Choosing 1st grade for an advanced reader

Learning God's Story
cbollin

Choosing 1st grade for an advanced reader

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:14 pm

4littlehearts wrote:Would this work? I love the Bible emphasis but do not know if my dd will be challenged in the reading department. Any reassurances? She is reading words with sounds she has never even learned yet. She is no genious, she is just an older Kindergartener. She will be 7 in late Sept., starting 1st grade. In maturity, she is not ready for Adventures yet, the content of MFW 1st grade would suit her, just concerned about the reading aspect.
I think it would be fine as my middle gal was ahead of the phonics curve. We just turned it into spelling lessons and let her read more library books. The rest of the program was fine -- language arts in composition, copywork, etc. And then some of the phonics section had language arts/spelling rules. So we did fine with it with an ahead of the program in reading child because on everything else (math, composition, Bible learning etc..... she was fine. With a child who is turning 7 in september... should work especially since you can invite her to join in family fun activities in the 5 year cycle.

site note.....
Children who are in 2nd grade and have older siblings in the 5 year cycle program -- don't have to do ADV. They get folded into the older program and do the non-advanced assignments and do math and language arts on their level.

-crystal

dhudson

Re: 1st grade program for a child who is a pretty advanced reade

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 pm

My twins were reading before going into MFW1 and we had a great year. I thought my oldest was too advanced for MFW1 and didn't use it (we used Abeka instead) and I really regret it. For the twins we used the MFW1 phonics as phonics review but the Bible and activities were fantastic, and the science was amazing! I did add readers for them to continue to challenge them and that worked well.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Chiming in quickly -- my dd was also advanced in reading when she started MFW1. It was a great year for her, because it starts narrating and notebooking skills and the Bible and Math and Science are so well suited to that age. We also used phonics time to teach phonics as spelling rules, and she became an advanced speller as well. It was good. Just enough challenge, just enough time per day. Lots of library books. :)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

RachelT

Re: 1st grade program for a child who is a pretty advanced r

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 pm

My dd turned 7 in December during her first grade year, this year. Reading really clicked with her last spring and summer, where she just took off and started reading everything - even sounds I knew we had not "studied" in school. She is doing the 1st gr. phonics/reading/language arts and it's been nice. The phonics workbook was very easy for her, but in the last half of it she did learn some spelling/phonics rules that she had not been taught yet, even though she was already reading those words correctly. It is good information to know. She really enjoys drawing, coloring, and tracing to create her Bible notebook pictures. It has been good for her to also write the summaries in the notebook and generate her own short compositions there. What a treasure this notebook will be in the years to come!

We also enjoy choosing readers from the library or our own collection and doing extra reading. We are actually doing ECC this year and she participates in almost all of that, so she is busy doing lots of other things and that's why we are not doing all of the 1st gr. curriculum, but I wanted her to go through the MFW 1st gr. to have a basic timeline for all of the most familiar Bible stories and to practice the phonics and composition. We use another math curriculum, but I still pull out the 1st gr TM and play some of the math games and use CBoM worksheets for her and she likes the variety. We worked on the Books of the Bible again and now she knows them (from the Wee Sing songs) really well.

We just did Adv. last year and she participated a lot, but I feel good about not "pushing" her to a higher grade level than is her age. Developmentally she is doing work above her grade level in most areas, but she is enjoying her 1st grade year and is a confident reader. She is also writing more now than at the beginning of the year.

Posted Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:38 pm by RachelT

Hi! My dd began MFW 1st last August and was 6 (turned 7 in the winter). She was already reading and writing well above her grade level. However, I went ahead and did all of the 1st grade phonics workbook with her, the Bible Reader, and Bible Notebook. Now she is really excited to be reading all kinds of books from the library! One thing to remember is that when you get into the Bible Notebook, you will have to help her compose and spell summaries of the stories there. The phonics was easy for her, but she didn't know how to spell every word that she wanted to write and so she learned some spelling that way.

We also went through it at her pace. Some days we did two phonics lessons or Bible stories. When she finished the blue phonics workbook, we still had a few weeks left in our school year. She was able to write a story, play games with me (Spelling Bee, sight word or homonyms matching, hangman, etc.), read library books, or spend more time on the artwork for her Bible Notebook. I am glad I didn't push ahead and made sure that she has this foundation in phonics.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

4littlehearts

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Thanks ladies! You have done a good job in convincing me to use MFW 1st grade with her. I will probably just add in extra books like many of you have mentioned. Thanks so much!!!

