Book Basket - Can we do MFW without it?

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
RedwoodMom

Re: Is it a bad idea to not have a book basket?

Unread post by RedwoodMom » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I feel better knowing that the book packages will be enough if I can't find suitable books for the book basket. What a relief. :-) Now that that is behind me my excitement for MFW is back. I am looking forward to beginning next week.

asheslawson

Re: Is it a bad idea to not have a book basket?

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:44 pm

We did ECC last year & K...this year we are doing 1st & CTG...we are thankful to find one or two books from our library for our book basket - but it is very rare. I have better luck saving $4 or $5 & trying to buy a 2nd hand copy through someone on homeschool classifieds. (Some paperbacks go for even less...& sometimes I find some very reasonable bundles.) Still yet - I didn't find that site till the end of the year. I just searched the library computer for a topic and found books that I liked that way - sometimes many - sometimes few to none. Still - our year was great - and we never felt like we missed out.

We did buy the deluxe so we had the Christian Heroes books, which were unforgettable. We also had Kingdom Tales. Our library doesn't have a giant selection...the whole library isn't much bigger than a classroom in the high school that it shares a building with. As far as ECC though - we did find plenty of books on people from other countries. I even have already found books on some topics we will be studying this year - and although they rarely match the recommended reads in the back of my TM..

this is also why I chose MFW. I knew getting every book that I needed from my library was just not going to happen - and MFW solves that by providing all the must haves and just giving an overly complete list of extras. I agree with what Crystal said...they are like dessert! Enjoy your year!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Mom2theteam

MFW without the book basket?

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:54 am

erin.kate wrote:We've enjoyed MFWK and MFW1 thoroughly, and we're now in ADV. I am an avid lover of the book basket and ours is typically full of Marie's suggestions. This is really the crux of MFW in many way for us, aside from the Bible integration. We have been blessed to live near an exceptional library system and our inter-library loan program is equally as good and easy to use.

In August we're moving to an even tinier lake town (is that possible!) and the library is awful. Last night I searched their catalog for ECC books, out of curiosity, and from weeks 1-18, I found three books. For inter-library loan there I can request, in-person, up to three books every three weeks as long as I never have fines on any family cards of more than $1.00 ( 8[] ).

Aside from my personal feelings on the necessity of the book basket, I've read here and there that MFW, especially ECC, really needs the book basket to round out the program, plus we're doing MFW1 and I NEED the bb for math!

What would you suggest? Have any of you happily taught years like ECC and MFW1 without the book basket? I'd love to know your pros/cons and experiences. This is weighing on me, but I don't want to lose the richness of a program due to my very sad library. :)
I haven't been there yet, but I'm still feeling your pain. We are just completing K. Our library isn't too bad, but it rarely has the books suggested in the manual. :( I ended up buying the lit pack because of that. As far as I see, there is not a book basket in 1st, which we are doing next year. But, there is the math lit books. I'm sure it would be a great addition, but I'm positive he can learn the math he needs without it. There is the daily reading too. I'm sure I'll have a tough time finding the books on the lists in Honey For a Child's Heart I'm not super worried about that either though because they aren't tied to the unit/theme/day's lesson. I figure I'll just keep doing what I've been doing...picking out a ton of books that look interesting. :)

I am looking forward to hearing the responses you get. Good luck!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

far above rubies

Re: MFW without the book basket?

Unread post by far above rubies » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 am

I rarely look at the books in the TM. I just do a search by topic now and find lots of cool, appropriate books, DVDs, and CD's.

I've know a couple of local Mamas who checked out the TM, found the books with the asterisk and then did a search on half.com or paperback swap and had great success.

Good luck!!! MFW can be done without book basket, but it sure does add richness. For my children, it's the glue that ties it all together.
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:42 am

Here's a thread with some more ideas for obtaining books. A lot of them have already been covered here, but there are a couple new ones, I think, like finding books that cover many topics in one, and looking into public school libraries:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=200

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for the ideas. I will definitely need to figure out something for book basket. My girls revel in it at least an hour every afternoon and while I prepare dinner, too. Can't let that go!

I'll keep mulling this over.
far above rubies wrote:I've know a couple of local Mamas who checked out the TM, found the books with the asterisk and then did a search on half.com or paperback swap and had great success.

Good luck!!! MFW can be done without book basket, but it sure does add richness. For my children, it's the glue that ties it all together.
Excellent idea, Elizabeth. I'll see what I can do with the asterisked books. For the life of me I cannot figure out paperback swap, but I'm good at used book finds online. :)

Yes, it is the glue indeed!
Mom2theteam wrote:As far as I see, there is not a book basket in 1st, which we are doing next year. But, there is the math lit books. I'm sure it would be a great addition, but I'm positive he can learn the math he needs without it.
We did 1st last year and I must have those living books to go along. 8[] I feel so strongly on this ... :-) .

