Book Basket - You can just buy the books and stay with MFW!

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Mommy22alyns

Re: ECC Book Basket and Cost

Unread post by Mommy22alyns » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 pm

That's good to hear! I just placed my order for ECC and budgeted about $300 for book basket too.

mothermayi

My Ahhhh Hahhhh Moment

Unread post by mothermayi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:29 pm

I posted this in another forum but wanted to post it here just in case it helps someone that's on the fence.

As you may know, I'm all over the place with my thinking regarding MFW and HOD and trying to figure out what will be the better fit. Well, as I looked over my books, I realized I thought MFW was light because it didn't come with a lot of material. Then I realized the jewel at the end of the MFW manual and browsed the book basket and it hit me. Here were all of the books (well, there were way more than I'd need but there's beauty in having so many options). :) The basic package I purchased from HOD was here, in the book basket for MFW. Plus hundreds more. So there it is. Duh probably on my part. I just kept looking at the catalogs and the materials I'd purchased thinking "something is missing...". Nothing is missing. In fact, there is a surplus of material and options that won't ding my pocket book because I can use the library. We aren't boxed in to reading select titles or number of books. There is much flexibility.

*Sigh of relief* I feel much better now. :-)
MelissaB wrote:Smiling with you... I remember that feeling. :-)
It was the character development, bible, and hands on approach that also helped me realize this gem. My dd especially needs the first two bc she is very impressionable so what better time to give her these tools.

*grinning and at peace*
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

Mom2theteam

Re: My Ahhhh Hahhhh Moment

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:20 am

:-) I do this all the time!

I have "the grass is always greener" syndrome. *blush* I'm always looking at other things and thinking I should be using X,Y, Z. (Except that God is very clearly telling me MFW is what our family needs and I follow His lead and so far, every year is better than the last.)

I remember thinking I might want to start piecing things together in a few years instead of buying the MFW package because I was thinking I'd like to use Story of the World for our history. I was feeling unsettled and not at peace. Then, as I was looking at the MFW cycle years for the hundredth time, I suddenly realized MFW uses SOTW! LOL!! I knew that, but somehow completely forgot. I felt so silly and a little annoyed with myself. This isn't the only time I've done something like that. I've been looking over and over at other program sites for independent reading lists for my 2nd grader because......MFW just says to have the student read but doesn't give recommendations or a list....or does it.....I just realized a couple days ago there is a wonderful reading list in the back of the Adventures manual! And, I have seen it before. I saw it early on when I was first reading through the book....My brain is just mush with 6 kids 7 and under and I forget. I need to start making more notes for myself on stickies as I read things like the reading list in the back. Otherwise, I forget and then start to panic.

Anyway, point is, I know the feeling of that moment you realize and suddenly feel the peace wash over you. It's a great moment.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:12 pm

I think often the book basket part of MFW is the part that is the most over looked, and misunderstood since the 'books' are not on the web-site. Hooray for you for finding it!

Yes, it has many books that you might find in other curriculums on the list.

It was at the end of ADV that I realized, due to book basket, that my oldest had read far more books on American History than he would have if we had followed exactly the schedule in one of the literature based curriculums. Looking over those ADV book lists of books he read from book basket (a long list), and all the work he did through PLL and ADV scripture copy work and note booking was truly an AHHH moment for me.

Blessings for your year. Like any curriculum MFW really is what you make it to be. In some ways though it is more since it is not scripted word for word of what to say, what to write, what to pray, etc. It is true guidance, but without those levels of specifics. It is something I personally appreciate though about the MFW TM. I have the guidance I need with the freedom I need to tailor the curriculum to our family and my children. Book basket is one example of an area I have truly tailored to an avid reader and a child who loves to look at books, but rather have me sit down and read them to him. It is a wonderful part of MFW.

I have sometimes thought if they sold literature packs, like MFWK, more people would understand the literature component to MFW. Hidden in the Appendix I think sometimes moms miss it. I have pre-read a lot of the deluxe package literature books for the cycle, and I must say those are excellent too.

