Reading - Learning without "Readers" or "A Reading Program"?

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
TriciaMR

Re: Reading Comprehension & preschool booklet

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Jeannie,

I have my dd read Pathway Readers and Abeka readers to me for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes most days (depending on how much time we have for it). I like having graded readers to know my dd is "progressing." I love the stories in the Pathway and Abeka readers - usually good literature with heartfelt meaning. How I check for comprehension? Part of it is by how she reads. Is she inflecting her voice properly? Is she laughing at puns or jokes or funny situations? Or, does she get breathless at something exciting? Does she stop and ask me what words mean? (If she asks, I answer.) The other way is narration. I just have her tell me the story (up to that point) in her own words.

It's funny, my 5 yo boys ask me all the time what words mean. I encourage it. In fact, tonight my dd used the word "variety." One of the boys just kept saying the word over and over, trying to figure out what it means (she said something like "variety of colors"). Finally, I heard him ask her what it meant. He couldn't figure it out from the context of their little game. And, if I can't come up with a good definition, we look it up. This way I am modeling dictionary skills.

My dd is slightly dyslexic, so I like to make sure she is reading correctly, so I have her read out loud to me most of the time. However, today, she was reading a library book to the boys while I did the dishes after lunch, and I counted that for her reading for the day. I could hear the kids laughing at the story and talking about the adventure afterwards, so I figured she (and they) got it.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Calicokat7

Pathway Readers Grade 3?

Unread post by Calicokat7 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:09 pm

gratitude wrote:My ds7 is almost finished with his grade 2 pathway reader books. How is the content of grade 3 for age 7? At what point is the content of these books going to be beyond the early elementary grades?

I realize Pathway books are not MFW, but I still thought I would ask here since it is this kind board that led me to them. :)
We've used Pathway Readers up to grade 5. The last chapter of the grade 5 reader uses the n-word several times but the moral of the story is good. You just want to be prepared.

The 6th grade Readers & workbooks are much different that the grades 1 thru 5. More just experts from great literature and poetry than whole books. The workbooks are different too in that more time is spent on discussing what was read than practicing lang. arts. I was disappointed when I got the 6th grade workbooks and saw how much different it was.
1850 to Modern, fall of 2012
dd 13, dd 11, ds 9, and ds 7

MFW 1st Grade, spring 2012
dd 5

LA in Baltimore

Re: Pathway Readers Grade 3?

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:21 pm

If I remember correctly (it has been a bit since I've had a 3rd grader!) the grade 3 reader has a storyline about going to the dentist which is probably much more accurate from when I was little compared to the experience children have now. You may want to read it yourself first. I just marked the pages off and let my children know why we were skipping them. Didn't need them worrying about going to the dentist! :)

cbollin

Reading Comprehension / Vocabulary?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:35 am

gratitude wrote:How do children learn reading comprehension & vocabulary? How do they learn it with MFW?

My ds8 is reading 1 - 2 hours a day this summer. I keep feeling like I am supposed to be doing something. Asking questions or discussing the books read or something???? I really feel like I don't know what I am doing in this area. It feels similar to when I first started teaching him to read, and I didn't have a clue of how to do it. Now I don't have any idea of how to take the next step, or even what the next step is, or if this will just naturally occur as we work through ADV this year.

So how does this next stage of learning work. I remember reading comprehension questions in school. Was that to help us learn or to know if we read the book or not? I see my ds reading so I know he reads the books. I do not know what he remembers from the books. He is reading & learning from his own initiative, and a part of me hasn't wanted to interfere with the process. I want to allow him to enjoy his reading without having to give a book report. 8[]

When do I work on comprehension & vocabulary with a home school student? When do I not work on it? When will I work on it with MFW? I look forward to your insights ladies & gentleman.
Carin,
great questions! Book reports are a way that classroom teachers can have students "prove" they glanced at a book. They don't usually have the time available to do a more effective evaluation called Narration.

Narration is used reading comprehension for those questions that you have this feeling you are supposed to do.

So, do some narration questions from books on reading time.
Also, listen to your child read during reading time -- this will help you to know a lot about their reading.

lots of ideas for help on narration out there. But basically, it's your WH questions "who is in this story. did you like that character? why/not? " Where does it take place - What just happened in the story? what do you think will happen next.
and that covers most reading comprehension questions. sad, but true.

links
narration cube
http://www.pennygardner.com/narrationcube.html

random CM narration ideas - have these in a jar to pull out a few at a time
http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/narration/
http://www.squidoo.com/narration

You can go out and get formal discussion guides. MFW uses Progeny Press in jr. high years. So personally, I'd wait until then to have formal guides.

Vocab:
ECC: vocab book is Geography from A to Z, and some vocab is in window on the world, and other books
CTG and RTR, the vocab book is English from the Roots Up
there are vocab and dictation exercises in PLL and ILl. and spelling power has a dictionary section too
jr. high language arts vocab is with Progeny Press guide.

I feel like I"m leaving out a bunch of stuff. coffee

-crystal

Poohbee

Re: Reading Comprehension / Vocabulary?

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 am

I just wanted to pipe in and suggest that you just let him read and enjoy during the summer. Don't worry about narration and reading comprehension with his summer "enjoyment" reading. As a reader, I wouldn't want to have to narrate on each book I read. It might take away some of the enjoyment of reading. Actually, as I think about it, you can kind of do it in a fun and informal way. As my daughter has been reading books this summer, every once in awhile I'll ask her, "How is your book coming along? Is it a good book? What's going on with the main character?" And she is glad to tell me a bit about what is going on in her book.

Even during the school year, if he has some books he's reading independently for enjoyment, don't require that he does narration for those. Perhaps have a book that he is reading "for school" during his "reading" time, and then ask him to read aloud from and narrate from that book. During the school year, I usually have my dd reading a book during "reading" time, perhaps related to what we are learning, and she is also reading some book independently that she has chosen, for her own enjoyment. So, at any given time, she usually has 2 books going at once. Or, if your child doesn't like to read two different books at once, you could alternate. First, have him read a book that is related to your content that you will ask him to narrate from, and when he finishes that book, let him choose a book and just read for his own enjoyment...no narration required.

I have been reading a book called The Book Whisperer. It is by a 6th grade reading teacher. She has really neat ideas about reading. She just wants her students to love reading. She asks that they read 40 books during the year, but they get to choose the books, and they don't have to do book reports on the books. She gives them 30 minutes of class time every day for independent reading. That is almost unheard of in most classrooms. Most of her students leave 6th grade just loving books and loving reading. The 2 main things she does which seems to get them to love reading is allowing them to choose their books and giving them designated time to read.

I, too, like to give my dd choices about the books she reads, but I often select 4 or 5 books and then let her choose from those...for her "reading" time books. I select books using recommendations in the MFW TMs and in other books about reading, such as Honey for a Child's Heart and Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook. For her independent reading, I allow her to choose whichever books she wants, but I check them before she starts reading to make sure I approve and the books are not filled with junk, as so many books published today for kids and teens are. (I'm familiar with many children's authors, and you can learn a lot about books by reading reviews online). Anyway, you might want to read The Book Whisperer. It has really given me a lot to think about when it comes to reading instruction.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

kw4blessings

New and have questions

Unread post by kw4blessings » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Kim S wrote:I am considering using MFW next year. I just can't figure out how to use two different guides [in my current program] and I know that MFW is big on teaching both together. I called customer service which was wonderful btw and spoke to them and figure I will need 1st grade basic and the Adventures next year. I will have a 1st grader and 3rd grader.

I do have a question about reading. Are there readers included in this curriculum? I see the read alouds but what about readers for the child? Also when I look at the lesson plans for MFW the ones laid out like that have always confused me a lot. I really should print one of the samples off so I can hold it and figure it out.

Any other advice or recommendations you can give me would be great. Thanks so much.
Kim
Hi Kim,
I can only speak on 1st here, as we won't begin ADV until next fall. As far as readers goes, 1st grade has a Bible reader that is the main reader for the program. It covers most of the typical Bible stories that are covered in children's Bibles. This reader is used along with the reading/phonics lessons until later in the year (day 126) when they suggest having your child read for 10 minutes a day from a children's book (in addition to the Bible reader).

I was a little skeptical at first on the lack of "readers" in this program, but have been thrilled with the results. My dd began the year as a reluctant reader and has really taken off with the 1st grade phonics. She is still a little hesitant to pick up an "easy reader" book, but LOVES her Bible reader and typically reads each story fairly easily. She loves to read it again and again to relatives.

I picked up several other "readers" at last yrs HS convention, the Christian Light reader for grade 1, the Rod and Staff readers, and some of the Sonlight recommendations, just so we'd have some good readers to add to this year. But, honestly, haven't felt the need to really use them yet. We've picked up one or two, but MFW is working so well, we're sticking with it as written for the most part.
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

asheslawson

Re: New and have questions

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:02 pm

I researched curriculum for an entire year while my now 8 year old was in pre-k. I planned to pull my son out of public school the next year, but wanted to really research my options. I read reviews, reviews, reviews, printed sample guides, searched libraries, book fairs, book stores; oh my, I really remember struggling to choose!! My reasons for choosing MFW & for sticking with it (which is sometimes tough - we all get that grass is greener feeling):

1.) Ultimately - I prefer the week at a glance layout of the guide with notes behind the week layout. Granted - sometimes I need a little more detail - but most of the time all I need is in the guides. And when it is not - this board has a great group of moms / dads that really help out. (More on that in my next point.) The reason I prefer the week at a glance is because - sometimes life happens - sometimes my kids just don't get done with it all. I use a very cheap, general teacher planner & map out my kids lessons for math, spelling, English, writing, etc. in that planner on a 'week at a glance' style too. That way - we use the MFW planner for science/history/bible/art, etc. They have a checklist in their planner for their individual items. What this means to me, is if suddenly my granddaughter arrives unannounced, or we have a doctor's appointment, or we finish early, etc...the kids can pick up where we left off or work ahead, without having to flip back & forth to check it off. I guess that sounds silly - but with 4 adult children, 2 I homeschool, 3 pre-schoolers I babysit & teach, and infant granddaughter, and a husband & pets....life can really alter some days in ways I did not plan! For me - I just didn't feel like the day planner would work, because I was afraid they would not finish certain things in a day, but if we were on the new day, we might not get them done.

2.) This board is much more active, IMHO. I can post a math question or a science difficulty that didn't go well - and I have really had fun learning deeper than we did had the experiment or lesson gone as planned. Sometimes others can offer such great insight that I didn't think of.

3.) When I have had great concerns the office has been very helpful. David Hazell even called me back once to make sure I knew the best plan of action for my then 10 year old who came out of public school very deficient in math. We have now almost attained the goal - we won't finish 5B by May (his end of 6th), but we will be very close!!!!

4.) Overall - I have been very happy with MFW's recommends for other subjects. When I wasn't sure - I switched, but I always came back to MFW's - I saw how they worked when I stuck with them. That being said - you have the freedom to use whatever works for you on any subject.

The next part of this portion is lengthy, & really only applicable if you are interested in my experience with the recommends from MFW for a really tough to teach student. I switched to R&S briefly for English, but came quickly back to ILL with my 5th grader last year. R&S was great - but having no previous experience with the structure of R&S, I found ILL offered a style that works better for me. It's also easy to tweak a lesson to work on something he (or she - my daughter is in PLL now) needs to work on. I let my child use A Reason for Spelling one year, at his pleading, because a friend used it. He liked it - I had no problems - but it was much more expensive overall if I continue to buy it every year. Also - a lot of repetition for the words that he knew to begin with. He is a very good speller - and we are back with Spelling Power & doing fine with it. My daughter uses R&S for 2nd grade, which is the recommend, and she loves it. As for writing - we struggled back & forth with writing. But finally after thinking I just couldn't make it work - we are back to Writing Strands - and it is really coming together. It has just been very difficult with my 12 year old who was in public school through 3rd grade and the school was far behind where he should have been . Teaching him discipline & stick-with-it tenacity has been TOUGH. My daughter, on the other hand, even though she is my wiggly child and always going, going, going, is actually a far better disciplined student. She started with MFW K, then 1st & is in RTR this year.

5.) MFW includes a few read-alouds with the deluxe, but their guide lists many other readers that go well with the curriculum. We have tried to find some in our library successfully, but our library is small. We have found many for very inexpensive prices at homeschoolclassifieds.com or Half Price Books, or substituted books we have here on or off topic. I don't feel like we miss out at all when we don't have some of MFW's suggested readers.

