Book Reviews & Extras - Elementary Boys

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
esoloj

Re: What do you do for assigned reading for your 5th grader?

Unread post by esoloj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:14 pm

My son really likes The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black (think knights and castles), The Burgess Bird Book, The Burgess Animal Book, and Mother West Wind.

TriciaMR

It's all about finding the right motivator...

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun May 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I have a 1st grader that "doesn't like to read." Well, today at Sam's Club I saw a Lego story book (now, my boys LOVE Legos). Guess what my boy is doing right now? Sitting in the big recliner reading this Lego story book! So, if you have a Sam's Club, look for the Lego City story book - it has 6 stories in it, that I would say are definitely 1st grade level.

Postby TriciaMR » Sun May 22, 2011 9:48 pm
Even better - they each read one story to me at bedtime tonight out of the new book, instead of me reading to them! Gotta love it... Now, if we can just keep the interest...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

705emily

Re: It's all about finding the right motivator...

Unread post by 705emily » Sun May 22, 2011 9:39 pm

That's so great!!! It happened to my ds too! At 6 he was really not motivated to read at all. Then... one day he saw a picture of a blue whale and found out it was the biggest creature on earth. All of a sudden---he wanted every book that the library had on sharks, whales, and other sea creatures. :-) His interest was so strong that he'd sit and slowly figure out words--just to find out the information he wanted to know!! I could not believe it! Two weeks ago he stood up at Homeschool Presentation night and gave a presentation on sharks. He gave an extremely detailed description about the anatomy of sharks, from the names of each fin to the differences between males and females. .He made 6 posters of his favorite sharks, and talked about each one. He made an ocean box this year for science and added all the creatures he learned about. He wrote up index cards with facts about each sea creature, and then pasted them onto a display board and we entered it at a local science fair. After talking the judges' ears off with all the things he had learned, he won a prize for "Best Display" ...all because of something that caught his interest!! The right motivator is powerful!!!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

Dusenkids

Unread post by Dusenkids » Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 pm

For us it is dinos although legos are a hit too. I might have to go shopping :) CONGRATS on the find!!
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

rxmom

Unread post by rxmom » Tue May 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Trish,
My boys will read or write about anything that has to do with Legos!! I bought my 12 yo the "history" of Legos book and the Complete Star Wars Lego Book for Christmas and he reads this almost nightly...actually he wrote an IEW paper on history of the Lego company...I say use what works/motivates...thanks for sharing.

Delcey :-)
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

Cyndi (AZ)

Early Elementary Avid Advanced Readers?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:08 pm

gratitude wrote:What books are you giving your early elementary student (ages 7 or eight) who is reading around a 5th grade level or higher?

I have been looking at Honey for a Child's Heart. The picture books, for ages 4 - 8, he has lost interest in. He is wanting chapter books by this point, and he is reading approximately 1 hour a day on his own. The section for 9 - 12 year olds has some of my child hood favorites listed, but I am concerned about content.

What books can I use that are age appropriate for content, but engaging and interesting for a boy who wants to read chapter books?

P.S. I think I will add the fact that he is emotionally sensitive to some topics.
I don't have a boy. I have an advanced reader dd, who is the epitome of sensitive.

The first 17 Boxcar Children books. Note: these kids live without a parent.

Henry Huggins series by Beverly Cleary.
Mouse and the Motorcycle series by Beverly Cleary.

The Cricket in Times Square by Garth Williams.

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White.
Stuart Little by E.B. White.

Magic Tree House books came highly recommended, but my dd did not care for them AT ALL.

The Littles series by John Peterson are adventurous.

I told my dd why I was thinking of all these great books for a boy, and she suggested "Mr. Putter and Tabby" books and "Oliver and Amanda" books. They are picture/chapter books that she really, really enjoyed at that age and still loves to read, even if they are below her reading level.

Mr. Popper's Penguins is another awesome one -- which I sincerely hope they do justice to with the upcoming movie. So hard to trust that, though. :(
Julie in MN wrote:Hi Cyndi! I was hoping you would chime in on this thread, too, since you were in the exact same situation, weren't you? Ready for advanced reading but not for advanced topics.
It was definitely more of a challenge when she was 7yo, but - I'm still there . . . ;) I think it may be a bit easier with a dd, though. There is quite a bit of historical fiction geared more for girls, IMO, which my dd has grown to love so much.

It's tough to be a kid that doesn't like "fantasy" books these days. I tried to tell my dd that Narnia is an allegory and that Aslan is like Jesus and the Witch -- "Witch?! Forget it, Mom. I know what an allegory is, but I still don't want to read that." *sigh*
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Dusenkids

Re: Early Elementary Avid Advanced Readers?

Unread post by Dusenkids » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:54 pm

I have read many, but not all, in these sets so take it for what it's worth.

Geronimo Stilton: Newspaper Mouse who lives in New Mouse City, goes on several adventures. Do pre-read them as a few do get into ghosts, spells and the such.
CamJansen: 5th grade girl and her friend Eric use her photographic memory to solve mysteries. One caution, I wouldn't let my 5th grader run around by themselve like they do in the book. They do get into a couple sticky situations. There is a Jr set but have not read any of them.
I like Magic TreeHouse. Some of them do get into the culture's religions so you may want to pre-read some of them, talk about it first. One thing I really like is that some of them now have a non-fiction book to go with them.
I avoid Bailey School Kids. To me, they are just strange books. Example: Vampires don't Drink Lemonade, or Aliens Don't Wear Braces. Four kids think everyone around them is strange and they try to figure out who they "really are" Just not my kind of book.
Childhood of Famous Americans: Little harder but are great if he is into real-life books. They are written like a story be stay close to the facts. Books are many presidents, Boone, Ford, Wright Brothers, Walt Disney...
Ten Commandments Mysteries: I've have only read #9 but the children use the commandments to solve mysteries and figure out the best way to fix the problem.
Jigsaw Jones: More mystery books
Aurthur (Aurthur and DW, kid show) has some chapter books but I have not read them.
And who doesn't like a little Ameilia Bedelia...

HTH
I'm sure I can think of others I have used but it's late...
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

davimee

Unread post by davimee » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:54 pm

How about Henry and Ribsy? I think there are several Henry books by Beverly Cleary. Also a book about Ribsy, if he likes dogs.
Emily - Wife of one wonderful man, Mommy of two terrific girls (11 & 8 )

This is our second year with MFW, using Creation to the Greeks. :)

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Thank you ladies! This board is so helpful. :-)

You have my wheels spinning, and have given me some great ideas of books that I have never read, and threads that have more good ideas. I feel like now I have a direction to go in, and can work on making this come together.

Thank you!

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:02 pm

I have the exact same child! Some of his favorite series are the Wally McDoogle by Bill Myers and also the Dixie books by Gilbert Morris.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

TriciaMR

Complete Book of Animals for reading

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Another Reading Motivator...

If you have a child that struggles with reading (maybe even dyslexic, like mine) or just seems not interested in reading, my boy has really liked the "pull out story books" from the Complete Book of Animals. I know this is an "optional" resource in ECC and EXP1850, but he has specifically asked if he can pull out all the story books and staple them and read them. He's reading one every couple of days, and then he comes and tells me all the interesting facts about the animal that he can remember. I've also been having him read the individual pages to me as they are assigned in the "2nd/3rd grade supplement" in EXP1850. When we answer the questions, if he can't remember the answer, I show him how to go back and find it in the text. (I do the writing for him, though.) He also loves doing the dot-to-dot and other puzzles in that book, so when that's an option, we'll do those instead of a reading page, which I think makes him enjoy the book even more.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

DS4home

Any recommendations for summer reading?

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:08 pm

mom2h wrote:DS is finishing 4th grade, and I am beginning to make up a Summer Reading List. Any suggestions for 10 yo boys?
I have Homer Price on the list, for starters!
Thanks,
Rhonda
Max Elliot Anderson has some great boy books in his Tweener Press Adventure Series. These were some of the first books my ds actually enjoyed reading! We have Reckless Runaway, Legend of the White Wolf, and North Woods Poachers. They are great adventures with Godly values, around 120-150 pages divided into 14-17 or so chapters.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

MelissaB

Re: Any recommendations for summer reading?

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:18 pm

The original versions of Heidi and The Secret Garden - - Great for both boys & girls. :-)

One more recommendation...

We just discovered the Sugar Creek Gang Books. They're inexpensive and are good for both genders. It's about a group of five children who hang out and take different adventures. Written a long time ago, but still apply to today.

Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Books a 10 year old boy might enjoy:

I recently found out about a couple of book series that my ds has really been enjoying. They are The Three Cousins Detective Club and The Cul-De-Sac-Kids. These are short chapter books with around 60+ pages. Compared to The Boxcar Children that are usually around 100 pages. There's also the Nate the Great series as well but those might be a little too easy depending upon your child's reading ability and interest. There is the Magic Tree House series but the books talk about magic and some of them have evolutionary content in them.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 am

Our evaluator just recommended a website classical homeschooling . org that has a page called "1000 good books" and they are categorized by age/grade and type.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't have time to read all of the responses, so I apologize if this suggestion was already given, but Sonlight is selling some summer reader sets. I didn't buy any, but I checked out what they had listed from our library. My girls have enjoyed some of them!
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

lovehomeschooling

Books for boys?

Unread post by lovehomeschooling » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 pm

blessedmomx3 wrote:My husband and I are looking for new chapter books for our boys. We started the Magic Tree House series last year but it was getting a little "too magical" for us. Anyone have any suggestions or know anything about any of the ones listed below? Thanks for your help!
Kelly
Homeschool Mom to triplet boys
>
> Imagination Station Books
> Voyage with the Vikings
> Showdown with the Shepherd
>
> The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids
> Ready, Freddy
> Horrible Harry
> Secret Agent Jack Stalwart
> Zac Power
> Frindle
> A to Z Mysteries
> Stink Moody
> Nate the Great
> Roscoe Riley Rules
I loved the Sugar Creek Gang and Boxcar Children when I was little.
DS10- MFW RTR, AAS3, Rightstart Math E, and Rosseta Stone Spanish
DD8- AAR 2, AAS 1, RS B, and Abeka Handwriting
DS6- MFW K, RS A, AAR 1, and Abeka HW
DS2- Tagging along
Used MFW K 2012, 2013, 2016 MFW 1st 2012, 2015 Adv 2013 ECC 2014 CTG 2015 RTR 2016

MelissaB

Re: Books for boys?

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Ditto the Sugarcreek Gang books! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Some of the Nate the Great books were on the ECC book basket list, and my son enjoyed them. The ECC manual mentioned a few of them have a friend who dresses like a witch, so depending on your family views about such things, you may want to prescreen. The girl in no way is presented as "magical" but more as just a quirky little girl? My son found them all silly and fun.

The author of Frindle has written tons of children's chapter books, but that particular one is more for a middle school audience, I think. The topic might not connect as much to a younger child -- basically that something, such as a pencil, could have been named any other word instead, such as "frindle."

The Imagination Station books to me seem like carbon copies of the Magic Tree House, but for a Christian audience. There will be some imaginary things in there, though probably not as "magical." Some facts or history, but mostly kids on an adventure.

I can't recall any of the others on your list, but there are more ideas about books for younger boys here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3868

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

albanyaloe

Unread post by albanyaloe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 am

I also second the Sugar Creek Gang and Boxcar Children, especially the first 19, written by the original author. It depends if the child is reading the book themselves or having it read aloud, but here are a couple more which we loved.

The School Mouse by Dick King-Smith (a mouse learns to read, but no magic. I have not read other books by this author)
The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden (a very sweet story about a cricket and a boy, whimsical. I wouldn't really call this fantasy, like modern fantasy, which I do not like, it was really lovely, a good study of people and characters)
My Side of the Mountain
My son says please say "Sign of the Beaver" by EG Speare, I have not read it yet, but he loved it.
Some of Gary Paulsen Books, like the Hatchet series, when the boys are above 10, are great. Sort of survival series. Just watch out, not all his books are ok.
Wheel on the School (by M de Jong)
Some by Beverley Cleary such as Dear Mr Henshaw, Henry and Ribsy and such, my son liked.
The Saturdays and Thimble Summer (E. Enright)
Hugh Loftings Doctor Dolittle- My son loved these, read aloud to him, even though they are old- fashioned. There are quite a few of these, I like the old ones best, cos they've left all sorts of good stuff out the new ones. (I must mention that some consider these kind of colonial and racist. When we read them aloud we omitted reading anything that may sound racist- that way we could still enjoy the benefits of the good literature)
Charlotte's Web- EB White (So much better than the movie)
Arthur Ransome series- Swallows and Amazons- he has just started on these

I hope that gives you all some happy hours behind the pages of a book,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

donutmom

Unread post by donutmom » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 pm

We liked many of the above also.

I'll add a series that got my one son interested in reading on his own. . . and he hasn't stopped since! We "stumbled" across it at the library, and requested others in the series through inter-library loan.

