Book Reviews & Extras - Dinosaurs

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
gratitude

Book Reviews & Extras - Dinosaurs

Unread post by gratitude » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:43 pm

jasntas wrote:After I ordered The Ballad of Matthew's Begats: An Unlikely Royal Family Tree by Andrew Peterson (Thank you Julie - from the ECC forum) and The True Story of Noah's Ark by Tom Dooley (Thank you RachelT - from the 1st grade forum) the book The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible by Paul S. Taylor came up on Amazon as one I might be interested in. So, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I was wondering if it were one worth adding to my collection. TIA
Definitely!

It is by far my favorite book on dinosaurs for our kids. As far as grade level goes it is about the level of the dinosaur book in CTG by Ken Ham, or a little beyond. My oldest ds7 loved it though; especially the fossils & facts about Africa. It has a great biblical message and many interesting facts regarding the dinosaurs that I had never read before. My ds favorite is some of the information about a tribe in Africa that identified pictures of a couple of dinosaurs that they are both familiar with and have African names for. My ds loves to talk about the living dinosaurs in Africa. My ds just came up and said, "Yes, that is a great book. It is the one with the truth that the dinosaurs are alive! :-) " He also just added that dinosaurs real name is dragons. Great book!

Blessings & Enjoy!

Mom2theteam

Re: The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:21 pm

My son, who is 5, LOVES dinosaurs. He is in a collecting phase. He collects everything in our house with dinosaurs on it. He even has 3 pairs of PJ's in his collection. Ha, ha! I may need to get that book just so I can read it for more information for him. He has so many questions. I have What Really Happened to Dinosaurs but I would love to have something more in depth. Plus, he would really love to hear about possible dinos in Africa. We are going to the Museum of Natural History in DC in a couple weeks too. I wanted to put it off till lesson 8, /d/ Dinosaurs, and make it go together, but my husband didn't want to make him wait that long. Maybe I'll get that for the /d/ Dinosaur unit in K. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:I have What Really Happened to Dinosaurs but I would love to have something more in depth.
I bought both the Paul S. Taylor & Ken Ham book from CTG last year when my kids were 6 & 4. They were so interested in dinosaurs that I wanted to get more information for them too. I found the Paul Taylor book from a Christian book store and ordered the Ken Ham one from MFW ahead of time. They have loved both books; especially Paul Taylor. :-) The best part about the older versions is I think they will keep getting more out of them. The Paul Taylor one also has a picture of a huge, dinosaur from the sea, that was spotted by the Navy during World War II. Oh and then the Chinese dragons, and how they tie into dinosaurs, and the fossils. It really helped during a big dinosaur interest. I wanted them to know facts that many people don't know, and the truth.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:34 pm

My ds believes that dragons may have been dinosaurs, thus they must have been real. Also, we recently saw the movie How To Train Your Dragon and the dragon/dinosaur craze has begun in our home once again so it sounds like a book we 'need'. ;) I think this one will be added to our collection of creation based books soon. Thanks. (I think) ;) :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:02 am

Mom2theteam wrote:The best part about the older versions is I think they will keep getting more out of them. The Paul Taylor one also has a picture of a huge, dinosaur from the sea,
Note to anyone who doesn't know- the older version of the Paul Taylor book is not exactly the same as the new version. I have both versions of the Paul Taylor book. I have the copyright 1987 which has the picture of the plesiosaur carcass pulled up by a Japanese fishing vessel. It is pages 46 &47 in that version. I bought another one and it was copyrighted 1989 and those two pages have been completely removed. Everything else is exactly the same. I can't even find a place to buy the 1987 version, which I would prefer to have (borrowed it from a friend)

If you can find the 1987 version it is worth the extra trouble. I thought that was fascinating information and wondered why they had removed it in the next version.

But even the newer version is a great book with tons of information. I think we learned more about dinosaurs from that one then the Ken Ham one. I do like how the Ken Ham book really ties in the fall of man and the salvation story.

Edie

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:15 am

doubleportion wrote: I thought that was fascinating information and wondered why they had removed it in the next version.
Edie,

It was removed because it was not what it seemed. It wasn't based in fact. It was a kind of shark that was hauled in but there were too many rumors and the story took a life of its own
http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... plesiosaur

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:37 am

doubleportion wrote:
Mom2theteam wrote:The best part about the older versions is I think they will keep getting more out of them. The Paul Taylor one also has a picture of a huge, dinosaur from the sea,
Note to anyone who doesn't know- the older version of the Paul Taylor book is not exactly the same as the new version. I have both versions of the Paul Taylor book. I have the copyright 1987 which has the picture of the plesiosaur carcass pulled up by a Japanese fishing vessel. It is pages 46 &47 in that version. I bought another one and it was copyrighted 1989 and those two pages have been completely removed. Everything else is exactly the same. I can't even find a place to buy the 1987 version, which I would prefer to have (borrowed it from a friend)
I had to go and look at our copy to the book. It shows how much my mind actually makes pictures of what I read, I thought the picture of the leviathan in the book was leaping, but it is swimming!

My version is 1989 and pages 46-47 is a picture of a leviathan swimming. The text though is of an account of a leviathan that was seen by the U28 that torpedoed a British Steamer during World War I. The Leviathan leapt out of the water 60 - 100 feet during the sinking of the ship, and was witnessed by the captain and several officers. It was July 30, 1915. My ds was fascinated by this account by the Navy and their eye-witness of this gigantic sea animal.

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am

cbollin wrote:It was removed because it was not what it seemed. It wasn't based in fact. It was a kind of shark that was hauled in but there were too many rumors and the story took a life of its own
http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... plesiosaur
Ahhhh, thanks Crystal. That was a very interesting article and definitely explains the change from the 1987 version to the 1989 version. Good info.

Edie