Read-Alouds - Blessed

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Mallorie

Read-Alouds - Blessed

Unread post by Mallorie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Oh, good grief, they make me cry! Last year, Kingdom Tales, now, Tanglewoods Secret. We have been so blessed just by the choices of read alouds in this curriculum! They speak so vividly to my children's heart, too.

How ever do you get through them without choking up? I had to read the rest first before I read it to the kids just so I will be prepared! Doesn't do any good for family read-aloud time if they can't understand what i'm saying through the blubbers. LOL

cbollin

Re: Read alouds

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 pm

I think MFW should include tissue boxes with each deluxe package.

:)

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm

You aren't the only one. Even after reading the whole book ahead of time, I still choke up/blubber through some books... :)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

mlangley

Unread post by mlangley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm

I am so there too!! Pass the kleenex!
Grace Christian Homeschool

Using CTG & AHL with 3 children

Mallorie

Unread post by Mallorie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Yep, blubbered through it this afternoon, even though I knew what was coming...the kids aren't used to that, so were taken a little by surprise. LOL We finished the book a week early, I couldn't wait and neither could the kids!

Really love this book.

wsterk

Unread post by wsterk » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 pm

we have done some extra reading aloud from the Christian Heros Then and Now series. Of course MFW does include some in their curriculum and I remember reading Nate Saint and I was sobbing at the end. Could hardly get the words out and my 2 kiddos just stared at me. And I even KNEW the end of the story before reading!!! Love getting sucked into the stories right along with my kids. Books are truly a gift!!!

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:06 am

I always cry during the read alouds. :-) My boys just start grinning and think I'm crazy. I even cry through some of the picture books! Sometimes I just have to hand the book to one of the boys and have them read the end because I'm crying so hard. We're just now getting into Tanglewood's Secret. So I guess I'd better have the kleenex box ready for this one too. :-)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

thelapps

Unread post by thelapps » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:27 am

I'm about crying just reading your posts! Yes, I get very involved in a book. If I can read it to myself ahead of time and cry it out, I usually brace up and kind of detach myself to read it aloud. Although I have been known to tear (long e) up, even then. Yeah, my boys laugh at me and think I've gone off the deep end too, but that's just the way I am. Glad to know I'm not the only one. :~
Lovin' it!
Marie
Marie Lapp
5 sons using WHL; AHL; & RTR

SarahP

Unread post by SarahP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:55 pm

They get me too. When we read Nate Sante last year my (then) 8 year old son and I just cuddled on the couch and cried together while reading the end. He didn't want to go on because it was too scary, sad, but I felt it was so important for him to hear how it all played out in the end.

Mallorie

Unread post by Mallorie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:06 pm

momxnine wrote:I always cry during the read alouds. :-) My boys just start grinning and think I'm crazy. I even cry through some of the picture books! Sometimes I just have to hand the book to one of the boys and have them read the end because I'm crying so hard. We're just now getting into Tanglewood's Secret. So I guess I'd better have the kleenex box ready for this one too. :-)
Yep, get the kleenex! You will really like the book, though, it is very good!

extrafor6

Unread post by extrafor6 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 pm

This is so timely...we just finished up Stone Fox tonight...I had no idea it was such a tearjerker!

4monkeyz

Read-alouds & Crying

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:19 am

We are loving Adventures!!

Just finished Sarah Whitcher for read-aloud, a little ahead of schedule but the kids wanted to know if she was found before we went on fall break. What a great book!!! :) I don't want to ruin it for others, but at some point towards the end, my ds (who is eight) leaned over to his sister and said, "Mom is crying!" and kind of nervously giggled. And it was true!! I had tears running down my cheeks! Got all choked up too. Did anyone else cry @ the end?? Or am I hormonal again. ;)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

TriciaMR

Re: Read-alouds & Crying

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:24 am

I cry for almost all the read alouds, and cried for that one. I may now start to try finding the audio books at our library... :)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:35 am

The read-alouds should come with a box of kleenex. ;)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

kanderson

Unread post by kanderson » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 pm

LOL - I cry at all of them :-)
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

luv2tch

Unread post by luv2tch » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:19 pm

We are doing ECC and I cry on every read-aloud also!
You are not alone on this--they are just so moving! It is amazing to see how God works in people's lives.
Rhonda--Married 19 years to David
Traded classroom teaching for homeschooling!
Currently: C2G, AHL, and US 1
dd, 11th grade
ds, 9th grade
ds, 6th grade
"His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness..." 2 Peter 1:3

Melany

Unread post by Melany » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:50 pm

I knw exactly what part you are talking about!!

We also finished the book early because my boys didn't want to wait until Monday to find out what happened. I started crying and actually had to have my oldest read a few paragraphs to his younger brother until I could start reading again.

