Read-Alouds - Blessed

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Poohbee

Re: Sarah Whitcher's story

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 pm

I enjoyed your post very much, Shawna! I, too, share your love of and excitement for wonderful books! Oh, how I love the In Grandma's Attic series! My sister and I both read and loved those books when we were growing up. I think that you and your family will really enjoy them!

I recently read a few of the recommended Book Basket books for EX1850 that I had not read before, and I thoroughly enjoyed them! I am going to assign a few of them for my 7th grader to read, and I wanted to pre-read them to see what they are about. I read Sign of the Beaver and Calico Captive, both by Elizabeth George Speare, and Indian Captive, by Lois Lenski. I have discovered that I love the books by Elizabeth George Speare. She is an excellent author of historical fiction. So, as Gail gets older, you should definitely check out these books. They are wonderful books! Your husband will like them, too, I think. :-)

Thanks for sharing your love of books with us! I can't help but celebrate with you over your new book purchases! I am one who feels that the purchase of a good book is never a bad thing. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks Jen, and thanks for the future recommendations and for giving me encouragement about how we might like In Grandma's Attic. I have read some of Elizabeth George Speare in the past, I love historical fiction. Actually I like to find juvenile literature in audio book form at the library and listen to them by myself late at night when doing chores... am I the only one who does that? :~ I convince myself it is so I can preview them for Gail to read or listen to in the future, but in reality I think it's just because I enjoy the good stories. The librarian probably thinks I have an adolescent at home who I am getting all those audio books for, when they are secretly for me. ;)

Guess what? We finished Sarah Whitcher's Story tonight! !! My husband got back from the meeting at 9:00 and I began reading again at about 9:20... with Gail pestering us the whole twenty minutes in between about getting back to it. Just finished it at about 10:30. The family loved it. My husband seemed moved by Heath's obedience to his dream. Made me just about want to cry, but that makes it hard for the hearers.

There is NO WAY I could have broken that story into small allotments, there would have been no peace around here!

Thanks again!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Love it!

We are set to start that in a week...I think...but we are done with...oh, I can't think of the name. I'm tired...The Courage of Sarah Noble. My kids want to start the next book. But it isn't scheduled yet and I know we will finish it before it's even scheduled. LOL!! I need to find something to read them. We are going on vacation next week. So, I have a 2 week gap to fill. :-)

I loved your story. My husband hasn't really gotten into the family read alouds much, but I wish he would. I'm hoping he'll enjoy them more as he hears them more. But, I'm random with when I am able to read. So, he only gets bits and pieces. :~

It's good to hear things are going well.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:21 am

My husband did not start out listening to the read-alouds. But I tried my best to read good stuff in the when he was home and in the same room with us (which is easy cause we have a tiny home). It took a while... we were in On the Banks of Plum Creek a year or more ago and I noticed that he was looking less and less at his own book and more and more at us. Sometimes he would interject comments like, "Oh, that doesn't sound safe!" or "Imagine how frightening that would be!" or "That makes me hungry." ;)

But I knew I really had him when as I was reading one night, he very earnestly looked up from his own book and said, "I'm worried about Pa's wheat crop...."

I do feel blessed.
I'm Shawna...

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:55 pm

We loved these books too! We also don't have TV so tended to finish & start them before schedule.

One read aloud set we added to ADV was doing the rest of the Laura Ingalls books. My kids loved them & they tied in well to the time period.

Another read aloud set we added was the rest of the Grandma Attic books. There are 3 more, and have great character lessons in them. Those books too added well to the time period.

Oh, we also read Caddie Woodlawn during ADV; the kids loved it.

Just a few more ideas for those who enjoy reading aloud.

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:24 pm

SO fantastic!

We love read-alouds over here as well. We're only finishing week 3 of Adv, so we're working on Squanto. But I can't wait to get to all these great stories.
Yodergoat wrote:But I knew I really had him when as I was reading one night, he very earnestly looked up from his own book and said, "I'm worried about Pa's wheat crop...."

I do feel blessed.
Love this. :-) And I love your "sneaky" way of getting your hubby to love the read alouds, Shawna! I have always had this picturesque image of our little homeschool family sitting around the fire at night reading great literature together. Now I need to take the steps toward making it happen. Only it will be a woodstove and at least 2 out of the 6 of us probably won't be sitting for long, but close enough, right? ;) I feel encouraged now, thanks!!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:30 pm

kw4blessings wrote:I love your "sneaky" way of getting your hubby to love the read alouds, Shawna!
Yes, my devious plan worked perfectly! 8[] So subtle, yet so effective! He was absolutely riveted during The Long Winter, when Pa went to the Wilder boys to buy some wheat for his starving family and took the plug out of the hole in the wall. Good stuff there for men.

Adventures has so many great books... I love the time periods covered in the founding and pioneering days!

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone!
I'm Shawna...

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:44 pm

gratitude wrote:Oh, we also read Caddie Woodlawn during ADV; the kids loved it.
We just read excerpts of this in [our English program] a couple weeks ago. LOL!! Zack was intrigued.

We are slowing reading through the entire Little House series. I'm funny about doing things in order though. And, funny about doing them "on schedule." So, we are taking a break from them until Farmer Boy starts a few weeks from now. It's next in the series for us. :-)

I'm thinking of going in a completely different direction for now and reading something like Charlotte's Web till Sarah Whitcher comes up.

I try to read to when my husband is around, but I just can't always do it. He works a lot and evening isn't the best time for reading at our house. I do it when I can though. But, I'm still praying he will get interested at some point. I get audio books for long car rides. I always hope he will get into it...so far...not so much. He is always trying to talk over it. LOL!!! I have a lot of years to work on him. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm entering the conversation a little late here but just wanted to add, too. I also listen to audiobooks while cleaning. I just started this summer as I wanted to listen to the independent books my 7th grade ds has scheduled for this year (EXP-1850) but now I've been looking for more to listen to.

We just returned from our family vacation so before we left I packed some on CD. We listened to Johnny Tremain as I knew my dh would like it. At first he was like, how many more CD's? (There are 7, I think, maybe 8 ). But by the end he was sad it was over. We also listened to some of the Chronicles of Narnia audio dramas released by Focus on the Family. He really got into those as well. The kids enjoyed them also but they are used to read alouds. ;) The books definitely helped pass the time during the times we had those 8-10 hour rides per day.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:55 pm

I have the best memories of Sarah Whitcher's Story. My nephew was getting into some trouble and needed to a place to go during his spring break, so he and my niece came to stay with us. We continued our ADV lessons and I did the read-aloud at night before bed. It is the only book my dh has set in on in all these years, but we all read it together. I think my nephew was in 8th grade at the time. We all LOVED that book! I had to finish it in one week, but I did so happily.

The Grandma's Attic series is wonderful, too. I also bought the set and my dd has reread them more times than we can count. She totally enjoyed sharing them with her Papa, too. I think ADV has the best books! I'm so excited to be in EX1850 this year -- we are rereading all of the ADV books!!! :-)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL