Book Reviews & Extras - Older kids, 6th-8th and teens

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Julie in MN

Re: OT: Reading for Junior High Boys

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:34 am

About the changes you are seeing, between the fact that he's 12.5 and the Asperger/ADHD symptoms, I'm thinking it could just be a phase. I used to tutor and there were definitely lots of boys that age whose minds were anywhere except at my desk.
CharleneHoell wrote: I also agree with you that it is hard to find things that are not full of vampires and guy/girl stuff.
Grrr... this has almost spoiled my enjoyment of book stores these days. Entire WALLS of this.

Anyways, one idea is to use all of the read-alouds from the different MFW years, plus the ECC 7-8th grade readers that your son hasn't read yet. They are all not only educational but character-building. I wouldn't even be afraid of some of the easier ones like Patricia St. James and Daughters of the Faith biographies; even adults can get something out of these.

Also, I have a list somewhere of what my son's book club has read. I can't guarantee there is nothing objectionable whatsoever, but we are all Christian families of different sorts, and we have all okayed these. Maybe they will help someone. My son is a very capable reader but does *NOT* like to read -- I am so jealous of those of you with boys who love to read! Fortunately for my son, his book club includes some easy reads in there :) I may have missed something here or there, but here are some books that one group of Christian boys has read ;)

10th grade book club
-Julius Caesar, Shakespeare (also studied in WHL)
-Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane (Civil War, personally not a role model I'd recommend for middle school)
-A Christmas Carol, by Dickens (again)
-Treasure Island, by Stevenson (again)
-Shipwreck at the bottom of the world, by Jennifer Armstrong (Antarctica, 1914, true story, Shackleton was a model leader)
-Farenheit 451, by Bradbury (set in the future, when TV/media replaces literacy/human interaction)
-To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee (Alabama during the Depression, prejudices, 1933)
-Going Solo, by Roald Dahl (autobiography of author of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory etc.; British pilot in WWII)

9th grade book club, the only year we had a "teacher"
-Ides of April, by Mary Ray (around the 50s AD, Roman Emperor Nero)
-Canoeing With the Cree, by Eric Sevareid (1930, true story of a canoe trip)
-A Single Shard, by Linda Sue Park (1100s Korea, one of my son's favorites)
-Call of the Wild, by London (Klondike Gold Rush, Alaska 1897, a bit of underlying "social Darwinism" to discuss)
-Rifles for Watie, by Harold Keith (Civil War, 1861)
-Wednesday Wars, by Gary D. Schmidt (1967, goofy & looks easy but covers a lot of history of the late 60s, some moral dilemmas, and some Shakespeare; our book club also discussed satire, irony, heroes, anti-heroes, and fools)
-Mr. Midshipman Hornblower, by C.S. Forester (England, 1793)

8th grade book club
Critical Thinking Book 1 (logic)
8th grade reading time at home
-Misc. stories from The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling, and other short stories
-Tom Sawyer, by Twain
-I am David, by Anne Holm (boy escapes from prison camp and is on his own; a little slow/poignant for my son, movie was good)
-A Christmas Carol, by Dickens (England, 1850s, fairly short)
-Treasure Island, by Stevenson (England, Caribbean, Georgia, 1750s)
-Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, by Carroll
-Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe, by Bruce Olson (in the ECC supplement)
-The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller (a little Victorian for my son, ended up just reading half out loud & then watching The Miracle Worker, but he was definitely impressed by her story and her writing about how she "sees" the world)
-A Day of Pleasure: Stories of a Boy Growing Up in Warsaw, by Isaac Bashevis Singer (WWI Poland); I also considered The Chosen by Chaim Potok (end of WWII), but decided to go for a bit younger audience
-The Narrow Road, by Brother Andrew (also called God's Smuggler, absolutely excellent about God's hand in getting Bibles behind the iron curtain, also in the ECC supplement)
-The Hobbit, by Tolkien

7th grade book club
-The Golden Goblet, by Eloise Jarvis McGraw (ancient Egypt)
-The Twenty-One Balloons, by William Pène du Bois
-Black Ships Before Troy, by Rosemary Sutcliff (The Iliad, illustrated version is best)
-The Wanderings of Odysseus, by Rosemary Sutcliff (The Odyssey, illustrated version is best)
-Rascal, by Sterling North (1918, pet raccoon)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

momma2boys

Unread post by momma2boys » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 am

Ah, love all of those book suggestions and lists and the website! Thanks everyone!

