Reading - Learning without "Readers" or "A Reading Program"?

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
BCat7305

Re: No "reading" as a subject....will we miss anything?

Unread post by BCat7305 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:28 pm

We have used CLE Reading alongside Sonlight and now MFW for years--my boys will do Grade 5 and Grade 7 next year.

One of my boys is a big reader, one is not into fiction. I have had a struggle getting him to read fiction from the book basket, so I do like for him to be reading and enjoying the CLE Reading stories--that's one bonus for us. Also, I do like the skills that it teaches. My oldest probably doesn't NEED the skill reinforcement, but he can zoom through it and enjoys it. The non-reader--I feel like he needs the practice in the CLE Reading curriculum--the "finding the main point" and things like that, comprehension questions. We plan to continue--

Betsy
DS1--11/2002--MFW CtG; Saxon Alg 1; CLE Read7; CLE LA6; Science in the Beginning
DS2--6/2004--MFW CtG; CLE Mth5; CLE Read5; CLE LA5; Science in the Beginning
DS3--11/2008--SL Core P 4/5; R&S K; CLE Reading 100; CLE Math 100

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:20 am

Several of the things you mentioned (e.g. poetry) will be covered if you're using the new Language Lessons for Today, or the former Primary Language Lessons (or something similar).

As for main ideas, context, and similar understanding of what the child is reading, MFW encourages narration. Narration is something that's easy to forget to do unless you build it into your day regularly (and then the kids will ask you when you forget!). There is some explanation of narration in each MFW manual, and also discussion in the Language Arts archives (scroll down to posts beginning with N): http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Narration does the same thing as those school questions on "what did Johnny do next" that most of us remember from public school, but it's a lot more fun, usually involves more important questions, and can be more tailored to each child. My daughter, for instance, knew all the details but needed to step back and look at the big picture of what was going on. My son, on the other hand, knew the general big picture but didn't care enough about keeping details straight to even be factual sometimes. Narration gave me a chance to prompt them to build on their individual weaknesses.

MFW suggests narration in history and science, so comprehension and such are being checked even if they aren't officially during "language arts time."

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 pm

I agree with Julie's post - and another short mention...MFW has instilled a DEEP LOVE of reading! My children sometimes can be found in the middle of a night reading a book they can't bear to put down. Some of the amazing stories we've read still move us, such as the Christian Heroes series - we LOVED Nate Saint & George Mueller & Amy Carmichael...well - all of them! We loved the Patricia St. John series - Amos Fortune, Almost Home, Kindgom Tales.....I'd find it hard to pick a favorite. Their love of reading encourages them to read fluently, thus improving their comprehension skills. This improves their efficiency in every subject.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/