** Book Basket - Ideas for obtaining books (author reply)

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
momtogc

Re: Will my kids get enough out of the program without libra

Unread post by momtogc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:34 pm

We live in the "big town" with the "big library" and they still do not have many of the books listed in the ADV TM (big library with a low budget). I try to at least find something similar to the current week's topic in our library. For instance this week I was unable to find one on Animals as listed in the TM so I got one on Mammals instead (same author though-yea!) If I just can't find anything related at all, then I look for good books on topics that I think my dd might enjoy. I get some that are below her reading level for some easy reading, and some that are challenging, chapter books, etc.

There are two books with lists of books that I enjoy using. One is Honey For A Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt, which MFW sells in it's First Grade Deluxe package, and the other is Hand That Rocks the Cradle, written by Nathaniel Bluedorn, who was homeschooled himself. Either of these can point you in the direction of good books for children.

If you can afford to purchase some used books, a good source is http://www.formulus.com/booksyes Click on Online Catalog. You can search by title, author or just review the categories. The owner sometimes gives free shipping for orders over a certain dollar amount. Her prices are very reasonable.

I also buy readers from Rod and Staff and Christian Light Publications for my dd (8yo). I find the content to be wholesome and my daughter loves reading them.

And for further reading, my dd has a subscription to two children's magazines. One is Clubhouse, Jr. from Focus on the Family and the other is Discovery from Apologetics Press. Both of these provide good reading.

I think the overall goal is to not only help the child learn about the historical events and people but to help them learn to love reading about many things. You can't go wrong by having a variety of good reading material handy.

It can be daunting to try and "fill in" when you don't find exactly what you are looking for so I hope this information is somewhat helpful.

Meleasa
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 pm

One other magazine to consider (especially fun during ECC) is God's World News. Comes in various grade levels.

on the jr. high page of ECC there is a link...
http://www.gwnews.com/mfw/
using that link, I believe that MFW still gets some proceeds from those referred sales and MFW uses that money to sponsor Bible translation through God's Word for the Nations.

God's World News is a monthly news magazine with a Christian perspective. Good to put in book basket with the kids. You can use a map to locate all geographic areas mentioned in the articles and look at reading comprehension with the "tests" that come with it. Students might clip out the international articles and file them by continent in their geography notebook. and there are teacher extras on the God's World News website for those with subscriptions.

-crystal

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:08 pm

I thought of one more thing I do for book basket with the hope that it helps. I check the ideas forum for whatever section we are studying. We are doing ECC so I check the idea forum for whatever country we are on. I see what other books that other people have found and listed in that section of the message board. Sometimes my library has them and sometimes they don't, but it gives me more books that MFW users would suggest to look for.

I had not thought about this until I read the last few posts, but we are doing ECC, and something that has been a good resource for us is the Kids of Courage magazine (from Voice of the Martyrs). I signed up to receive these for free at one of my homeschool conventions. VOM had a booth set up. They are not very thick but each one contains info about kids who live in different areas around the world and the obstacles/hardships they face and how they overcome. This gives us another opportunity to pray for different people groups. It gives my kids the opportunity to learn how it is for other kids around the world and to pray for them. I am sure you could check it out at Voice of the Martyrs website.

Also, we received a book about children in Africa in a kid's meal at Chik-Fil-A. We plan to use this when studying this area.

Just some other ideas......
Amy C.

meleacherie

Unread post by meleacherie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:33 pm

WOW! Thanks for soooo many great ideas! I will try many of them! I REALLY appreciate it!

fdjoyce

If you had a really pitiful library...

Unread post by fdjoyce » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:How would you handle it? A little clue to what our local library is like: I went looking through the shelves to find a book on Handel for music. There wasn't anything on him, but there were two or three on Kanye West?!?!? Lots of twaddle. We don't have tons of $$ to just spend on books, but I am really trying to evaluate if I need to just purchase some book basket books of my own next year and forget the library. I have spent a lot on fines as well. We'll be doing RTR and I'm thinking of getting ordering it soon and picking the books with a star by them and purchasing some?? Has anyone found a way to work around a library that isn't that great?

We have a great library 40 miles from here, but I gave it up this year because 1) I was adding one more with my k child, 2) I was pregnant, 3) it would be hard to make it that way. I especially cannot see me getting over there for next school year with the new baby and all, unless I found a way to just go once per month and recheck.

Any tips? Honestly, right now I'm grabbing dd's AHL books and having 6th grade ds read things from there on the topics he is on. He's reading the Narnia series this year for lit, so that's taken care of. I just need a better plan for next year. Thoughts?
We have a similar situation in that we live in a VERY rural area & our library is 30+ miles away & is very small. 2 tips come to mind:

1. Because our library is small they need customers! Their funding & justification on jobs, ect is based on the library being used so our little library LOVEs homeschool families- we're big (every time we go they get to count 6 customers for the day in one shot) & we read a lot of books! Our library has even gone to not charging late fees to increase use of the library. My suggestion is to make friends with someone there- the main librarian if possible. Greet them on a first name basis & meet with him/her to discuss your situation & how they might be able to help you.

2. Get someone to teach you (librarian) the inter-library loan system & then force yourself to try it out. My librarian told me about it a year ago but I tried it once; thought this is hard & made do without books. In the past month I decided I had to try again because I will be doing MFWK & ECC next year & have no budget for extra books. So I had her go over the system with me again & I tried it this past week. Basically the system works like this:
  • Books are available from whatever libraries are within your system (where I am it is a 4 county area (which is about 6-8 libraries) because all the counties are rural.
    You have an ID # & a PIN # & once you go to their website you log on & have access to the exact same computer catalog that they have at the library
    You can search books by title, author, subject, series, & other?
    Once you find a book you want you can see which library it is at & if it is checked out or not
    Then you just hit a HOLD button to reserve the book for yourself
    They will send the book to your library & have it at the front desk waiting for you to pick up
    You can also HOLD books that are at your library already - so they are all ready & you can just jump out, grab the books & go- great for baby!
    At our library it takes about a week for the books to be sent & be ready
Like I said I gave it a test run this week & here's what I found. I did not have the ECC manual yet but I searched the entire K book list & found all but 4 books available thru this system. Only about 2 of the books were actually at my library already! I was pleasantly surprised! It will require some advance planning on my part but I hope to reserve books using this system & then pick them up once a month. I also found while I was logged into the system that I could see a list of what I have checked out currently, when it is due, & RENEW with 1 mouse click! That is sooo cool because although I don't pay fees I do feel guilty over late books!

You probably knew all this already but I was really surprised at how easy it all was to do once I actually tried & I searched all those books in about 1 hour WITH DIAL UP INTERNET! I also taught my oldest to use the system & he is very excited because he loves books & he would stay at the library for hours while my youngest 2 are ready to go within minutes! I am really hopeful this will help our family.

jasntas

Re: If you had a really pitiful library...

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:16 pm

I love using our inter-library online system. But before putting a hold on too many books find out if there are any fees attached. Our library has an ok selection but our loan system is really good. But there is a .50 cent hold fee for every book in our district. This includes ones my local library pulls off the shelf for me. I still use my library system extensively because it's still cheaper for me to pay the fees for the books. I will sometimes pay up to $20 a month for books but get 40 books to choose from rather than paying the same for a couple of books that I only use once or twice and end up giving to the library anyway. And if my library carries the book I would rather spend my own time (if I have the time) to pull the books off the shelf myself.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

momtogc

Re: If you had a really pitiful library...

Unread post by momtogc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Could you consider investing in two or three books that will meet your needs for the entire year (perhaps an Usborne book or Encyclopedia type book) that covers a variety of things?

In your town does the public school allow you to use their library? Or your church library?

We have a pitiful library, too. :~ I try to find other books on topic if they have them, otherwise we do a combination of buying used books (online, book sales, yard sales), and borrowing books from friends. Sometimes I find things online to print out and put those "information sheets" in the Book Basket and that might be all we have on a particular topic.

I hope you find something that works well for your family.

SilverSwanMama

Library Books

Unread post by SilverSwanMama » Tue May 18, 2010 9:11 pm

I find a lot of our books on paperbackswap.com

You post books that you want to get rid of and get credit for them when someone requests it and you send it. Then you use your credits to choose books and have them sent to you by other members. There is no charge except for the shipping cost when you send a book. It's been really helpful and I've found a lot of books this way. Even books that are out of print and hard to find.

HTH!
Jennifer
Wife to Sweet DH (10 years)
Mommy to DD (6), DD (4), DS (2), DD (due June 15, 2010)
Completed MFWK
Currently doing MFW1 and MFW Preschool

samandsawyersmom

Library Books

Unread post by samandsawyersmom » Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm

I found most all of the books in a little library close to my grandma which i believe is God's way of telling me to go see her more! LOL!! Who would have thought the little library would have all the books and the big one did not?! My son likes the litle one better anyway!!
Wife to my wonderful husband 8yrs
Mom to 2 wonderful sons 6yrs and 4yrs
2012 pre-school and MFW 1st
2011 K

jasntas

Doing ECC with no Library

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 am

KJsMom wrote:I am really excited to begin ECC, but I have a huge problem. Our library had a roof collapse last year and has been closed since. The library in the next county is honoring our library cards but you can only check out 2 books at a time. Let's say that you could only check out 4 books for the book basket (my 2 + dd 2), would it be worth the drive? Are there any books you would reccommend that I purchase? I already own Me on the Map and How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World for the first 2 weeks, but what else? Thanks for your help!
I have been going through the list and purchasing, through various means, the ones with an * that I think would be of interest and other ones on or off the list that look like they would fit. I have been using paperbackswap dot com, going through local Goodwill/Hospice/used book store collections, etc. for anything I think I could use. I've gotten some good books and some great deals that way. If I can't find them that way, then I've been buying the most coveted ones new. Mostly through Amazon dot com. (Can't beat that free shipping on $25 or more, you know. ;) )

I started purchasing them this summer because I've been concerned that my library may be closing.

My main problem now is finding the space to store all these books I'm now collecting. :~ ;)

If you visit the next county frequently, then you could get your quota of 4 books from the other library. I don't think it would be worth the extra travel if you don't.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

doubleportion

Re: Doing ECC with no Library

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:09 pm

We have often found great books on sale in the clearance section of our local Books A Million or through other used places. If you can find a few for each country that might be helpful. Some countries were easier to find than others. But you will still get plenty of info in all the books you get in your MFW package, so don't feel like if you don't get to the library or own books for each week that you have an incomplete educational experience. Finally, there is lots of extra info online for many countries. And we found a lot of the tourist bureaus were happy to send out free info packets about their country, district, etc. We got some neat things from British Columbia etc. There are other ways to add in a little something and manage not to break the bank. ;)

BTW- I always have to put in a recommendation for VOM's Kids of Courage site at http://kidsofcourage.com/ that has lots of really good info on many countries and has downloadable booklets etc. Great stuff.

:)
Edie

KJsMom

Unread post by KJsMom » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. My mom and my neice said that they would drive over with us to check out 4 more books, but I really would rather not do that. I would be really worried that something would happen to their books. We live in a small town with no book store at all, so my only options are Goodwill and the Crisis Center Thrift Store. I have found some things, but due to the nature of thrift stores, I can't depend on finding what I need there.

Doubleportion, thank you in particular for assuring me that I won't be short-changing my kids if I don't have a full book-basket, and I never thought about contacting the tourist dept. for the various countries.

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:13 pm

If you are able to purchase some books, http://www.betterworldbooks.com is a great place to buy from. I feel so comfortable ordering from them....order online, free shipping, money back guarantee. I got a book from them once that appeared to be in good shape. About six weeks later we began reading it and discovered there were pages missing. I emailed BWB expecting them to say "too bad, it's too late" but before the day was out, they credited me back what I spent on the book. So, with that, I don't hesitate to buy used books from them since I know they stand behind their books.

Do you have homeschool friends that can loan you some books? Also, don't forget their is lots of information online. I sometimes print out pages on the topic we are studying and put those in the book basket.