Such an awesome story.

I am really enjoying reading the books with the kids, I love that they get excited each day to hear about what is happening next in the story. We usually do our read alouds right after we finish lunch or while they are finishing eating. It has become a fun part of our lunch time that we all look forward to.

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Phew. ;) Glad I am not alone on this. And I second the box of kleenex being included.

I LOVE how much my kids LOVE reading!! :) Having started myself at a young age, majoring in English Lit....it is rather a relief to have kids who love books. I love that cozy time on the couch or when I read and they are finishing lunch...their sandwich eating slows down as they listen intently...heehee.
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:20 pm

My biggest tears came during The Bronze Bow and Twice Freed in RTR. Beautiful stories.
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 pm

I'm all over this one - my kids look at me when the story starts looking a bit emotional and they say 'you aren't going to cry are you'? But on the other hand - I've seen my dc look away at times - apparently didn't want me to see a tear or two in their eyes! Love these great stories!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

♥nbamaboyz

Unread post by ♥nbamaboyz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 am

Love You Forever had me in lol'ing & crying at the same time......when that mommy got in her car & drove across town for her baby! Such a wonderful story

sandi

Unread post by sandi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 pm

This is hilarious! You sound like me. My kids laugh at me all the time because I cry during our read alouds too. :-) I'm thinking your very normal!!!
His Child,
Sandi

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 am

Okay...I joined the club today! We finished reading The Bronze Bow today, and I had to read the last chapter with a quavering voice and tears rolling down my cheeks. Oh, what a great ending to that book! Of course, I've cried during lots of other read-alouds, too. But, today, again, I cried. Oh, what wonderful books! :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

luv2tch

Unread post by luv2tch » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Wow! We finished reading Nate Saint's story for ECC on Friday. Yes, I went through about 5 tissues before we were done! ;( It was so inspiring and moving, though. I have read several of Elizabeth Elliott's books and was familiar with the story, but hearing it again from the perspective of Nate Saint and his family was really amazing. I strongly feel that every Christian young person (and adult!) growing up in America today needs to read these biographies of great Christians to put into perspective what is truly important in the light of eternity. I am overwhelmed by the sacrifices these men and women made to serve God, even willingly laying down their lives.
Thank you, MFW, for a curriculum that focuses our hearts and minds on God's work in the world.
Rhonda--Married 19 years to David
Traded classroom teaching for homeschooling!
Currently: C2G, AHL, and US 1
dd, 11th grade
ds, 9th grade
ds, 6th grade
"His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness..." 2 Peter 1:3

Yodergoat

Sarah Whitcher's story

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:20 pm

We're doing Adventures here, and were scheduled to read Sarah Whitcher's Story a week or two back. I didn't have it at the time, I had not bought it and had assumed I could find it in one of the THREE libraries I frequent. Wrong! :~

So I bought it and it came in this afternoon and we've started it tonight. We're LOVING it, and there is no way I can divide this story out into short segments. We're a family that loves read-alouds... we do them together when my husband is home. Sometimes he reads, usually I do so. We can read and listen for hours or we'll all sit and listen together to an audio book. We don't have television so it's easy to find time for it.

I know what happens in the story, but my husband and daughter do not. It was great fun as they sat enthralled as I read! We would still be reading it right now if my husband had not been going to a men's meeting tonight. As it was, he put his leaving off and put it off a few minutes more, then had me read it in the bedroom as he got ready, and as he put on his shoes, and as he gathered up his things to go. :-) I am so thankful to have a child who likes to listen to stories, but even more thankful to have a husband who enjoys them and gets into the drama. His face was pained as I read the part about the man who had seen the footprints and the tracks next to them... and as the mother implored the searchers to come back one more day. He was tempted to stay home from the meeting, and I bet we will start it up again as soon as he gets home even though it will be late and he leaves for work early!

I just wanted to say how much we're enjoying the wonderful story and how thankful I am for my sweet husband who will listen so intently and be so involved in the story. Praise God for him!

While I was buying Sarah Whitcher's Story, I splurged in an uncharacteristic way and got more books I'd seen recommended... I bought a boxed set of the In Grandma's Attic series, Naya Nuki and Mountain Born. We should be set for a little while.

I also bought the shorter story-book version about Sarah Whitcher, I think it is called The Bear That Heard Crying. I am saving it for after we finish the read-aloud... which should be tonight or tomorrow! ;)

I assure you, I usually do not spend much money on books... I'm a "let's see if I can find it at the thrift store for 25 cents" kind of person. But these felt like good buys and of course Gail can read them for years to come.

Thanks for listening to my long ramble.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!