Here's our book list:

The Doppleganger Chronicles by G.P. Taylor. 3 books
Solitary Series by Travis Thrasher. 3 books
The Wormling Series by by Jenkins and Fabry. 5 books
The Cooper Kid's Adventures by Peretti. 8 books
Knights of Arrethtrae Series - not sure how many there are in this one.

Our library has most of these, but we live in a large town and have an excellent system. He loves action and adventure. Cliff hangers. Always goes for the scarier looking covers when at the library which I will not let him read. He did not like reading Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings Trilogy or Redwall... so I read them aloud (currently reading through the Lord of the Rings)! :)
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

homespun

Unread post by homespun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:56 pm

We just found a very exciting series from YWAM. CBD also has them. Its called the Airquest Adventure Series by Jerry B. Jenkins. The titles are Crash at Cannibal Valley, Terror in Branco Grande, and Disaster in the Yukon.
MFW user since 2006 beginning in K. Doing ECC synergy group this year for our second time with ECC.
dd grade 8, ds grade 6

Julie in MN

Biographies for 12 yr. old

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:44 am

MelissaB wrote:Our daughter has very thoroughly enjoyed the YWAM missionary biographies we were introduced to during ECC. She's now read well over 30 of them, both missionary bios and Heroes of History.

She's also read Isobel Kuhn's book, By Searching; I Dared to Call Him Father; and Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place (three times).

Anyone have non-fiction recommendations or a good biography you would recommend?

Thanks ahead of time. :)
Hi Melissa,
A girl who's read The Hiding Place four times... so exciting. Here are some random thoughts for a gal like her:

- Daughters of the Faith series (MFW uses 2 of these), easier but still good, about people like the daughter of John Bunyan (Pilgrim's Progress author), the Salvation Army, etc.
- Christy
- The Narrow Road (ECC)
- Fearfully & Wonderfully Made and/or In His Image, about Paul Brand's experiences as a medical missionary, and his knowledge of the human body as evidence of a creator
- Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World (not really Christian content, but a good leadership example)
- Kisses for Katie (MFW carries this now)
- Joni
- John's Story: The Last Eyewitness (this is novelized because we don't have many details, but based on historical events in the life of the last living Apostle, note that it starts out kind of shocking but is based on traditional biographical events)

I'll add some more if I think of them. Fun.
Julie

Poohbee

Re: Biographies for 12 yr. old

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:26 am

I just read Kisses for Katie this summer, and it is amazing! I highly recommend that one!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

hsmom

Unread post by hsmom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:58 pm

I just stumbled across one of my old posts where I recommended the book Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman : http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5561

Honestly, I don't even remember the book, so you'll have to rely on the post for my review of it. I'm not exactly known for my memory. 8|

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Thank you all so very much for the wonderful suggestions. !! We're starting with Kisses for Katie since it's at our local library, then we'll begin our new list from you all.

Great suggestions...Thank you, again! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

donutmom

Watership Down in High School

Unread post by donutmom » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Kelly1730 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:47 am
Is Watership Down read at all in High School? It's one of those books I want to make sure we read but if it's recommended somewhere down the line then I'll just be patient and wait ;) !
Haven't come across it, nor do I remember it from any of the suggested reading lists (the lists related to studies). At least for the 1st-3rd year of high school. I don't have the 4th year manual, so hopefully someone else can chime in about that year. The 4th year is more modern literature (written after 1850)--perhaps it's included on that list.

I actually never heard of the book myself. I had to look it up to see if it would ring a bell, but . . .nope. It got added to my list (my VERY LLLLLLOOOONNNGGG list)of books to read!

Happy reading,
Dee

Julie in MN

Re: Watership Down in High School

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:04 am

donutmom wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:10 pm
I don't have the 4th year manual, so hopefully someone else can chime in about that year.
Hi Kelly & Dee,
I don't see it in the US2 manual, either -- not on the book or the movie list. Of course you could assign it during US2, when students read classics written and set after 1850, but there's no reason you must wait :)

Enjoy,
Julie

Kelly1730

Re: Watership Down in High School

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks for your replies. Since it's not listed at all for high school, I may assign it for summer reading. We do something along the lines of they pick a book then I choose one for them during the summer.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17