6.) LASTLY - and a big one for me....I don't know HOW I would handle multiple guides for bible, history, science, art, music, etc. I LOVE that we come together as a family for these topics. It is special - and leads to wonderful discussions - I wouldn't change that for anything.

Lot's of info...& many may have very different experiences. But those some of the main reasons I chose MFW.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Kim S

Unread post by Kim S » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks that was very helpful.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Kim, I find used Abeka readers and used Pathway readers for my kids, but I have two dyslexic kids that I want to practice reading at grade level to me so I can make sure they are progressing.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Wendy B.

Could I add reading program to MFW 1st gr??

Unread post by Wendy B. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 am

mom3littlekids wrote:Hi again!...i am really interested in MFW 1st gr for my oldest ds who will be 6 next month, for our first yr hs next yr....i like the looks of the program, but my only hesitation is the reading aspect. My son is an advanced reader, finishing K in ps right now. I would like the phonics portion to review with him, but he seems to already learned this in ps...but im not certain as i was not the one teaching him. Dont want him to be bored with this because i like the Bible aspect of this level...So, could i do the phonics as review/spelling and then add a reading program??...(Emerging Readers??) i thought this might be a nice way to be sure of his phonics knowledge but still get the reading aspect that i like. Any thoughts?? :-)
Since it will be your first year homeschooling with a child coming from a PS background, I would caution you about adding too much. MFW 1 is a full program, but not overwhelming with busy work, which will allow you the time needed to build good habits/routines. These good habits/routines will benefit your homeschool in the years to come.

There are plenty of people that have used MFW 1 as a review of phonics or as a spelling program. If your child doesn't need the reading review then you could easily add in some easy readers that are available from your local library. The tendency with a purchased program is to want to use the program to the full extent. So the question is.....If you purchase the emerging reader set, are you willing to let it become something that is dropped if the amount of reading becomes overwhelming for your child?

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Julie in MN

Re: Could I add reading program to MFW 1st gr??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 am

I agree with Wendy about being cautious. I do think that when I brought my kids home from public school, it helped to keep a full day of school hours in order to keep up momentum. However, during those hours, it helped to have a lot of active learning, a lot of time to evaluate my kids in different subjects as well as character areas, and a lot of independent or free learning in the afternoons, exploring books of their own choosing and activities they designed based on what we learned.

If you're just purchasing a set of good books for your son's reading level, then I'm all for having a well stocked bookshelf! But if the books come with a lot of "assignments," as to what to read and when to read it, then that's where the caution comes in. I like MFW's method of allowing kids to read what interests them, rather than what is assigned in every minute. I also like the more Charlotte Mason methods of talking about books, rather than answering detail questions about minor points. You might want to read up on the idea of "narration," since it's something that public school teachers rarely have time to do these days -- so they invented worksheets :) Here are some threads to expand on these ideas,

Narration (including Marie Hazell's thoughts) http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=500
Comprehension http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11178
Using 1st with an advanced reader http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8822

Okay, and here's one more thought. I always have so many thoughts !!
My youngest taught himself to read before K, so his ps teachers just had him read books while the teacher taught the others. When I brought ds home to school in 3rd, I ended up going back and teaching some of the K/1 phonics, because he really had only learned to read by memorizing, which only goes so far. I'd make sure your child doesn't need the phonics lessons even though he can read.

Best wishes on your exciting year ahead!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

mom3littlekids

Unread post by mom3littlekids » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:52 am

Jeanette P wrote:I just ordered the new 1st grade curriculum earlier this morning! We are very excited! Our oldest daughter has been at a neighborhood public school for kindergarten this year.
Next year will be our first year of homeschooling and I wondered if there would be a need to supplement this curriculum with any additional reading/phonics programs? Thanks for your insight shared already within this thread.
I am not sure if others who have used MFW 1st have supplemented...?

...i was asking if it would be doable to add the reading program, since my son is already reading. He sounds words out well, and seems to already covered most phonics instruction this yr is ps ( i am planning on meeting with his teacher to make sure what he has covered), i just didn't want him to be bored covered material he has already been through...and was considering if i added the reading program, it would be a good way to keep his reading moving forward.....

