Book Basket - Describe and explain

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
erin.kate

Re: Adv book basket

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lucy. :-) Super grateful for your thoughts!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Chrystal in TX

Unread post by Chrystal in TX » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:51 am

Thanks so much for all of the great replies thus far. I'd like to add a question to the pot if I may :)

Our book basket time is not what I think it should be at this time. I give each of my boys (8 and 6) a timer for them to spend 15 minutes with their book basket. At best, what I get is a flipping of the pictures not really reading. For my 6yo, it's not a big deal. He looks at the pictures of the information books and then may read a little bit of the "fun" books (books that he WANTED to get from the library). My 8yo however is doing the same thing.

Neither one of them seem to be really interested in the non-fiction books I'm borrowing from the library to go along with their history and/or science. They are interested in "fun" readers. (The 8yo won't actually read it unless I make him). But it's like pulling teeth to get them to savor their nonfiction books.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

My boys simply don't consider reading a fun activity, especially reading "boring" history stuff. I'm perfectly OK waiting on "reading switch" to turn on but I just want to make sure that there isn't something else that I can encourage them to do that will help them to be more interested in the books and the browing of the books.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 am

Chrystal in TX wrote: At best, what I get is a flipping of the pictures not really reading. For my 6yo, it's not a big deal. He looks at the pictures of the information books and then may read a little bit of the "fun" books (books that he WANTED to get from the library). My 8yo however is doing the same thing.

Neither one of them seem to be really interested in the non-fiction books I'm borrowing from the library to go along with their history and/or science.
I think pictures is okay. Some kids learn better that way, anyways. If there's a book they are missing that you really love, then you could read it aloud and they might enjoy it better that way. I also put videos in book basket at times, and we watched them during lunch.

I look at book basket as that vignette in the margin of the elementary textbook. Maybe it's a little girl who lived in the area, or a food. It is non-essential information, designed to draw the child into the idea that the information is "real" and that there's "more" to the story. "More" might be a recipe book or a picture book or dozens of other things. And for a non-reader, social-type guy like my son, "learning more through books" might take many years of exposure, maturation, and enthusiastic encouragement from mom (what cool thing did you learn in book basket today??!!) before he really buys into the idea :~

About Adventures in particular, I know there are lots of fun American history books for that age group that we are "sure" our kids will love, but I'll just say that my youngest didn't read those until a later age (Adventures wasn't around when he was in 3rd, so he had those books in book basket in EX1850 at an older age). He still enjoyed them :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Chrystal in TX

Unread post by Chrystal in TX » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:32 am

Julie in MN wrote:I think pictures is okay. Some kids learn better that way, anyways. If there's a book they are missing that you really love, then you could read it aloud and they might enjoy it better that way. I also put videos in book basket at times, and we watched them during lunch.

I look at book basket as that vignette in the margin of the elementary textbook.

And for a non-reader, social-type guy like my son, "learning more through books" might take many years of exposure, maturation, and enthusiastic encouragement from mom (what cool thing did you learn in book basket today??!!) before he really buys into the idea :~

Julie
Thanks so much for your reply. It does help to put things in perspective and give me another way of looking at it!

Really appreciative,

Chrystal

MelissaM

Do you "schedule" book basket?

Unread post by MelissaM » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 pm

AnniAm wrote:I was wondering how everyone handles Book Basket? Do you have the books out and let them choose? Do you assign a certain number of pages? Do you discuss the books? Give me ideas! We are doing RtR and my ds is almost 13 and my dd is 9; both are strong readers. Thanks!

Ann
This is how we do book basket (my kids are 10 & 7, so ymmv). I get all the books from the library and keep them in the living room - on a...bookshelf...not in a basket. Because I'm a rebel like that. Also, because my 2yo likes to dump baskets out, but he's pretty good about leaving the books on the shelf.

Ahem.

At some point during the morning, when I need a moment to take a breath, refocus...or go to the bathroom alone, I yell out, "Time for book basket! Everyone get a library book and read for 15 minutes!"

My 10yo does this. My 7yo...he's not reading independently much yet, and he likes to argue. I tell him I don't care what book he picks, and he can just look at the pictures, but he has to pick something out and sit quietly for 15 minutes. Really, as far as I'm concerned, he can sit with the book in his lap, unopened - as long as he's quiet and still for a few minutes so I can figure out where we are, what we've done and what we need to do next. ;) But, he can never resist the temptation of a closed book, and will eventually open it and at least check out the pictures.

I don't require book basket books to be completed from beginning to end. I don't assign a certain number of pages (even to my 10yo who's a very strong reader), I don't require narrations - though I often get spontaneous ones - "Hey, Mom, guess what!" - I just let them pick and choose as they want to and enjoy them.

:)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

cbollin

Re: Do you "schedule" book basket?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm

In my house, I use to have a crate they were left in. Now, I get home from library and they (the children) swarm me.... oooh.... books! So, the books are on the floor around here. If it is "book basket" no one is forced to finish or like a book. No certain amount of pages or minutes are required either. Sometimes I have to tell them to set a book down and come eat some food or do something else for a little while.