I trust Marie's suggestions insofar as I can request them at the library online, make a library visit once a week or every two, put them all in the book basket and I don't need to pre-read. I just don't think I can search the library online catalog or in person and choose books that I know will be appropriate and safe reads, without spending forever doing so, know what I mean? So, that's part of my need for the book basket titles in the TM. Silly maybe. ;)

I hope the replies here help you too!

Oh ~ you mentioned being worried about the later years of MFW with the book basket. I've wondered how full it is for say, CTG, since in my experience the pickings are slim for readings of that time period that would align with MFW's heart. Interesting.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:47 am

didn't karrie post about her book basket ECC buying experiences?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 422#p83422

I've heard stories that the people at mfw have to travel between 1-1.5 hours to get to a good library for their own baskets. scary, huh?

i found it harder to get book basket for history with CTG and early parts of RTR. science - easier. But, the funny thing is? without tons of book basket for ctg/rtr history, I didn't feel like it was missing much. But in ECC, ex1850, 1850MOD, my thoughts are different. ok, I'm weird..

this might be in julie's links..... booksbloom.com for building homeschool libraries.... I remember for some reason really wanting a book in ecc basket that was not in library... and Jan (booksbloom) had it. conventions/email her... she doesn't have online inventory or fancy shipping. it's a small business and I mean small.

-crystal

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:48 am

cbollin wrote:didn't karrie post about her book basket ECC buying experiences?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 422#p83422
Great link. Thank you! Hmm ... I think we've easily spent $240 on three lost books, library fines, and a membership at a neighboring town's library &) ... got me thinking! Thanks very much.

I can absolutely see what you're saying on CTG and early RTR vs ECC and EXP and MOD. I'm with you on that completely. I feel that ECC just *needs* this beautiful book basket. I'm just not driving to an hour or more to make it happen. hahaha.
Julie in MN wrote:Here's a thread with some more ideas for obtaining books. A lot of them have already been covered here, but there are a couple new ones, I think, like finding books that cover many topics in one, and looking into public school libraries:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=200
Thank you, Julie. Lots of good ideas here in this thread. Our inter library loan system also taps into the public school libraries, so that's a blessing. I'm also going to visit the new library where we're moving, plead my case as a responsible home schooler :-) , and see if we can work something out on the "mad 3 inter library loan books per 3 weeks". Ya never know! Thanks again!
♥Count it all joy ~

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:59 pm

erin.kate wrote:I hope the replies here help you too!
Well, as it turns out, I was surprised to find that they had at least 3 books for almost all the math "units." After I replied to you, I looked. ;) So, we will be getting those as we can.

As for trusting their suggestions, that makes sense. I hadn't even thought of that. At this point, I just flip through quickly at the library and then if I missed something I censor the books as I read them to the kids. Since my oldest is only 6. He still can't read a lot on his own. I hadn't even thought about having to pre-read when he is a little older. :~ Thanks for bringing that up.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:54 pm

erin.kate wrote: For inter-library loan there I can request, in-person, up to three books every three weeks as long as I never have fines on any family cards of more than $1.00 ( 8[] ).
That made me LOL! I can completely identify. We recently decided to stop calling it a "late fee" and start calling them "contributions" instead. It feels a lot better...8[]

Hope your book basket overflows next year, and you enjoy your new home!
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:09 am

MelissaB wrote:That made me LOL! I can completely identify. We recently decided to stop calling it a "late fee" and start calling them "contributions" instead. It feels a lot better...8[]

Hope your book basket overflows next year, and you enjoy your new home!
Melissa B.
Thank you! I know, gosh, we spend far too much in fines. Now though, our sweet librarian is so good about renewing my books before they're overdue. She keeps a little sticky on her desk to remind herself. Perks of a small town. But, alas, some child always finds a way to lose a $3 reader that ends up costing me $30. :-) "Contributions" is so freeing!!!!
♥Count it all joy ~

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:39 am

MelissaB wrote:We recently decided to stop calling it a "late fee" and start calling them "contributions" instead. It feels a lot better...8[]
yep yep yep 8[]

I just wanted to throw in here again that the "Cooking the ___ Way" were by far the best books we used in ECC. We were able to check them out for almost every country - or at least something close on the same continent. They have tons of local culture info and pictures on top of the recipes.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL