Book Reviews & Extras - Elementary Boys

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Buttercup78

Re: Books for boys?

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Bill Myers has a good series about a kid named Wally McDougal.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

TriciaMR

reading books for 5th grade

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am

C4Car wrote:My son recently picked up at the library Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer by John Grisham. Anyone read this? Any comments on the content? I should read it first to find out for myself, but he is wanting to start it NOW!

It is so hard to find books that he is interested in. We have read EVERY Hank the Cowdog. We love Hank, but it is time to branch out a little. He reads Alot and very fast, and we are at this stage where he is ready for longer chapter books but at age 10 the content is not always appropriate. Trying to find a balance. Thanks, Christie
Has he read any of the original Hardy Boys (I don't know how many are "original" vs. "newer", but let him tackle book 1)?
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Amy C.

Re: reading books for 5th grade

Unread post by Amy C. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:03 pm

My older boys love the Hardy Boys books. They are in the 6th and 8th grade. Yes, my 8th grader still reads them even though he has recently wanted to expand to other books, but we haven't found a series for boys that age that I am familiar with enough to trust. I have been meaning to do some research to give him other options. They have been reading Hardy Boys for 2-3 years now. Just wanted to add a vote for the Hardy Boys!

I thought of another series my boys read and enjoyed. The Scripture Sleuth series. They are mystery books that require the reader to look up scripture to solve the mystery. Not sure what age they are written for, but my boys each read them somewhere around the 5th/6th grade.

Amy C.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:13 pm

hmm . . . I'll admit to being a Grisham fan. I got hooked in my 20's and read every new book as it came out. Now, I'm not too interested. I was intrigued when I saw he was writing "for kids" so I read the first Boone novel a couple of years ago (it seems, anyway). My dd is in the 5th grade and I would absolutely not let her read Theodore Boone. I wish I could remember specifics on why not. I believe there was some language (mild), but it's mostly the overall theme of the child being involved in things without his parents knowing, or caring. Plus, there's a sub-plot about a young girl whose parents are splitting up. It's probably things that most kids in public schools deal with all the time, but my dd remains a bit sheltered - or insulated I should say. She knows what's going on in the world, but it doesn't happen in her face, if you know what I mean. She doesn't watch main stream TV. I wouldn't want her reading the book. I do strongly suggest that you read it first before giving it to your son. You may decide that he's perfectly mature to handle it, but it needs to be your educated decision.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm glad Cyndi can tell us about the book, cause I haven't heard much talk about that one.

Some series you could try:
Homer Price (kinda silly, like the first one when he starts the donut machine & can't stop it)
Henry Huggins series (also can be goofy, but a little more modern than Homer)
Encyclopedia Brown (kid detective, mostly solving kid-related crimes by noticing clues)
The Hardy Boys (these boys are older, solving more "criminal" crimes but written in the 1920s-30s; I haven't read the ones by someone else "and" the author, but they look quite different)
The Boxcar Children series (#1 through #19, written by the original author)
Sugar Creek Gang? I keep meaning to read one of these, but many say they are good.
Viking Quest series by Lois Walford Johnson (a little quaint, and might be a little bit older than 5th grade)
Did he like the missionary biographies? There are tons more of those, or bios of famous Americans as well.
Has he read the Narnia series?
For kids who like nature, there's a "One Day in the Rainforest" type of series
There are also a lot of animal-related books, if he likes animals (Rascal, Old Yeller; I would personally only let a 5-7th grader read Jack London books like Call of the Wild with guidance)
There seem to be new Christian series out there, but I haven't read them: Cooper Kids, Red Rock Mysteries, Chuck Black series (maybe older than 5th grade),
Have you checked the list of "classics" in the back of your manual, listed by grade? You might want to make sure he's read classics like Charlotte's Web.

Enjoy,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

C4Car

Unread post by C4Car » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks so much ladies! We may try Hardy Boys again. I tried a year ago but he was so focused on Hank he only read half of one. I also ordered more of the missionary biographies as Julie mentioned (thanks) May try some more of the classics too. He hasnt read the Viking Quest series either. @Cyndi - That was kind of my gut feeling so thank-you for verifying for me.
Married to my wonderful husband for 19 years
Blessed with 2 great boys, ages 11 and 9
Have completed MFW K, MFW 1st, Adv, ECC,CTG
2013-2014 RTR

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Postby Poohbee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 pm
I remember reading the Sugar Creek Gang when I was a kid and loving them. I think they are making a comeback.

Right now, my girls and I are reading the Kingdom Series, by Chuck Black, as read-aloud books (well, actually we're listening to them on audio book). They are wonderful! My girls love them, and I do, too. They are an allegory of the Bible...full of knights, sword fights, and adventure. We purchased them on audio book from the Black family at our state homeschool convention a couple of weeks ago (Black is a ND author), and the audio books are wonderful!!! They are very professional...read by 2 character actors from England, and they have sound effects, too. Chuck's daughter, Emily, composed music for the series, and the music is played on the audio books, as well. It is beautiful music! I highly recommend them! Chuck Black also has a follow-up series called the Knights of Arrethtrae, I think, but we haven't read those yet.

I also recommend some that Julie mentioned...Encyclopedia Brown, Homer Price, Henry Huggins, the Narnia series...all books that my eldest dd has read and loved, but they would be appealing to boys because the main characters are boys (well, except Narnia...there are girls as main characters, too).
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:57 am

Postby MelissaB » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm
Another vote for the Sugar Creek Gang... Great adventures, with great character and deep insight all the way through.

Also... Anyone else love the Christian Heroes series from YWAM Publishing? There are over 30 biographies, all full of adventure, wonderful examples of courage -- and all happened in real life. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

albanyaloe

Unread post by albanyaloe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Postby albanyaloe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:58 pm
Hi Christie,

You've received so many great suggestions, and I too think the Sugar Creek gang are a great, clean series.

Just wanted to mention an idea, which you may already use. When my son gets stuck in a rut with books that don't challenge him as I think they should, or when he is struggling to find something to read that he likes, I often will offer to read aloud to him. I choose a good book, that I really like, that I think he will like. (for me that means no Jane Austen or Emily Bronte I'm afraid) And then it usually only takes one or two chapters of reading aloud and he's asking for the book and away he goes to read it alone.

We've successfully done this with Carry on Mr Bowditch, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn amongst others. ( I believe the latter two books should be carefully explained as I think they contain some objectionable material though considered classics. I would not read them to children who are not mature enough)

Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

thelapps

Unread post by thelapps » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Postby thelapps » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:07 pm
My fifth grader is an avid reader. Was reading Sugar Creek Gang books in first grade. So I don't know how he compares to your son. I purchased the Little Britches series for him over his last two birthdays and all my reading boys just love them. Their friends have all been borrowing them too. Author Ralph Moody also wrote other books. I just purchased Come On Seabiscuit! for my 14 yr old and they all devoured that one too. :) So much good reading out there!! They say the Little Britches series is like Laura Ingalls books; only from a male perspective. Best wishes!

Marie
Wife of Thomas, my favorite man for 17 yrs
HS Mom to 5 ds's: 15, 14, 11, 9, 7
It is only that which we understand that we can communicate; and what we understand, are really impressed by, we cannot fail to cummunicate, because it becomes ourselves, manifest in all our speech and action. — Charlotte Mason
Marie Lapp
5 sons using WHL; AHL; & RTR

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Postby Amy C. » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:53 pm
We, too, love the Little Britches series, but as a read aloud. They are really great books overall, teaching character/morals/ethics with subject matters that really appeal to boys, but there have been a few words that I have skipped/changed. Everyone is different, but I would have liked to have had a heads up on these words. It just so happened I chose to read the first one aloud to my boys, and I am glad I did. We have read the first 2-3 in the series, and I plan to read the rest of the series to my boys. I would not have wanted my boys to have missed them, but we will do them as read alouds. I would recommend previewing them.

Amy C.

C4Car

Unread post by C4Car » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Postby C4Car » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 am
Sorry for not responding sooner. I am excited to add some more suggestions to our book list! You are all wonderful, and always give such great advice. We actually drive over 2 hours each month to a library. The selection is amazing, but if you don't have an idea what you are looking for can be overwhelming. This library also has the Chuck Black Kingdom Series on Audio. Jen, we just read (listened) to the first one! We met Chuck Black last year at convention and love his books. So grateful for Christian authors. Thanks again for all the suggestions, Christie
Married to my wonderful husband for 19 years
Blessed with 2 great boys, ages 11 and 9
Have completed MFW K, MFW 1st, Adv, ECC,CTG
2013-2014 RTR

gratitude

Books for a 3rd Grader??

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:37 pm

4monkeyz wrote:I didn't want to highjack the previous post about 5th grade reading books...so here I am starting another book post and screaming HELP!! :-) I'm having trouble finding enough reading material to satisfy my 3rd grade son.

