Compare ECC books to Years 2-5

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:55 am

Describe the years above ECC
kstedl wrote:Are there book lists that go along with each week (other than the required reading that comes in the package) like there are in ECC? I'm referring to all the years above ECC (CTG, RTR, etc.). If so, do you find them wonderful? And, if so, are the books recommended for all ages?
Thanks for your help!
Kris
Yes, book basket is part of CTG, RTR, EX1850 and 1850-MOD. The books will have a variety of reading levels to help provide for multi level teaching. When a book is best suited for older students, there will be notes in the basket list that says that.

My kids love basket time.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 am

Hi Kris,
We are finishing up RTR, and I have really enjoyed the book basket lists in the teacher's manual. There are books on every subject -- New Testament stories, science topics, musicians & artists we are studying, and historical figures from Marco Polo to Shakespeare. There are also books on every level -- picture books, step-into-reading books, up to background books for mom & dad to read. Oh, also some very helpful videos we have watched.

I wanted to introduce a G.A. Henty book to my son in 6th grade. It's a big step up for him, so I wanted to choose carefully. Marie gave very good descriptions of the ones in this historical period, including what type of child might like each book best (one who enjoys lots of battles, etc.). I was very grateful for the help and happy with our final choice (By Right of Conquest).

So... Yes, yes, and yes!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

kstedl

Unread post by kstedl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 am

Oh, thank you guys so much! You know, I have really been struggling with whether to switch next year - I love the book lists, teacher's notes, high school program, and that there's a co-op in our town using another program. However, I'm still feeling that God might be leading me to stay with MFW due to so many things - like I LOVE ECC (why fix what isn't broken!), I love the teacher's grid & how everything is laid out for us, I love book basket, and more. I'm so happy to know at least that they continue the good book lists. :)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:15 am

donutmom wrote:I was at a local home school social event last night, and had the opportunity to "advertise" for MFW. I've used Adv. and just started ECC in January, so that is all the experience I could give them.

In telling them about the recommended book list on each subject, the question came up about the upper levels...
  • Are there as many picture books recommended in those levels as in ECC? Or do they move into using a majority of longer books?
My guess was that it was about the same mix as ECC, but I didn't want to say so, as to not lead them astray. So who is willing to share this tid-bit of knowledge for future "MFW plugging"??

Thanks ahead,
Dee
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:46 pm

What fun to share & help those families out!

I will tell you that EX1850 definitely has younger books, since it has double-asterisked books specifically for 2nd & 3rd graders included in the lists.

I remember checking out picture books throughout CTG and RTR. Some of them were familiar from ECC -- such as Count Your Way Through books. Some were on King Tut or Knights. As for a detailed comparison of percentages, I would have to get out the guides because my brain isn't that good LOL! Maybe someone else who's doing them more recently will chime in?
Julie

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:16 am

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:48 pm

tagging on a bit.....

From ECC through 1850-MOD, the programs are designed to be used for grades 2-8. I think the book basket list reflects that and offers a wide mix and variety of books. And the book basket list will have notes for the approximate age level of the book.

One example of how it is done in Year 5: During the WWII weeks, older kids are studying WWII and dealing with that, but there are a few books in there that are for younger students where the war is mentioned, but not the focus of the book. My younger child read a book in book basket that was about the Navajo language code talkers when older child was studying the icky stuff about WWII. So there is balance like that in the list as well as balance in the levels with books that are suggested for the state study along the way.

-crystal

cbollin

Book basket in Years 2-5

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 pm

mamanamadee wrote:I have been wondering . . . are the Book Basket lists in years 2-5 as "full" as the list for ECC?
yes.

too much detail...Hoping someone can verify my counting. My brain quit :-)

I think CTG and ECC have about the same amount of roughly 200-250 books listed in book basket.

Then RTR is closer to 300,

EX1850 300 b/c I just stop counting after a while.

1850MOD --- At least 400.