NJCheryl

Unread post by NJCheryl » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:33 am

I will be finishing MFW1 with my son in May. He started reading at the beginning of age 4 and is reading pretty difficult chapter book. I would say he is a better reader than his 4th grade sister. He has still enjoyed MFW1. He reads chapter books from the library ifor general reading and pleasure. His sister is in ECC, so I have him do book basket time with her as well. This has worked great for us.

Cheryl

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 am

The first couple of weeks in the program will be really easy for her, but that's okay. Her reading skills will certainly decrease any frustration for you in using the program. You'll be able to spend more time on other subjects as well.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Julie - Staff

Re: Choosing 1st grade for an advanced reader

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:53 pm

SarahP

Re: 1st Grade seems too easy, should I skip some?

Unread post by SarahP » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:09 am

lotterino wrote:My daughter attended public school last year for kindergarten, she had an excellent teacher and by the end of the year she was reading simple books by herself. One of their goals was to learn 220 sight words which she did rather easily, words like made, funny, warm, done, find, soon, better, only, etc, etc. When I decided to homeshool I looked through the 1st grade curriculum and I thought it seemed a little basic, but I understand wanting to review and work on handwriting.

We are now on Day 29 and it hasn't seemed to pick up the pace and my daughter is being a good sport and doing the work but I can tell that it's starting to get boring doing for her (and me). She can read those Step 2 books very well and she working through Little House in the Big Woods, though there are some words she needs help with. It frankly seems a little silly to have her go over words in the MFW workbook that she can already easily read. We use Spectrum Reading workbook (Little Critter) to supplement and she enjoys those--and she can read the stories and directions on her own. I am wondering at point do I skip ahead? Or should I combine 2 or 3 days in one?
We've been doing all the work and adding a reading book each day. I also have them read the proverb to me on the first day it is introduced. I have been writing each word of the Memory verse on index cards and scramble them up and have the boys put them in order - the first time they can look at the verse then after that they have to do it from memory. They also read one easy reader book (little critter level) OR a chapter from a harder book (like we are doing now with the Bears of Hemlock Mountain). I also have them follow along with my older son when we locate a new country on the map and they participate by coloring a map or a picture related to the country along with their big brother.

I am finding ways to beef up the first grade curriculum - I've heart other posters say that they use the reading words in MFW1 as a spelling list - I don't do that but with dictation I am less inclined to tell them what letter to write next -instead I ask them to tell me what they think the next letter will be - for instance - the first word for line 2 is God - where do you think you will write that word on the line with two o's or the line with 1 O? Yes - the line with 1 o - okay, what do you think the first letter in God is - yes a g - but what kind of G - upper or lower, yes upper - why is it upper (because it's a name!). - right, the first letter in God is an upper case G - then the o, right, what is the last letter in God - yes a d - (and so on and so forth......

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:10 pm

I also did first grade with my dd who was reading on a 3/4 grade level. It was a very fun year! We enjoyed the Bible and Science parts of the curriculum the best. But we didn't skip any of the phonics, even though it was review. It really does act well as beginning spelling lessons. On day 38 you will introduce the Bible Reader. My dd found this book to be easy to read, but the other work surrounding it was challenging. After you get through the days of creation, the student starts to summarize the story. It is a skill we hadn't worked on yet. Narrating the story in their own words after hearing it, then maybe coming up with a short phrase for a title, then shortening the narration to finding the key points for a 3 sentence summary. Those were very good skills for us to work a lot on in 1st grade.
So, I guess I'm trying to say keep going. Maybe doubling up on some of the phonics in the beginning of the year (now) would be ok, but don't miss out on the Bible lessons on those days. And be encouraged that the reading portion of the curriculum builds and includes much more than simple phonics! You have a full curriculum with all the aspects of Language Arts being taught by the close of the year. And enjoy the easy lessons this year, it does get tougher as they get older :-)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Caryn

Unread post by Caryn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm

I had the same "problem" with my dd who has always read way above grade level. We used the time to add in things that interested her/us, especially lots of science. And field trips...lots of exploring.

I was really concerned at the time about it not being hard enough (school is supposed to be hard, and a chore, right!?) and about needing to add more (which I did) However, looking back, it's really an ideal time to add in things that you enjoy. At this stage, it's not so much about the academics (especially since your daughter who is ahead of the game at this point) but it's about the emotional and social development, as well as maturity, fine and gross motor skills etc.

This is an awesome stage of life where, while they're expected to be educated, you actually can get away with having all the fun in the world. 8th grade, not so much. So take advantage of where she's at, and use the time to build your relationship, build her relationship with the Lord, develop those fine motor skills (sometimes the hands and legs aren't quite as far as the brain ;) ) and explore and do all the awesome field trips and fun things that you won't have time for later on.
Caryn
==============================================
dd9, ds8, and ds3 (Speech therapy and pre-k)
Pre-k (twice), K (twice), 1st (twice), Adventures, ECC and currently CtG
My blog: Considering Wildflowers

lotterino

Unread post by lotterino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 am

Thank you very much for all your replies, this is very encouraging to me. I realize how important the fundamentals are and we are really enjoying the Bible verse memorization. I guess I'll try to relax a little (I have feared that I'm holding her back) and find other ways to supplement the material.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:27 am

Welcome to the board!

(((hugs))) I understand that nervous feeling of "am I holding her back?". I was like that with my oldest. so I pushed and got it out of balance. Now years later in high school, where she struggles with handwriting and spelling, I wish I had not pushed ahead in "reading" because I really held her back in other skills by doing so.

I know you'll get a wide variety of teaching ideas. Here are some ideas from my experiences to share. I had 2 children who used MFW's 1st grade but were easy to learn how to read kind of students and seemed ahead of it all. Some children just learn how to read very quickly and others don't. 1st grade program is a fast paced phonics program.

We did the use the phonics list as spelling words approach. I think it's important to teach/review/go over the phonics rules. Don't skip the script in 1st because there are gems of spelling rules in there - especially for those who did a lot of sight words to learn to read. You'll thank yourself later that you don't skip the phonics/spelling in 1st. even if it is quick and "boring" or easy.... it will pay off.

I would not worry too much if spelling/phonics/reading time only takes a few minutes instead of more time. Expect better handwriting skills on Proverbs lessons. Do some as dictation instead of straight copywork if they seem to get a bit bored.
Add in other readers as you like -- check out the lists in Honey for a Child's Heart.

Then, for the rest of your school day: do more math time, use those math literature books as well. Do the Come Look with Me books, do the music again. Make sure you are reading to your child every day for at least 15 minutes from any book you want.
Consider adding in challenges in other ways -- do a foreign language, do home ec skills (can they read and follow the recipe on their own with just supervision of equipment
do the nature walks and journalling - again, this is more writing and drawing but in different ways.
how about adding in an outside class such as learning an instrument, or dance, or art
Take the time to visit an elderly neighbor and let your child read out loud to that person for a new way to use their skills.

and consider how to spend "unscheduled, but productive educational learning time" ala Charlotte Mason. Here is a classic thread with a bunch of older ideas on that topic:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1829

-crystal

Yodergoat

Questions about MFW 1st grade

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 am

minnesotagirl wrote:We are doing some research on which curriculum to use this fall with our 6 year old (he turned 6 in March). We are excited about the possibility of MFW for first grade, but I am hoping for some opinions on whether the phonics portion may be too easy for my son. He completed "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons" during our last school year, and finished it in January. We also used Explode the Code, and he completed through book 2 1/2. Since then, we've just been reading books from the library, or a little series of one-page stories I made on my own, using new sight words, etc.

I'd love to know how challenging the reading portion of MFW grade 1 is. Will it be appropriate for my son? Too easy? Maybe just a review for the first couple months and then level off to where he may currently be at with reading? I certainly don't want to thrust him into something too challenging, either. I am not looking to push him at all - we want him to love learning! But I also don't want him to be bored initially, and then end up not enjoying school. :) Just not sure whether it is wise to purchase this curriculum this year or wait until grade 2. I have a feeling it will be just fine, but I don't have the opportunity to actually get my hands on the MFW manual and books to look through them, so I'd love advice.