He just finished "Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass," unabridged, one week. Seriously?! Yes, there are many layers of understanding to it, I asked him some questions and he answered them, so I am satisfied he didn't just skim it but followed it through. He says he loved all the poems and rhymes. I'm thrilled but having trouble finding more books with content and age appropriateness. :~

He's read: Magic Tree House (earlier ones), Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Hank the Cowdog, Henry & Ribsy, TinTin... Anything. I have tried Boxcar Children, no. I have tried Black Stallion, no. (there is a middle school girl at our church who adores horses so I don't know if that is why he is avoiding horse books?) Cam Jansen, no. He also refused Secret Garden, so I'm thinking Charlotte's Web would be a no. I have previewed Black's Kingdom Series, but it's a little much for him right now. I did just get Treasure Island, I think he will like that and I remember it being a fav of mine as a child. Help!!! What else is there??? Hm. Feel like Winnie the Pooh here..."Think, think, think." Lol. ;) Thanks in advance.

ps. I did look through the suggestions on the other post and I did get a few requests put in to my library (homer price & sugar creek gang sound interesting). thanks ladies!
My ds9 is in 3rd grade so I am going to ask him his favorites that he has read this year. Here it is :-) :

Narnia Series (7 books)
Ben and Me by Robert Lawson (It is about Benjamin Franklin and very funny)
Mr. Revere and I by Robert Lawson (It is about Paul Revere and very funny)
KIng of the Wind by Marguerite Henry and other books by her: Misty of Chincoteague, Stormy Misty Foal, Justin Morgan had a Horse (about first Morgan horse).
Come On Seabiscuit
Young Patriot Series: William Henry Harrison, Phillis Wheatley, Abner Doubleday, George Rogers Clark, William Henry Harrison, Amelia Earhart.
Little Pilgrims Progress (Fabulous Book!)
Hobbit
Childhood of Famous Americans Series: Albert Einstein, Buffalo Bill, George Washington, Helen Keller, Thomas Edison
Louis Pasteur
Jed Smith
The Black Stallion
The Sign of the Beaver
Scripture Sleuth Series: Concord Cunningham Returns & On the Case
Dragons of the Deep (Christian Perspective)
Tales from Dust River Gulch and More Tales from Dust River Gulch
The Toothpaste Millionaire
The Captive Princess (Pocahontas)
Riding Freedom
Phoebe the Spy
Freedom Crossing
The Doll People
Naya Nuki: Shoshoni Girl Who Ran
Hero Tales Volume I
The Saturdays
Little Miriam of Galilee
A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
Missionary Stories with the Millers
Wisdom and the Millers
Pathway Readers
The Story of the Wright Brothers and their Sister
Benjamin and His Cat Grimalikin (wonderful book)
Marco Polo
Robin Hood
Treasure Island for children
Big Horn Spoon
Snow Treasure
Indian in the Cupboard
The Whipping Boy
Life in the Great Ice Age (from a Christian perspective)
Tirzah
Triumph for Flavius
Viking Quest: Raiders of the Sea Series ~ sequels.
Door in the Wall
The Wonderful Winter
The Family Under the Bridge
Twenty and Ten
Encyclopedia Brown series

Yes, my son loves to read. I think it is at least half of his education at this point. I hope something in the list helps.

MelissaB

Re: Books for a 3rd Grader??

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 pm

I have to give a cheer for the Sugar Creek Gang books. It's a group of boys going on adventures and solving mysteries. It doesn't have "character lessons," so to speak - it just has great character throughout the books. They're really enjoyable.

Also, if he's a good reader, you might want to look at the Hero Biographies about missionaries from YWAM [Youth With A Mission] Publishing. You'll read Nate Saint, George Muller and David Livingston with ECC, so don't buy them yet. :) Try Jacob DeShazer, Jim Elliot, Hudson Taylor, Jonathan Goforth, and definitely Brother Andrew and Sundar Singh. There are over 30 biographies in that series, and they're all terrific.

YWAM also has Heroes of History - Captain John Smith, Davy Crockett, Christopher Colombus... all those guys went on adventures. :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks ladies!! I requested a few of the titles from my library. All very good books. :) I love having readers in the house, but it just solidifies the need for bookshelves and our book collection needs to "grow up" - board books won't cut it anymore. Lol.
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 pm

MelissaB wrote:You'll read Nate Saint, George Muller and David Livingston with ECC, so don't buy them yet. :) Try Jacob DeShazer, Jim Elliot, Hudson Taylor, Jonathan Goforth, and definitely Brother Andrew and Sundar Singh. There are over 30 biographies in that series, and they're all terrific.
Just a heads-up: ECC also uses Cameron Townsend, Gladys Aylward, and Amy Carmichael.
Also, EX1850 schedules William Carey and 1850MOD schedules Brother Andrew, Corrie TenBoom, and Hudson Taylor.
Although reading a book twice can be fun, too!

Julie

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:56 am

Julie - our ECC box came and I "caught" him trying to sneak the missionary biographies!! I told him he should probably wait and be surprised later. :) My kids had so much fun this year with Adven. that waiting for ECC seems as hard as waiting for Christmas day.