I might ask someone what she thought of a book. Did you like it? what was something special in it? but for "discussion" or "did you learn a lesson from this book" nah.... I don't do that. I've been skimming some of the books, and any talking about them has been along the lines of "ooh.. whaddya think of that part where......." We're in EX1850 this year (7th grader is anyway) and one of the book basket books was an adventure story. My daughter disappeared with the book for a few hours. loved it. it was "below" grade level too. LOL LOL LOL why do people get worried about that anyway?

for book basket, I take as casual of an approach as possible. it's about enjoying books.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:11 pm

We schedule a time in our day for it, but I don't assign specific books, and they are left in our wheeled crate that I take to the library to collect our books. Think of the book basket as a "buffet" - sample a few bites of a couple of dishes, maybe make a whole meal out of another dish, and leave some room for dessert (picture books). Two of my 3 love it. I have one who doesn't like it as much, and only require him to look at pictures - he doesn't have to actually "read" the books. But, he'll bring a book to me and ask what a picture is about and I'll show him the caption and tell him to read it or read it to him. It's amazing how that motivates him to at least try to figure it out. I give him some wiggle room as he is dyslexic and being forced to read when it is so hard for him isn't a good idea.

Also, my two that like to read will come and tell me what they've learned or if they thought it was a really good book. But mostly, I just want them to enjoy it.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:41 pm

I am echoing all that Crystal said, too. We have book basket time daily, but it's just that, time with the books, unscheduled and free. My kids go through the (very large) basket of books and sit wherever and however and read or look at pictures ... I do not assign books, pages, etc. While I put my boys down for a nap and rest myself for 30 min in the afternoon the girls spend that time enthralled with their books. It is their most favorite part of the day. After bb time we move to our history (Adv) and then nature/science, so it sort of sets them up for the afternoon with the fun of Adv. Some weeks we have four books, some weeks forty. We try to have books on that week's lesson, for sure, in both history and science/nature, but I also have a book here and there from the previous weeks (often an ILL book comes in waaaaaaaay after the fact and I throw it in there ... they love it) and one or two about the next week's study. Book basket is truly one of the gems of MFW.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

far above rubies

Unread post by far above rubies » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 pm

I put all of the books into a box and we have a "reading room" with bean bags and such. :) After we've finished Bible, L.A., Math, and Geography, the children go to "book basket" while I do K with the 6 year old.

Once we're done with K (or they've had at least 20 minutes), I call them back and we do Science and art/music.
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:06 am

Our book basket is located on a shelf in our schoolroom. The boys may look at any of the books at anytime they like but I also "schedule" it into our day. They do a computer math program and since they share the computer, I'll have one do math while the other has reading/book basket time. Then switch. Sometimes I let them choose which book to look at and sometimes I'll choose for them if it's something I really don't want them to miss. Sometimes I have them tell me something from the book they read, sometimes I don't. Works for us:)
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

KelsiTX

Unread post by KelsiTX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:09 am

Actually this is our first year to do book basket consistently...but I agree with pp's, it is a blessing in our day! We keep a plastic bin in the living room with all our library books. At the beginning of our year, I had it scheduled at the end of the day....but quickly realized that wasn't going to work. Why? 1) it is a great way to take a quiet trip alone to the bathroom either to use bathroom or pray ;-) 2) more seriously, because we do the read-aloud at the end of our day and having to schedule in "reading time", I decided to schedule (most days) book basket right before history lesson. That way their little minds would already be in tht mode BEFORE we start....it has helped!! They are teaching me stuff, as I don't always get to read all the book basket books! ;)

I had to break up the all the reading...doing it all at once wasn't working...still trying to get my dc to *love* reading...but if yours are motivated readers it probably doesnt matter either way!
Blessed by MFW 4 years (ADV, ECC, CTG, currently RTR)
Married for 12 years to JD
Kassidy (12) 6th grade
Jackson (7) 2nd grade

Yodergoat

Considering MFW K

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:32 pm

sweetgrace wrote:Hello, our son will be 5 in September and we will be starting kindergarten with him. I have been reading about book baskets. What is a book basket and is this part of the curriculum to purchase? I didn't see anything on the website except for the literature package for K.
The books basket that you are reading about is something that is officially started later in the MFW cycle. In K, there are suggested books that go along with each week's unit theme (such as for the C-c-cow unit there are suggested books about farming, cheese making, etc). If you can't find the suggested books that is fine... just sub what you have at your library that matches the theme. The available literature package for K is good for those who don't get to the library much or who have a poor selection there, just to make sure that the child has at least one of the books that have suggested activities to do that unit. Also, they are just nice classic books. It is completely optional and I didn't purchase this, nor did I always find the books that went along with the activities... we just adapted to what we did find. So no real book basket for K, just suggestions that can be substituted if needed. It is pretty easy to find books on the subjects covered, or even on the character themes covered.... even if you can't find the exact book offered.

With the list of suggested books in K, you can know that these have been selected for good content and also that they will either be free of objectionable material or will have a warning. This might come in a form like this:

______ is a good book for learning about ____. It has beautiful watercolor illustrations accompany the rhyming text. However, one page makes a brief mention of witches. You may wish to paperclip this page to the next one or avoid this title if this is objectionable to your family.

That is one good thing about the suggested book list. Helps you know what to expect more than just grabbing random books about a given topic off the library shelf. ;) We are very particular about this and I liked being fore-warned about potential issues.
sweetgrace wrote:Thank you for taking the time to write this all out! As long as there is a book list to work off of we should be good. I just don't want to miss out on good literature. That's what I liked about [our previous program]. However, now I'm learning that my kids need more hands on and MFW looks perfect! Thank you!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

lee2

Book Basket Praise

Unread post by lee2 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:43 pm

We have been so blessed by the recommended reading in the book basket lists. I would never have found these on my own. Thank you for the hard work; many lives are benefiting from all your efforts. Bless you Marie!