We are still learning about MFW, but everything looks great! We very much appreciate Charlotte Mason, and Classical education so MFW seems to fit. With a baby, 3.5 year old, very newly adopted 4 year old, and our 6 year old, I am looking for something this year with less prep work. :) Thanks so much for any help.
Hi and welcome!

My daughter also turned 6 in March. We are in the first few weeks of First and enjoying it. She had done MFW K previously. MFW First really picks back up (after a review) where their K program leaves off, which is at short vowel words of the CVC, CCVC or CVCC type and "the" as the only sight word. So it is geared from that starting point, and even easier if you consider the review at the very beginning. But I hear that it ends very strongly and indeed the last pages of the Bible Reader seem well into Second Grade reading level in my opinion.

I have never used any of the teaching resources you listed so can't compare. But I was wondering if you have had a chance to look at the First Grade samples on the MFW website?
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/6/First-Grade/#Samples
Those might give you some idea of where the program is at the particular days listed in each sample. I think they have phonics workbook samples for days 79 and 111 and an excerpt from the Bible reader for day 79. There are 160 days in the program, I think.

The first few weeks of First is a very simple review that will probably be very very easy for him... it is basically like an introduction of letter sounds and handwriting for each letter of the alphabet. Quite basic stuff, but necessary for some children who have had a break since doing Kindergarten work and fine for building up confidence that First wouldn't be "too hard," which was my daughter's concern. My daughter knew all of this review material, but didn't become bored with it and seemed to enjoy an easy transition into First. I think it is partly there for that reason. Some of that initial response to material that is "too easy" will depend on your child's outlook... mine likes easy because it makes her feel confident and smart. (She is smart, but is sometimes afraid to try and has a fear of failure that I recognize in myself and with which I can easily relate.) Other children might feel bored from the lack of apparent challenge.

The phonics work will pick up quickly after that review, although I don't know how it would compare to programs you have already done. I think some folks who have children already reading well use this review time and the other early phonics lessons to work on spelling rules, neat writing and establishing a routine until they come to the part of the program that is new to them. As I said, I don't know where the books you mention leave off in phonics, so I don't know if that would be soon or late in the MFW program. Not very helpful, huh? ;)

If you haven't yet had time to explore the forum, there is a section for First Grade Ideas and another that is a First Grade Archive. You might find some useful information there that could help you make a decision. There is a wealth of information there from real users and I am almost sure there are some posts from those who are in a situation similar to yours.... possibly even folks who have used the same books!

Other than that, you will have to get some real-time input here from those who know more than I do! ;) I am a very poor judge of reading level and such. I was just up late and wanted to respond. Hope the direction you should take for his school this year is made clear to you.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

cbollin

Re: Questions about MFW 1st grade

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:07 am

Welcome along.

With my children who used MFW 1st, we turned phonics into spelling. If they knew who to read the phonogram being studied, then it was time to try to spell some of the words on the list. Very easily adaptable for a child who is ahead in reading skills. Then, we could work more on composition with the Bible reader and notebook, enjoy science fun, math, handwriting, Proverbs..

How challenging is MFW's program? It covers all phonics needed to develop an independent reader. The pace is faster than some programs. All phonics are covered by around day 120 or so.
If you need more to read, there's a book in the deluxe package (Honey for a Child's Heart) to help select library books. From everything you've said, I think you'll be fine.

What are his composition skills like? Copywork? memory work?

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am

I think looking at the samples on-line should help a lot. The NT portion of the program, the last 34 days, suggest checking out early readers from the library.

The other question would be the writing and spelling. MFW1 builds spelling slowly and gradually in the blue student note book; a fact I appreciate. The phonics in it teaches both reading and spelling. The copy work of Proverbs and the Bible note book is early writing. If he can read the Bible reader easily he would still gain from the program in the following ways:

*Learning to copy a Proverb (copying is difficult for early writers)
*Learning to draw for the Bible note book
*Learning to write one sentence for the Bible note book.
*Putting together a first history time-line based on the Bible time-line of Genesis to Revelation
*Doing hands on activities
*First grade science

Even if he is reading some he would still benefit from much of the first grade work offered. Perhaps one of the greatest benefits for age 6 would be the fact that he could finish school in 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day (I know my boys appreciated this at 6.) He would learn BIble History, some science, and learn to write & spell. From the stories you were describing he also may further his reading about half way through the program, but I couldn't fully tell. I am on my second time through MFW1 and still love it as much as I did the first time.