HTH!

tangomoon

Great resource for finding library books

Unread post by tangomoon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 am

I stumbled onto a wonderful free resource this morning for finding and keeping track of MFW book basket books at the library.
http://www.worldcat.org

When you search for a book, it shows cover art, as well as a listing of which libraries own the book. This is great if you happen to have a couple libraries nearby that you utilize! You can sign up for a free account, which lets you save lists of books, tag them, etc. I see they also have an app for mobile phones (which almost makes me want one that could utilize it!). This is the same program that comes up if you're searching books through Google books for the "find it at the library" option.

When you make a list, you have the choice of setting it as private or public. To honor the copyrighted lists, I've got mine set as private.

What I'm doing with it so far is using it as a tool to quickly see which books are available at the local public or university libraries. Instead of having to be logged into each library's site separately, I can search once and quickly see if it's available at either library that I can use. You can set favorite libraries, and those will show up at the top of the list when a book is available at different libraries. The list also shows how many miles away different libraries are, and that's given me some ideas for other not-too-far local libraries that have quite a few of the suggested books, so I may look into their non-resident library cards. Since I'm in the midst of some 1st grade planning, I've been adding books from those suggested reading lists to get an idea of how many topics will have library books available, and which ones I may need to purchase books for.

Just wanted to share in case any of you weren't aware of this.

Have a wonderful week,
Lorri

1974girl

Book Basket?

Unread post by 1974girl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 pm

gratitude wrote:And what have you done for book basket if you did not find the suggested books? Does MFW stand alone without it?
My small town library hardly ever has any that are recommended. I just search the topic. (Scan the science, history, etc)
Mine also get to pick a topic they'd like to learn more about. Again....sharks for my 10 year old and ducks for my 7 year old. I think we have now literally checked out every single shark book in the library. And we got one twice!
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

momsflowergarden

Re: Book Basket?

Unread post by momsflowergarden » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm

We are doing ECC not Adv. but our library rarely has any of the recommended books for bb. I go through and purchase used from Amazon * books if affordable, generally 1-2 for each area and then I just fill in with books that are in the library on that subject. Studying countries it has been pretty easy and I would think Adv. would be easy too. I don't schedule a specific bb time in our day. My two love books and at least one of them is sitting on the couch at different times looking at one of the books from our basket. :-)
Also, the inter-library loan system at our library is not at all practical for this. You can NOT renew them and the over due for those books is, well, it would be cheaper to purchase the book. :~
Last edited by momsflowergarden on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be Blessed
Sandy
Mom of 5
Homeschooler of 2, ds 10 and dd 11
Using CLE Math, Calculadders, PLL/ILL, Rod and Staff spelling, AND MFW ECC for History, Science and Bible.

erin.kate

Got one book per week

Unread post by erin.kate » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Mexmarr wrote:We are doing Adventures and I took the book basket list and went to Amazon and got one book per week (except all the states, I just got a couple books to cover all states)

I got many of them used for 1 cent, plus shipping (3.99). I was easily able to find all that I need and it is was not a fortune. Plus I got to tailor it to my preferences!
Yep ... if you buy one per week, or in my case, one or two per husband's pay check, then your library grows beautifully and if you have several children coming up along, you are ahead of the game later down the road.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Got one book per week

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 pm

Can I give a little PTL here? Our library has a used book sales area in the lobby, and it is awesome! There is apparently a (uuhm-hmm) homeschool family that is donating their books. I'm so bad - I won't tell any of my friends around here because I want first dibs! LOL! I get books that look like they've been read once for 50 cents. I buy one or two almost every week. I have stocked shelves with used book purchases! The library system here was such a dismal disappointment compared to WA state, but the used book sales make up for it.

Nobody beats MFW's book lists.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

baileymom

Re: Got one book per week

Unread post by baileymom » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 pm

I try to get the * books throughout the list, if money allows. 1850-MOD has a lot of * movies, not sure if I'll do the same with those.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

erin.kate

Nearly all are available!

Unread post by erin.kate » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:48 pm

I am SO excited to say that our box of Adventures arrived today. It has far surpassed my hopes and expectations.

I had reservations at first when deciding on Adv about whether my sad library would have any of the books in the appendix. I am thrilled to find that nearly all are available. So happy!!!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