worked well in my family, so I may be biased :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TXBeth

Unread post by TXBeth » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks for the input so far! Great ideas on splitting it up. Even if we did the TM one day and just read a few book basket books together the next day, that would be fun, rich, and stretch it out a bit. I also want to add in some lapbooks, because although I am not the slightest bit crafty, Harmony is and she would love those.

This year for 1st grade, we have fallen into a pattern of 3-4 weeks on, then 1-2 weeks off, but since we started early we will probably still finish in May sometime, especially because she often wants to do more than one lesson in each subject. At the beginning of this year, I got stuck in the idea that she was "in first grade" and I felt like we had to stay on that course and move to second grade next year. Then one day it hit me that she's five years old; just let her go play! After 2 weeks off she was back to begging for school. That's also when we switched from saying she's in first grade to saying she is in Kindergarten (that's when we started AWANA and she went in the K class so it was an easy transition). I am really enjoying the process now of watching her pick up new things and explore ideas.

I did consider doing an abbreviated version of 1st and then Adventures, but honestly I just can't afford to buy more than one program for one school year. :( I really feel like we could have a great year next year with either one, but which would be best? I really, really love the Bible notebook. She would think the reader is "babyish," but we could read from Egermeier's or NIrV instead, right? But in that case, is there really any reason to buy the curriculum? If we do MFW 1, we will not use the language or math (except the pattern blocks, which would be a great intro to logic). I definitely have settled on other things for those subjects, and I am at peace with that. So should I just do those, put together my own Bible reading/notebooking schedule for history? If I don't buy a MFW program for her, I can afford to get the K for DS (just now starting to sound out words) and they could share that science? Then next year she could do ADV and maybe get more out of it.

But she has really been begging to study American history, which makes me want to get that for her and just use resources we have to continue basic phonics and numbers with DS. I guess I still have a lot of praying and thinking to do. :::sigh::: Convention is next month.
Beth

Harmony 11/05
Ian 9/07
Cadence 7/09

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:50 pm

TXBeth wrote: But in that case, is there really any reason to buy the curriculum? From what I've heard, the notebook is just pages that are half blank and half lines. I can make that on my own.
I'm not saying that 1st is your only option, but if you did 1st, it would be more than Bible. The specific Proverbs lessons taught are character lessons that are priceless, IMHO.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 am

TXBeth wrote:I know I've been rambling, so thanks to anyone who has made it this far. Any advice is appreciated. I can't promise I'll follow it, but I'd love the input!
I still like that last line there. I can’t promise I’ll follow it but I’d love the input. :)

With that said, I’d like to share my opinion and thoughts.

Sounds like money is part of the factor going into this decision. And you have more than one child to teach. That’s some of where my advice is coming from.

Go with MFW K for Ian. Let Harmony enjoy the science and Bible lessons from there and encourage her to be part of those lessons. They should be fun for her.
Encourage Harmony to enjoy library books on any topic she is interested in for history. What is it in US history that she really wants to study? Most 5 year old girls probably have an idea of what they want to know --- what was it like as a little girl when such and such was happening?

So, as crazy as this sounds, I’d go with MFW K as the base for Harmony and Ian. Let Harmony find some cool and interesting library books on history that she wants to know, or more about the state where you live. Have it be topical instead of a full chronological history approach. Look for craft books. Take field trips. Have her use the Bible truths in MFW K for character. Have her work more toward writing independently for some notebooking. I like the idea of letting her tell you stories and then you write them down. But also, try to have her write it down in beginning stages. She seems like a smart gal so let her know that she has to start writing skills at the beginning, and that means her story telling skills can be done out loud.

Start saving some money a bit. The next year when Ian is in 1st grade, go with MFW 1st (use the Proverbs for both Ian and Harmony) and get Adventures that year to do a more formal study of chronological history.

Postby cbollin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:50 pm
One other thing to add to challenge: service projects. Pray and ask the Lord to show you how to use her gifts and talents to serve Him now. One thing that my oldest (who is quite advanced academically) did at young ages, was to do read a thons and raise money for Bible translation through MFW's mission, God's Word for the Nations
http://www.gwftn.org/#projects
and she did mathathon to raise money for cancer research via st. jude children's research hospital.

and she learned to crochet and sold things through online auction to raise money for missionaries. Then, that inspired several people at our church to do crochet and knitting for eternal purpose. They joined in the auction. Some knitted and sewed blankets for homeless shelters.
all of that was from kids! Lots of the kids wanted something to do with their hands and minds while listening to sermons, and it grew from there.

So, start with that stuff too.
-crystal

Dusenkids

Unread post by Dusenkids » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 pm

I can’t tell you which program I would recommend because we are starting with MFW-K in the fall. That being said, I was a reading/elementary teacher before I decided to stay home and teach my own kids. I would recommend using the 1st so that you can really focus on her writing skills and the such. My theory, the stronger your basic skills are now, the easier the upper grades become. To cover her interest in history, fill her book basket with several non-fiction and biography easy-readers. Hopefully you have a wonderful library. Take it easy at first if you want her to read it herself. NF can be a bear with all of the names of people and places. And organization of NF is different than other stories. But that should keep her challenged and interested. If there is something in 1st that is really easy for her, review it and take the rest of the day to really dive into one of her favorite easy-readers! She will still get Adv/formal history the following year and it might be more enjoyable for her being more confidence in her skills. Just my two cents ;)
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:30 am

To me, the difficulty is not really going to be with doing Adventures with a not-quite-6 year old. I have a friend who did that this school year, and it went VERY well. The difficulty is going to be as you progress through the history cycle...will that not-quite-7 year old be ready for studying countries and cultures? The not-quite-8 ready to tackle ancient history? And so on.

I *totally* get having a precocious child who is "beyond" K and 1st - my 3rd child IS that child! At 2 she was saying "Mommy, when will you do kool (school) with ME?" And she was NOT satisfied with playdoh and puzzles either! I wound up doing MFW K with her at 4, and then a totally different K program with her at 5, just b/c I wanted her to mature a bit before folding her into the history cycle with her older siblings.

Can it be done? Sure. I've posted on this forum before that I added a 1st grader into RTR successfully, and that same precocious child did Years 4 and 5 of the cycle with her older siblings at 6 and 7 years old! *But* she came and went pretty much as she wanted to, and joined in on the "fun" and the read alouds, some of the science and some of the history. If she had been the oldest child, I wouldn't have done it that way for sure.

Hope that helps!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

TXBeth

Unread post by TXBeth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate the wisdom and experience I am able to tap into here. I'll plan on looking at the MFW table at convention, but I'm definitely leaning more towards 1st now. We can supplement with grammar and math at her own level, and I really think the chronological Bible study and the experience writing summaries will help her as we move on. And even though we would enjoy Adventures this year, she will get more out of it at 7 than at 6. I guess I still struggle more than I realized with her being "advanced," and I have to work on the whole "breadth v depth" thing. She is studying Greek and Spanish as well, so I think she has plenty of opportunity to challenge her brain. :)

The art and music in first also look more appropriate, since we haven't done anything yet. And she'll enjoy any type of science. And the pattern blocks will be wonderful. Why was I thinking of skipping this again?

705emily

Unread post by 705emily » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:32 am

Just wanted to share that my dd was sort of in the same boat as yours. She was reading well at 4. When I got to 1st--I was tempted to consider going straight to Adventures--but decided to go with first. I'm so glad we did. While it does start very gently--first picks up the pace quickly! The Bible summaries definitely are a great skill to develop--and--as someone else mentioned--a great pre-cursor to the history notebook. I did end up beefing up first grade--(used an Old Testament lap-book from Homeschool in the Woods), used a more advanced set of Bible Readers...etc. since the Bible Reader was too easy for her. But the main reason I'm so glad we went with first grade was the character-building emphasis of it! The proverbs memorization was great--as was the wonderful foundation that a simple Old/New Testament overview provided. It was a great backdrop to follow with Adventures--which we did--and then with ECC. You might also want to check out the math program that is included in the first grade MFW curriculum We loved that year of math.

Just my .02!

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

beaglemamma2008

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:11 am

705emily wrote:I did end up beefing up first grade--(used an Old Testament lap-book from Homeschool in the Woods), used a more advanced set of Bible Readers...etc. since the Bible Reader was too easy for her. But the main reason I'm so glad we went with first grade was the character-building emphasis of it!
Great idea to beef up the Bible reader. And yes, yes, yes to the character training. In our house, those verses were good for Mom, too! ;)

As for your daughter's desire to learn American history, you could always do a little Liberty's Kids, This is America Charlie Brown, or NEST Animated Heroes movies to expose her to some of the main events and people, then cover them more thoroughly next year in Adventures. (Those first two resources are available for free if you're a Netflix subscriber.) Or you could read the Little House books that aren't scheduled next year (On the Banks of Plum Creek and Farmer Boy are scheduled). Dd has also enjoyed a series of books called Blast to the Past that is written at an appropriate second-grade level. (There are titles for Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Betsy Ross, Pocahontas, Abraham Lincoln, Alexander Bell, and Martin Luther King Jr.) Or the Magic Tree House books that cover American history, depending on your feelings about those books. I haven't read all of them but haven't found anything disturbing in the ones I have read. Some relevant titles include Viking Ships at Sunrise, Revolutionary War on Wednesday, and Civil War on Sunday. There may be more; those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.