Just my thoughts, but maybe others who have used can tell more...this will be our first yr... :)

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 am

I've taught MFW 1 with a child who was doing some reading. I'm currently working through it with a child who need lots of review.

I am not familiar with emerging readers. If it is a collection of readers, then it would be doable. In the MFW 1 grid there is a check box for reading review. Simply allow your child to do some reading during this time.

If emerging reader is a program with questions, projects, etc. Then it might still be doable but would probably be overkill.

With my reading child that worked through MFW 1, I used Pathway Readers ( since I already owned them) and easy readers from the library. I did not use the Pathway reader program which had workbook pages. The best way to keep his reading moving forward was to read. MFW 1 was the reading program part of his reading plan.

Jeanette- There is no need to add in an additional reading/phonics program. For a child who takes off reading, simply start reading easy readers from the library. If the child doesn't need phonics instructions turn the lessons into spelling lessons. For a child who progresses at a "normal" pace, just read the bible reader in the program, play the games, and have some easy readers around if they want to read more. If a child needs extra help, do lots of review of previous lessons.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:25 am

Wendy B. wrote:There are plenty of people that have used MFW 1 as a review of phonics or as a spelling program. If your child doesn't need the reading review then you could easily add in some easy readers that are available from your local library. The tendency with a purchased program is to want to use the program to the full extent. So the question is.....If you purchase the HOD emerging reader set, are you willing to let it become something that is dropped if the amount of reading becomes overwhelming for your child?
I think this is good advice. I am also not familiar with their readers, but in my experience with adding some supplementary reading in mfw k because I thought she'd need the extra practice, it wasn't really necessary. It wasn't bad. I could add it in, but it just was something that my child could have done without fine. The care that goes into Marie's program is awesome. We did buy a set of Bob Books, and although we've occasionally used them for extra practice, I preferred the short stories in K because of Marie's meticulous planning and having already introduced the words through word list and blend ladder. With Bob Books, they do list words to introduce before reading and flash cards, but because I had a full reading and phonics program, it was extra work I didn't really "need" to be doing.

As I've looked through the teacher's manual of MFW 1st, I feel like it's going to really be plenty to keep us busy and am really loving what I see! I don't think anything would be necessary for supplemental materials in areas of phonics, reading, or math.
Julie in MN wrote:I do think that when I brought my kids home from public school, it helped to keep a full day of school hours in order to keep up momentum. However, during those hours, it helped to have a lot of active learning, a lot of time to evaluate my kids in different subjects as well as character areas, and a lot of independent or free learning in the afternoons, exploring books of their own choosing and activities they designed based on what we learned.
I'm not sure if this is a concern for you but if you feel like you want to spend more time on learning than the 1 1/2 to 2 hours that mfw 1st usually takes, I also suggest that you look at spending more time on active learning, free time, doing the nature walks / journals, or maybe using the extra time to do a park day or let your child do a fun extra-curricular activity they are interested in.
Julie in MN wrote:I like MFW's method of allowing kids to read what interests them, rather than what is assigned in every minute.
This is also good advice, if your child is able to read well, mfw 1st has recommendations, as does this board, to tweak the program slightly to be more challenging to a fluent reader and you could use the Honey for a Child's Heart recommendations for beginning readers library books as well as just pick some your child might be interested in. You might be able to even find readers that coincide with the science and math concepts being taught. I actually believe as I skimmed that section some were early readers. I know MFW K they had those on the book list for older siblings or advanced k'ers.
Julie in MN wrote:My youngest taught himself to read before K, so his ps teachers just had him read books while the teacher taught the others. When I brought ds home to school in 3rd, I ended up going back and teaching some of the K/1 phonics, because he really had only learned to read by memorizing, which only goes so far. I'd make sure your child doesn't need the phonics lessons even though he can read.
I would second looking at this and making sure your child is not memorizing and not really learning to read phonetically. My dd has an excellent memory and so she often memorizes words and doesn't like having to learn to read phonetically, so I constantly have to make sure she hasn't just memorized a word or story, because I often find that's the case :~ . I try to explain to her that doing that will not work all the time. Phonetic reading is truly important. It gives you a life long skill. I think of it like this, imagine when your child is in college and comes across a word in their reading they've never heard. If they've learned to read phonetically, they'll probably figure out how to pronounce it on their own, but if not, they'd struggle. Do you want them mispronouncing it in front of a lecture hall with some 300 + students? Not saying your child hasn't learned phonetic but just saying you should double check because a lot of early readers aren't reading phonetically.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

mom3littlekids

Unread post by mom3littlekids » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:53 am

