Content - Describe your screening of book basket selections

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Heidi

Content - Describe your screening of book basket selections

Unread post by Heidi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:54 pm

kalphs wrote:I have a question about the book basket. Do I have to spend a large chunk of time "pre reading" titles to see if they are age appropriate for my child? For the past three years I have had to do this .
Thank you!
Kathy
No, you are not going to need to pre-read. Simply order your books online, go pick them up at the library, put them in your book basket and then all will enjoy them.

I, too, am very conscientious about what I put in my kids hands. a)after pre-k, K, 1st, Adventures, and ECC my family is on the same page with values as to book selections and b) Marie is very careful to list possible problems with any recommendation and the ages the book are for.

They are meant to be browsed primarily for the love of books. If they choose to read only the picture captions on the advanced books - this is fine. If they choose to only read the easy ones - fine. If one child discovers an interest - let him have at it with more books about the same subject the next time you go to the library.

They are not meant to be readers and you will find that all the children will browse differently with all the books and at all levels. You will be amazed at how much your child will read though and the titles are awesome and you will end up reading them all yourself out of interest anyway. My kids absolutely love to read and it is primarily because of the book basket.

I do wish to encourage families to put in a wide range of the ages of recommended books - no matter the suggested age and the ages of your child. Why? Middle, older children and even adults can always learn from the many excellent picture books. Younger and non-readers can benefit from hearing you read aloud some selections from the advanced selections, reading only the picture captions and also seeing how much more there is to learn on the subjects they might be learning.

I have always been surprised to see how much more they will read if I just put the books in the basket. All the recommendations are not so much just for certain ages as they are for browsing and instilling the love of reading and of books. Kind of like picking and choosing a small sample of each dish at a pot luck supper. You like all of it, but can not possibly eat it all - so you sample a bit of most and pick two or three favorites to actually eat.
Heidi
FL Mommy of 3 "sensational" kids
Homeschooling since Fall 2004
Child 1: Blue LLATL/MFW 1, Adventures, ECC
Chld 2: MFW-K, MFW-1+ joined Adv, ECC
Child 3: MFW-PK, MFW-K + joined ECC

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:51 pm

I noticed in the ECC manual, it will give a grade/age guide for some of the books, so do be sure to read the entire entry. (I was looking for one of the books, and noticed our library system didn't have it, then I read the rest of the entry, and noticed it was for 5th or 6th grade, not 3rd, so I didn't have to worry about it...)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Maybe I am a lunatic (nobody comment on that!) -- but I do try to pre-read, or at least very closely skim, what I put in my kid's hands -- or, really, what I am allowing them to put into their minds and hearts.

I do ask my husband to help me sometimes. Even my mother (who lives fairly close by) is willing to help me peruse books occasionally. Also (I don't know the ages of your kids) but my oldest is now getting old enough and mature enough to help out with this for some of my youngers.

All that said, I do find that I almost always have little or no problem recommending the books in listed in the MFW Teacher's Manuals. And often in the description for the book there will be a "heads-up" about anything you might want to omit for your kids or family. Marie's notes are so helpful that way.
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:29 pm

I know you already got some answers on this, but I just wanted to chime in and say that after 3 years with MFW (and I've used K, 1st, ECC, CTG, and almost done with RTR!) - I don't feel the need to pre-read at all. I trust the Hazell's recommendations completely. They are so careful in the *excellent* choices that they make.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:55 am

Just saying again about what Jenn said....

I like that in book basket, Marie puts little warnings, and grade/age appropriateness reminders on the list. If there is something in the book that might not be suitable depending on the family, they put a note --- well at least for the times that it is obvious. They can't know everyone's preferences, of course :)

They read many many books together and *not* all of them make it onto the book basket list. So, there has a been a certain amount of pre reading already done and Marie leaves little notes to try to help.

-crystal

Fenni

Unread post by Fenni » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:23 am

after hearing David's heart at a recent mini-conference, I feel very confident about their book choices as well. It is always good for us to be prudent parents, though, so good on your Jenn!

kalphs

Unread post by kalphs » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:47 am

These posts have been a HUGE encouragement to my husband and I.
Thank you everyone for your input!
Kathy

dhudson

Book basket books-- are they "safe?"

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 pm

kidswife wrote:I just started the MFW-K program and love it so far. For the Sun lessons I checked out the recommended books from the library, but I wonder what other books in the book basket are like in the K and higher programs.

This question is sparked because I've been trying to also check out books from another catalog. I've been sticking to the P3/4, P4/5, and K levels for my dd. Well, my dd was reading A Big Ball of String which is K-level and in the book, the boy plays with a bunch of string in interesting ways, but then he gets sick and his mother tells him to stay in bed. So the boy follows the "letter" of this order, but not the "spirit" of the order, "Stay in bed". So the boy strings up pieces of string all over his room and even stands up on a chair next to his bed to get more string everywhere. Anyway, as my little girl is reading this, she's saying, "Oh, Mommy, he's being bad," and then when the mom comes in at the end and asks him if he was in bed, he says, "Yes!"
"Oh, Momma, he was lying!"
and I'm thinking, I hope there's some consequence to this in the book, but there isn't. It focuses on the creativity of the boy with his ball of string.

