K & 1st - Favorite books and extra readers

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Julie in MN

Re: MFW 1st Bible stories

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:01 am

For really simple, I always liked the Beginner's Bible, and they seem to have even more options available now than when my older kids were young.

Depending on the age/attention span of your 1st grader, I do like the Child's Story Bible by Vos, but it is quite complete.

Also, my favorite is just using the NIrV like MFW uses in Adventures, which is the complete NIV but with smaller words and sentences. But again, many 1st graders aren't ready for so much reading/listening.

Just a few more to check out,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Moms,

If you are going through the First Grade you will have each Bible story in your Teacher's Manual already, so I do not know that you will need something else for the first grader. Are you looking for something for your 4 year old or something that would have some pictures for both of them?

You have a good collection to begin looking through from the ones listed. DK used to have an illustrated Bible that my kids enjoyed, but it was not a complete Bible.

Lucy

mlhom4him

Unread post by mlhom4him » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:34 pm

The Jesus Storybook Bible!

My daughter loves, loves, LOVES this Bible! If you can find it, get the Deluxe Set which includes the CD of someone reading it to her. I know that it is available through Amazon.

Mary Lou

mudcuddles

need advice

Unread post by mudcuddles » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:39 pm

robertb10502 wrote:I have Bob Books but would love to find some more readers for him because he gets really tired of reading the same books over and over. So does any one know of good readers??
All About Reading has great readers! Primary Phonics has a nice set as well as the Starfall readers.

jasntas

Good readers and read-alouds for 1st grade

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:21 pm

kw4blessings wrote:So, I am heading to our local homeschool convention tomorrow and am very excited about the giant used curriculum sale. I always like to pick up children's book for low cost. I was wondering if there are any 1st grade level readers or read-alouds that anyone on here really loves and recommends? What kind of must-haves can you tell me about? I do have "Honey for a Child's Heart", but thought I'd post on here for some quick responses before tomorrow. I'm trying to put together a list of books to look for, otherwise I'll come home with a bunch of things I didn't think through and go, "Um...why did I pick this one up?" :)

Thanks in advance!
Ones that come to mind were the ones we used for math. The Hershey's Kisses Addition Book and The Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar Fractions Book. Both my kids were willing to get in on those books. LOL! There were one or two others but I can't remember the names. They may be listed in the back of the TM.

If you have a TM, go through the * books.

You could also check the 1st Grade archives for other suggestions while you wait for other responses.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=22

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

romans8x28

Re: Good readers and read-alouds for 1st grade

Unread post by romans8x28 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:24 pm

We started reading Little House on the Prairie after my Kinder got it for Christmas. We haven't made it through all of them, so they will be part of our of daily reading for 1st. We also have a copy of Charlotte's Web & Stuart Little that she got a couple years ago and have never gotten around to reading.

I'll be watching the thread for more suggestions, too!
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Just a heads up. Some of the 'Little House' books are used in ADV. It's perfectly fine to read them ahead of time but just wanted to let you know just in case you wanted to wait.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

afelton

Unread post by afelton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm

The little house books that are used in Adv. are Farmer boy and On the banks of plum creek. We are reading the two books before that this summer so they will have the background. My kids are enjoying Little House in the big woods right now.

Readers...my son has liked all the Frog and Toad books, Little bear books. They like for me to read The Boxcar Children. Just a few to start! Have a great time. I Love Convention!
Using MFW since 2010.
Wife of Terry since 2002.
M (12) Exp to 1850
H(10) Exp to 1850
E (10) Learning God's Story(recently adopted)
C(8) Exp to 1850
J(6) Learning God's Story

CaseyVG

Unread post by CaseyVG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 pm

We just read My Side of the Mountain by Jean George, there are three in the series, and he's written several other books. They are about a boy that leaves home and lives off the land. My son loved it, and my husband even listened! (he's just finishing K)
Casey
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:43 am

Thanks everyone for your responses. Off to convention.... yay!!!!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

mlhom4him

Unread post by mlhom4him » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:49 pm

Just so ya'll know, there is a series in the picture books that are the Little House books for younger readers. The series is called: My First Little House. My daughter loved them when she was in kindergarten and 1st grade. The series includes: A Little House Birthday, A Little House Prairie, Summertime in the Big Woods and several others.

