K & 1st - Favorite books and extra readers

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Julie in MN

Re: Reading book suggestions please

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 am

Here's a thread with a lot of past discussions on the topic:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4439

It's hard because maturity level doesn't always match the topics in more advanced books. Kids need to have the attention span to follow the topic through the conflict and into the resolution. However, girls are probably better at paying attention to such things than <ahem> my youngest son was :) I'd just keep up the conversation to see that she's not getting over her head in subject matter. Nothing wrong with digesting thousands of picture books, either.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 pm

The Janette Oke books reminded me of another series of books called "Three Cousins Detective Club'' by a Christian author, Elspeth Campbell Murphy. Those books appealed to both my kids because they are mysteries and they are about a girl and two boys, all of which are cousins.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Also, I just remembered a series my ds enjoyed. They are in the I Can Read series called "Made By God" and they are mostly about animals and a few about plants, I think. There are also the Bible Story books in the I Can Read series.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm

There are also the Little Bear, Frog and Toad and Mouse Soup books. Ok, so I love children's books. ;)

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 am

If you have the 2nd edition Kindergarten many of the over 400 books listed in the back of the T.M. will be easy readers and picture books (I Can Read, etc. series books). If you have the 1st edition you will still have a good list of books that she may be able to read. If you have the literature collections some of these are easy readers. Also as one person mentioned picture books can be a great resource for reading. My son read so many picture books in 2nd grade for his reading time.

Also the book "Honey for a Child's Heart" has a list of beginning readers as well as books by age level. This book is part of the MFW 1st grade curriculum, but may be purchased separately. Your librarian can also be a great resource for good reading books.

I agree with Julie that the most difficult part is choosing books that she can read, but that will not be too emotionally ahead of her age. I would not worry to much about knowing her specific reading level. The only gauge I ever had for this was yearly testing that I was required to give my kids. But then I do not even think those are completely accurate. What does it mean when it tells me that my child is 9 and comprehending on a 9th grade level. I know that it did not mean he was ready to read high school level books, but it also told me that he was reading well. I just kept trying different books looking at the size of the print (young children need larger print for their eyes up until about age 9 or 10) and also I would let them try to read a few pages. They will tell you if it is too hard for them. I also used recommended reading list that the library had for different grade levels as a guide. I did not always use the books, but it gave me an idea.

Once you reach Adventures in My Father's World you will also have two lists of books to pull from in the T.M for readers.

I hope this helps you some as you are looking for some good real books for her to read!

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Mr Putter and Tabby (but more beginning 2nd Grade reading level), Bink and Gollie series, and if she truly is at a 3rd Grade reading level, I wouldn't think it would be too soon to start The Little House series (and there would not be anything too mature in those, especially the first 5 books)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 am

My daughter loved Cynthia Rylant's books (the author of Mr. Putter and Tabby series). This book is listed in the K list too. That reminded me of another series called The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook (Series) by Brisley and my children loved The Box Car Children by Warner. Be sure with those you get the earlier books (I think the 1st one is the best) since the latter books are not written by her. My kids also loved Homer Price (McCloskey--one of my favorite authors) and the Borrowers (Norton). These last two I think I remember are a little higher on the reading level.

Hope that helps too!

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:32 am

kewkew34 wrote:Hi, I could use a little advice choosing some books for my daughter to read. Tabitha is almost 6 (her birthday is at the end of January). She has been reading since she was about 3.5 year old.
It's been awhile, but I was in those shoes . . . I glanced through the thread that Julie linked to refresh my memory. Almost everything by Cynthia Rylant is good: Henry and Mudge series, Poppleton series, Mr. Putter and Tabby series, Cobble Street Cousin series (more advanced). Jean Van Leeuwen is great, too: Oliver and Amanda Pig series. I'd hold off on American Girl books until around age 8 - just my preference. Amelia Bedelia books are great fun. So are Clifford the Big Red Dog books. Reading for enjoyment is a beautiful thing in a 6 year old. I think reading lots and lots of fun books rather than plowing through Heidi or Charlotte's Web is better for fostering the love of reading. My dd did enjoy some heavy chapter books at that age, but usually after I had read them to her first. She loved to sit with a basket full of easy readers and go through 10 books at a time. The librarians would always ask her, "Are you going to read all of these?" and she would reply, "Yep! And I'll be back next week!" We checked out 80-100 books per week back then, and she would reread her favorites over and over.
kewkew34 wrote:Then I was also hoping someone would be able to explain how, if she is reading to herself, I figure out if she is comprehending what she is reading. And should I still be having her read something out loud to me? I know one of the reasons I went with MFW was because I like the idea of some of the things in Charlotte Mason, like narration, but I don't quite understand how to have her do that at her age. I would appreciate any and all advice on this please.
I would have her read aloud to you for a few minutes a day. But not from Tree House - from a picture book. Pick something below grade level for having her read to you. Reading aloud is an entirely different skill. As far as comprehending what she is reading on her own, that can as simple as having a conversation with her. "What did you like best about that book?" "Who was your favorite character in that book?" Get her talking about the plot line a bit (without calling it that!) and just enjoy the stories.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