I hope this is helpful.
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:29 am

minnesotagirl wrote:Since then, we've just been reading books from the library, or a little series of one-page stories I made on my own, using new sight words, etc. ... Maybe just a review for the first couple months and then level off to where he may currently be at with reading? I certainly don't want to thrust him into something too challenging, either. I am not looking to push him at all - we want him to love learning! But I also don't want him to be bored initially, and then end up not enjoying school. :)
Hi, there! We just finished MFW 1st. Based on the information you gave, I think the curriculum will fit perfectly where he is.

Enjoy your year! :-)
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 am

I know I have already said my bit and can't offer a whole lot more. But I just wanted to add a second and third to what the others have said... MFW1 is so much more than just the phonics.

I also wanted to say that I like the way that MFW has the Bible Reader set up to go along with the phonics workbook... for example, if the phonics lesson being taught is the sound of oi, the Bible account in the reader might feature the words "coins" and "point" which will help reinforce the phonics rule taught. (That is a COMPLETELY made up example... I don't have the Bible Reader here with me, because we are not yet to that point in the program.)

I like how it is integrated, and the Bible Reader, the timeline and the Bible Notebook look like they will be really special.

And the time it takes to do the work each day is blessedly short compared to what I have heard about other programs... more time for little ones to just be children. :)

I realize I sound like I'm trying to "convince" you... not my intention! Just trying to help give you a more complete picture since you can't look at it in hand.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

minnesotagirl

Unread post by minnesotagirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:42 am

Thank you!

As far as copywork -- He did daily copywork of 1-2 sentences or a bible verse, and then we usually practiced writing a letter that he may have needed a little help with. He does pretty well with his letters on a K-sized line. We didn't move into a smaller line too much last year.

Composition -- he has not yet done too much of this, however we did do some picture drawing and story writing together throughout last year. Either I would draw the picture and he would write (phonetically) a 1-2 sentence story to go with it, or I would write a short story and he would read the story and draw the picture to go with it.

Memory work -- Our 6 year old excels with memory work. He started memorizing scripture early on, but we didn't want to push him. He did, however, memorize with his dad the first chunk of Luke 2 at Christmas-time last year. :) They do a devotion together in the morning, and that was their project for Christmas-time. The majority of his biblical memory work this past year was his Awana Sparks program.

I've looked at the example pages online, and he is able to read those with help with maybe just a couple of the words.

We have not done the history time-line before.

We did about 2/3 of McGruffy 1st science last year, and had a lot of fun with it. More for beginning exploration - I was not concerned if he wasn't retaining all of the information at that point.

I love the biblical perspective for a curriculum for my children. We included bible study time last year, focusing on different godly character traits. But I love the idea of all subjects pieced together biblically.

The biggest thing for us is that, although he's covered a lot in the past couple of years, we don't want to push him ahead either. We want him to continue to just enjoy learning. I don't want an early graduate, or anything like that! :) Just want to go at his pace, nothing more. I would have loved to look more closely at the complete MFW 1st curriculum at our state's homeschool conference this past spring, but we were in the middle of finalizing an international adoption, and could not attend this year. I am wondering if there is a HS store close-by that would sell it, or is it just available for purchase online?

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:09 pm

It sounds like you did a lot for his K year. I did that with my oldest too; including the first 1/2 of MFW1. :-) ;) :-) It worked out well for him.

As far as I know the only two places to buy or look at MFW1 are ordering it on-line or the convention. The third place would be if you know someone who owns it to look at.

I guess the next question is what are you wanting for your son for first grade? What do you want him to learn next? The next step in reading (as far as I have ever understood finishing 100 easy lessons means that you have finished his phonics program) would be to continue moving forward in it and move onto reading comprehension, narration, etc. It sounds like you could move forward with the writing from what you are saying; if I am understanding correctly.

Does ADV interest you? Do you think he can write a note book page of 2 sentences or so once every two weeks? I wouldn't suggest PLL [Primary Language Lessons, used in 2nd grade] though for a 6 year old. Do you want to start US History and studying the names of Jesus and doing a state study?