Mary Lou Hom

mamag3

Unread post by mamag3 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:02 pm

There is a book called My Father's Dragon. We read it when we did Sonlight K. It was such a great story and I just found out that it is a trilogy. We haven't read the other two, but plan to this summer.

We also like The Boxcar Children series. Most recently, we read Mr. Popper's Penguins and Charlotte's Web and my kids enjoyed both. I plan to read Ginger Pye to them this summer. It was highly recommended by a friend.

romans8x28

Unread post by romans8x28 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Has your daughter seen Heidi? Mine fell in love with it so we got her the Puffin Classics book for her birthday. We're about 4 chapters into it and she is enjoying the book, too, though she thinks there ought to be more pictures!
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

cefcdana

Unread post by cefcdana » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:06 pm

My girls (ages 5, 6, and 7) really liked Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Charlotte's Web. They also like the Imagination Station series put out by Adventures in Odyssey.

kimber79

Unread post by kimber79 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:06 pm

During K, I read aloud Winne the Pooh and A House at Pooh Corner to my son and daughter (then 5 and 2) mostly because I never read those books and wanted to but can't seem to find lots of time to read for leisure on my own ;) They are really cute stories although some of the humor my kids didn't get but will later on (and my kids would then ask what I was laughing about!)

Also, we love picture books at home so I would check out the Five in a Row book lists here (http://www.fiarhq.com/FIAR/FIARBL.html) for ideas for other read alouds. Some of these cross over with recommended MFW reading but some don't and they are all really good.

I'm also looking for readers for my son as he is still making his way through BOB Books and some of the Hooked on Phonics readers we were given. Thanks!

MuzzaBunny

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:43 pm

My family adores all the animal stories by Thornton Burgess. They're superbly written and very enagaging. They might be hard to find in your library because they're old books, but you can download some of them for FREE from amazon to a kindle or a computer with the kindle application (also free). We were thrilled to find some there that we hadn't been able to find in hardcopy. We think Reddy Fox is the best one. :-)
Bunny

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:16 am

mlhom4him wrote:Just so ya'll know, there is a series in the picture books that are the Little House books for younger readers. The series is called: My First Little House. My daughter loved them when she was in kindergarten and 1st grade. The series includes: A Little House Birthday, A Little House Prairie, Summertime in the Big Woods and several others.

Mary Lou Hom
I missed this thread the first time around. Thanks for pointing this out! I've never read any of the books. I hear so much about them, I've been really wanting to see what they are all about, but my kids aren't really into chapter books yet, even the 6 year old is very hit or miss for reading chapter books. He prefers picture books still. My library has all of these and I'm going to start checking them out. Can't wait to get a taste of what these books are all about. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

mlangley

Unread post by mlangley » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:50 pm

cefcdana wrote:My girls (ages 5, 6, and 7) really liked Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Charlotte's Web. They also like the Imagination Station series put out by Adventures in Odyssey.

We LOVE Mrs. Piggle Wiggle!!
Grace Christian Homeschool

Using CTG & AHL with 3 children

minnesotagirl

In 1st How Many Library Math Books Do You Recommend Per

Unread post by minnesotagirl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:17 am

teeniebeenie6 wrote:The 1st Grade guide has a great list of fictional Math books for the weekly math segments. I am curious how many you recommend using per week? We don't have easy access to a library so I have been slowly buying them. Thanks for your insight :)
We use the library, so a couple weeks before the time I need them, I sit down at my computer and request as many as I can get on the list. Some weeks I have 3 or 4 from the list, some weeks many more. We read what is available at the library, and go from there. :) We do the same with the science book recommendations.

If I were to have to purchase them, that would be tricky. I would probably recommend finding a place where the books are reviewed or maybe where you could see a few of the pages, to decide if it would fit what you were hoping to teach with your child. I say this because, while all the books are great, some of them are a little too much review for my first-grader (but the 3 & 4 year old love them!). However, I wouldn't want to purchase all the ones in the list. The back of the MFW 1st manual does have a description of the book, which helps.

God bless you!