What do you think of the Trailblazer series?? It has been ages since I read them....
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

beccawalker2000

Unread post by beccawalker2000 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:16 pm

I have this same problem with my 3rd grade son. Just a side note here about The Kingdom Series. My son did read them, and LOVED them. We borrowed them from a friend, and he's been begging for his own copy ever since. Some of the content was above his comprehension, but overall, he "got" the story and was able to see some of the correlations to the Scriptures.
He really enjoyed Charlotte's Web, so maybe give that a try. He also picked up my Kindle copy of Anne of Green Gables and started reading that! We had watched the movies with his grandmother and ever since he's been intrigued by Anne. :)
He's reading biographies...can't keep them around. He just finished Francis Scott Key and is starting Abraham Lincoln, both are in the Giants of Faith and History (or Science) series by The Sowers.
I also have a several books by BJU Press from their Light Line books for children. He has really enjoyed those as well. I have looked, but I'm not sure where to find these. I remember reading ALL of them when I was young and would love to complete our set.
Nancy Drew (the older ones) and Trixie Belden series may also interest him, if he enjoyed the Hardy Boys.

Hope some of this helps!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Aw, what wonderful boys you all have!

About the Trailblazers, I'm not a big fan of them. They're not objectionable, though, so they are probably fine. I think it's more like I'm "disappointed" that they seem to be about missionaries and they really aren't, except for typically a brief interaction late in the book. And they seem a bit formulaic? But if I had a child who liked them, I'd probably buy them all :)

Julie

albanyaloe

Unread post by albanyaloe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:45 pm

I'd like to second the Sugar Creek Gang series. Good and clean, and there are lots in the series, so they should keep him going for a while, or at least long enough for you to find those other titles ;-)

My son also enjoyed Sign of the Beaver, My side of the Mountain, Hatchet, Island of the Blue Dophins, Carry on Mr Bowditch (wonderful book).

Happy reading,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

thelapps

Unread post by thelapps » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Some more suggestions-

Books by Ralph Moody

Books by Sterling North

Incident at Hawks Hill

Books by Wilson Rawls

Books by Thornton Burgess

The Five Little Peppers Series

Books by Louise A. Vernon

Books by Jim Kjelgaard

Books by Marguerite Henry

If you do a search by author on half.com, it will bring up a lot of choices.

Also homeschoolclassifieds.com has a lot of books. You probably know of other sites.

Best wishes!

Marie
It is only that which we understand that we can communicate; and what we understand, are really impressed by, we cannot fail to cummunicate, because it becomes ourselves, manifest in all our speech and action. — Charlotte Mason

thelapps

Unread post by thelapps » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Oh, and another author is Ken Thomasma. I think that's how to spell it. He wrote Naya Nuki but also wrote other Indian stories. There are a number of boy stories.

Marie
Marie Lapp
5 sons using WHL; AHL; & RTR

mommaklee

Unread post by mommaklee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Awesome thread! I need to save the wonderful lists provided by everyone!
Jenn

Wife to Jacob
Mama to DS (9), DD (8), DD (6), DD (5), DS (3), and DS (1)

2011-2012: MFW-K, Adv
2012-2013: MFW-K, MFW-1, ECC, plus lots of printables!
2013-2014: MFW-1, CtG

4monkeyz

Boys of Wartime...

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:25 am

I found this really neat book series at the library, "Boys of Wartime" by Laurie Calkhoven. It would work beautifully with Adventures or US history studies. The first one is "Daniel at the Siege of Boston 1776" and then the next one is "Will at the Battle of Gettysburg 1863." I read the first one and it is really good! There are historical facts at the end of the story along with historical figure descriptions, a timeline of actual events, etc. It has aprox.177 pages, so a small paperback. Just a fun set of books. I have to run to the library now and read the next one. Heehee. :-)
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

MelissaB

OT: Boys' Reading

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi, All ~

We've heard that it's difficult to find wholesome fictional reading for boys, so we wanted to share:

Sugar Creek Gang books by Paul Hutchens (available through YWAM or Christianbooks online) are wonderful adventure books with Biblical teachings scattered here and there all the way through. Great character, too.

Also, the Moody books (Summer with the Moodys, Winter with the Moodys, etc.) by Sarah Maxwell are great for both boys and girls.

Hope you all are having a great fall.
Melissa B.
Julie in MN wrote:Hi Melissa,
I love to read good book reviews. I have a grandson coming up in the ranks, too :) I wonder if the Sugar Creek movies are as good as the novels (I don't think he's up to novels yet).
We have all 5 Sugar Creek Gang movies, and have enjoyed them all. The books are "soooooooooo much better than the movies," according to my daughter. :)
Julie in MN wrote:Melissa,
Good to know the videos are enjoyable, I might get dgs some for now; he's not ready for the books. Love your dd's comment, and I should have guessed :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13