Lots to think about...blessings for your decision.

minnesotagirl

Unread post by minnesotagirl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks again for the information-
I don't know a lot about ADV. I think there are certainly a lot of parts of MFW1 that would be really enjoyable for him, and like others said, allow more time to just be a kiddo. Also, our two 3.5/4 year olds may be able to enjoy listening to some of the MFW1 lesson? I could just supplement with more challenging reading if necessary, and yes, I was looking to get the deluxe package.

I am more than willing to let him have a year that is less challenging overall, but still allows for a love and thirst for learning, building confidence in success for the years to come.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:36 pm

minnesotagirl wrote:Composition -- he has not yet done too much of this, however we did do some picture drawing and story writing together throughout last year. Either I would draw the picture and he would write (phonetically) a 1-2 sentence story to go with it, or I would write a short story and he would read the story and draw the picture to go with it.
Sounds to me.... First Grade would work better for overall with everything you have mentioned. Get deluxe. Do the "critical thinking" workbook in deluxe (animal patterns). do the art appreciation and picture study with Come Look with Me book. Honey for a Child's Heart - will have a lot of reading suggestions.

-crystal

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Dear Minnesotagirl,

You have had a lot of great feedback from those on this board. We usually find that those who have used a phonics program similar to the ones you used last year, benefit from a traditional phonics review, especially in the area of spelling. I think that as others have mentioned, you will find it is much more than phonics. There are topical library book lists for math and science throughout the year that will give you additional enrichment books. He will continue to practice his reading and writing skills while enjoying a one year simple study of the Bible (including timeline figures).

If you have further questions, you may also consider giving the office a call to speak with one of our staff about your options (573-202-2000). You may also give our office a call if you need help in adjusting the reading/language arts portion for your son. There will be plenty of opportunities for phonic review, reading, and composition (summarizing Bible stories to create the Bible notebook). If he is reading already you can continue to choose good books from the library for him to read to build his skill, fluency, and confidence.

Lucy

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:50 am

You have received some great feed back already from Crystal and Lucy.

I just wanted to add that one thing I have really appreciated fully about MFW is their first history cycle that they do through MFW1 and ADV. This first cycle goes from Genesis to Revelation in MFW1 and then Jesus, skips to Leif Erickson in 1000 AD and then moves through a very gentle introduction to American History. The Bible Note book and time-line solidified for my oldest, and currently for my 2nd, an over all time-line of the Bible. It also taught them that the Bible is History. For me this was important. I also thought that I would add that my first born was reading very well from day 60 to day 160 of MFW1, and I am still very glad that we went through the phonics for spelling and the Bible note book, etc. in MFW1. It just made the reading part of the day easy! He still learned a lot from the spelling, copy work, Bible, time-line, drawing, etc.

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 am

I just started homeschooling, and my dd is in K, so no real first hand experience with 1st, but I just thought I would mention that of you skip 1st and go strait to Adventures, you would go from a 1 1/2 hour day to 3 1/3 hour day. And although your child might be ready for Adv at 6, would he be ready for beginning the history cycle at 7? MFW recommends the following about deciding if your child's ready for Adv:
  • Can your child write or copy 1-2 sentences fairly easily and cheerfully?

If you were to read the story of David and Goliath to your child, would he be able to write several simple sentences about the story? (Spelling and punctuation do not need to be correct.)

Have your child read a sample from our Bible Reader (http://www.mfwbooks.com/pages/php/sampl ... eader.html). Can he read it fairly easily? Please note that needing to sound out words is common at this age.

If you are considering Adventures for an advanced six-year-old, is he prepared to spend 3 - 3 1/2 hours each day doing school?

If you can answer yes to these questions, your child is probably ready for Adventures. (However, if he is younger than six-years-old, please call our office for placement help.)
I'm not trying to steer you one way or another, just feel like it's something for you to consider. In my K Manuel, their is advice for moms who have a k'er who can already read, and still make it a meaningful year, by making some tweaks. As others have suggested that have or are using MFW 1st, you could make adjustments. In addition, this board is great resource. It is very active and the moms on here have lots of fun ideas you can use to make MFW 1st more challenging for a reader or add some fun ''extras".

And if you are unsure, I would not hesitate to call them! The three times I have talked to MFW they have been very helpfully, prompt, and professional.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)