MuzzaBunny

Re: In 1st How Many Library Math Books Do You Recommend Per

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Yep, exactly what minnesotagirl said. We use everything we can get from the library (5-10 books a week) but buying would be much more difficult. Look them over with the amazon "look inside" feature maybe? I wish I'd kept notes on the best ones and then I'd tell you - I will say, though, that dd has loved the candy ones best: The Reese's pieces math, Hershey kiss addition, etc. I often save those for a Friday and then surprise her with the accompanying candy. ;)
Bunny

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 am

The book recommendations are wonderful, but the curriculum is complete without them. I think of them as "extra" - great if you add them, OK if you don't.

Also, the website: http://www.starfall.com is great for math and phonics at this age.

We used MFW First, and it was such a special year. Enjoy your year! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:45 am

We try to get as many of the recommended books as possible from our library or ILL system. Some weeks it's 5 or more, others 1 or 2. I do agree with Melissa, though, that the books are extras and not necessary for a complete math/science program. Some weeks we get the books and read them, other times, we don't. Depends on how busy we are.
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

MuzzaBunny

Reading book suggestions please

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:11 pm

kewkew34 wrote:Hi, I could use a little advice choosing some books for my daughter to read. Tabitha is almost 6. She has been reading since she was about 3.5 year old. I have been having her read from the Abeka Grade 1 readers I found at the thrift shop several years ago, but she is getting bored with them. She would like some "real" books to read. It was hard trying to decide on what curriculum to use, because I knew she was advanced for the Kindergarten when it came to reading, but she IS having a good time helping her sisters as we go along (we are on the Nn Nest unit right now as we are taking 2 weeks per unit). I just think she needs more. I don't want her to lose what she has gained when it comes to reading.

Another question, does anyone know a free tool I could use to figure out her reading level? I know she can read the grade 1 Abeka readers easily enough. And we had some Magic Treehouse books in the house and I had her read a couple of pages to me. She did really good, not sure what grade level those are. I was hoping for some book suggestions at around the same level, maybe easier.

Then I was also hoping someone would be able to explain how, if she is reading to herself, I figure out if she is comprehending what she is reading. And should I still be having her read something out loud to me? I know one of the reasons I went with MFW was because I like the idea of some of the things in Charlotte Mason, like narration, but I don't quite understand how to have her do that at her age. I would appreciate any and all advice on this please.
DD likes the Step Into Reading readers. I just googled "Step into Reading" and the website does have a guide to the books and choosing the appropriate level, although not a formal tool to give you a grade level. Google it, then click the Parents link and then dowload the "parents guide

For dd who is 6, narration is pretty simple. I'll just ask her what the story was all about, what part was her favorite part, or say something wrong and see if she corrects me (like, "Did you think it was funny when Daisy bit the apple with the worm?" - "No, Momma that wasn't Daisy, it was Sandy...") which often leads to more discussion. I'd dislike being grilled on my pleasure reading, but talking about a good book is really fun. So, we keep it more like a fun conversation about her story. :)

ETA: Yes, I would have her read outloud. It does seem to help with fluency and comprehension and you can catch any trouble spots. It makes this level of narration easier for you too. Plus, she'll learn to read with expression and enthusiasm in her voice - which is so fun for us to listen to!
Bunny

Eyesoflyte

Re: Reading book suggestions please

Unread post by Eyesoflyte » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 pm

You might try the American Girl Books, they may be a little harder than you are looking for, but a lot of fun.

Janet Oke also has a cute beginning chapter book series called Animal Friends that are sweet with very short chapters and larger print.

In addition to the "Step Into Reading" books you might try any of the "I Can Read" books.

Hope you find some great reading materials.
Eyesoflyte

kewkew34

Re: Reading book suggestions please

Unread post by kewkew34 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 am

Funny you should mention the Janette Oke books. I remembered we had one the other night (it was one we read over a year ago as a bedtime story book). I handed it to her and suggested she try it.
I did find some great sites for reading level assessment and discovered she is about at a 3rd grade reading level. So if anyone has any suggestions for some chapter books at that level I would appreciate it. We do have some Step into reading type books. I might just need to find some at her level. But I think she is sort of interested in chapter books. I'm not sure.
Thanks
Karen-Wife to Harold for 7 yrs
Mom to
Steven-21 grad of PS, Floyd-19 working on GED, Krystal-16 lives with her dad and in PS
Tabitha-6 started K Aug 2012
Amelia-4 1/2 tagging along in K
Hannah-3 Pre K and Letter of the Week
Harold III- 1