To answer the question about my ds reading...he "seems" to have learned phonics well this yr is ps..he does sound out new words, and now what sounds letters, and letter pairs make....so, thats my concern about "teaching" what he's covered already...but don't want him to miss anything either as you have mentioned, since it is such an important foundation.....maybe after i talk to his teacher things will be clearer...or as mentioned, may just let him read extra along with the program...

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:40 am

I think an idea might be to hold off buying any supplemental materials until you get the mfw 1st package in the mail and then read thoroughly through the manuel, look at and skim all the materials and see if you think it'll be necessary at that point. It's hard to get a feel for the program online if you haven't seen it in person.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:36 pm

As I read through your post I'm thinking he has just finished Kindy. I don't think most public schools complete all phonics in Kind. They are still working on phonics in 1st and 2nd grades.
MFW 1st grade program actually finishes the phonics started in Kind. and even accelerated the program a bit to do all the rest of the phonics needed (1st and 2nd grade levels) and have it all done by the end of 1st grade. I really think when you get the program you will find it to be very age appropriate and complete. If he is still sounding out words a lot, then it sounds like he isn't really a fluent reader yet. MFW 1st will be a great tool to help him get there!
Just trying to encourage you a bit!

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

mom3littlekids

Unread post by mom3littlekids » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 pm

ok..i finially got the Bible reader page to open, and printed it out for my ds to read...read it with no problem....only stubbled over the word wisdom, but sounded it out without any help from me....so maybe this will help determine his ability..?

mommaklee

Unread post by mommaklee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:19 pm

You could take a look at "The Ordinary Parent's guide to teaching Reading" by Jessie Wise and Sara Buffington. You can skip to the end portion that deals with more advanced phonics and still use it to teach younger children to read.

It is the most advanced and thorough teaching of phonics I have seen, all in one book, and is the first one I have used twice. No fluff, no frills, no cartoons, just straight up phonics. Lessons take about 10-15 mins a day.
Jenn

Wife to Jacob
Mama to DS (9), DD (8), DD (6), DD (5), DS (3), and DS (1)

2011-2012: MFW-K, Adv
2012-2013: MFW-K, MFW-1, ECC, plus lots of printables!
2013-2014: MFW-1, CtG

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:55 pm

mom3littlekids wrote:ok..i finially got the Bible reader page to open, and printed it out for my ds to read...read it with no problem....only stubbled over the word wisdom, but sounded it out without any help from me....so maybe this will help determine his ability..?
So, it sounds like your student is doing pretty well with reading, even unfamiliar words that haven't been memorized?

As for the MFW-1 phonics lessons, you have several options.

1. Since your student has only had K lessons, you might still work on phonics, it's up to you. MFW-1 will go through all those unusual sounds and spellings, like ai, oa, gn, gh, etc etc.

2. Or, you could take a middle road and use the lessons but make them more about spelling and not require as much practice.

3. The third option is just to use something else, a "reading program" that is for kids already reading, as it sounds like you feel more comfortable with. As you see, a lot of us here don't do reading "lessons." MFW tends to use good books, narration and discussion, some notebook summaries, no actual reading program. However, I've read posts by folks who get Rod & Staff's Pathway readers (e.g. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 176#p75203), as Wendy mentioned, or other reader programs out there that have workbook type lessons. At my house, my ds used to do a little "checklist" for some of the books he read, using an old Pizza Hut form, and he'd rate books on different qualities and then I'd ask him why he chose that rating - so I was adding that little activity to make sure my very active boy actually thought about what he read. It's always fine to try things that feel right for your child.

Either way, it sounds like you do want to add reading material, since your child is already able to read the Bible reader pretty well. If a package of books is easier than the library and it's affordable at your house, then it might be nice to have those on hand. I'm always in favor of having more books! And if someone else has chosen the stories, it's sometimes easier than trying to make choices yourself. There will also be readers mentioned in your teacher's guide and Honey for a Child's Heart, as lea plz mentioned.