MuzzaBunny

Looking for easy-to-read books for new reader

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:52 pm

arosemalone wrote:I am looking for ideas for easy to read books for my 6-year-old. She is at the stage of beginning to read three-sound words, such as fat, cat, pop, bug, etc. Most, if not all, of the easy readers I found in our local library are too advanced for her. I'm looking for something with mainly short vowels and not a lot of sight words. It would be great if she could read the whole book herself. She thinks that since she is just reading short words here and there in the course of a lesson, she is not really reading, and although I tried to explain to her that it takes time to learn to read well enough to read a lot of different words, she doesn't seem to understand that. I think it would really help her morale if she had some readers that she could read all the way through without a lot of help. Learning God's Story has a Bible reader, but we are only in Week 2 and haven't progressed to that level of reading yet.
She sounds to me like she needs some BOB books! Your library might have them; I know ours does. The "advancing beginners" were great for my DD when she was at that stage and did a lot to build her confidence. (She was so super excited to read a whole book to me or Daddy or Poppa!) If your library has an online catalog, just search for "Bob books" and see if you can find anything. Those terms turn them up in mine.

Some titles for searching from the advancing beginners pack are: Fun in the Sun, 0-10, The Big Hat, The Sad Cat, OK Kids, Rub-a-dub, The Red Hen, Sox the Fox

Hope you find some that work. That is SUCH an exciting time in teaching our little ones! :)
Bunny

Mom2theteam

Re: Looking for easy-to-read books for new reader

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:19 pm

BOB Books! Absolutely!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:30 pm

I find it very hard to locate short-vowel-only readers, without sight words mixed in. I agree that Bob Books are some of the few. There are also short vowel readers by Common Sense Press and Educational Insights and a few other publishers if you google for "short vowel readers." However, again many add in a lot of sight words.

There might also be some ideas on this thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6176

Another good resource for these young readers is Starfall online.

I've told my grandson that kindergarten reading is the first part of reading, and that in kindergarten he only learns one sound for each letter -- the most important sound! When we come to a different sound or a blending of letters (ae, ph, etc.), I tell him that is first grade reading and he'll be learning that later, so I will just tell him what it says for now. It seems to help, in his case.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:37 am

Here are some suggestions I made from previous posts from the link Julie posted:

Now I'm Reading series Level 1 by Nora Gaydos. There are two 10 book sets in level 1. We have the two sets: Animal Antics and Playful Pals. There is also an advanced level 1 set as well.

Dr. Maggie's Phonics Readers set 1. These are a bit more difficult but my dd really enjoyed these as they are of a higher interest level than most beginning readers.

Starfall Learn to Read books. Book 1 only has short a words, Book 2 short e, etc. Starfall dot com also has a lot of great games and such for beginning readers, too. I think Amazon also carries the Starfall set, too. There are 15 books in the set but only the first 5 have words with the short vowel sounds.

I also printed some e-books for my ds when he was in K a few years ago. The books are free but you have to register with the site to print them. You can view some samples before you decide to register though. The site is progressivephonics dot com.They are books that the parent and the child read together. The parent reads the bulk of the 1 page story and the child reads the words that are in bold red letters. She (my dd) really enjoys these books because she doesn't have to read and struggle with every word but is still participating in the reading. We sometimes do this in other books but she seems to enjoy these better because she knows what words are "hers" to read before they come up because they are in bold red letters. The books we use are the ones listed on their site under the "phonics" tab.

Wow, those were suggestions from 2009. How time flies.

Also look for 'Start to Read' Level 1 books which include 'The Gum on the Drum' and 'Jog, Frog, Jog' and 'Real Kids Readers' Level 1 which include 'hop, Skip, Run' and 'The Tin Can Man'. We also have a couple of books I purchased used with many short stories that progressively get a little more difficult. One is 'I Can Read It!' Book 1 by John Holzmann and an A Beka Book called 'Fun With Pets' by Laurel Hicks and Carolyn Rowlinson.

Another book I really like but that is a bit pricy is the first book from All About Reading by Marie Rippel and Renee LaTulippe called 'Run, Bug, Run!' Level 1 Volume 1. The other books become progressively more difficult.

Both my kids are dyslexic so we were stuck on CVC books for a longer time than most which is why I seem to have a lot of suggestions. ;)

HTH

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:11 pm

It looks like Starfall now has another set called 'Short Vowel Pals'. There are 16 books in this set and it looks like all of them only use short vowels. The originals were favorites of my kids.

arosemalone

Unread post by arosemalone » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am waiting for the BOB books to be returned to our library, I asked to have them held for us. I found some free short vowel readers online and printed them out. DD was very excited to read one of them, about a cat and a hat, today. I agree, it is a very exciting time for us. :-) I will post the link in case this might help anyone else: https://sites.google.com/site/phonicsre ... cs-readers

Erna

Unread post by Erna » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:50 am

http://www.smilebooksproductions.com has a set of phonics readers that start off simply and increase in difficulty with each book.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:40 am

Go, Dog, Go! is another one they can usually handle around her point of reading. You could find it at your library.

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:37 pm

The readers that All About Reading has were great for my son when he first started reading.
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:10 pm

BOB Books!! They are phonics controlled and perfect for beginning readers. Public libraries should have them but if not, Costco sells the collections at a very reasonable price ($9.99 per collection of ~18 books).
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K