It's a older series called The Happy Hollisters by Jerry West. Most of the books were written in the 1950's. There's a mystery in each book, and my son liked the characters (the Hollisters are a family with 5 children). They're filled with fun and goodness and respect for others among other thing. Ssshhh, don't tell, but I even enjoyed reading a couple of them (beyond the first one that I had read-aloud). ;)

Happy reading,
Dee

4myboys

Unread post by 4myboys » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:20 am

I am famililar with most of the titles you mentioned. My boys were in Public School until a year and a half ago, and I helped out in the library. Most of these would be considered high interest early chapter books and are very popular with the grades 2-4 (sometimes younger or older depending on the personal reading level). For the most part they are entertaining stories without much substance.

My 3rd grader loves Stink Moody and for the most part his books aren't too bad (though he refused to read the Zombie Walk one, which I was pleased about). There will be some interesting trivia thrown in along the way as Stink is a trivia buff.

The boys used to read the Bailey School Kids books, but they all have the kids in the story imagining that someone in their school or neighbourhood is some kind of fictional being (vampires, Frankenstein, warewolves, aliens, Merlin, witches, etc). I'm glad they've moved on.

Zack Powers is a kid spy, so boys love that one, I could take or leave them. Some people are fine with all these themes, some aren't. Much like the magic Tree House series which doesn't contain more than a sprinkling of facts, if you are looking to stretch your child's mind, you won't find it in these books. If you are just looking to get them really interested in reading, then you might be fine with them. I look at it like cartoons, or junk food. A little is alright, but too much can really spoil the appetite for anything more challenging or indepth. My kids are starting to grow out of the habit of most of the twaddly books (thank goodness).

If you are going to allow them these types of things for free reading, might I suggest that you pick some meatier books to read aloud to them? That way you can stretch their imaginations and vocabulary, and they may transition to better literature easier. This is what worked for our boys.

My 3rd grader has been stretching a little more of late -- he has recently discovered the Herbie Jones series (no magic, monsters or spy gadgets), and my 6th grader has discovered the Hardy Boys. They both read every Encyclopedia Brown Book at the library. Beverly Cleary has some good fiction -- the Henry Huggins books for example. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Maybe try looking at a Sonlight Book list for your children age, or other similar book list. I'm not sure yet what MFW recommends as I've not received the materials yet.

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm

My 11 year old loves Sugar Creek Gang and Mandie. Another place to look for a good list is on Ambleside.com. They have lists by grade level and since Charlotte Mason didn't believe in "twaddle," most of them are good. :)

I loved the Happy Hollisters when I was young, but I got a few a year or so ago for my boys and decided to not keep them. They have a "bad" kid in them who is always causing trouble and he never gets in trouble for it, so nothing is resolved and it just keeps going on. Frustrating because other than that they were good books. :(

Depending on reading level and availability, my 14 year old used to read all the historical fiction Landmark books. He's a big history buff though and my 11 year old won't hardly touch them! He likes mysteries and science stuff. :)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

Bessers

Unread post by Bessers » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:32 pm

We started The Magic Tree House and stopped for the same reason as you. We love The Imagination Station series though! My son also enjoys The Hardy Boys.
Mother of three great kids:
7 yo son doing Adventures
Almost 5 yo daughter doing K
Infant daughter with Down Syndrome doing therapies
Completed MFW K & 1

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 am

We stumbled across several finds @ our library - not all of these have I read, he's reading so fast I can't keep up so I do a quick skim and then at night or when I have a free moment I am trying to read through them more completely. When my ds started out reading he read quite a few non-fiction & some, ahem, comics like Tin-Tin - which I would highly recommend it got him hooked on reading. ;)

His favs:
Saxby Smart - 3 volumes, author Simon Cheshire. Reminds me of Ency. Brown, I have personally read the first one, but he has zoomed past me to the second in the series.
Hank the Cowdog - John R. Erickson - light and very funny.
TinTin
Answers in Genesis - Dinosaur books
Scout - I haven't completed this book yet, but my son read it and enjoyed it.
Hardy Boys - Old ones, not the casefiles, I need to reread...
Henry & Ribsy - I need to reread...

We also have from the library & I haven't read any of these (quick disclaimer):
Big Red
The Homeschool Detectives - Mystery of the Homeless Treasure, John Bibee

I also have found old children's versions of several classics like Robin Hood, Jungle Book and Wizard of Oz which have been read and loved.

Oh how I love books!! But that's the English Major in me. :-)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!