Just some suggestions in case she's a bear about wanting to study American history. ;) But even if you decide to hold off on all the history for a year and just enjoy first as it is written, you will be blessed!! :)
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 am

TXBeth wrote:Plus she really, really wants to study American history and all the states.
I would go with her interest of really wanting to study American History and all of the states. I have learned that when I have put off the interest until the correct age that by the time we reach the age the material can be too easy and boring that before would have been intriguing and interesting. We lost some great science opportunities this way.

I would go ahead with ADV, which seems to be a perfect fit, and worry about the next year when you get there.

One year at a time, and teaching to what they need, can work.

MelissaM

1st or Adv for 1st grade?

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:09 am

overseasmommy wrote:I've been reading lots of info and asking for lots of advice about my situation. I'm currently homechooling my son in K right now. I just learned about MFW and I'm very interested in it. I also have a 3yr daughter and baby girl. MFW meets a lot of my criteria for curriculum. My son is learning to read now, so the MFW 1st looks kind of easy to me. But he is a young Kindergartner (Sept birthday) , so jumping ahead to Adv seems too fast. But, on the other hand, I don't want him to be bored. September is a long time from now , and I would assume that he would be reading a lot better by then. But as for writing, I'm just teaching him how to write the letters and some copywork, but no narrations.

So would it be too fast to jump into Adv next year?
Does anyone ever supplement MFW with a reading/phonics program?

Thanks !
I do not think he would be bored in 1st grade. There is a lot of writing, and there is a lot of great content, even if he already knows how to read. You can use the phonics lessons as spelling lists instead, if he's that solid in reading skills.

I personally (having an oldest with an Oct birthday, so she's young for her grade too) would not jump him to Adventures (though I personally haven't done Adventures, so I can't speak to that program specifically). I'm using 1st grade now with my middle child, and I would have definitely used it even if he'd been a fluent reader at the beginning of the year. I'm sorry, I haven't had enough sleep or caffeine to really articulate my reasons well yet - I hope someone else who has BTDT will chime in.

:)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

far above rubies

Re: 1st or Adv for 1st grade?

Unread post by far above rubies » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:26 am

Ah, we loved ADV. I was able to use it with all of my older children. My ker is an "older Ker" as her birthday is in Sept. and I went ahead and waited until this year.

When we did ADV, my then 3rd grader, 1st grader, and 5 year old were all able to participate. They all learned and enjoyed the material. However, while they all got something out of it, I wouldn't have used it until my oldest was in 2nd or 3rd grade (I would even say 3rd grade). If I started ADV with my 2nd grader, I would've made it into a 2 year program.

Each child is different, of course, but there's more writing and such, as well as reading. For my own children, I wouldn't skip ahead just yet. I would stay with 1st grade and get those reading and writing skills cemented first. :)
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

robertb10502

Unread post by robertb10502 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:33 am

There is so much great stuff in 1st I don't think he would be bored. I have one in 1st and 1 in Adventures now and I think 1st is a great year that I wouldn't want to miss. The Bible notebook would be great writing practice and the Bible reader would be good to practice even if he is a good reader. My 2nd grader still goes back and reads his. I had a friend that did 1st with a child that could read. She was glad she did first and didn't skip ahead. It gave him time to work on his handwriting and to go through the Bible. That's just my 2 cents :)
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:52 pm

I did ADV for January - July of the last 2/3 of ds 1st grade year; he was at the old end of 1st grade. It put us into ECC, at the beginning of 2nd grade. It was too early. He was a good reader and so did MFW1 for the 2nd part of K and 1st part of 1st. ECC came too early, very evident this past September, and so I am actually using a different program this year for 2nd grade. I would stick with MFW1 for 1st.