Jump in and try it if it feels right. Just remember that if your day gets too long, then you could back down or ask on the boards for some ideas to scale back.

Best wishes as you begin,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:14 am

I did not read all the replies so I'm sorry if this is redundant or disagrees with someone as I don't mean it to be.

Emergent readers is just a list of books to read. In one of her guides there is some questions that go with the books to ask that are not needed. We use the emergent readers as listed on her website.

Drawn into the Heart of Reading is a reading program that is time consuming and I wouldn't recommend it for a first grader.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed May 01, 2013 9:58 pm

I am currently in my third journey through MFW1. I am going to share some of each venture since I think it might help.

First time: his reading jumped to a second grade level in the 3 week K review. He was my oldest and being a newer homeschool mom of a K/1st grader I did it as written. The Bible reader was easy but he still learned SO MUCH from the program.

Second time: young first grader not ready to read. He still pulled so much out of the program as his reading progressed and progressed. Science for him was ADV with brother and so were projects so it was a modified MFW1 for a younger sibling.

Third time: she turned 6 in Jan and is actually K. She loves her Bible notebook and devotional and art and reader. I am using a different phonics. So hers looks different yet.

In answers to your questions:

I love MFW1. It is my favorite MFW program of the ones we have done. I love the fact their very first history is the history of the world God gave us in the Bible complete with timeline and starting with creation. At this point I really can not imagine not using MFW1 for first grade. It is so very good. The notebook is great for early writing and we have done the Drawing book now 3 times. It is the reason my kids draw better than I do. I do think this program is worth doing even with a child who reads.

What you could do:

Phonics in schools usually go through second grade so do the phonics for later spelling and sounding out difficult words. Expect it to be fairly easy.

Read the easy to read Bible reader for the continuity you will want with the scripture readings and notebook.

Use the HOD emerging readers and have him read aloud to you 15 minutes a day as Marie would suggest starting day 125. Carrie does have questions for them in Beyonds Appendix. I wouldn't buy the TM for those questions though. Just go through them on your own with him reading aloud to further his reading. I am doing them right now with my second grader and reading through the Beginner Bible is wonderful.

Where is he at in math? You will have to decide to use MFW1 math or something else.

He will learn a lot in the Bible history and science. The phonics have early spelling too.

I hope this helps.

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 am

I know you've already gotten tons of replies, but just wanted to add my thoughts :)

We are finishing MFW1 right now. My daughter has progressed from K level to about a third grade reading level using MFW1 phonics program. It seemed to happen overnight. The other great thing is that she now LOVES to read! It was a struggle to get her to read anything before. Now she's reading chapter books any moment she has free.

I think the key to fostering this love of reading has been the gentle, yet thorough phonics approach in 1st (thanks, Marie!!!), as well as letting her pick books she is interested in and just read for pleasure. (Which in our case is anything and everything related to horses.... we have a horse-crazy 6 1/2 yo!)

So, my suggestion, as many have already said, is to use the phonics as written and add lots of readers! Even non-fiction children's books on topics he's interested in would be good. Best wishes!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

mom3littlekids

Unread post by mom3littlekids » Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks so much for all the replies!...it really does help to get all your input!...i have alot of options, so not real sure what we will do, but at least i know there are many things i can do with MFW 1st!

Joyhomeschool

No "reading" as a subject....will we miss anything?

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:59 pm

starryiz929 wrote:I really think we are going to make the jump and use MFW next school year. I was thinking of using CLE (christian light education) language arts and then writing strands with it.

BUT....CLE also has a "Reading" subject set that teaches poetry, main ideas inference, analogies, homophones, context clues etc.....Does the regular curriculum in MFW cover topics like that? I don't want my kids to miss out on anything they might need but I cant see us doing MFW plus a math, LA, and reading program separately. We'll be using MFW 1st and MFW ECC (for my 4th grader) next year.
There is a reading square but not curriculum. The language lessons teaches a lot of the topics your describing. We use book basket books for "reading" as in reading practice and comprehension.

Also some times I use mcguffys readers for "reading" which also with beechicks teacher guide (Mott media sells it) will cover all those topics you mentioned.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2