-crystal

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Hmmm, so Crystal, why doesn't the book basket feel as full as it did in ECC?

The book basket has been the hardest part for us (disappointed wise) because our book basket experience was so rich in ECC. It's just felt so different with CtG.

Help me here, because I've been trying to figure it out...is it because there are less "picture" books?

Perhaps it's just an expectation thing on my part.

I love everything about CtG (even our failed science experiments ;) but I've struggled with BB this year.

Any thoughts? I ran out of those weeks ago LOL
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 am

You know, book basket wasn't as big a deal to us in CTG as in ECC. My son said it was because no storybook could top the real Bible -- how can a mom argue with that :o) We also felt quite sad about all the Egyptian stuff.

Ds focused on science and such during his BB time. Aesop fables were a hit. There were also some excellent videos we watched, ranging from Veggie Tales to Richard Harris as Abraham. We enjoyed some of the art overview books, seeing how artists portrayed the Bible stories. We looked at things from the Hebrew culture, such as Hebrew writing and feasts.

Each year with MFW has really had a different flavor for us. ECC was our biggest library year here.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:09 am

Oh Julie! You're wonderful! You have no idea. That's it in a nutshell but I couldn't see what the problem was! In ECC you have all those wonderful books about the people and culture. And Marie, being, well Marie, did such an amazing job of finding the real gems that book basket is this beautiful, amazing rich thing.

Our book basket this year has been mainly about science too but putting it in the way you said is perfect!

The Word of God is more than enough and we're not missing out on a thing!!

Thank you-- I have so much peace.

You're wonderful!
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 am

We also focused a lot on the science of CTG. but my boys also enjoyed books on Egypt and greek cultures as well.

RTR and EX1850 are full of great books. We have thoroughly enjoyed the BBB for those years.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 am

Hi Lainie,

I remember thinking the same thing when we went through CTG. First of all I totally agree with Julie or maybe I should say her son, LOL.

Another reason I think it feels like "less" is that there are just not as many books written about this time period as there are in the other years. You notice that the read alouds are not related to the time period. I asked about this one time. Although Marie found some good books, she did not feel that they were good enough to make the curriculum cut. So, knowing how great the St. John books were she saw it as a great opportunity to include those in a year. There just are not as many good books to choose from as in other time periods.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Basically, there are sections of history in CTG that just don't have a lot of fun browsing books at my library. I bet your library is similar. We got tourist guide books from a travel agencies to be able to see what is still there today.

but, I remember having more fun near the end of the CTG year with book basket when we did Greece and legends and such.

during the other parts of the year, it was easy to put other books in basket that weren't related to history. Oldest got to read other stuff that we wanted to do. I got to read all about autism and sensory integration therapies.

-crystal

niki

Unread post by niki » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:39 pm

We're in CTG, memorizing pslam 23. I found lots of cute books about sheep and shepherds and some beautiful illustrated books of Psalm 23.

My kids love animals, I'm adding them in whenever I get a chance...I actually need two book baskets, one that's "main school topics" and another that's just "interests" and they have 2 separate times for "free read" and book basket. I've also added in art books for the kids to browse...

I also added in quite a few of our children's Bible storybooks and other children's bible helps and flag the "story" we're studying. They really like that too.

Hope that might help.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:55 pm

We did love the picture books in ECC. They seemed to really capture especially my younger child's heart and we would stay up late discussing how they fit in with our scripture or something else we were learning about.

I have recently started getting books from the other recommended book list in the back. So the kiddies are enjoying those. It's still good but different
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

mamanamadee

Unread post by mamanamadee » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:09 pm

Thank you all so much. Your replies told me exactly what I wanted to know. As much as we are all enjoying ECC, I'm really excited about the history years ahead!

~Naomi
2010-2011 preparing for MFW CTG in the fall
2009-2010 MFW 1st and pre-K/toddler toys
2008-2009 MFW ECC, K, and pre-K/toddler toys
dd12, dd7, ds3