The note booking in MFW1 is plenty of writing practice that will continue moving your son forward. Narration will move him into first grade skills for later writing. The phonics can help with spelling. The Bible History is invaluable. The science will be age appropriate. He won't be bored since it will be age appropriate. The hands on activities will be fun (I can not believe I am saying this! ;) ). If he is reading that well you can do the Bible reader for fun and then add in readers at his reading level. My oldest was reading many readers during the last 1/2 of MFW1 that were much beyond 1st/2nd grade reading. The note book writing will be the challenge area for 1st grade. Skills will continue. My 1st grader was advanced for math too, so we just continued in Singapore at his level; although I do hear that people love the MFW1 math in the program. The drawing was wonderful for us.

blessings,

Wonderobyn

Unread post by Wonderobyn » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:22 pm

We are doing MFW 1st this year. DS can read at a 4th or 5th grade level, but 1st has been great for him. I use the new word lists as spelling tests and he is getting lots of the writing practice that he needs to refine his writing skills. I recently added my own games with sentences since most of the games are too easy for him. I type 7 or 8 sentences in large font and make each sentence a different color. I print them out and cut each of them apart so there is just one word on each piece of paper. I put all the pieces into a bowl and mix them up. I give ds the bowl and instruct him to sort the words by color. After that he chooses one color at a time and has to put the sentences together. I did this mostly for his comprehension which is not at the level of his reading ability, but it has also helped greatly with understanding that a period goes at the end of the sentence (so whichever word has the period with it goes last) and a sentence always starts with an upper case letter (so the first word has to start with an upper case letter). He loves this game and even plays it on his own when we are not doing school. =)
Joy married to Glenn for 20 yrs
DS 6 (autism) PS PK-K Currently MFW 1st

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I could never say enough good things about MFW1. It is deceptively simple. So many times I read that moms fear it will be too easy, too much phonics review, too lite. It's not. It's really not, even if you have a fluent reader. The incremental experience with narration and copywork through the Bible stories, reader, phonics wb, and Bible nb is challenging and excellent preparation for Adventures. The Proverbs teach so much character and goodness to this budding age and it gave me a medium to polish my daughter's penmanship. The math will teach your child to think mathematically and through a variety of sources ... hands-on, manipulatives, worksheets, living books. Super. The science was not *my* favorite, but my daughter LOVED the experiments and keeping a little science notebook. The most beautiful part is that my daughter has a rooted understanding of Bible history in ways that most 6/7 year-olds don't have the deep pleasure of knowing. She loves Jesus and the Bible because of MFW. Without question, MFW ignites a desire to know God and shine like Jesus.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

MuzzaBunny

Placement help

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:19 am

meltmiller wrote:I don't know which to use...MFW 1 or adventures. We started K this year and dd was bored. We just started doing the basics...reading, writing and math. Not much fun but it works. Next year I don't want to be bored again, but I also don't want to push too hard. She reads pretty well, doesn't really like it and but she can do it. So I guess my question is should I stick with first or go on to adventures? I will hopefully get to see both at convention this weekend, but wanted to get some input from here. Thanks so much for your help!
Melinda
How old is dd? Mine was newly 6 when we began 1st and it gave a brief K review, then ramped up quickly. She's never expressed boredom though she's become a great reader through the program, easily reading 3rd grade level - just as MFW said she would. The math was sometimes easy, but overteaching math is a good thing. At the end now, it can be tough - telling time, 3 digit subtraction, fractions and I'm glad for the very solid base she acquired earlier on. There's a good amount of writing in 1st (you have some control over how much you require) and it's been very good preparation for higher grades and has vastly improved her penmanship. I don't think I'd recommend skipping first, because it's such a wonderful program and will produce such excellent results, but that depends a lot on age and if there are siblings to consider. Do you have specific questions I could help with?
Bunny

jasntas

Re: Placement help

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:55 am

MFW K is pretty easy. I believe it is meant to ease the student into shool in a very fun way. MFW 1st really ramps it up. And I belive the phonics instruction in 1st is two year's worth of phonics in other programs. Many students even take 1 1/2 to 2 years to complete it, many do not. It depends on the student. I would not skip 1st. HTH and I hope you get many other responses as well.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

meltmiller

Unread post by meltmiller » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Dd will be 7 early September. That helps alot. Thank you for your help.

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm

My son turned 7 in Oct when we started 1st this year. He has not been bored. He really, really enjoyed it. He tells me all the time that we can't take down his timeline from this year. He loves it too much. We have to put the one for Adv above it. :-) It's been a really wonderful year.

It is very different from K and much faster paced.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along