God Bless. :-)

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:43 am

gratitude wrote:I have sometimes thought if they sold literature packs, like MFWK, more people would understand the literature component to MFW. Hidden in the Appendix I think sometimes moms miss it.
Ahhh, yes! I think people miss it, too. I surely missed it. However, the moms on HSR have graciously stated the importance of the book basket many times and I still let it in and out of my head bc I didn't *see* it in the catalog. I had an overwhelming feeling that something was missing. But I found it !? . Yay! :-) It was there all along.
dd5--MFW K

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:24 am

Oh my if they sold literature packs it would be awesome,...

But then they would start to be like Sonlight and I enjoy the cheaper price of MFW. And its what I tell people when I share about MFW is the expense is cheaper with the use of the library. And I have suggested MFW to new homeschoolers and "converted" about six or seven times now. I should get commission.. :-)
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:37 am

I would LOVE optional lit packs for all the years. I've often had that thought. I bet many people would buy them and those that wanted to keep cost down could just skip them.

But, it is probably good that I have no choice but the save money by using the library! ;)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 am

I enjoy the lower prices of MFW, too. That was part of the appeal. An optional lit pack would be nice bc then it wouldn't affect the price for those wanting to use the library. I buy my lit packs from HOD but I would rather buy it from MFW bc I appreciate the bible translations. I bought the Kindy lit pack and I am so glad I did! Our library only had 3 of the titles :~ .

Then comes the question of how would they decide which books to offer in the lit packs. How does one choose from among hundreds of books in the book basket? Perhaps the asterisk marked books?
dd5--MFW K

Colleen

Unread post by Colleen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Just another thought about "Lit packs". If MFW offered them, I would probably buy them, but I'm glad they don't. Why?

Because then I would have to store them!

Also, I know that our library tends to get rid of books that aren't checked out for a long time. So just think, in checking out these wonderful books on the book basket list, we are helping to keep good books (not twaddle) in our public libraries! Yea!
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

unitlovinmama

Unread post by unitlovinmama » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:27 pm

LOL, I had considered MFW to be light compared to say, Sonlight, until we did ECC last year (our first year with MFW)- let me tell you, it is not light! :) We all worked hard! Glad you know for sure now :)
-Stephanie, HSing for 5 yrs, first year with MFW 2012-1013 (ECC).
Wife of 12 yrs, mama to three crazy but amazing kids (9, 7, and 3)
"May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us..." Psalm 90:17

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:12 am

Our library has gotten rid of many, MANY books that I *used* to check out all the time. :| They sold literally THOUSANDS of them on eBay, without offering them to their patrons first, and without any announcements. What they've been doing, after a very large donation by a certain well-known computer mogul, is adding computers, eliminating real books, and converting a lot of books to electronic form (which I refuse to use). Many of the real books (esp older ones) are just going away altogether and not being converted. ILL takes *forever* to get a book in (they say 2-3 weeks, but rarely do they arrive that soon).

So I've had to start purchasing books again, which becomes a love-hate situation because that's more to find homes for in our small house. And yet, I also realize that real books are just going to get harder and harder to obtain in the future (either because of availability or price), so I don't mind having to find a place to store them. ;) I like knowing that they'll be here when my girls are grown and homeschooling their own children.

If we were closer to the beginning of our homeschooling journey, I would definitely buy lit packs from MFW if they were available. As it is now, we probably already own a lot of them. I'm sure MFW would have some logistical decisions to make if they were going to offer lit packs for every year, though, and I wouldn't want them to become like other companies that make you feel like you *have* to purchase all these extra books in order to make the program work. I think optional lit packs would be very attractive, though. I've heard a lot of positive comments about the Kindergarten lit pack currently available.

And remember, since Marie has asterisked some titles on the list that she *recommends* for purchase, you can always go to Amazon (or wherever) and plunk those titles into your cart and create your own lit pack that way. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:59 am

4Truth wrote:Our library has gotten rid of many, MANY books that I *used* to check out all the time. :| They sold literally THOUSANDS of them on eBay, without offering them to their patrons first, and without any announcements.
This is so sad. I agree with disliking electronic books, especially for children!

I can typically find several of the book list books I need over our whole library system (10 libraries), but agree that an optional lit package would be nice. What a nice heritage of real books to pass down to our children! (If they survive 4+ kids :-) )
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Oh dear that is so sad about that library! Ours is excellent. We are part of a Great Kansas City library system and can hold books from several towns in our county AND Kansas City itself! Which is AMAZING! I almost always have several books available to me! And the hold process is all online so I just plan a few weeks in advance for the books I want.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2