I know this isn't huge. But I do find it just a bit troubling. I was wondering if the books in the My Father's World book basket steer away from this kind of "questionable" stuff?? What have you found???
I am in our 7th year with MFW and have NEVER had to question the books in MFW's book basket. I do get books from Sonlight but I always pre-read and I've never had to do that with MFW. I can trust that the Hazell's have the same standards as I do myself and that they have pre-read everything and if there is a problem they give the parents a heads-up in the TM.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

Re: Book basket books-- are they "safe?"

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Just agreeing with the others, that Marie Hazell is great about giving notes on each book. One example is in the Kindy program books for J J Jewel, Cache of Jewels, there is a note in the manual about that book because of 2 pages in it, and a suggestion what to do about that if you own the book. (I wouldn't glue a library book, but just tape it temporarily.)

Well, with the books in book basket, we get little heads up for books that otherwise are really great to use, but might have a paragraph here and there that might not be suitable. This happens too in some of the missionary biographies where a small part will not be suitable for reading out loud, and Marie gives notes in the manual for that.

also, I've appreciated over the years of doing MFW that the age range of books seemed more to my liking in terms of age appropriateness. I remember trying to use the SL catalog for an extra reading list for my oldest child (before we started using MFW). There was a really good book on the list for Kindy age kids, that in all honestly, I'm glad we waited until my oldest was in 6th grade to read. So I like that MFW includes many (not all) of the same kinds of books, but waits on it.

Then with the book Honey for a Child's Heart, MFW includes a note in the beginning about one controversial series that is not something they'd recommend and they explain why. But that's pretty good out of a 1000

So, I think you'll be happy with the book basket lists.

Here are some threads about
Book Basket, Describe Pre Screening
[above]another prescreening thread

and just to keep practicing various way to link in a thread... here's a link to the Book Basket FAQ/Archive
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=30

-crystal

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Like you I found the same that the books in our previous program were good but were not appropriate for the age of our daughter. I kept saying maybe in a year or two for almost every book we used. With MFW we have yet to find an inappropriate book that MFW suggests or uses and if there is something they warn you. I love it!!!
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 pm

Just pay close attention in the notes for age/grade level. A couple of times I didn't, but I read the book myself (because I hadn't read it before and it was thicker, more novel-type book), and thought, "Not for my 3rd grader, but when we go through this again in 8th grade, she can certainly read this." Then, looking back through the manual, I saw the notes at the end of the description, "Use as a read aloud" or "For grade 5 and older" and such. Really, the books are quite age-appropriate, and you won't have to worry.

But, saying that, I have friends who wouldn't even do Little House on the Prairie books as read alouds in their family, because they don't like the "independent spirit" and sometimes disobedience of Laura. So, it will depend on your level of "safeness"...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

FreshKid

Unread post by FreshKid » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:37 am

I told my husband that I should probably be previewing some of the books we check out from the library (not necessarily on the booklist) for MFWK. Every once in a while, we come across a book that we think my be a problem (like the one you listed). I see them as opportunities for discussion. "Yes, he was being disobedient. You know, his mom told him to stay in bed so he would get well." "Yes, he was lying. His mom knew he was lying. Do you know who else knows? God knows because you can't hide things from God." That kind of thing.

I hope that is clear enough to help. The timer went off in the kitchen...
Beverly

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:06 am

FreshKid wrote: Do you know who else knows? God knows because you can't hide things from God." That kind of thing.
Beverly,

Just to give you an idea... you might consider "remembering" that book (maybe not re-reading it, but just talking about it again) when you when you do the Z Z Zebra unit because that's the theme of it
I can't Hide Anything From God

-crystal

kalphs

Unread post by kalphs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:23 am

mgardenh wrote:Like you I found the same that the books in our previous program were good but were not appropriate for the age of our daughter. I kept saying maybe in a year or two for almost every book we used. With MFW we have yet to find an inappropriate book that MFW suggests or uses and if there is something they warn you. I love it!!!
Our experience was simliar. Majority of the books are still on the shelf waiting to be read when our daughter is older.
I love the "heads up" you get with MFW, it is one of the features which sets this curriculum apart from others on the market.
Kathy aka as "Ms. Frizzle"
Married to Professor Logic
Mother to Little Miss Logic

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:56 pm

MercyMamma wrote:Hi, just a quick question- where is the note about Honey for a Child's Heart? In the TM? I have that book and would like to know which they don't recommend. Thanks!
If you bought Honey for a Child's Heart from MFW, the note was in the front of the book. It was just a heads up about the Harry Potter series. Honey recommends it. MFW doesn't agree. So, I'm guessing they didn't want people to be shell shocked on one book and have "permission" to not do that book if you don't want to. sorry for the confusion on my earlier post.

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:44 pm

MercyMamma wrote:Nope, that makes sense. I am still wondering what other items may have notes or something in it from MFW like that though. ...and if I had the money I'd buy everything directly and support them, but...
As far as I know... all other notes like that are in the book basket list themselves in the manual, or noted on something like the activity booklet for preschool, or activity sheet for the music cd.

So, I think you're covered.
-crystal